8 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hey PGI! Your new UI is still awfully unusable. Still waiting for Smurphy layout to actually be functional. While you're at it I would love if the details page actually contained details, and was in a readably sized font.

As you can see in this image, the following information is instantly available for any selected mech:
Speed
Tonnage
Firepower
Heat Efficiency
Armour
Structure Type
Weight Class
Free slots
Weapons, and weapon locations
Number of heatsinks and locations
Engine size and type
Number of Jump Jets
Number and type of hardpoints and their locations
Equipped Modules

Posted Image

In UI 2.0 detailed information can be accessed after a 2 second delay. If you move your cursor away the information disappears again.
The following information is missing from details:
Weight Class
Free slots
Weapon locations
Number of heatsinks and locations
Engine size and type
Number of Jump Jets
Hardpoint locations
Equipped Modules

Posted Image

This information may only be accessed by going into the mechlab and individually inspecting each and every hardpoint location. Something that is very frustrating and very time consuming. I have a 320XL which swaps between four mechs depending on which builds I'm currently running. It is extremely frustrating and time consuming to try and find which mech currently has it equipped. The MechLab itself is also very time consuming and frustrating to use. Before UI 2.0 launched I used to constantly swap and change my mech loadouts, looking for new ways to play. Since UI 2.0, I have avoided it like the plague, and stopped playing for over two months, waiting for the "March" Smurphy update.

Every single criticism here has been repeated to PGI since the inception of UI 2.0 and the first public Beta. It was then repeated incessantly with each public preview of the system. Please PGI, I want to find joy in the MechLab again. I want to buy new mechs and have fun coming up with different builds. Instead, all I find is constant frustration. I love this game, and enjoy the game play, but the MechLab is by far the second biggest part of this game. Please fix it!

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image

Look at how simple mechwarrior 3's mechlab was.

All your crit slots on the left. Everything you can put in your mech on the right.

Why is that so complicated for PGI to grasp?

#3 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

The thing I miss most when messing with builds is the free slots. I've adjusted to the mechlab most ways, but that indicator really needs to be in there somewhere. The font size on half of UI2.0 needs to be larger too.

#4 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

Another major detail missing from UI 2.0 is the ability to see how far you progressed down the mech trees of mechs you've sold off.

You used to be able to see that you where 8/8 basic or maybe 3/4 elite but now it's just blank, you don't even get the ribbon in the top corner to let you know if you've even owned it

#5 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 20 April 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Another major detail missing from UI 2.0 is the ability to see how far you progressed down the mech trees of mechs you've sold off.

You used to be able to see that you where 8/8 basic or maybe 3/4 elite but now it's just blank, you don't even get the ribbon in the top corner to let you know if you've even owned it

Worse if you buy another in that variant and want to master it; you can't unless you re-buy. Old UI this was not the case.

#6 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostChemie, on 21 April 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

Worse if you buy another in that variant and want to master it; you can't unless you re-buy. Old UI this was not the case.

Do you mean you have to spend XP again to re-buy pilot efficiencies for a variant where you have already purchased pilot efficiencies? If so I think this is a bug and should be reported. You should not lose XP when you sell a mech.

#7 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

Even if you arent ready to upgrade/finish UI 2.oh!, can you get rid of the awful lighting at the bottom of the mech bay? You know, the ghastly white lights with fog that bleeds over the pale gold miniature text that shows some of your mech stats?

#8 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

I sent this e-mail to PGI late last year while UI 2.0 was being previewed on the test servers.

Posted Image

Hi there,

I recently tried out the UI 2.0 on the test servers, and while I understand that it is a work in progress, I believe that this layout is absolutely useless for mech design.
I really hope you’ve been paying attention to the support feedback threads, but the community has once again come up with some really really good designs from which I believe you should derive your layouts from.
TanE came up with a modification to your existing design, and created a mockup which looks brilliant, while also being very functional. It takes into account the feedback other players have been posting about your current design, and has received absolute praise by everyone on the forums.

You can find his design (and critical praise) in this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...22#entry2953322
and in this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...ut/page__st__20

If you make UI 2.0 like this people will be really happy. If you leave it as is you will have another forum frenzy on your hands.
You held the test server, you asked for feedback, and we’ve made some recommendations. Please take them on board.

Regards,
Lindsay Talbot
~Troutmonkey in MWO

And the reply:

Your request (#105529) has been deemed solved. To reopen, reply to this email.

Reppu (MechWarrior® Online™)

Dec 02 12:49 (EST)

Hello Troutmonkey,

Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated! However to better reach the developers with your ideas and suggestions, please post here: http://mwomercs.com/...al-discussions/ - please choose the appropriate sub-section.
Please be aware that even though the devs do read the forums and especially the suggestions one, they rarely reply to any thread so they can concentrate on actually building the game. Also, the community representatives read all forum posts and compile then send to the devs the most relevant and constructive feedback on a weekly basis.
As one can imagine, if the devs start responding to everything, it would become a never-ending back and forth, and game development itself would suffer because of this.

Reppu
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

#9 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

I miss UI1

I liked it being a small window so I didnt have to alt tab,
Everything was easy to find and easy to navigate.

Wish we could go back and get it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users