Camo Unlock, I Got Screwed

Camo Spec

15 replies to this topic

#1 Augmantus

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I just payed to unlock a camo pattern for what I reasonably assumed, would be an unlocked camo pattern to be used across all mechs. Then I find out my unlocked camo is locked into use only for the three other variants of the model I bought it for. I could have just bought the other three for 75 and saved myself a couple hundred plus mc. Nowhere was it clarified in the purchasing process that the camo was in fact not going to be unlocked but entirely limited to that model and its three variants, for which no one in their right mind would buy it. It would make no economic sense to do so as they could be purchased individually for much cheaper. So I just got ripped off. This leaves a poor taste in my mouth as it's my first monetary investment in the game. How much money has been siphoned off unsuspecting gamers at this point by this suspect arrangement?

#2 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

I've had a problem with patterns only being Chassis Unlocks instead of Account Unlocks for a long time. If you want a refund on it then talk to Customer Support, thankfully they are pretty good about recent purchases.

Edited by SuckyJack, 19 April 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#3 Nemesis Wolf

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf occupation zone (or Seattle, Wa-IRL)

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Cammo's are per mech? That sucks, and to think I was thinking of buying them, but if its per mech thats not going to happen. At least the paint is account wide (Have 2 mechs using the paint unlock). Thanks for the heads up, hope you can get a refund.

#4 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

They need to make it more clear that the unlock would be chassis only. Call it Dragon Flame Camo or something. so uknow ur jsut getting it for that chassis

Edited by Jin Ma, 19 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#5 Augmantus

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Unless there is a mech with more than 10 variants it is completely pointless to buy an "unlocked' camo for 750mc when they can be bought cheaper individually for 75. There isn't a mech in the game with more than 10 variants so there is no other way to explain this other than it's a scam. It's all well and good to talk to customer support but that doesn't negate they aren't selling what they advertise. If unlocked means limited to a mech model and its variants, then its not in fact unlocked in the commonly understood sense of the word. It's a hidden limitation which should be made obvious before purchase. And I'm sure they know that which is the part that bothers me.

Edited by Augmantus, 19 April 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#6 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

If you want something done about how it is advertised then file a complaint with Customer Support. It's questionable if they pay attention to the forums at all at times but Customer Support deals with Paying Customers so businesses tend to bend their ear a little more to those complaints.

#7 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

It's 750 for an unlock and 75 for a TEMP camo. If you change it to another camo, even default, you cannot go back to it. So if you are the kind of person who wants to change their camo around then you want the unlock. If you know the one you want forever then 75 is fine.

#8 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

I would be fine if they doubled the cost of camo unlocks for the pattern but made it account wide for all mechs once purchased.

then just have the single use ones be 75 / 125 mc

#9 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 19 April 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

It's 750 for an unlock and 75 for a TEMP camo. If you change it to another camo, even default, you cannot go back to it. So if you are the kind of person who wants to change their camo around then you want the unlock. If you know the one you want forever then 75 is fine.

Did not know this. :)

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Note that if you request a refund of MC items like this, it is a ONE TIME deal. They will never again do another refund like that for you. Make sure it's worth blowing your one chance on.

#11 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Money money money, it's so funny. When PGI wants more...

#12 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Oh look. All the problems the community brought up a year and a half ago are coming to life!

Clap clap PGI.

Yeah uhh.... yeah the "new user" experience is about as pleasing as sitting on a barnacle encrusted toilet seat.

Just brought my friend back after a few months of playing and he never used UI2.0 before. He just about lost his cool because how tedious it was (I don't blame him. We've all been asking for LESS CLICKS ever since the very first Public test of UI2.0. Thankfully they listened to that feedback! ahha, .. wait. No they didn't).
But then to hear Russ' reaction in an NGNG podcast that he doesn't want a simpler UI scares me. He doesn't realize how important a streamlined UI is, but instead he says he doesn't want to get rid of the meaning/weightyness (or w/e his excuse was) while configuring a mech. That's the biggest load of BS I've heard. Bad UI decisions are bad, and impact everyone's experience. If you aren't in a match blowing up other mechs, you are inside of a UI. I would say I spend more time in the Mechlab than I do in the actual game. With a mechwarrior game, you do a half assed job on the UI (which PGI has done) you are effectively gimping more than half of your game. Hell, you can't even press ESC to leave the social window. You can't move the social chat window around. The social window blocks you from doing other things in the back ground. That's just one thing! The amount of issues with UI2.0 are endless. Common/basic functions you would think to be there aren't.

Part of that bad experience is the lack of transparency to players.

And this thread is a prime example how much work there is left to be done on UI2.0. I would say it's about 60% complete. Maybe 70% but I don't want to sound too optimistic.

Sorry about your loss. I was fighting for AT LEAST the camo's to be available per weight class instead of mech chassis. Talk about sucking the value out of their own product. I bought a few camos, and I don't even know why. They're a complete waste.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 April 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#13 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

And you can't ask before buying it? 75 for a single mech once and 750 for every mech you will ever own? What are you dreaming at night? This is not even a question about common sense, it is so obvious that that it is not for all mechs. The 750 MC option is for people who change their camouflage regularly and have more than 1 mech of a certain chassis.

#14 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

I only do unlocks, and only if it's on sale. I don't want to lock my mechs in to whatever pattern I happened to pick, and I hate the inefficiency of having to pay again and again when swapping my camo patterns around. Sure it might not pay for itself quickly, but it will do so eventually. The fact that it unlocks for every variant of a mech, no matter how different the 3d geometry happens to be (and some mechs vary quite a bit among the variants), is just gravy on top.

#15 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 19 April 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Note that if you request a refund of MC items like this, it is a ONE TIME deal. They will never again do another refund like that for you. Make sure it's worth blowing your one chance on.

Australian consumer law would state otherwise. If you're duped into buying another item with an incorrect description, you're just as entitled to a refund as any other time you were misled. I'd like to think that American / Canadian laws would protect it's consumers just as much.

#16 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 20 April 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

Australian consumer law would state otherwise. If you're duped into buying another item with an incorrect description, you're just as entitled to a refund as any other time you were misled. I'd like to think that American / Canadian laws would protect it's consumers just as much.

Stating the Australian laws when seeking refunds tends to get the message across to companies, Valve included. So it's definitely viable, and lawful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users