Frustration With The Unbalanced Game

33 replies to this topic

#21 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

there are alot of things that makes this game unbalanced. pay2win is not one of them

#22 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Only 6 games. I have had days where I was wondering if I would get a win or others where it seemed I could not lose. Some times it is the luck of the draw, and others, just position when contact is made. I even started playing in 2012, and sometimes, you watch players and wonder how in the world did they pull that off, or die in a blaze of oops.

As for Pay to Win. Someone can master a few mechs keep what they like with just 4 mechs in the free bays or as free mechs and mech bays are offered. PGI did a few things to keep this game from being play to win, and add some free mechs for wins or a mech bay has been one of the best developments. Even the hero mechs may not be the best of every type of mech, but they do allow you to shorten the grind.

Now, new player friendly, ................. there is a lot to say on that.

There is the tutorial, twitch feeds, youtube and some guides produced by players to read. Most requires effort by the new player to find, without being pointed in the right direction.

Do not be afraid to ask for help in the game chat, some people may help or god forbid, invite you into a 2 or 4 man group with directions to get on voice coms like Teamspeake. Why learn yourself, when you can gain that wisdom from others that did make those mistakes.

#23 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

I am not going to say anything original in this post. Let me be upfront about that. I will say that everything that has been posted above me is also true for myself. It's important that I tag this post on so that you can see that you are not getting an opinion from just a few players. Almost all players whether they post here or not will agree with the above statements. I am privileged enough to be able to spend a little bit of my fun money on this game, and I have! I will be the first to say that it has not I repeat NOT given me any advantages. I suck at this game, and I love the game for just that fact. It's hard, and that is what makes it worth my time. :-)

#24 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

This game is about skill, yes. But, days it seems matchmaker either hates you, or Paul is at the controls (inside community joke regarding the games lead designer, who is also known to troll the forums. In a playful, blowing off lead designer steam.)

I have had days of 4-6 rounds of Terra therma or alpine peaks. Days I fail horribly and lose all night long... I have been playing MechWarrior straight for about 4 years, with a while played before MWO was playable called MechWarrior Living Legends. So, do not worry. Keep at it, and best advice is hit up a community teamspeak server or join a mwo player unit. There are a lot to choose from.

#25 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

As has been said over, and over. This game is not pay-to-win. While I have spent money on mech bays, hero mechs and even paint (I bought all of the shades of purple about a week before they went on sale, argh!!), and I have been playing MWO for almost 2 years, I have just the same chance to win (or lose) as somebody else. Sometimes, I lose because the other guys is better, but if we're honest, usually I lose because I made a mistake. As a new player, there are a LOT of mistakes that you WILL be making, and any one of those could be match ending. All you can do is learn from the mistakes, learn the maps, and stay with your team. TS and grouping up is not required, but it helps. Then again, so does communicating with your team in game. I found early on that if my team mates communicated early, it was usually a good sign. If I liked their play style and how well they did, I would send them a friend request. If they accepted, I dropped with them as often as I could. Again, learn from your mistakes and learn from the experienced team mates that you drop with. If you send me a friend request, I will drop with you when I can. But most importantly, good luck and have fun. Also, I find that if I am having a losing streak, sometimes changing mechs helps.

#26 Anvil ZA

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

If I can add my 2 cents here, I agree with what has been said so far, but a lot of people have said something that is remarkably true. Best advice is to join a TS server etc... Now for poor shmucks like me who live in a backward country where my hardline connection is too slow to even play MWO, that is not an option. I am currently using a 3g usb dongle on an equally dodgy cell network, so communication is unheard of (the bandwidth would never support MWO and TS) except in-game text, which happens very rarely. I have just come out the game now, 7~ish pm my time, after a string of 9 not just losses, but humiliating defeats. The issue is that around this time on a weekend, it's midday-ish in most US areas, and the premades are out in force. Which leaves PUGs (and a lot of newbies are PUGs) slamming their heads on their keyboards as they get stomped game after game. /end rant

In short, yes, join a TS server and drop with a group. But if you can't, even some text communication can make the difference between a "seriously, you've got to be kidding" loss and a close game or even victory. Don't give up, when you get that 1000+ dmg victory and you feel like god of all mechs it makes it all worth it.

#27 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostDaggan, on 18 April 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

I just wanted to express how new player unfriendly this game is.

6 matches played this morning. 6 losses.

All I can say it this pay to win game is not going to get any of my money.

when in rome, run a meta build.

honestly you're not competing for anything, go wild and have fun and DON'T constrain yourself to some self made rules and continue playing because that is fantasy land. You can't expect other people to follow "Daggan's MWO Rules" when its PGI's game. I could understand your concerns about imbalance if this was a competitive game where people were paid with ingame cash or real world cash, but the bottom line is if the game does not agree with you then do not play. nobody is holding a gun to your head and if you don't want to play but keep doing it anyway, you are addicted due to a time investment and need to realize that when it comes to enjoyment, its worth binning an unsuccessful time investment for one that is successful, and the more time you spend on the unsuccessful one the harder it will be to play something else. I'm not telling you to leave mind you, I'm telling you that its YOUR free time and its your responsibility to spend it how you like. Personally I don't agree with a number of things in this game, its very imbalanced and young game and the only thing keeping me around is that I want to fill out my garage with virtual wealth so that if the game does become competitive then I have the tools required to compete, but I digress. Pgi is pretty amateur when it comes to this sort of thing, and they're still learning. The rules of the game and whether its successful or not relies on their ability to attract income from players until they can build something genuinely sustainable, so perhaps the attitude you should be having is not "EVERYTHING THEY DO SUCKS MY WALLET IS CLOSED" but "Do I see this game headed in a direction I like in the future and is it worth a potential investment?", and that is something you can only do with research. Personally, wasn't too thrilled with overlord, I was weighing between overlord or a new-ish videocard, and the videocard won out because I don't really play mwo that much. as far as clan mechs go, I really like the design a bundle setup, however between last months inexplicably large power bill despite using the same kwh, and this months uncertainty plus unexpected expenses, I am not prioritizing a clan pack. But I'd probably get the nova pack if I could.

#28 Lorgarn

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

It is. And they want it that way. Ether stuff your rage or quit, there is no other choice.

#29 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostLorgarn, on 19 April 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

It is. And they want it that way. Ether stuff your rage or quit, there is no other choice.

Translation?

View PostLorgarn, on 19 April 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

I dislike how they are doing things so I am accusing them of one of the worst aspects of F2P, despite all lack of evidence to support my claim.

#30 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

OP;

You are one of twelve people in a match. Even if have a fantastic match, if the other 11 people... heck if just SOME of the other 11 players let you down in their skill or play, you will lose. this is why KDR has some value. It let's you know how effective you are in match. I would also like to point out, that it takes about 100-200 matches before you will start getting comfortable in playing the game, learning how to maneouver and all the things you need to start winning and be effective.

I would mention that you will do better once you join a group. Win or loss, you will enjoy the game so much more.

Edited by Kjudoon, 19 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#31 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hey if you need help stop by our TS3... Atlashunters.enjinvoice.com no password needed or our web site atlashunters.enjin.com
I would be glad to help you get started . Im not asking you to join or nothing im just offering to help you learn the game and help you out !

Take Care!

#32 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

In the last 4 months PGI has given away 2 mechs and 3 mech bays,..... even if you sell the giveaway mechs that still gives you 7 mech bays for eliting mechs. Not Pay to play at all. The game is getting better and the giveaways are helping to make the game greater. Hang on and join a group on teamspeak. Like Clan Coyote in the Clan forum train with others and earn ranks in trials of position. The game can be a hell of alot of fun with team assaults Clan 12 on 12 matches.

Edited by SaltBeef, 19 April 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#33 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yes, there is a pretty step learning curve...

6 loses out of 6... come talk to me when you loose 15 of 15, or 20 of 20 in a row running PUG's..

The game is actually PLAY to win... Grind some c-bills, Grind some GXP, buy some mechs with those c-bills, Grind more C-bills to customize equipment and Add modules...

You can skip the Grind c-bills for buying mechs by paying some money and even that will cost ya 5 or 10 bucks.. How many great online games can you just spend 5 or 10 bucks, and have just as great of an experience as someone that spent 2000, not many that i know of... But that is is.. Everything else requires, Play, Just like almost any online game i have ever played.. People playing for months will have an advantage than someone that just started..

You could have a Mech, with modules, and outfited right, and you would still get your Butt kicked for a month or two...

Edited by JC Daxion, 19 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#34 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

OP's first topic before this one was about losing his first 30 odd matches. He's just super upset he keeps losing and vented it by making this thread. This thread now serves no purpose and should be closed imo.

I posted in the wrong thread. If there is anyone offended by my comments i apologize.

Edited by dragnier1, 21 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users