BattleMechs

42 replies to this topic

#1 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

so where can one get a jetpack for them?.
i mean even atlas have them including ECM?. why is the stalker so punished?.

also a MC new design copit will not hurt, i kind of hate the designed copit of the stalker.
a nice copit like CPTL or CDA will be cool.

#2 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

The only assault mechs that have jumpjets are the Victor and the Highlander. The Awesome, Battlemaster, Stalker, Banshee and Atlas don't have jumpjets.

I wouldn't call the Stalker punished. It might be slow and cumbersome, but it has a fearsome array of weapons and quite good hitboxes.

#3 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

View Postzagibu, on 19 April 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

The only assault mechs that have jumpjets are the Victor and the Highlander. The Awesome, Battlemaster, Stalker, Banshee and Atlas don't have jumpjets.

I wouldn't call the Stalker punished. It might be slow and cumbersome, but it has a fearsome array of weapons and quite good hitboxes.

they cant even walk a small freaking hill without a jumpjet.
and mountain climbing cost a module, nobody ever gonna buy that.

#4 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

You should realize you are piloting a blimp with 85 tons worth of armor, weapons and ammo, not a ballerina. It already has one of the highest hardpoints per weight ratio in the game, it really doesn't need an agility buff.

If you want to clear hills with an assault mech, just get one that has jumpjets as standard... I'm sure you'll find a couple.

#5 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Stalker is a great mech. Great at peaking over hills to take pot shots, while large sides are good at soaking damage, especially if you spread it. Energy weapons run a bit hot, but the Stalker has plenty of room for 20 or so heat sinks.

All in all can be tough to use but still a solid mech. Been piloting them since Open Beta. Misery is nice too, but not as good as it was back in the 2xPPC AC10/5? meta

#6 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

This I'm sure is the 1st of many trollish post from this guy. "Nobody ever gonna buy that." I'm sure the stalker is one of the highest bought mechs in the game, everyone and there mom got one. I can get a stalker to the top of Everest in alpine peaks. U my friend must have just began to play this game. Get a little more used to the way the big boys of the battlefield move before calming such an outrageous statement.

#7 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

i not talking about it's weaponry capability.
i talking about it's handling, it's the lowest tonnage mech of it's class and have the least special befit.
and no i not talking about flying over the map, just a few feet so people can move the mech with more ease.
or a burst of 3 seconds is already enough to reduce damage legs.

also if i recall the original mech warrior designs where all capability to have jumpjets fitted.

Edited by Abisha, 19 April 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#8 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostAbisha, on 19 April 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

i not talking about it's weaponry capability.
i talking about it's handling, it's the lowest tonnage mech of it's class and have the least special befit.
and no i not talking about flying over the map, just a few feet so people can move the mech with more ease.
or a burst of 3 seconds is already enough to reduce damage legs.

also if i recall the original mech warrior designs where all capability to have jumpjets fitted.

The Awesome and the Victor both weigh less than the Stalker.
Its handling is poor because if it was any better it would be the only assault on the field. Its already the top non-jumping assault running around. If it handled better, it would just be the best assault on the field due to its solid geometry, great hitboxes, and excellent weapons spread.
If it could jump, it would simply be unstoppable in the assault class. The other two jumpers have low slung arms and require a large chunk of the mech to be visible for them to get a clear jump shot. The stalker's high mounted hard points would let it expose far less of the mech for poptarting, significantly decreasing the pop tarts vulnerability during his attack. Stalkers with jump jets would wreck this game.

Edited by Josef Nader, 19 April 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#9 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Good gods I hate working on Stalkers. Takes forever and a day to wear them down. It's not just their armour, it's their hitboxes and geometry that drives hits towards their CT, which has a massive thickness. You get enough of them coming at you, it's like the Imperial assault on Hoth, bloody implacable monsters.

#10 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostLynx7725, on 19 April 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

Good gods I hate working on Stalkers. Takes forever and a day to wear them down. It's not just their armour, it's their hitboxes and geometry that drives hits towards their CT, which has a massive thickness. You get enough of them coming at you, it's like the Imperial assault on Hoth, bloody implacable monsters.

dude, those walkers have 4 legs, and where downed by a tiny rope.

#11 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostAbisha, on 19 April 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

dude, those walkers have 4 legs, and where downed by a tiny rope.

Dude, PGI forgot to issue us rope?

;)

#12 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Greetings all,

The Stalker was originally designed and built to bring a devastating load of multi range weapons to the battlefield. The design of the very heavy rear bending legs and large platform feet were to give the Mech a "built in" stable platform, and provide extended time within the battlefield environment.

Operating and driving this element requires the Pilot to have a very good understanding of the terrain around the Mech and where on the Battlefield this element can manoeuver.
- Some of the issues you have described are not always the Mech's fault, but a design issue or failure with the Map(s). Items of terrain that do not appear to be obstacles but cause some mech's to become stuck.
- The Stalker is not the only Mech that will have these issues with map terrain, any of the Mechs that you see in game that do not lift there feet very high while they walk suffer the same problems.
- As these items and locations are brought to PGI's attention they are corrected, not always immediately, but "on the list" for review and repair.
- This Mech was never designed to be a mountain climber or operate in that environment.

The ability for this Mech to be able to climb hills (or not) is part of it's design. And as I stated, it requires a keen sense and understanding of where it can traverse and maneuver. The actual game model with reference to how it moves, is (in my opinion) not quite done right. When PGI increased the ground speed for this Mech it looked cartoonish, instead of just extending the stride for the legs they made them move faster in it's original shorter stride. This model suffers from having it's feet barely clear the ground when it walks, and needs a "redo" for how it's movement is modeled.

Even from the Description of the Stalker it describes it as a slow moving force:
~ The engineers and designers behind the Stalker built it to be a slow moving weapons platform capable of handling combat at any range. The 'Mech is built mounting weapons with overlapping ranges of fire that allow it to increase the amount of damage it can deal to an enemy 'Mech as it closes to shorter range. The Stalker is also commonly used to penetrate enemy lines and attack enemy hard points relying on its thick armor for protection.

As others have stated there are other Mech's in this class that carry Jump Jets, but that is not the point. As we see in-game now these jump jets are sometimes being used to assist what should be normal traversing of terrain. So the problem is not the Mech's but the faults in the maps. There are map design tools that the map creators could use to "scan" the maps for irregular bumps or structures that could cause movement issues. Apparently, these are not being used or the settings are not fine tuned to it's application.
- Most of the terrain issues or movement stopping objects only appear to be rocks or boulders laying on the surface.
- These objects only look to be about 4 to 9 feet high from the Mech's cockpit, and should easily be able to be kicked aside by the Mech. (not seeing any interaction between the terrain and Mech's)
- We do not have moveable/destructible terrain yet, so everything on the ground is fixed and indestructible.
(CryEngine, PhysX, all excel at rendering objects that can be manipulated and destroyed in the environment. We are far from that and end up with a rather static and lifeless arena to battle in.)

9erRed

#13 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

The Stalker is plenty good enough without Jump Jets or ECM. However, a Stalker Variant does come with ECM in canan. It's the Royal Guard Variant.

I wouldn't mind the Stalker being able to use a bigger Engine. But, it is plenty good enough as is.

#14 Entail

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

View Posthercules1981, on 19 April 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

This I'm sure is the 1st of many trollish post from this guy. "Nobody ever gonna buy that." I'm sure the stalker is one of the highest bought mechs in the game, everyone and there mom got one. I can get a stalker to the top of Everest in alpine peaks. U my friend must have just began to play this game. Get a little more used to the way the big boys of the battlefield move before calming such an outrageous statement.

not sure i have 16 mechs and no stalker

#15 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

call you own stalker slow mines fast and deadly

#16 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostAbisha, on 19 April 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

they cant even walk a small freaking hill without a jumpjet.
and mountain climbing cost a module, nobody ever gonna buy that.

Thats the price you pay for 3 mechs worth of weapons and armor.

#17 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Where is this mythical jump jet wearing Atlas again?

#18 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

One way that they did gimp the Stalker is with module slots. I hate that they gave it just one (two when mastered). It seems so random and pointless.

Also, why couldn't they make the Misery on par with the 3F when it comes to torso twist? C'mon man, give the Hero some love!

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 19 April 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

One way that they did gimp the Stalker is with module slots. I hate that they gave it just one (two when mastered). It seems so random and pointless. Also, why couldn't they make the Misery on par with the 3F when it comes to torso twist? C'mon man, give the Hero some love!

Posted Image

#20 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

The Stalker -still- packs more firepower, more crit space (no arm actuators help) and better hitboxes than any other assault. That's why they lack the extra module slot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users