Gameplay

27 replies to this topic

#1 Skyraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

Suiciding needs to be punished in the game. It's becoming a common tactic (I use the term loosely) for people who are sore losers.

If you kill a friendly you get punished, so if you kill yourself shouldn't there be a punishment as well? Or perhaps at the very least, the last person to do damage to that mech should get credit for the kill.

I've seen more and more people resorting to this lately, and it comes across as rather immature denial to the enemy team.

#2 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

They already are. People who suicide get no XP for a win or loss.

#3 Skyraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

Well that's good. But I doubt that really acts as too much of a punishment for going out of your way to not fight and just kill yourself. It's becoming more of a trend, these days. Maybe a C-bill penalty goes to far, but it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to give kill credit to whoever last damaged the suiciders mech.

#4 Ghostchips Condensate I and II

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthern Islands

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

What happens if you overheat by mistake? No winnings then either?

#5 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

don't understand how you would do that, there is no HE in the game?

#6 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

I often force myself to overheat when going all out trying to kill someone. Usually that means I die from ammo explosion.

Besides, last one to shoot them does get an assist reward I think?

#7 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

There are scenarios where you go up against 12 mechs...alone. In those situations there is virtually nothing you can do but die instantly. In most other competitive games (mostly shooters) you at least move as fast as the other players and your team contiuously respawns. Even if your team gets ***** in terms of points and kills you always have respawning players so you will not go up against impossible overwhelming odds.

In a heavy/assault mech you cannot run, and you also cant fight even if you are the heaviest weapons platform out there. 6 mechs shooting you means insta death. If there are no more options left you could also simply stand still and let them kill you.

If the game was at least somewhat balanced e.g. in the end it is 1 vs 4 or even 1 vs 5 then I do not suicide. But if my team gets stomped after 2 mins 12 : 1 then I just don't feel like being yet another kill with no chance to accomplish anything.

Then I rather decide when the game ends for me myself instead of being blinded by 30 ppc shots and 100 ac 5s in my face so that I cant even shoot back to try and take one of them out. In those moments the game has already stopped for you no matter if your mech is still alive or not. As long as there are some options left for example if you are in a fast mech and can stay ahead of the enemy team and at least make a good show of yoursoulf by fighting guerilla warfare style then I also always die against those odds but I can take out one or two more mechs and extract a price.

If the game is over for you (1 vs 12) then the game has stopped being fun and the only thing left is to decide myself when and how I die instead of just waiting to get insta killed.

Some ppl dont like to get caputered by the enemy hehe. The game features options to suicide. And I dont see it as an abuse. In warfare you can suicide too.

I'll be honest. If I dont see any more chance to at least take out one or two enemies (see above scenario) then the only price I can extract from the enemy team is to deny them a kill and the resulting money/xp.

But this is only an issue in complete stomps. As I said. If our team at least killed a few mechs then i dont mind fighting against overwhelming odds in the end. But I dont go up against 12 mechs all saying Dav,dav,dav, steiner, steiner, steiner while texting: GGCLOSE, GGCLOSE.

Hahaha nope. And I will continue to decide myself to rather suicide then feed the stomp train with not even a .00000001 chance of accomplishing anything. Hate me for that but that's just how I feel. As long as the developers don't tell me I will be banned for deciding to kill myself I will continue to do so in 12 : 1 scenarios.

Sorryyyyyyyy ;-)

Edited by oneda, 20 April 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#8 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

lol @ op

reread your post as a 3th person and try to be objective. you will laugh too.

#9 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

it happand sometimes when i push my mech to hard. Blame the heat.

#10 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

Nope at your face, OP. It's purely my choice how to finish poorly ended match. My precious KDR won't suffer from your frustrated sweaty hands, rofl.

#11 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

lolwut

You want to decide how I should die on the battlefield? I like the glorious death fighting 3 mechs and I'll get it!

#12 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Ahhh, back in the good ol' days, when there was a risk/reward system in the game.

It was common to power down or walk off the field rather than die (in)gloriously and save yourself repair costs from a match you knew was lost.

Peoples KDR was higher, because they would concede lost causes rather than drag out a match longer than necessary.

It was a better time, a time when people were Mechwarriors. now the 84% clamor for Death Matches and Tournaments and Esports... woe be to us with the coming of the zergherd :lol:

#13 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 20 April 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

don't understand how you would do that, there is no HE in the game?

True there is no "HE" ........... but there is a "ME"

#14 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 20 April 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Peoples KDR was higher, because they would concede lost causes rather than drag out a match longer than necessary.

I think those KDRs of 10+ had other reasons than saving repair costs :rolleyes: :lol:

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostSkyraxx, on 20 April 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Suiciding needs to be punished in the game. It's becoming a common tactic (I use the term loosely) for people who are sore losers.

If you kill a friendly you get punished, so if you kill yourself shouldn't there be a punishment as well? Or perhaps at the very least, the last person to do damage to that mech should get credit for the kill.

I've seen more and more people resorting to this lately, and it comes across as rather immature denial to the enemy team.

I sometimes play as a suicide bomber. Should I be punished too?

#16 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Running out of bounds should count against KDR, it would stop them from doing it...ESPECIALLY if there was a big post about it under announcements.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

I think it's sad that some people choose to give up rather than at least try to take out one enemy Mech. Where there are weapons, there is hope. There is no reward for retreating, and there are potential rewards for at least trying.

I feel sad for people who believe their k/d ratio indicates anything of importance at all. In this game it is only a ''lucky last point of damage / death" ratio. If you're proud of that, you really need to find something meaningful to give your empty Mechwarrior life meaning.

Man up, fight on, die well.

Edited by Appogee, 20 April 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#18 nimdabew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostAccused, on 20 April 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

I often force myself to overheat when going all out trying to kill someone. Usually that means I die from ammo explosion.

Besides, last one to shoot them does get an assist reward I think?

It does not. I was tearing into a griffin and he jump jetted and I blew off a leg. His other leg was so badly damaged that when he landed, he killed himself and I received no assist.

Edited by nimdabew, 20 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#19 Skyraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

View Postsmokefield, on 20 April 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

lol @ op

reread your post as a 3th person and try to be objective. you will laugh too.

I re-read it and didn't laugh. Guess you were wrong.

View PostRoadbeer, on 20 April 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Ahhh, back in the good ol' days, when there was a risk/reward system in the game.

It was common to power down or walk off the field rather than die (in)gloriously and save yourself repair costs from a match you knew was lost.

It was a better time, a time when people were Mechwarriors. now the 84% clamor for Death Matches and Tournaments and Esports... woe be to us with the coming of the zergherd :lol:

And now you have lights that are the last ones alive that spend another 5 minutes running around the map not even attacking. Only to run out of bounds when they're finally caught up to.

#20 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostSkyraxx, on 20 April 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Wonder if you played MW4:Mercs. It was a simple keystroke to self-destruct. The explosion also caused damage to nearby mechs and generated heat on them. There is no way suicide is a problem in this game compared to that. Not even an issue...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users