#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 19 April 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

I get the "arrogance" and other things..but shoot, we have that now...."worst team EVAR".."f'n noobs" and whatnot..

Now imagine if they had a visible number to use with that.

Yes a lot of people who get mocked now would be able to say "HAH!"
But a lot of people would be mocked harder
(There are a lot of WoW guilds who hold gear levels against people, even if that person has not had a chance to get better gear, or is looking for help getting better gear)

I feel ya with wondering what your skill level is though - sometimes I wonder that myself (and my ADD kicks in and I really wonder)

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Dunno, but damn I miss the goons.

I don't, I watched a lot of new players quit because of the way the Goons treated people. :D

Now I wish I could face them, but I don't really miss them. ;)

#22 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

If your ADD kicked in, wouldn't you want to go ride bikes? I gather that PGI is worried about negative behaviors relating to Elo, as well as people waving around statistically inconclusive screen shots to "prove" things about the matchmaker. You know, kind of like people do now.

Whenver the matchmaker is discussed, people come out of the woodwork about the "awful" matchmaker, and how this collection of screenshots proves that PGI hates kittens, and eats babies, and murders homeless people on the streets at night. Particularly annoying to me are the screen shots of uneven scores; the only thing they prove is that people don't realize how the game works, and are angry because they are ignorant. You should expect uneven scores in most games, because of the effect of focus fire and that first solid advantage (if it's followed up.) Even scores, like 12v10 do indicate that the teams were matched evenly - they also tend indicate that they were matched at a lower level of skill. Better players typically will follow up that first kill by pressing the advantage - and the cumulative effect of focus fire with uneven team sizes tends to create a wider disparity in kill counts than many players expect from an even matchup.

When you see an even fiinal score in a match, it often means that one team had the advantage and didn't follow it up. This happens a lot, when part of Team A gets into (and wins) a fight with an element of Team B, and when Team B responds to the threat on their flank, the rest of Team A... keep camping. The damaged 'mechs from team A that just won their engagement are finished off by Team B, and the score is now even again, or even slanted in Team B's favor.

None of this is intended to defend or indict the matchmaker; nor am I making any claim about PGI's dining habits, nocturnal pastimes, or animal preferences. I'm not trying to make any argument on that front, but I really wish people would be better thinkers.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 April 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

If your ADD kicked in, wouldn't you want to go ride bikes?

What does ADD have to do with bikes?! :)

As for people being better thinkers - you are very much not alone on that - but the problem is those who are not good thinkers lack the thinking capacity to realize that. (and for all me or you really know, we may be among that group :))

#24 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Speaking as someone with ADHD, the bike comment is that ADD makes you more prone to not being able to do one thing for a time before being distracted and doing something else (such as going from wondering what your ELO is to deciding that it'd be a good time to ride your bike). That being said, SQUIRREL!, I do wonder myself what my ELO is. Especially when I drop with members of our competitive team (in 4-mans) and then promptly die no matter what.

#25 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostRedEagle86, on 19 April 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

(such as going from wondering what your ELO is to deciding that it'd be a good time to ride your bike).

Also means you sometimes find yourself obsessing over one thing for long periods of time. :)
I don't have the H, just the ADHLAS!. :)

#26 Maerlande

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

I don't understand the logic of keeping ELO secret at all. A decade ago I was a ladder player in Diablo II. Sure you had jerks. The internet will always have jerks. But it was a serious motivation to climb that ladder. And isn't it clear that motivating players to play and play well will also motivate them to support the game with money?

#27 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostMaerlande, on 19 April 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I don't understand the logic of keeping ELO secret at all. A decade ago I was a ladder player in Diablo II. Sure you had jerks. The internet will always have jerks. But it was a serious motivation to climb that ladder. And isn't it clear that motivating players to play and play well will also motivate them to support the game with money?

Thats a... pretty Bad example...
D2 Ladder was competive PvE, and mostly about time spend.

Check the League of Legends boards, or have a look in the game, its A LOT of:

"OMG this ELO!"
"OMG you are Noob and know nothing! Your ELO says so!"

And... so... one...

Having public acess to the score is just pointless, and leads to, as allready stated way to much Toxic behavior AND questionale Topic about the matchmaker, and we allready have enough of those, we dont need another 20 Versions in even "less educated".

And the "motivation" factor would not trigger anyway 1. we dont have "leagues" like Bronze, Silver, Diamond, so there would be no Goal to go after, with your ELO Score, it would simply go up and down, and nothign would change.

and 2. it would drive more people away then it would attract, in todays gamig community A LOT of people are scared as hell from having show how (in relation to others) good or bad they are, because, for whatever reason *everybody* needs to be treated as a "special snowflake" today, and showing someone "you are THAT bad!" does not motivate, it makes all the little girls in the world cry sad sad tears, instead of going "manmode" and working on their skills.

So, no, please, it is enough we allready have to put up with this outdated, for something entirely different designed System to match people, we really do NOT need it to be shown arround....

#28 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 April 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

What does ADD have to do with bikes?! :blink:

As for people being better thinkers - you are very much not alone on that - but the problem is those who are not good thinkers lack the thinking capacity to realize that. (and for all me or you really know, we may be among that group :rolleyes:)

No, once you reach a certain level of competence, you can kind of tell - but generally you need a good teacher to get you started.

As for ADD:
"How many people with ADD does it take to change a light bulb?"

"Wanna go ride bikes!?"

Needing to have things just so tends to be an OCD thing.

#29 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Needing to have things just so tends to be an OCD thing.

I never said I had to have things just so - just that when I focus on them I focus on them a lot.

Inability to focus is just one part of ADD.

View Postsneeking, on 20 April 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

as for peoples views on my skill my style or if I even belong here ? water off a ducks back mate :D

That is a very good attitude about it (provided I am reading that sentence right....)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users