Upgrade Question

10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonblood1

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm trying to upgrade my Hunchback's heat sink with a Double Heat Sink. Following my purchase of the new HS I get a warning that I need 3 more slots. How do I open these slots so I can get rid of the error message. If I leave the mech bay before installing the new HS do I lose the item as well as the money spent to make the purchase?
thanks

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

You must click the 'check out' button in order to keep anything you've bought, so that item doesn't affect your C-bill payment unless you clicked 'check out' already.

If you bought DHS, check to see if you have enough tonnage. If you gave yourself Ferro and Endo, you may have screwed over slot amounts there. Generally, it's best to use DHS and Endo, with Artemis on missiles, and Ferro for specific builds and lights. An awesome website with all info and building builds ability is here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab Use it to plan your builds next time.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Another thing to remember is that you need a minimum of 10 heatsinks to launch, and when you upgrade to DHS, if you had any regular heatsinks installed they don't get upgraded, they are in fact removed, and put in your inventory, you need to actually buy/install DHS after you upgrade.

This thread should help you when it comes to building mechs as well.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

You can make any changes in the mechlab. Whatever you have done only gets saved when you click "Check out," so you are able to play around with upgrades without actually buying them on the spot. The cart keeps a running total of your expenses for you and verifies that you want to spend the cbills. Also, you CAN checkout even if there are alerts like no engine equiped or not enough heat sinks. You just won't be able to launch your mech unless the critical alerts (red) are resolved.

Also, note what IraqiWalker wrote.

#5 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

If your engine is below a 250 rating you need an extra heatsink for every 25 points it's below that. This is what IraqiWalker meant by needing a minimum of ten heatsinks, engines 250 and up contain ten free 'hidden' heatsinks, every 25 points below that it goes down by one.

When you upgrade to double heatsinks all your single heatsinks are removed. So if your engine is below 250 it reminds you to add double heatsinks to replace them.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

also note that double heat sinks take up three slots each, so for example you can't put them in the legs on any mech, unlike single heat sinks.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostMahws, on 20 April 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

If your engine is below a 250 rating you need an extra heatsink for every 25 points it's below that. This is what IraqiWalker meant by needing a minimum of ten heatsinks, engines 250 and up contain ten free 'hidden' heatsinks, every 25 points below that it goes down by one.

When you upgrade to double heatsinks all your single heatsinks are removed. So if your engine is below 250 it reminds you to add double heatsinks to replace them.

To be perfectly clear, the true internal heat sinks in your engine are always of the same type as your mech. If you upgrade to DHS, those heat sinks inside your engine are automatically upgraded (thank your tech, because swapping those AIN'T a walk in the park). Downgrade to SHS, and again your tech is sweatin', but he ain't billin' you for the extra work.

How many true internal heat sinks does your engine have? Take your engine rating, divide by 25, and round DOWN. So, a 250 STD (or XL, makes no difference) has ten internal heat sinks (250 / 25 = 10.0 -> 10). But a 245 STD has only nine (245 / 25 = 9.8 -> 9). So, you have to blow an extra ton and 1-3 critical slots to add a tenth heat sink.

Engines 275 and bigger can CONTAIN extra heat sinks, at your discretion, but they are apparently treated as external heat sinks. That is, a DHS added to the engine beyond the tenth one will only act as a 1.4 sink, not a true double (2.0) as the internals. Again, divide by 25 and round down. Compare a 275 and 280 XL engine. (275 / 25 = 11.0 -> 11 HS; 280 / 25 = 11.2 -> 11 HS). You have to go to a 300 engine to get a twelfth heat sink inside it, and even then, DHS beyond the tenth one inside an engine only do the 1.4 external heat-sinking, not the 2,0 of TRUE internal heat sinks.

Your tech doesn't care, of course. He's still got to go crawling around inside a magnetohydrodynamic fusion powerplant AGAIN. He should charge you more for this. Or she. Whatever.

TL;DR- go ask Smurfy.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 20 April 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Looks like I messed up linking the mech building guide. Here's the full URL:
mwomercs.com/forums/topic/152007-the-10-commandments-of-mech-building/

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

To add to Rabbi's post...
The double heat sinks included in the engine (up to 10) are true 2.0 double heat sinks (when upgraded to doubles). All others are 1.4. A 225 rated engine contains 9 of these "suped up" heat sinks but the 1 external you have to add to hit the 10 minimum wll not be. Therefore, you want to have at least a 250 rated engine or higher to get the best benefit.

Also, one reason to put external heat sinks in the engine rather than not is to save criticals. Additional heat sinks can be included in the engine and you need the 1 ton for them, but you don't need any critical slots. Can help make builds fit!

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 20 April 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Looks like I messed up linking the mech building guide. Here's the full URL:
mwomercs.com/forums/topic/152007-the-10-commandments-of-mech-building/
Just click here.

Works better if you use the paper clip + icon.

As I did. :lol:

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 April 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Works better if you use the paper clip + icon.

As I did. :lol:

I did use the URL function, but for some reason it didn't take. Not sure why, so I decided to post the whole link, hoping that would do the trick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users