When Was The Last Time Anyone Saw A Quickdraw?

BattleMechs

89 replies to this topic

#21 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

I see Quickdraws quite regularly. Not in every game, but still frequently. The sad thing is, I actually see them more then I do see Dragons....they've become EXTREMELY rare since PGI changed the hitboxes. The only mech that is even more of a rare sight on the battlefield is the Trebuchet.

#22 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

I find it funny how the "bread and butter" 'Mechs of TT have become the rarest in MWO, while the rare from TT become common. Still waiting on CW to fix that.

#23 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Friends and I will both run QKDs for shits&giggles, we have a couple of builds that consistantly perform reasonably well, it's our way of saying The "Meta" can suck a fat one.

Also run Wolverines a fair bit. Plays just like a griffin with 10 degrees less twist and a shotgun for a right arm.

#24 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:42 AM

when they were sized correctly

#25 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

A group of players I occasionally see on my pug teams dropped with three Quickdraws.

I've got one that I enjoy playing from time to time.

I imagine we'll see more with 3/3/3/3 after players grow bored of the heavy-class staple.

#26 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostSmittiferous, on 19 April 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

Also run Wolverines a fair bit. Plays just like a griffin with 10 degrees less twist and a shotgun for a right arm.

Only 5 degrees (125v130 base) - and it does have better pitch. And while I have no proof per se, it feels like it can take a bit more of a beating.

View PostBromineberry, on 19 April 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

The only mech that is even more of a rare sight on the battlefield is the Trebuchet.

Frankly - the Trebuchet doesn't need much tweaking to be decent. All they need to do is boost the torso twist on the JJ chasises to 110 or so and the arms on all of them to 30ish.

The only thing that makes the Griffin a better LRMisher is the better torso twist / arm movement which lets them run away while at the same time still firing back at their enemy.

It'd still be a niche mech - but it'd actually fill said niche well.

#27 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

View Post101011, on 19 April 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

I find it funny how the "bread and butter" 'Mechs of TT have become the rarest in MWO, while the rare from TT become common. Still waiting on CW to fix that.

Shouldn't be that surprising since the TT doesn't care about size and this game didn't account the different game style when they kept the upscale sizing on certain mechs.

#28 Durandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostJosef Nader, on 19 April 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

I see the Awesome surprisingly frequently. The Awesome is secretly a really good mech who's only serious drawbacks are its geometry and hitboxes, and I see them often enough and doing well enough to be confident in my assertion.

I don't know what it is about the Awesome, but the only time I EVER see it...is from behind, in my Jenner. I've never actually seen the front of an awesome, and I've yet to be hit by them...since a JR7 kinda eats them alive ;)

#29 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

View Postdurandal, on 19 April 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

I don't know what it is about the Awesome, but the only time I EVER see it...is from behind, in my Jenner. I've never actually seen the front of an awesome, and I've yet to be hit by them...since a JR7 kinda eats them alive ;)

Dunno... How do you tell the difference?

#30 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

QDs are too big. Hitboxes are terrible. Hardpoints for missiles are terrible. Why PGI designed the smallest heavies to be inferior to mediums I dunno.

I love my Orion though. I drive it like a high-speed Atlas with a similar build and it does just fine. Don't put an XL in it.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Mech I see the least is the Trebuchet. In fact, it's so rare, I think half the players forget they exist.

#32 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 April 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

QDs are too big. Hitboxes are terrible. Hardpoints for missiles are terrible. Why PGI designed the smallest heavies to be inferior to mediums I dunno.

I love my Orion though. I drive it like a high-speed Atlas with a similar build and it does just fine. Don't put an XL in it.

Agreed... from what I can tell, the Orion is a mini Atlas.. faster, less armor, but same loadout..

#33 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostWindsaw, on 19 April 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

Yesterday I saw one Quickdraw.
Ironically, it was a disconnect.

My 4H was the last mech I regularly played before I quit a long time back. If that pilot was anything like me, it went something like this:

1. "Maybe it'll be different this time, surely my 60 ton mech with a large, standard motor has significant size, mobility, and motor durability advantages over the massive numbers of assault mechs with XLs"
2. <Launch>... <Insta-core>
3. "Ok... so that was unlucky. Let me try again"
4. <insta-core>
5. ".... Well, this is still slightly better than my Trebuchet. At least they see me as a big enough threat to shoot at me".
6. <Launch>... <insta-core>
7. <Launch>... <insta-core>
8. <Launch>... <insta-core>
9. <Launch>... "Screw it, I'm gonna go make a sandwich"

The truth is that PGI has no idea how to balance medium and light-heavy mechs, and it shows. Their size alone makes them laughable.

#34 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 19 April 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

A group of players I occasionally see on my pug teams dropped with three Quickdraws.

I've got one that I enjoy playing from time to time.

I imagine we'll see more with 3/3/3/3 after players grow bored of the heavy-class staple.

If I join a game in a 3/3/3/3 and the heavy slots are taken up by Quickdraws...

...I wouldn't be a very happy camper.

Edited by mwhighlander, 19 April 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#35 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Trebuchet by far. The last time I saw one was maybe two weeks after the trebuchet was released. Next up would be the oxide. The last time I saw anyone besides myself run that thing was day one release lol.

#36 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have never played Quickdraws or Trebuchets so I don't know why nobody plays them. Never played an Awesome neither but from the other side of the scope they never posed as much of a threat as basically any other assault. When I saw a lonly awesome I always thought "ah...this one is juicy". It poses a moderate threat at best.

When I got the free Thunderbolt I fully equipped it and upgraded it . But in the current meta with incredible pinpoint alphas and this kind of gigantic torso, and no ability to avoid some torso hits with jjs (only twisting) it just felt like a paper mech. It went down super fast. I've hardly ever seen the likes of it.

There are much much better mechs. And even assaults like the Victor can run as fast or even faster while loading more firepower and armor + jjs. Nah, I sold it right away hehe. Was nice to win a mech and the mechbay though. But I would never tell anybody to get this mech.

In my opinion it is an inferior mech. But who cares. Not all mechs can be as awesome as the Shadowhawk or Banshee.

Edited by oneda, 19 April 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#37 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

i like my quickdraws

#38 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Usually when I see an Awesome it is a LRM boat, cuz it can do reasonably well with that build. Most 8Qs don't do very well.

I know some people that play Quickdraws and like them, but they are uncommon mechs for certain. Then again, so are Dragons.

Orions are like Atlases. But with no ECM variants and less armor. They have a harder time specializing and that makes them unpopular.

Trebs never really had a 'heyday'. I think when SRMs were 'the' brawling weapon Trebuchets were considered inferior to the Centurion A and never really caught on.

I would love to see some drops where half the team weren't in Jagers and Cataphracts though. Something to look forward to 3/3/3/3 for anyway.

#39 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 19 April 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

If I join a game in a 3/3/3/3 and the heavy slots are taken up by Quickdraws...

...I wouldn't be a very happy camper.

it makes me happy that your happiness is of no consequence to me or my friends and i will gladly take up a heavy spot with a quickdraw and have my friends take up heavies with theirs.

#40 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

They are rare, but you do see them. Same with Awesomes and Dragons. Weak mechs, but they o exist out there. Most Quickies I see are PPC poptarters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users