The (Un-)Official Mechcommander 2 Thread!

99 replies to this topic

#21 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

but does it run on Windows 8?
(or 7 for that matter)

For me it runs on 8 (it crashes out of fullscreen after every match but you can hit "Continue" and it should go back to full)

It also runs on my 7.

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

OK..well downloaded the source code, but have no clue how to run it. By your description I assumed on ecoul drun the old PvE game from it, but I am guessing I misread? (I am not the most computer savvy guy, lol)

#23 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

OK..well downloaded the source code, but have no clue how to run it. By your description I assumed on ecoul drun the old PvE game from it, but I am guessing I misread? (I am not the most computer savvy guy, lol)

Open the install location, find the folder "FinalBuild," then find the file "Mc2Rel.exe"

#24 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Didn't find this thread earlier, but I approve of it! :D BTW, I've created missions in the past, but I haven't successfully done too many missions thus far. I'm interested in those three missions, will be willing to play through them. In fact, you should ask Wolfman if you could try to somehow publish a campaign release like Rollin's or Starfox's (the rebirth of the white company campaign and the borderworlds campaign). I was planning on making a MWO and MWLL based campaign, but not until later, at least until MWO comes out with Clans/Community Warfare and Warlords of the Rim Colonies also comes out, which will be a while. Anyway, good topic. :rolleyes:

#25 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

View Postluxebo, on 27 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Didn't find this thread earlier, but I approve of it! :D

I DIDN"T ASK FOR YOUR APPROVAL!

Kidding, I'm glad you like it. I plan to find a a way for those who want to to collaborate on a campaign project.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 28 April 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#26 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 26 April 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

For me it runs on 8 (it crashes out of fullscreen after every match but you can hit "Continue" and it should go back to full)

It also runs on my 7.

Same here. The occasional crash and some times the after mission pilot report will not show the pilot portraits and pilot stats, but a restart usually fixes that. I just wish the cut scenes would play.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 28 April 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 26 April 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Open the install location, find the folder "FinalBuild," then find the file "Mc2Rel.exe"

Ah! Thanks! It's running in windowed mode, and like a champ! Awesome I missed this game! Now if only MW2 and 3 were so simple! (Have failed horribly trying to DosBox them!)

#28 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

(Have failed horribly trying to DosBox them!)

(Nice to know I am not the only one)

Glad to hear you got MWT2 running though :D

#29 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Like my new sig?

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 30 April 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Like my new sig?

More than a lot of other sigs I see around at least :D

#31 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Can this work with Mechcommander Omnitech?

#32 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

No, My missions run on Wolfman X.

Granted, most of the advice I give can be applied to any mission making at all.

#33 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostWill9761, on 03 May 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Can this work with Mechcommander Omnitech?

Mechcommander Omnitech and Wolfman-x (MC2X) are two very different things. They cannot work together (missions created in MCO vs MC2X can't be transfered.)

MCO and MC2X differences: (just for future reference)
MCO:
-More battletech related
-Many mechs and stuff, and models/mechs more updated, as the producer (Magic) contacts people/creates them himself and models are created faster. (Raven IIC here also created a few models, like the Champion).
-Campaigns must be separately downloaded into one big file (easily corrupted, but takes much less space to run all of them).
-Campaigns are sometimes buggy due to not all bugs ironed out and not all of them are made by the actual production team (The only campaigns that instantly come with the version 304 is Mechwarrior 2 Mercs and Exodus).
-Update posts are there, but it'll take very long to get another version out or even never, as mostly Magic is still working on it by himself (could be wrong here).
-Most campaigns and run-throughs are dependent on purchasing one by one (like this game and MC1). Also, most campaigns allow you to keep resource points left over.
-Campaigns are hard due to the lack of general resources in most, but not all campaigns (very especially MW2 Mercs and Exodus).
-UI is 100% restructured.
-The K button has formations.
-The editor cannot, I repeat cannot, allow you to control vehicles, infantry, dropships, or aerospace, at least without super amounts of coding.
-The editor is not so organized, so be careful around it. It will allow more mech selection (like the Thunderbolt and Stalker when MC2X don't have them) however.
-The editor is less user friendly.
-Links: MCO forums: http://www.hard-ligh...php?board=210.0 (somewhat active) MCO moddb page: http://www.moddb.com...mander-omnitech MCO gamethrough of Carver V (older edition): Bert Bargo (he used to game in MWO as well, but he didn't like the direction it was going and gave up on it): https://www.youtube....9IMXDgfK3yNleiX

MC2X:
-Less Battletech related, but still related in general.
-A lot of very overpowered mech variants and weapons. If some of the weapons were in Mechwarrior Online, the QQ level would be over9000, literally. (I mean rapid fire Gauss? AC20 with no ammo and no heat, and basically one shot anywhere is an instant kill?)
-Mechs come from MCO, but maybe have revisions and such, so not the same exactly.
-Campaigns are in separate files, and will take a lot of space up. However, with the first few run-throughs of each, most bugs will be ironed out and it's a lot better and fluent to play through most MC2X missions/campaigns Wolfman makes. Likely David's will be just a good. :P
-ui is just like MC2 without mods. I think at least. Warlords of the Rim Colonies add a few awesome components however, look at the moddb page.
-Campaigns are very very very very very (cannot emphasize on how hard some of them are), as you don't have enough resources in some, some are just super difficult and require really good gaming experience with it, etc. Even Wolfman himself has said before that it's almost impossible to win in some of his missions.
-I suggest starting with Dead End campaign, then maybe Mother's Clan campaign, Driftwood campaign, and Houdini campaign later. Triple campaign edition is beyond difficult, it's very hard. Rebirth and Borderworlds are very interesting campaigns and more related to the battletech universe, they are also somewhat easier but still very hard. They're created by Starfox and Rollin respectively.
-The editor can allow usage of vehicles, infantry, dropships, and aerospace.
-The editor is more organized and more user friendly, with many side tools to save you tons of trouble in creating good missions to play.
-Links: Wolfman-x forums: http://z8.invisionfr...orum/index.php? (dormant, but has tons of info) Warlords of the Rim Colonies moddb page: http://www.moddb.com...he-rim-colonies

So, as said, they're like apples and oranges. Or Locusts and Atlases.

#34 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Postluxebo, on 03 May 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

-Campaigns are very very very very very (cannot emphasize on how hard some of them are), as you don't have enough resources in some, some are just super difficult and require really good gaming experience with it, etc. Even Wolfman himself has said before that it's almost impossible to win in some of his missions.

I had to fix two or three missions in Pictures of a Rebellion. List or missions with bugs:

Mission 5:
  • You have to move a BroadSword, which (for me at least) can't move anywhere besides a straight line
  • You have to equip a BroadSword, which requires you sell everything you own.
  • You have to equip a BroadSword, which needs 300 ton, yet you only have 100.
  • You have to salvage Executioners, which requires a BroadSword.
Mission 6:
  • To secure a Pollux, you have to kill the pilots. That doesn't work.
  • Not only, but your idiot pilots will not stop targeting the bloody vehicles.
Mission 2 is barely possible, I've done it once or twice though (nowdays I just "fix" it because I don't have the time to waste doing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over).

Btw I will be uploading my campaign ideas and getting a file sharing account. Hopefully we (the MC2 lovers) will be able to do the campaign. It is big, long, and inspired by none other than Pictures of a Rebellion (and it is built around BT canon, which makes it all the better ;))

Edited by DavidHurricane, 05 May 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#35 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Today I present to you... the Lost Ages campaign (concept design)!

I have 41 missions planned out, and could use some help with them. Even if I managed to make about 12 of my own in a month, this is a whole different story.

If you have mission making skills, PM me and I will see were you may fit. Roles to play:

Story Design:
DavidHurricane

Mission design (object placement):
DavidHurricane

Map design (textures/height maps):
DavidHurricane

Progress:
  • Variants designed
  • Overall Mission storyline designed (not per mission)
  • Story line designed
  • Mission 2 designed
  • Mission 4 designed
More details and specifics coming soon!

Edited by DavidHurricane, 05 May 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#36 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

I believe Triple Campaign Edition fixes those specific bugs? I could be wrong though, but I know they're specific patches for those POAR campaigns. (Triple Campaign Edition comes with Dark Rain, Tango, and Pictures of a Rebellion.)

I'm definitely interested in playing through that campaign! If I can find some more time, I might be able to help with the mission making, though I'm not super good at it. 41 missions is quite the large campaign, so it may take a while to make it completely. In fact, I would suggest waiting/porting to Warlords of the Rim Colonies' version of MC2X so you can have more different mechs/builds/options. Best of luck to the campaign. :)

#37 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

It would be very cool to have a new campaign to play for old MechCommander 2!

Good luck with the project!

#38 ZizZazZuz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationin the r/OutreachHPG Discord server

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hello, I need the audio and image assets from MC2 for a project I'm working on, but I can't find them in the folder. Can someone point me in the right direction?

#39 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

Have you downloaded and looked through the MC2 source code?
It was released by Microsoft a while ago, and you can get it here: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=11457

Everything (except for multiplayer and some other stuff) should be included in the source release.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Raven IIC, 16 June 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#40 ZizZazZuz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationin the r/OutreachHPG Discord server

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thanks, but I don't need the code, just the art (and sound) files. And I know I have them, because I own the game. I just don't know where they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users