Im Tired Of Being Angry......

General Balance Gameplay

68 replies to this topic

#41 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 19 April 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

And Wolfways, c'monb man you really think Im gonna yell and scream at people like that? I knew someone would say something like that, and then be like "oh wow see this guy is exactly why I don't want voice chat". No I wouldn't do that. Would I swear? Yea. But it'll be like "Son of a ***** that ******* cheese Jager just gaussed me". I don't berate teammates and I presume the other team wont be able to hear me.

Fair enough, but you see my point right? There are plenty on the internet who don't care about being nice...ever. Some go so far as to be a complete **** whenever possible.
I'm fairly outspoken and direct though, and i know how hard it would be to not just tell someone when they're doing something stupid, or having a go at some ***** (done that on other game forums often enough). I'd probably end up getting banned myself :)

View PostScrotacus 42, on 19 April 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yea man an ecm atlas is ridiculous. Imagine how this game would change if you got rid of the D-DC. Yes yes it existed in BT and the books probably, but this game isn't those things.

Actually it never existed in its current form before MWO.

#42 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Yup I get it. See Im a normal enough person that when the anonymity of the internet is even partially taken away and I can hear and talk to people directly I become much kinder and more understanding. Getting to know people even a little I can empathize with them, bullshit with them about other stuff a little. If a team-mate screws up or is incompetent, Im far more likely to be like "hey good try man" or if I can think of something helpful say: "have you tried doing X instead of Y?"

Without voice-chat I have no incentive to check myself and not be a raging *******. But I get it that some people are the opposite or just chodes in general.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#43 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostSaxie, on 19 April 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

@ 2) VOIP is quite overrated in pugs. Ever play xbox live and have a meaningful communication out of it? There are some games that will attract a more mature audience, like I think this game has. With that said, there is no reason not to have it.

EDIT Spelling

As a matter of fact I really did enjoy using VOIP in the first Gears of War. Just like MWO it was perma-death, and I found that any team which used VOIP effectively would win. Only a small few abused the privilege, and those few were quickly muted.
Bring on VOIP I say

#44 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Like I mean if I was talking to you all in person or over a phone conference trying to make these arguments, wouldn't it behoove me to present things in a much more civil and clear way? Of course, and I would too. There would be a slight level of accountability for my words and image, but because Im some anonymous dweeb on some semi-obscure forum, I just don't put forth that effort to be more.....human. See secretly this entire thread is a big allegory for why we need voice chat :) I'm just kidding but that would have been a great troll wouldn't it?

I think the MechWarrior audience is mature enough to handle it (with the exception of me, right?) and use it as intended to enrich the game experience and truly become the "thinking man's shooter".

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#45 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

As for colours being paid items - that's how F2P works.
Give the core game for free, and charge for trivial things that don't impact the game, and/or charge for shortcuts for players who don't like grinding.
It might sound like "capitalist swine" to charge for colours, but you've got the game for free. Someone has to fund this games development, and those people are people like me who put a few bucks in every now and again for mechbays, camos and colours.

#46 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

You are right that is just how free to play games work. Ok a compromise then: can I argue that there enough colors in the visible light spectrum that maybe just maybe they could afford to let me acquire a few more of them without using real money? How many colors are there anyway? Thousands? I don't know, but maybe 20 or so c-bill colors wouldn't be the thing that sinks the whole studio if that happens, right?

#47 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 19 April 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

As for colours being paid items - that's how F2P works.
Give the core game for free, and charge for trivial things that don't impact the game, and/or charge for shortcuts for players who don't like grinding.
It might sound like "capitalist swine" to charge for colours, but you've got the game for free. Someone has to fund this games development, and those people are people like me who put a few bucks in every now and again for mechbays, camos and colours.

I actually like the way other games have the choice of pay or play but both types of players can get everything ingame.
EVEOnline>Make ingame cash to buy PLEX (which you can use to pay for the monthly fee!).
RIFT>Make ingame cash to buy REX (with which you can buy gear, boosts, etc.).
Firefall>Do daily's to obtain Red Beans (which you can use to buy ingame items).

Honestly, i don't see PGI liking those ideas though :)

#48 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

#49 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

I don't know why the quote thing doesn't work. But anyway, no, no one likes my original post. What does that say, someone asked?

I'm supposed to learn a hard lesson and grow the **** up right and learn that no one responds to vulgarity and you never get your way whinging about stuff, that's it right?

What it also tells me is that people are more interested in leaving snarky memes and being all judgmental and stuck in their narrow minded perceptions of how they think arguments should be presented. It also tells me people are on some pedestal and despite claiming a superior mindset aren't willing or capable to look past a little roughnes to see the actual content of something. If reading through swear words "poisons your mind" or trips your laziness threshold button then I really don't know how you make it through life. And if long posts bother you why comment on that or be in the forums at all. Not every problem is solved in a sentence, and especially not eight of them. This whole TL:DR phenomenon is some utter cancerous horseshit, and a symptom of the degradation of our entire society really but that's a whole separate rant.

If the end result is the same (i.e. nothing will get changed) and I ACTUALLY think those words might appropriately describe my feeling towards it, then why is being......colorful any less valid than trying to sound like I'm writing a thesis on the subject? I'm so upset in my original post because its mostly LITTLE things that I think can make a proportionally BIG difference with respect to the amount of effort and resources required to change them. I really don't think that point is hard to grasp or that there aren't thousands of other players that agree with that. To sit and focus on the vulgarity and tone just so you can put me down to feel all smug reflects just as badly on those that do it as they imply my words reflect on me.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#50 NKAc Street

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

The first step is admitting you have a problem, good job.

#51 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Sctorus; first and foremost I want to apologize on behalf of the Memers, trollers and grammar {Godwin's Law}'s (mind you, your grammar was fine, perhaps not perfect, but totally understandable).

Your thoughts were well thought out, even if they did not strike a chord with the totality of the forum community, and you make some solid points in my opinion. Whether or not those points are good additions or detrimental ones, I can't comment. But at least you took the time to leave rational feedback on a game that so obviously love and enjoy and wish all the best for.

Thanks for the post.

PS; I want to apologize on behalf of the forum moderators for making every reference to the German Political Party headed by {Godwin's Law} {Godwin's Law}. Apparently references to that political party is offensive yet freedom of speech lets me make as many KKK references as I like... Apparently even the head of that political movement's name is offensive. It reminds me of Voldemort in Harry potter - he who shall not be named...

Edited by Rex Budman, 19 April 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#52 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hrmmmm... I guess I'm a capitalist swine too, because I like to be paid for my work.

The colors are cheap, man, they go on sale all the time, you buy them once and they're yours. Drop a $20 on the game and buy a few and don't worry about it.

I hear you on the C-bill sink that is the stock loadouts and XL engine costs, but that is by design and totally understandable in a F2P title. What else are you going to spend your cash on, anyway? Just swap engines between mechs if you're worried about it.

I dislike the ECM /missile interaction as it's currently designed, because I believe it is impossible to properly balance. My changes would be more sweeping than yours, but I feel your pain here.

I think part of what we all feel is the commodification of mass market video games. Ever since gaming stopped being the realm of nerdy males and became more mainstream, quality has declined even as graphics have improved. I play MWO because I love the BT universe, but I loathe the F2P model and the ninnyhammers both in the market and the publishing boardrooms that made it almost a necessity. I still don't understand why games can't support themselves on subscriptions. This is the world we live in though, so I do my bit to keep the servers on when I can.

#53 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Rex, that's so jarringly civil compared to most the rest of this thread I almost think you are trolling me, lol. But thanks, I never assumed everyone would agree, but I'd be lying if I said one sentence snarks and memes juxtaposed against a long and passionately intentioned post didn't bother me at least a tiny bit.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#54 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

And Daekar, yea......ok maybe THAT little bit of name calling was a bit much, my bad. I just assume the colors are kind of slapped on, not intricately applied pixel by pixel like the patterns, I assume it isn't much work, I could be wrong. The colors ARE cheap, not denying that......its just ugh I've spent so much money......I really don't want to spend more to get my favorite color (orange), because then I'll have some straggle MC left with no purpose. And that's how all these systems work to get you, give you uneven denominators left over so you have to buy more to round it off and get something else, but you never seem to end up with exactly zero.....so the cycle continues.

#55 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Okay i'll bite. Honest feedback incoming! :)

View PostScrotacus 42, on 19 April 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Look, theres no other interesting games to play except Dark Souls 2.......and the meta for that game is even more infuriating than this one. Look I know how to make this game better without breaking your balls. Do exactly as I say to the letter and the game will be much better.

Your opinion. Others get upset if you state it as fact.

1: Put lrms back to about 140 m/s (still better than original 120). Lrms were damn annoying anyway now this game is not fun because of them. You've got these crippled missile boats and so I try to lead a light mech or a pack of them back to my team AND THEY CANT DO SHIT ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEYRE A BUNCH OF GODDAMN MISSILE BOATS. The rest of the team is too busy with their PPCs shoved so far up their ass they don't notice or cant hit a light mech with them anyway so they don help either. Oh, and I cant TALK TO THEM AND ASK FOR HELP Infuriating, see next point.

Anyone who knows my posting history knows my views on LRM's...they suck!
Having said that i have been occasionally hit by them in the past few days so i'm glad they are basically useable now. I was even killed by LRM's a few days ago (which has happened maybe a handful of times out of thousands of matches since closed beta), which made me happy even if it was mostly my own fault :D
Imo indirect-fire needs a slight nerf and direct-fire needs a big buff...mostly by fighting on battlefields instead of arena's.

2: Put voice chat in the game for the love of whatever deity you worship. Its so bad that I cant even try to help the pugglefish and im sick of getting rolled 12-4 because your matchmaker keeps putting me and my 4-man lance-mates up against 6-10 assault mechs and my teammates are bunch of ragtag people with no tonnage or ecm. I can tell within 1 minute even if theres no score just by the way the other team moves and the mech composition my team is lacking that im gonna get steamrolled again. I am almost always right. There is no argument for not having in game voice chat, don't even bother trying to make some feeble case against it. You don't like certain people? Mute them. Simple.

Already gave my opinion on that elsewhere in the thread.

3: Everyone in the community needs to stop using the word "drop" until pgi lets lance commanders pick where the lances actually spawn or "drop" at. For immersions sake, include a dropping through the atmosphere cutscene. If we had *cough* voice chat *cough* then we could talk to each other and form a plan and hash out where to meet, where to send scouts. It would also prevent every map from playing out the same on every match as there would be less use of these silly unofficial meeting spots on every map. Alpine is a snore. River City and Caustic is basically NASCAR with mechs, Terra Thrma is......well Ill address that in a second.

Well a cutscene would be nice, but so would the drop sequence/voice they used at the launch party (Please PGI please! :D )
As for sorting out a plan...for PUG's no. The idea of PUG's is just drop and fight...no messing around, and AFAIK premades on VOIP already make plans.
I don't really see the need for players/teams to be able to choose where to drop. It would have to be extremely limited to stop teams just dropping on each other to have a 3-minute brawlfest. It just doesn't seem worth it tbh.

4: Nerf arty down to 25 or 30 points per shell (again still considerably stronger than the 15 it was originally). 40 points is just asinine, it ruins 12 mans and it isn't any fun really in any circumstance. Don't tell me to move, im not stupid, I probably tried that. But since I cant communicate with my team no one can call it out for me, see the problem? I usually avoid it or the enemy puts it in a spot I can see easily, but if I DO get hit by it, then I might as well quit, my match is ruined. I pilot lights and mediums, its not fair to penalize pilots like me just cause everyone else without balls or a sense of creativity wants to use some ******* cheese mech. Oh by the way, in case you haven't noticed, making arty that strong has done ****-all nothing to shift the meta, so don't come up in here with that weaksauce tryin to tell me otherwise. I play 12 mans, it doesn't accomplish shit, if anything it ensures the other team is gonna go heavy to survive it.
And again, I move all the time, but occasionally someone actually puts it in a spot you cant see it, or you get stuck on geometry.

I don't have a problem with arty. I rarely get caught in it even in my slowest mech (53kph Stalker). Maybe i'm just lucky.
I don't use arty because it's expensive but have tried it a couple of times, and once did manage to obliterate a mech that was chasing me in my 3L :)
But no...no real opinion on arty.

5: Let company commanders pick where to put the base and turrets in assault mode, see point number 3 for the reason why.

Same reply as drop areas really. Makes the start of the match too long for little difference.

6: Lets make terra therma an ice map except leave the volcanos and lava. Ambient temp would be nice and cool, but the lava and center 'thunderdome" area leave alone. Why? To disincentivize people from trudging to the middle every time like a bunch of special needs lemmings, because after all who really wants to fight in the middle if that's the only place that's so hot you can barely fight?. Then we could actually use the rest of the map which is much more interesting and has lots of neat terrain.

I'm not sure why you want Terra Therma changed. I mean, i personally don't love that map but at least it's some variety...sort of. Also, i avoid Theta as much as possible :ph34r:
I think the map looks nice, and don't mind the heat too much (as it affects everyone to a certain degree), but i do think the layout is quite bad...lots of little corridors with a central area. Too much cover imo.

7: Please make engines a little cheaper and please please please make mechs have engines that make some ******* sense when you buy them. I bought a Wolverine 6k, which aside from its loltastically inferior hard point layout and lack of jumpjets (plus no extra weapons to make up for it) comes with a totally useless engine. A STD 275, really? What in THE **** role can a medium mech fill that goes 81 kph and mediocre short range firepower? ****-all that's what. Do you guys ever play this game yourselves pgi? Even worse the super expensive Wolverine, the 7k, comes with an XL-275. Again, wtf. Its a lame duck engine, I now have to sell it, grinf for 3 mil more c-bills and then go buy a 280 that weights the same, and that's still too slow anyway. It wouldn't cut your peckers off just to give me the proper engine in the first place. I don't give two shits about the table top game, this isnt tabletop, I don't care what the technical readout says, the game is not set up to be played in a role specific way where militaries in the real world might opt to strip a bunch or armor and sacrifice engine speed to craft some bullshit medium mech that goes 70-80kph for urban fighting. Im sorry that just does not work in this game. Just don't give ma a lame duck engine like the 250 or 275 or any of the other ones that weight the same as their next up counterpart. The only exceptions are when that is my MAXIMUM engine size. But it never is, so stop it.

PGI sells stock mechs in their game where stock mech "don't work"...according to some (i agree that heat sinks and the heat system in general don't work).
I have a HBK-4G that has a speed of 80pkh+ (can't remember exactly) and do quite well in it.
I'm not sure why you're saying you need to save for a slightly bigger engine with the same weight. Do you not customize your mechs much? I don't, but i've never had a problem making C-Bills either so i've never understood why anyone complains about "the grind" :blink:

8: Make it so I can buy all the colors colors with c-bills. Just do it, I don't need a reason, it would just be nice, and god knows you have enough other ways to make money.

Well they have to make money somehow or the game would never get better... *resists the urge to make a sarcastic remark*.

There that's all for now, and most of this stuff could be done in a jiffy. My word is final, my arguments are infallible, and my anger is righteous. JUST DO IT!.

I can see that you're not being serious there, but some players are **** and will respond very negatively. If like me you don't care about those players all is fine :D

#56 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

And Daekar, yea......ok maybe THAT little bit of name calling was a bit much, my bad. I just assume the colors are kind of slapped on, not intricately applied pixel by pixel like the patterns, I assume it isn't much work, I could be wrong. The colors ARE cheap, not denying that......its just ugh I've spent so much money......I really don't want to spend more to get my favorite color (orange), because then I'll have some straggle MC left with no purpose. And that's how all these systems work to get you, give you uneven denominators left over so you have to buy more to round it off and get something else, but you never seem to end up with exactly zero.....so the cycle continues.

lol i've had 6MC for ages now. Every time i login it stares at me...it taunts me...it cries "Give me company!"
But no, not until i see a vast improvement in the game (and my financial situation improves).
Suck it 6MC :)

#57 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Dude, if I could I'd send you 500MC to spend on orange the next time it goes on sale. But I can't and I only have 100MC left after binge-buying colors and mechbays around Halloween!

#58 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

we need a lot of things but definetly we dont need more NERFS FFS.

-arty is good were is it. i would say its one of those things were pgi managed to make it almost perfect.
-lrms are ok were they are.
-turrents are ok where they are and the idea to let commandes place them its plain stupid. it will create a chaos on who to be the first to assume the role and troll the game.

-the game needs voip but as long there are ts servers its not a "necessity". what is absolutely necessaryare some shortcuts/macro for in game chat with simple commands.
- scene drop ? to lose more time than already is for something repetitive and boring ? i want to be able to skip all the ads and scenes before the game starts and you want more of those...are you high ?
-prices..well - some may benefit from adjustments and its harder for newcomers to do whatever they want right from the start..which is both good and bad in the same time. I would say that pgi can implement, along with cadet bonus, some "discounts" for cadets on specific parts/weapons, much like the daily sales we have now. the veteran players do not need cheaper parts..they need to learn to play the game :)
-colors ? vanity. no need for them. but if you want them then pay.

Edited by smokefield, 19 April 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#59 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Ok well some of my original points I'm happy to amend.

Colors: Ok fine Ill pay for them but how about 15-20 c-bill colors instead of what like 5 we have now. Theres enough colors in the visible spectrum to leave us a few freebies and pay for the more exotic ones.

Scene drop: ok yea not necessary but I still like the idea of choosing where lances drop. I agree turrets are fine, maybe a few too many of them but all in all a good addition. I just want to USE more areas of the maps. However that has to happen Im cool with it.

Commanders selecting base points and turret placement: ok yea I rethought that and yea I get your point smokefield, but what would you or others say to being able to select between 3 or 4 possible bases/turret points instead of full player control? This would still exponentially expand where fights in matches take place. At the very least your scouts would have to find out which of the three possible bases the enemy selected and vice-versa, creating an environment of uncertainty where lances or scouts might slam into each other on accident.
The decision for which base could be done by a quick and dirty voting system, whichever base gets the most votes is the one your team gets, with differing pre-arranged lance spawn points based on the base.

Im ok also with keeping terror thermal as is.....just give me a snow version that keeps the volcanos. Besides we need more maps for CW anyway right? Or heck what would happen if you inverted terra therma and made it like a subterranean lava cave map? Whoa.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#60 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

letting any player to choose turret location is bad...but extrapolating your idea - we can randomize the turrent location for each map so you dont know exactly where they are. in the same thought we could randomize the base location too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users