Elo And Matchmaker

28 replies to this topic

#1 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

Is there any plan by PGI to make a players Elo known to that player?

Also, when making teams, does the matchmaker build lances according to Elo? For example, I've been playing less than 2 months and I am almost always in Charlie lance (in various slots in the lance). On the rare occasion that I am in Bravo lance (never been in Alpha lance) I can almost guarantee we'll get steamrolled. Is that because I'm in bravo because I'm suddenly in the middle of the company Elo-wise? or is it just random?

#2 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Alpha lance is the main premade -- in theory, close to the skill seed of the enemy team. Beta and charlie are sorted depending on how far their skill differs from alpha (both ways). If you start in charlie lance, strap in for a ride (or prepare to carry really hard). You only start in alpha when there are no 4-man premades that you could be assigned to.

Edited by Modo44, 19 April 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#3 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostModo44, on 19 April 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Alpha lance is the main premade -- in theory, close to the skill seed of the enemy team. Beta and charlie are sorted depending on how far their skill differs from alpha (both ways). If you start in charlie lance, strap in for a ride (or prepare to carry really hard). You only start in alpha when there are no 4-man premades that you could be assigned to.

SO even though I'm rearly always in Charile, it doesn't necesarily mean I'm the worst player on the team. but if I'm in Bravo,?

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

If alpha lance is really good or really bad compared to you, the results will show it. But even then, some extreme scores are due to (bad) luck.

Note also that as a new player, your Elo score may not reflect your skill fully. There is a period where you get treated as average almost regardless of your skill.

Edited by Modo44, 19 April 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

They have said they do not intend to make Elo visible.

note that premades fill first, if there is one premade it goes to Alpha lance and if there is a second it goes to Bravo. The lances are not organized by Elo as far as I know.

#6 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 19 April 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

They have said they do not intend to make Elo visible.

note that premades fill first, if there is one premade it goes to Alpha lance and if there is a second it goes to Bravo. The lances are not organized by Elo as far as I know.

Seems odd that they wouldn't make Elo visible to the player...not sure the logic behind that

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

The logic is that showing Elo would hurt the loudest forum warriors by putting a skill modifier on each player's post. PGI bought that it would make the best players too smug/condescending, and here we are.

#8 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostModo44, on 19 April 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

The logic is that showing Elo would hurt the loudest forum warriors by putting a skill modifier on each player's post. PGI bought that it would make the best players too smug/condescending, and here we are.

They don't hve to make Elo viewable to the general public, but they should allow each player to see their own Elo

#9 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 19 April 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Seems odd that they wouldn't make Elo visible to the player...not sure the logic behind that

They don't post the elo scores for players because PGI is afraid of players gaming the rating. E.g. intentionally losing matches to drop their score and/or boosting other players scores by losing using alt ID's, etc.

I can see both sides of the argument having merit, but I still think there should be some tiers of skill rating that is visible to at least the player themselves. E.g. Cadet, Experienced, Veteran and only update it on a daily/weekly basis to reduce the ability to game the rating.

#10 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

does your elo change depending on what mech you are using?

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 19 April 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

does your elo change depending on what mech you are using?

Each weight class.

IE:
You have one Elo for lights, another for mediums and so on.

#12 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 April 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Each weight class.

IE:

but not for different mech within weight class?

I have 3 Kintaros, 2 of which are above 1 for both KDR and W/L and one thats below 1 for each...my Elo would be the same for all 3 variants? and not lower for the one with bad ratios?

#13 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 April 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Each weight class.

IE:

So, if i, for example, would have never Touched assault, and would play one now, i would start with the "basic" ELO Score everyone starts? Hmm thats interesting....

#14 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 19 April 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Not at the moment, no. Ideas to expand the tracking -- look at chassis, and group vs solo drops -- are being explored by PGI.

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

I have 3 Kintaros, 2 of which are above 1 for both KDR and W/L and one thats below 1 for each...my Elo would be the same for all 3 variants? and not lower for the one with bad ratios?

To my understanding it would average itself out between the three.

View PostAndroas, on 19 April 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

So, if i, for example, would have never Touched assault, and would play one now, i would start with the "basic" ELO Score everyone starts? Hmm thats interesting....

Yes, but keep in mind that every chassis plays differently - so while you would have a presumably better grasp of the basic skills within the game - you would not necessarily be any good with the assault you chose.
(IE - I am far better in Hunchbacks than in Shadowhawks - I can tell my Elo raises after several Hunchback matches, and I can feel it dropping in my Shawks.)

#16 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Correct: your elo score is by weight class, not by mech or variant. So all your "bad" matches in the Kintaro have influenced your rating, much like all your good ones have as well. And if you decided to try Hunchbacks or Centurions your starting elo would be what you have currently done in Kintaros as they are all medium class mechs.
For example If you have never played an assault mech and you pick up an Atlas you will be starting from the base elo value. Any other Assault mech will then change this elo rating.

The reason is isn't done by mech chassis or mech variant is that in a game like MWO with so many variables of other players, different maps, different weapons, etc it takes hundreds of games for elo to normalize into a value that somewhat represents your skill. Doing it per mech variant would extend that out for everyone and require thousands of matches to normalize.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 19 April 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Supposedly it would allow "mocking," "ego boosting," and "general arrogance" to thrive among competitive groups and a "reason to alienate new players from units."

That and "corporate secrets" was also indirectly referenced, as there was mention of "competing company influences."

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Supposedly it would allow "mocking," "ego boosting," and "general arrogance" to thrive among competitive groups and a "reason to alienate new players from units."

To be fair to those points - we already have people doing that (though distinctly less with the goons pretty much gone)- how much worse would they be if they had an in game number to rub in peoples faces?

#19 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

That and "corporate secrets" was also indirectly referenced, as there was mention of "competing company influences."

I get the "arrogance" and other things..but shoot, we have that now...."worst team EVAR".."f'n noobs" and whatnot..

I quess I'm just curious to see where I rank and if/how much I've improved.....

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 April 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

To be fair to those points - we already have people doing that (though distinctly less with the goons pretty much gone)- how much worse would they be if they had an in game number to rub in peoples faces?

Dunno, but damn I miss the goons.
Nothing got me more excited than getting Squawked at.
...Because then I got really devious and made it a point to try and humiliate them! ;) It didn't always work; but when it did the "(Beep) you" followed by rage quitting was priceless!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users