My Thoughts On Mwo

128 replies to this topic

#101 Saryonarve

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Rule number 1: Do not feed the trolls...

#102 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 21 April 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

wellll there ARE premium modules that get the effect of the module + plus an upgrade but still only take up 1 slot....PAY TO WIN!!!

Every premium item can be replicated by upgraded the normal c-bill variant.

View PostSaryonarve, on 21 April 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

But then they'll starve and we'll get a tv commercial asking us for only 3 cents a day.

#103 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 21 April 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

wellll there ARE premium modules that get the effect of the module + plus an upgrade but still only take up 1 slot....PAY TO WIN!!!

Which falls apart again with some GXP use :)

#104 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostSaryonarve, on 21 April 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

Rule 2: Do not feed the trolls on a Canadian day of rest when the mods aren't here to jettison a thread.

#105 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

MWO does this perfect I think.

Have time but no money for silly game = Play the game & enjoy yourself.
Have money but no time for silly game = Pay the game & enjoy yourself.

All that money is doing is leveling out the playing field, not everyone can spend every waking hour playing the game and not everyone can spend every single cent buying the game.

#106 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 21 April 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

In respect for your complete and utter lack of sense, I present you this fluffy bunny.

Posted Image

Quoted for awesomeness - and stating that I completely plan to use this in the future!

#107 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostJherej, on 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Rant? Why?Because
How am I supposed to stay together with a team. When drop I get selected random noobs and have like 10 times in a row when we lose because they spread out thinking they can lonewolf 3 Atlas in a trial jenner.
I cant go social with people because I see everyone once or twice in my team and next day I am fighting them. Can't join a clan and practice team tactics.
How am I supposed to select the mech according to the map? Going with a laser boat into a vulcan pit? Who with a sane mind would do that? Going missile boat into the city? Stratedicaly selecting your mech? Nope, not in this game.
Meanwhile it is pay to win through and through. People load up their accounts with buckets of MC and buy all the stuff you need to win.
Then the physics of the weapons are a freaking joke.
After all, this game feels like a beta of a bad rework of the great mechwarrior series. I was playing MW3 for more than two years and I had gread fun there. Nothing what makes mechwarrior is possible here. Unfortunately its the only mechwarrior online game thats available...

The game isnt pay to win what so ever! You need to find a mech that fits your play style. Once I found my Cent, I've been wrecking face as long as I play to its strengths and not its weaknesses.

You cant do anything about map advantages/disadvantages.

The biggest issue with this game is the Dev's trying to hold on to core MW lore stats instead of breaking free and becoming a true FPS.

View PostJherej, on 21 April 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

I doubt that. I have 4 bays, so I had one for city, one for ice desert, one for hot desert and maybe one for low grav suroundings.
I dont want to make one jack-of-all-trades. Thats boring.

I just found this gem of a post....This is why you are failing...

Edited by mogs01gt, 22 April 2014 - 04:48 AM.

#108 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 April 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

I just found this gem of a post....This is why you are failing...

so? Why is it fail wanting a fitting mech for a map type?

View PostRhaythe, on 21 April 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

In respect for your complete and utter lack of sense, I present you this fluffy bunny.

This is a nice argument that convinces me... not.

All has been said about p2w aspect of the game and I gave examples of what is NOT p2w

#109 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

After all, you all seem not to have much to say besides the p2w argument while I pointed out much more. I just visited the forums for recruitmen and it is a mess. Anyone really expecting to read all the threads there and then pick a fraction just to notice that most of their active players are not in my timezone, or asking like 100 teams?

Also the problems with MM and the randomness and aimless of the gameplay is still not disproved. Might be some of you like to play totally random matches with totally random strangers but for me it gets pretty old. I can't even find tactics because everyone in that game just sings their lonewolf song.

Edited by Jherej, 22 April 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#110 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:16 AM

View PostJherej, on 22 April 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

After all, you all seem not to have much to say besides the p2w argument while I pointed out much more. I just visited the forums for recruitmen and it is a mess. Anyone really expecting to read all the threads there and then pick a fraction just to notice that most of their active players are not in my timezone, or asking like 100 teams?

Also the problems with MM and the randomness and aimless of the gameplay is still not disproved. Might be some of you like to play totally random matches with totally random strangers but for me it gets pretty old. I can't even find tactics because everyone in that game just sings their lonewolf song.

THE ONLY REASON WE KEEP BRINGING UP THE P2W IS BECAUSE OF HOW SKEWED YOUR BELIEF IN THE SYSTEM IS.
THERE IS NOTHING IN MWO YOU CAN'T BUY WITH IN GAME MONEY.

Well you make the argument, "By buying you're able to get an Atlas and pwn everyone 10 times faster." -Sarcastic Quote, you didn't say this so don't get your panties in a knot.

You can buy most of the locust with the cadet bonus early on, if you are SKILLED you could be the downfall of mechs 2x, 4x, even 5x bigger than you.

Once again Atlas cost money, person loves Atlas but can't play the game often enought to earn the c-bills, they can then purchase their atlas as to have the love of their favorite mech and the ability to pla ya game they now enjoy.

#111 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostSkye Storm, on 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

But then they'll starve and we'll get a tv commercial asking us for only 3 cents a day.

My god, I almost woke the house up (6 AM over here) laughing at this.

#112 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

First part can be easily solved when you drop with a group.

Second part is even easier to solve:use team chat. That's what I do when I drop solo, sometimes I get players that immediately respond, other times I get players that don't cooperate. Usually the entire team distances themselves from the ones that won't cooperate, and thus force those guys to either come with us, or go on their own.

I've led teams with just chat, I've also had games where literally no one followed my instructions. The important thing is that I tried, and when people responded, win or lose, we usually had a fun game.

First part can be easily solved when you drop with a group.

Second part is even easier to solve:use team chat. That's what I do when I drop solo, sometimes I get players that immediately respond, other times I get players that don't cooperate. Usually the entire team distances themselves from the ones that won't cooperate, and thus force those guys to either come with us, or go on their own.

I've led teams with just chat, I've also had games where literally no one followed my instructions. The important thing is that I tried, and when people responded, win or lose, we usually had a fun game.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 April 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#113 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

@OP:

you did put your stick in an anthill with the whole Pay-to-Win thing. I think your problem here is that you are using a Diablo-ish approach. I might bring up D2, where part of the "competition" was making your character as strong as possible. When someone used real world cash to buy his gear and skip all the grind that "normal" players had to do, that might have been frustrating - not being able to keep up on the ladder, bacause for all the time you spent playing, someone could just buy himself a better character and outperform you in every way.

As for MWO - that simply does not apply. Yes, you can buy an Atlas, or a fully tricked-out Ilya, or any of the other 'mechs currently considered to be among the best in the game. Thing is - you are not using ALL OF THEM in a single game. It doesn't matter if someone has a stable of 64 fully loaded mechs, or just one - you only get to bring one mech to the game anyway.

All the "stuff" can be obtained with in-game credits (c-bills) very easily - especially with the cadet bonus giving you free c-bills. No one here is "beating you because they've bought stuff they would otherwise have to earn".

There is no "merit system" here - nothing is awarded for achievement and people are not buying their way past anything but time. Technically, you could put a gerbil at your computer, and lose 500 games straight and still get enough c-bills to buy a mech. A horrible player will still be able to buy the best mech in the game given enough time, and the MC purchase simply gives him the option to skip the grind.

At the core of your argument of "paying for power" lies the belief, that people can buy with real money, something they neither earned nor deserve. And that's what annoys people.

As for your other concerns - it happens. FSM knows i've vented more than a few times in team chat my frustration at incompetent teammates, who seem to do exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. The social options is there, and user-defined matches are coming IIRC.

And on "selecting the perfect tool for the job" - that's a nice dream, and you're welcome to keep dreaming. A mechwarrior in the battletech universe was happy to pilot any mech at all - even taking a WSP-1W to a sniper fight is better than being disposessed. If you build a "one trick pony", then it's entirely your fault if you get screwed by battlefield conditios - next time take into account the possibility of having to fight on a hot map, or in tight spaces.

Having "1 mech for urban combat, one for arctic, one for hot desert etc.." isn't the only, or even the best way to go. Try building whatever you feel like playing, and adapt to whatever comes your way. Crying that the "evil game dropped your redline LLasboat into Mordor again" isn't very professional.

#114 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 21 April 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

Rule 2: Do not feed the trolls on a Canadian day of rest when the mods aren't here to jettison a thread.

I honestly don't think this thread would survive in K-Town. Then again, it's 6 pages in and it's only 2 days old, who knows.

#115 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

No thread survives

K-town

they Thrive here.

we make threads better.

such as with my favorite bunny

demotivational poster:

Posted Image

I mean really

you do you see his

tongue?

i mean that's

hilarious.

It's funny

cause he's

gonna lick the

hedge hog

and hedge hogs are sharp

and sharp things

on a tongue hurt.

I mean you have to see the

humor here.

Really,

I mean it's also funny

because cute is funny

and stupid is funny

and cute coming to harm

because of stupid is funny.

It's not a

Tragedy so the whole time thing

doesn't come into play

but really

Bunny licking a hedgehog

comedy gold right there.

And on top of

that there's

the anthropomorphization

I mean that hedgehog is looks grumpy

and it's like a visual pun

he's spiky on the outside and

spiky emotionally

I can't believe i have to explain all of this.

why can't you

all

just appreciate a bunny trying to lick

a hedgehog

without making me

ruin it by

explaining every little

nuance.

You forced me to this.

I blame you,

not not you

That guy

in the back.

You sir are a **** and

should probably go lick a hedgehog.

Edited by Agent of Change, 24 April 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#116 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostAgent of Change, on 24 April 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

I don't know why it got funnier and funnier the more I read it.

Thank you AoC. That brightened my day.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 24 April 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#117 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 April 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

I don't know why it got funnier and funnier the more I read it.

Thank you AoC. That brightened my day.

i aim

to please

though honestly

i think that poster

needs to be studied for

it philosophical implications

and its hypnotic abilities

it seems to

tap into an almost

unending well of funny.

#118 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostAgent of Change, on 24 April 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

i aim

to please

though honestly

i think that poster

needs to be studied for

it philosophical implications

and its hypnotic abilities

it seems to

tap into an almost

unending well of funny.

^ +1 for xmas tree formation

#119 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 18 April 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Really? What stuff is that?

No, seriously, I want to know what one can buy with MC, but not with C-Bills, that one needs to win.

Or, more to the point, this is a call-out. I'm calling you out on this.

There is no mech in this game called 'Stuff'. No weapon called 'stuff'. No module called 'stuff'. There is no STUFF XL engine, no Double Stuff Sinks, no MC-only Stuff Cannons or 20-tube heat-seeking stuff missiles.

So, what STUFF can only be had for MC or cash and is needed in order to win?

Is this the Stuff you are talking about?

#120 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users