I Quit The Match Every Time Terra Therma Is Loaded.

Maps

48 replies to this topic

#21 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

TT isn't that bad... River City Night is kinda a pain... Forrest Colony is kinda small these days [It really needs a revamp for it to be viable for 12 v 12 gameplay] Alpine Peaks frustrates me because The longest range weaponry I really ever take are ER Larges and that just spreads damage around at extreme range...

But at the end of the day, there's no map I really hate other than maybe Frozen City. The rolling snowstorm whiteouts are almost too much to handle, and given the current version of heat vision, it's almost unplayable in that vision mode too. Meaning I'm relegated to hoping the storm clears up enough so I can make sure I'm not hitting a building when I take a shot.

It's frustrating, but I wouldn't say it's a game killer, nor is it something that I'd consider disconnecting over.

#22 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Those two maps, also caustic valley, just play out identically each time. It is almost as if - e.g. Terra Therma - 75 % of the map could be cut away to just leave the center and the immediate area surrounding it.

For me the most fun maps are as follows especially in terms of design and allowing multiple attack routes, escape routes, cover while also allowing for good vision:

1. Canyon Network, in my opinion the very best map in this game. It is just fun for me as you can snipe, scout safely, sneak attack, enjoy many very defensible positions all over the map, etc. etc. etc. + great frggin map for jj capable mechs. Pls more of this or similar maps featuring some of those elements.
2. Tourmaline Desert, superb design that has the biggest encounters in multiple positions as opposed to one (caustic valley, alpine peaks, terra therma, it has very good vision but also features canyons and crevices that allow for alternative attack routes, allows for proper scouting without being blasted to bits because of no cover.
3. Well, those 2 maps are nice and for me theres a big gap after those 2 maps in terms of qualtiy and fun. But I would give Crimson strait and Manifold ok ratings. Manifold I dont like because of superb design but because of this feeling being in space (sound, starts, etc.)

Terra Therma and Alpine peaks just play out the same each time except some ppl still havent figured out where to go to participate in the routine brawl up on the peak and wander aimlessly at the base of the mountain to get destroyed. I have stopped telling ppl to either rush the mountain or STAY AWAY FROM ITS BASE. It wont help haha.

Someone actually told me "Why cant you fight at the base of the mountain and shoot up???".

There is no power on earth that could make them understand the value of the high ground. Am I the only one who watched a couple of war movies, or read books dealing with the most basic of military strategies e.g. shooting down is better than shooting up haha.

So I just silently follow the routine train up to the hill. The rest of the map gets no love. So I blow a kiss to those destered plains and hills. They cry occasionlly and reach for me with their cold snowy and icy hands but I always shake my head.

#23 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

From what I understand, people don't like Alpine/TT because it doesn't work with their precious 'meta-build'. I for one enjoy the fact it throws people out of balance, but I can understand the frustration from the point of view that it is your game that you paid for and hence want more control. So I guess it works both ways.

I think maybe what frustrates people more is having the map repeated over and over. There needs to be a better cycle system.

#24 SortaSane

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 20 April 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

From what I understand, people don't like Alpine/TT because it doesn't work with their precious 'meta-build'. I for one enjoy the fact it throws people out of balance, but I can understand the frustration from the point of view that it is your game that you paid for and hence want more control. So I guess it works both ways.

I think maybe what frustrates people more is having the map repeated over and over. There needs to be a better cycle system.

Actually, I think the most frustrating thing about Alpine is that the strategy is the same every time: King of the Hill! When a single geographic feature dominates a map that large, the rest of it becomes wasted space and the match becomes very predictable after playing it a few times.

As for Terra Therma, I like that environmental heat forces us to manage our weapons better, even if I do load into a match regretting my mech choice sometimes. There's enough room in that map to pursue more than one avenue of attack if you can get the team, or just your own lance, to listen, so I find it a bit less frustrating than Alpine. Nothing like ceding the volcano and watching a confused enemy team wander off of it alone or in pairs and taking them apart in the valleys below.

#25 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

I love Terra Therma.

River City (Night) Assault and Alpine Skirmish are the two maps I truly hate. They got some problems.

#26 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Drops in brawler build. Map is Alpine Peaks. FML. Wouldn't be so bad if we got to CHOOSE the freaking maps.

#27 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

Forest colony and river city are, in my opinion, too small. Their very size limits and diminishes the role of fast moving skirmishers. Those maps call for heavy hitting tanks. Anything else is (when skill, organization, control, rudimentary understanding of tactics and stragey are balanced) simply not as effective as raw firepower and tanking abilities.

Fast mechs are not desinged for fights in close encounters with heavy and assault mechs. Not matter what anybody says that's simply how it is. Look at canyon network or tourmaline. Those maps, by their very design, give mediums and especially lights the chance to take advantage of speed while forfeiting some firepower and armor.

Tiny maps are not mechwarrior maps except in 1 vs 1 arena style, competitive encounters. There is nothing to scout, no covered routes, no necessity to scout. I would have designed completly different maps.

Look at canyon network. Whoever build that map knew how to give all weight classes some love. Give those desingers a raise and allow them to design more maps. Don't fire the rest but let them assist those who designed canyon network so they might get inspired.

#28 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostSortaSane, on 20 April 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Actually, I think the most frustrating thing about Alpine is that the strategy is the same every time: King of the Hill! When a single geographic feature dominates a map that large, the rest of it becomes wasted space and the match becomes very predictable after playing it a few times.

As for Terra Therma, I like that environmental heat forces us to manage our weapons better, even if I do load into a match regretting my mech choice sometimes. There's enough room in that map to pursue more than one avenue of attack if you can get the team, or just your own lance, to listen, so I find it a bit less frustrating than Alpine. Nothing like ceding the volcano and watching a confused enemy team wander off of it alone or in pairs and taking them apart in the valleys below.

Fair point; Alpine does tend to play out the same way. When you try and be a little more unique, you tend to be overwhelmed anyway. The only good thing about Alpine is that it's relatively large, which is something that suits MW far more as oneda has said.

#29 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

i love terra therma

instead of rage quitting why dont you learn how to fit mechs and heat manage correctly

#30 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

View Postoneda, on 20 April 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Forest colony and river city are, in my opinion, too small. Their very size limits and diminishes the role of fast moving skirmishers. Those maps call for heavy hitting tanks. Anything else is (when skill, organization, control, rudimentary understanding of tactics and stragey are balanced) simply not as effective as raw firepower and tanking abilities.

Fast mechs are not desinged for fights in close encounters with heavy and assault mechs. Not matter what anybody says that's simply how it is. Look at canyon network or tourmaline. Those maps, by their very design, give mediums and especially lights the chance to take advantage of speed while forfeiting some firepower and armor.

Tiny maps are not mechwarrior maps except in 1 vs 1 arena style, competitive encounters. There is nothing to scout, no covered routes, no necessity to scout. I would have designed completly different maps.

Look at canyon network. Whoever build that map knew how to give all weight classes some love. Give those desingers a raise and allow them to design more maps. Don't fire the rest but let them assist those who designed canyon network so they might get inspired.

So much this. It's all I can do to keep from bawling my eyes out with frustration when I'm in a Locust and I see the matchmaker is dumping me into River City.

#31 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

reported

..ow wait you took a selfie

#32 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostHawks, on 20 April 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

So much this. It's all I can do to keep from bawling my eyes out with frustration when I'm in a Locust and I see the matchmaker is dumping me into River City.

Haha i feel you. You are brave indeed to fight in lights on those maps. Then again, in pug matches anything is possible. But go up against a half organized team with some shooter (good aim) experience. There are spots on those tiny maps that can see the entire map. It is virtually impossible to approach a team that knows where to fight undetected in a lightly armored mech. Thus, as a logical consequence, you would assume that it is strategically advantageous to drop in heavy and assault mechs.

#33 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

I hate Frozen City with a firey passion. But, I still try and not just quit.

#34 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

Amazing how the game mode can change a map. On Assault/Skirmish I hate Terra Therma. It's a labyrinth of loooong canyons and if you take the wrong one, and don't have jump-jets, trying to flank can take you out of the fight. On Conquest, however, it's awesome because it's so big that teams who deathball get out-capped, meaning it breaks down into lance-on-lance action fairly frequently.

Canyon is another map that can be made or broken by one feature: jump-jets. With jump-jets, it's possibly my favourite map, it's just such so fun to set up ambushes or flank. Without jump-jets, I just want to quit every time it comes up. I feel like a sitting duck and it's a pain in the ass trying to follow the fight when the terrain won't let you traverse it, even though the rises only go to waist height, at times.

Either way, don't be a *****. The matches are only 15 minutes tops.

Edited by InRev, 20 April 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#35 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

alpine in conquest to plain stupid with capture point location
river city sucks under all game modes; way too small a map

#36 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

Terra therma and alpine are like two of the best maps. And people like you sicken me, spoiled little children. As others have said you are intentionally negatively impacting the enjoyment of that match for most of those 23 other people.

#37 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

I like Alpine as a map, just not how games play on it (other than Conquest, though I wish they spread conquest out a bit more. As it is now, much the map is ignored entirely, including the 2 secondary bases (The old Kappa and Theta)).

TT is fun, but it can be a challenging map. I find it leads to a variety of different engagement areas, and can be fun in many of them.

River City and Forrest Colony are way too small.

There's no excuse for quitting due to a map, and it's very explicitly against the TOS.

#38 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

No Map is worth making your team gimped and locking your mech for.

Try taking the initiative and play the map differently. Quitting is the easy way out.

#39 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostMadw0lf, on 20 April 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

Terra therma and alpine are like two of the best maps. And people like you sicken me, spoiled little children. As others have said you are intentionally negatively impacting the enjoyment of that match for most of those 23 other people.

Hey, if he hates those maps then that is his opinion. I personally dont abort on those maps but I dont enjoy them. Only because I love shooting big badass weapons though. I like it when things explode and ppl shout "CALL 911" so thats my overriding enjoyment.

#40 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Actually I feel it's always me in the team with DC'ed guy, now I know your name :lol:
Of all maps only the River City bothers me 'cause of lag spikes I get there (I think it's unfriendly to my PC, memory issue on 6GB system, lol). What I really hate is stupid m@)(&*(**&%^*s in PUGs who rush and don't think where and how to move. I have to play solo these days as all my friends have quit and cursed MWO long time ago.

edit: typos

Edited by Featherwood, 20 April 2014 - 06:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users