Run Hot Or Cool?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hey guys!

I've been flipping between hot builds and cool builds for the entire time I've been playing.

A hot build seems to be great for hitting hard and fast, the cool build seems to be good for just a constant stream of not much damage.

Are there any veterans out there who have found the perfect balance and what is it?

#2 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Most of my builds run between 1.1 and 1.3 heat efficiency (in the mechlab) if that helps. Most builds will run hot (thanks to the efficiency of DHS and the rate of fire of weapons), so heat management is one of the best skills you can develop. If you don't want to worry about heat at all, the CTF-4X w/ 4 AC/5s, 2 ML, and an XL 255, a machinegun Spider 5-K, or dual gauss builds are your friends.

Many players run PPCs and ballistics partly because the balance of high heat energy weapons and minimal heat ballistics. An acceptable heat efficiency depends on the play style of the player and the particular build in the match.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 18 April 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

None of my builds are below 1.4 in game, except my Thudderbolt (1.29), but I manage heat by chain firing my MLs. I would rather have less firepower but ensure I don't overheat. Some of my builds only show an alpha damage of 20 - 30 points, but they perform much better because you can shoot more often. Running a mech with a 40 point alpha that you can only use twice before cooling down leaves you vulnerable if what you shoot at doesn't die or if you are in a scrum.

The key is to know how to play on what map. Tourmaline, Mordor- chain fire. Alpine or Frozen city, you can get away with a lot of group fire. And if you can help it and have back up weapons, use PPCs instead of ERPPCs. The heat trade off really isn't worth it if you have good situation awareness. Just keep your distance beyond 90m. I used to be very anti-PPC when i first started, but that I know how to play for distance, I use them all the time. I only use ERPPCs in my SHDs as single arm weapons and my SSRMs.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Where do you think the "Run Hot Or Die" league has its name from? There are limits, of course, but if you never get a heat warning on cool maps, you are probably doing it wrong.

#5 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

If you ask me it all depends on what you do. If you are a sniper, be hot, dish out as much as possible damage and heat in one shot. If you are a brawler, be cool, so you don't need to worry about heat and focus on aiming and manouvering. There are always exceptions to the rule tho, dual gauss builds for example are super cool snipers. However, you often see dual gauss backed up by at least a couple medium lasers. This is done not only to have more power, but more likely to utilize your mech heat capacity that is otherwise wasted.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

1.3 HE is where I start to feel comfortable. Of course, that HE only tells us part of the story. If it runs AC/2s and MLs, for instance, then I have to consider those separately. For instance, on a Jagermech or Shadow Hawk. I'm not likely shooting each and every weapon at the same time; the long-range weapons for long-range targets, the short-range for short-range.

But I DO look at that number in mech lab. Anything under 1.3 concerns me on hot maps. Anything under 1.24 concerns me on temperate maps. Anything under 1.2 is an all-around concern, and I'm likely only running that hot because I haven't finished my efficiencies and added DHS yet.

#7 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

On most of my builds (other than some lights and dual gauss phract) I usually 1.3-1.4'ish area and chain fire lasers on hot maps.

#8 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

I run my mechs pretty warm 1.3 in that area . I don't find it all that hard to keep it cool... just switch of to your ac weapon when your getting to hot ! ;) :D

#9 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Maybe I like to feel the burn... I usually run my mechs in the 1.1-1.2 range. Its all about heat management. Once you learn this skill, it becomes much more viable than what it seems initially.

The big rule of thumb using that high of a heat range, is to try to avoid alphaing, unless needed, or if you're in a light, Hit and Run.

If you're in a big fat assault mech, and you know you're about to get into a big brawl, let yourself cool off all the way before walking into that mess. When you start to get warm, try and move behind a corner, or find some cover, so you can cool down without taking all those nasty pot-shots, or if that is not possible, start torso twisting like a boss. ;)

#10 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

I rarely go above 1.2. Heat isn't a penalty, it's a resource, and in many cases not running hot means you're wasting potential.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Been running a JESTER today. 2xPPC, 4xML, 18xDHS? Runs pretty hot except on the really cold maps (pretty sustainable on Alpine). Change those 2xPPC for ERPPCs? Not sustainable. LOTS of overheats on Mordor and Caustic. That's as much my fault (not managing heat so well) as it is the build's (even with 18 DHS, the twin PPCs throw some HEAT). Still, it has me scratching my head, wondering if I shouldn't ditch one of the MLs for another DHS...

#12 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

My hottest mech HBK-4P.
After an Alphastrike (51 damage!) you have to wait about 14 seconds, before you can alphastrike again. No problem when you can wait in cover. Otherwise switch to two lasers.
Much lasers, lots of fun. I love it. That firepower makes AC40 mechs pee their pants. :)

#13 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:17 AM

Depending on the role of the mech.
For brawler and direct support build, I like to keep them at least 1.3 or better heat efficiency.
Mech that engage at long range or have high alpha, gets plenty of time to cool off between shots, so Im willing to go as low as 0.8 heat efficiency.

However, I feel heat efficiency above 1.5 is overkill, unless your main gun are Gauss Rifle.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

To build on the above post, consider that you may not be using all of your weapons for the same targets.

For instance, let's say you're running a Catapult. CPLT-C4, by smurfy numbers, runs 38% heat efficiency without the two small lasers, but 25% with them. Max range on those is closer than the minimum range on the LRM-20's, though. So you CERTAINLY won't be firing both sets of weapons at the same target. at the same time. Take the LRMs out of the picture, and you're 71% by smurfy. That's just on SHS. Swap to doubles, and you jump to over 140% HE with the lasers, and 77% with just the LRMs.

So, when looking at heat, it's important to consider what your heat efficiency will be according to how you fight. With most brawlers, you're probably going to be using all of your weapon systems in chain or alpha, so that one absolute number is important. In a multirole or fire support mech, though, it's different.

In the JESTER I mentioned above, I'm not likely to be engaging the same target with both MLs and PPCs at the same time (though it happens). I have to consider the HE with just the PPCs, and the HE with just the MLs. In either case, it's a more sustainable number, assuming I am disciplined enough to stick to an either/or approach to weapon selection for my targets. If not for ghost heat, it would be a VERY heat-stable build.

#15 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

If ya never worry about heat your either on a mech with crap weapon slots/gimmick build or spent way to much tonnage on things not weapon related. Heat is a balance between Defensive and Offensive.

1.2 -1.3 range depending on firepower of mech.

Try to stay away from I blink and shutdown builds going instead for a few good solid volleys bringing my heat close to shutdown.

Close to shutdown make sure to have a weapon or 2 you can fall back to. Of course they need to be low heat to use on side to keep doing something will cooling off. Ballistic weapons are quite good obviously for this. As are most small size weapons LRM 5, Small laser even a single Medium can be used efficiently.

Spreading out your weaponry for various ranges can also be very helpful for this. Not trying to use all your weapons all the time so going lower on heat efficency is perfectly acceptable. Most of my build I try to have 2 groups of ranges further away and closer in and dedicate the weapons to those ranges. LRM's and a longer range direct fire weapon for sniping shooting over hills, then some weapons good under the 270-300 range. Balancing this out means your useful all the time not stuck out of range or in too close like an all LRM boat would be vs brawlers. Still can do very good damage.

#16 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

It depends on the mech, really. If it's a mech that can take a lot of hits, I'd look at around 1.3-1.4 heat efficiency. But on most of my builds they run hot at 1.1-1.2 heat efficiency. Why do I do this? Because in most 1v1 battles, you need to hit hard, and you need to hit fast. Minimal exposure is key to winning this game. Any mech you don't want exposed for an extended period of time I suggest going in hot. Just got out of a match with 675 dmg on my locust, so I must be doing something right.

#17 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Think of heat as a resource. You need to spend it or you're simply out gunned (a few niche builds exist such as the 4xAC5 CTF-4X). Once you've used up your heat bar dissipation is the next important thing.

For fast moving mechs that take on a striker roll you can get away with smaller dissipation but if you're in a slow brawler you'll need to learn to group your weapons and fire with discipline or you'll either overheat in combat or not do enough damage in combat.

#18 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

I usually aim for 1.3ish as my sweet spot. It's a heavy enough load out to front load some damage but just cool enough that sometimes when you're in a bad spot you can set off that last "middle finger" alpha before you go down.

Plus heat management is a skill to be kept sharp and if I run too cool I start getting lazy about it.

#19 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

1.3 is about the lowest I like to run and don't really like doing it. I prefer 1.4 and up.

My laser boat thud is my worst by far at barely over 1. The way I play it though it isn't bad. I use the 2 ERLL's ONLY at long range. Once I am in range for my mediums I will only use those until I am out range and then I'll start using the LL's again. If you break down your weapons into ranges and use the smurfy sliders you will notice that the heat isn't that bad. Also by not using the ERLL's the effective dps actually goes up for brawls. Mechs like my Shad with just an AC20 and 2xML are at 1.6 also some of my Jagers are way up there too.

Everything said here is pretty much right on. You just need to know the role of your mech and build accordingly. Brawlers need to be a bit cooler and strikers can afford to run hotter. I think the smart thing to do is to error on the side of caution and make sure your build is viable on the hottest maps first and work backward from there.

#20 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Around 22 heat generation is good even with a very low amount of heat sinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users