16 replies to this topic

#1 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

My unit is looking for friends/allies but everyone seems to use teamspeak. I have a good computer but TS always crashes my MWO client for some reason. So if you use ventrilo, aren't miserable to getalong with and like to have fun send me a pm plZ:)

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

I don't use Vent (usually) but best of luck to ya

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Are you using OverWolf with TS and MW:O? I know there used to be a problem with that combo. Uninstalling OverWolf solved it.

#4 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 April 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

Are you using OverWolf with TS and MW:O? I know there used to be a problem with that combo. Uninstalling OverWolf solved it.

Overwolf also had issues with MSI afterburner, I think it even says so at least the first time you launch.

#5 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

i'm not sure. i dont know what overwolf is. we have been using vent since closed beta and just renewed our subscription, maybe next year we will try out ts. thanks :(

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

I was looking through all the Recruitment threads for you, but it seems everyone uses TS3, and there is the one Lowtax Mumble channel. :(

#7 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

I typically use Skype for group play.

#8 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

Vent seems...antiquated in this day and age. Used it back in the early Minecraft days and performance was poor even then.

Mumble/murmur is supposedly superior technically because it uses better voice codecs, and it's open source so there's no weird licensing or virtual servers involved like TS3. No one really seems to care about it though.

Skype isn't really ideal for gaming because it has high bandwidth usage and has no push-to-talk or VOX (last I checked). But everyone's familiar with it, along with TS3.

So, I suppose it's a tradeoff no matter what you pick.

#9 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostThatBum42, on 19 April 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Vent seems...antiquated in this day and age. Used it back in the early Minecraft days and performance was poor even then.

Mumble/murmur is supposedly superior technically because it uses better voice codecs, and it's open source so there's no weird licensing or virtual servers involved like TS3. No one really seems to care about it though.

Skype isn't really ideal for gaming because it has high bandwidth usage and has no push-to-talk or VOX (last I checked). But everyone's familiar with it, along with TS3.

So, I suppose it's a tradeoff no matter what you pick.

Vent is old, and doesn't handle packet loss very well. One of the guilds I was in back in the day, was pushed to use Vent because "it was better then TS3" as it was said. Needless to say, they went back to the TS3 server only after 2 weeks of constant issues with peoples internets (and a little bit of "I told you so" from me lol). Also its Codec quality is very very bad compared to TS3, as TS gives you a good mix of quality sound with minimal bandwidth needs.

Mumble is just as bad as Vent. Raidcall is actually good tho (I was surprised with it when I used it once).

Skype is terribad, no PTT functions, and massive bandwidth needs, with only decent quality, should never...EVER, be an option for any real gamer.

Case in point, use Teamspeak, it has more integrations with far more things then any other service could dream of. And for those of you having "issues" using the TS with MW:O, run TS3 as an Admin on your computer, solves a lot of issues.

#10 Buckaroo Banzai 88

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Ventrillo sounds better than TS. Perhaps because all the people with shitty connections are on the TS servers? Maybe because TS server owners are cheap and only use low bandwidth codecs?

In any case, all the TS gaming servers I have gone on sound like shit so not sure where this "TS uses better codecs" thing has come from, unless sounding like shit is the goal....

#11 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostBuckaroo Banzai 88, on 19 April 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Ventrillo sounds better than TS. Perhaps because all the people with shitty connections are on the TS servers? Maybe because TS server owners are cheap and only use low bandwidth codecs?

In any case, all the TS gaming servers I have gone on sound like shit so not sure where this "TS uses better codecs" thing has come from, unless sounding like shit is the goal....

Expanding more on what happened to the other group.

A lot of the people who pushed for the Vent switch, were the ones having major sound issues. That is, they sounded fine on TS but on Vent they were choppy and D/Ced a lot. They were people who had some major packet loss issues, and were connecting from another country. Thats the key right there, TS handles multi country connections far better then vent dose. If your internet is shit, TS will work better for you, then Vent ever could. Vent has some strange things happen when there is packet loss too.

The No Guts No Galaxy TS3 is using a really good codec, and has no issues when there are lots of people in the channel. Also, the majority of the major corporations in EvE Online also use TS3 because it can handle hundreds of people, at once, in a channel, without any issues at all (other then typical idiots with bad mics and not using PTT).

If you think Vent has better sound then TS3, then you need to have a high end computer, and a reboot of your brain (and ears), because the sound quality is there, you just need a good headset and sound card to hear it.

#12 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostBuckaroo Banzai 88, on 19 April 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Ours is on a dedicated server at a private residence and sounds perfect with no issues. Been running it on private boxes since it came out with no issues. Try a better host, better hardware on server end, or set it up right (from an admin standpoint). Tried all the other new and best as they come out and upgrade but performance and quality just havnt been there.

#13 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Funny story, we had a player ragequit the FWLM because when we were looking for a new VoIP solution before we lost our old TS server, we were kind of set on TS and not considering mumble

according to him "All the competitive units use mumble" so he burned his whole units webpage on his way out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I really enjoy bacon.

#14 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 18 April 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

My unit is looking for friends/allies but everyone seems to use teamspeak. I have a good computer but TS always crashes my MWO client for some reason. So if you use ventrilo, aren't miserable to getalong with and like to have fun send me a pm plZ:)

Hey OP, are you running both the GAME and TS in Admin mode? there used to be one heck of an issue between MW:O and TS for some of us but the fix was to run both in Admin mode. just a heads up for you.

#15 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 19 April 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Hey OP, are you running both the GAME and TS in Admin mode? there used to be one heck of an issue between MW:O and TS for some of us but the fix was to run both in Admin mode. just a heads up for you.

Totally forgot about that. Good call.

#16 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 19 April 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

yeah we run in admin, thanks though :)

#17 JimLahey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I host my own vent server for my 4-man and it works well for me. The sound quality is just fine if you config your server with the proper codecs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users