• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Noobs don't read chat
Even if noobs read chat they don't know what it means half the time
Noobs rush out in the open on their own making their deaths often meaningless

How can you improve on that situation? If I see a trial heavy/assault that's very obviously piloted by a noob, and also if I'm in a faster mech, I'll follow about 200m behind moving from cover to cover. When the enemy team sees that guy and starts focus firing on him, that's your chance to get a few pot shots at one or many of them. With the current assault VTR, the decoy gives you about 4 seconds worth of your own shots so make use of it. Run back quickly to the main group when your decoy is dead.

Thoughts my fellow Liao warriors?

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

That sounds typical for a Cappie, exploiting the inexperienced for their own gain. Though I guess I cannot speak, as I do it too.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Oh look a misplaced test tube baby in Capellan space, someone forgot to flush an embryo down the toilet.

#4 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

I think the way you worded that post could of been done better. If any new player reads that they're not going to be feeling motivated to play "all your good for is cannon fodder whilst I carry you" is how your coming across.

#5 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

And that is why Capellans are KOS.

Jokes aside, although exploiting noobs can be occasionally viable, it doesn't do much to encourage new players. This isn't the right message to be sending dude.

Besides, it's far more effective to coordinate this sort of thing with pilots who know how to tank/spread damage. That way you don't lose your "distraction" after the first engagement. Padding your own KDR at the expense of inexperienced players is kinda low.

#6 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Don't like how it's written? Don't bother coming to the Liao forums :rolleyes:

Let me make it clear for the reading impaired (Davions/Clanners), you're making a bad situation less bad. I'm not the one telling the guy to run in the middle of the caldera in Caustic alone. I'm not the one who tells the guy to fire PPCs within 30m or alpha all 9 MLs on the trial Hunchback at the same time. If the guy's destined to die a quick and fiery death regardless of what any of his team mates do, an extra 30-40 pts of damage to an enemy's CT is better than zero.

Thank goodness for the Capellan education system :blink:

By the way, if you want to "train" new players via in game chat, feel free. Tell me how that works out.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 20 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#7 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

I like eating popcorn instead.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 20 April 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Noobs don't read chat
Even if noobs read chat they don't know what it means half the time
Noobs rush out in the open on their own making their deaths often meaningless

How can you improve on that situation? If I see a trial heavy/assault that's very obviously piloted by a noob, and also if I'm in a faster mech, I'll follow about 200m behind moving from cover to cover. When the enemy team sees that guy and starts focus firing on him, that's your chance to get a few pot shots at one or many of them. With the current assault VTR, the decoy gives you about 4 seconds worth of your own shots so make use of it. Run back quickly to the main group when your decoy is dead.

Thoughts my fellow Liao warriors?

Only a Liao would openly admit to using such a dishonorable (yet viable) tactic. :rolleyes:

#9 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

I wish you weren't so right, OP, about the beginners and their tendency to commit suicide... but I like your idea (even if it is a little mean, but one must remember that in order to bake a cake one must break a few eggs) and indeed the more damage you can do to your enemy while they're distracted the better, even if it means taking advantage of the less experienced (I mean, it's not our fault they don't help themselves by practicing in the testing grounds and reading all the official tutorials etc.)

#10 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

What official tutorials?

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

It's not really a good idea. I notice that a lot of the people who are most hostile toward the state of the game, especially "the matchmaker" are often fans of this tactic. The problem is that when you run off and leave the rest of your team, especially if you're in a premade of your own, you A: ensure their destruction, and B: make it harder for your team (which includes you) to win.

What this "tactic" does is set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. If your team wins, it's because you carried it/held them off/ pressured the flank/etc. If it loses, it's because thos noskill scrubs can't hold up their own wnd of the bargain, and the matchmaker gave you subhuman morons to play with because of your lordly ego Elo. No matter what, you win! In reality, by abandoning the PuGs you ensure that they are outgunned and are helping to cause my #1 frustration in PuG play - the CowardWarrior mentality that is afraid to ever leave their favorite rock to fight.

Certainly, new players don't tend to listen; they don't know how to cooperate yet - and they never will if they use you for an example. Essentially, you're creating the problem your "strategy" is intended to solve, degrading the gameplay experience of both yourself and your team for the sake of boosting your ego.

Congratulations?
/unfollow

#12 Jet Black Dog

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

what are mercs and militia for; then?

without 'polish mine detectors' and cannon-fodder, where would ya be?

If you're a steiner, you put 'em in a zeus first is all, which i guess is why i see games where t's 50% assault mechs?

#13 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Void Angel - I give tips to new players in the appropriate forum. It's called New Players Help. You see that Forum link on top, click it, and you'll see it under Training Grounds. This is not a forum for new players and if you think that way you're in the wrong place.

If a noob is interested and determined to get better, they'll do their homework, and even reading threads like these will at least make them think about what they're doing wrong. If they're destined by the way of their own negligence to be cannon fodder for the rest of their MWO careers, then there's nothing I can do to change that.

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Like this?

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostFupDup, on 20 April 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Like this?

Sick....

#16 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 20 April 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Void Angel - I give tips to new players in the appropriate forum. It's called New Players Help. You see that Forum link on top, click it, and you'll see it under Training Grounds. This is not a forum for new players and if you think that way you're in the wrong place.

If a noob is interested and determined to get better, they'll do their homework, and even reading threads like these will at least make them think about what they're doing wrong. If they're destined by the way of their own negligence to be cannon fodder for the rest of their MWO careers, then there's nothing I can do to change that.

Actually in another point of view what you already stated is something also a tactic used by close range brawlers..

It is called damage sharing... except instead of noob replace him with someone who can actually do damage and kills just like you do... You just take turns.. This play style creates a degree of camaraderie and trust between players..

This is why I dislike the LRM super boating play style... Which now that I think about it again... Is it the same thing as what OP describes except, the whole team is your meat shield, the pilot takes up and assault slot and can't defend himself. :rolleyes:

Edited by ShinVector, 20 April 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#17 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 April 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

It's not really a good idea. I notice that a lot of the people who are most hostile toward the state of the game, especially "the matchmaker" are often fans of this tactic. The problem is that when you run off and leave the rest of your team, especially if you're in a premade of your own, you A: ensure their destruction, and B: make it harder for your team (which includes you) to win.

What this "tactic" does is set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. If your team wins, it's because you carried it/held them off/ pressured the flank/etc. If it loses, it's because thos noskill scrubs can't hold up their own wnd of the bargain, and the matchmaker gave you subhuman morons to play with because of your lordly ego Elo. No matter what, you win! In reality, by abandoning the PuGs you ensure that they are outgunned and are helping to cause my #1 frustration in PuG play - the CowardWarrior mentality that is afraid to ever leave their favorite rock to fight.

Certainly, new players don't tend to listen; they don't know how to cooperate yet - and they never will if they use you for an example. Essentially, you're creating the problem your "strategy" is intended to solve, degrading the game play experience of both yourself and your team for the sake of boosting your ego.

Congratulations?
/unfollow

Every game i lose i feel as if i could have done something to better help my team. I always do my best to guide my team if they need it. I tend to act as a shield for a teammate who is under fire; Even if it means i lose 20-30%. I cover the retreat and take the pressure off a teammate if i need to. Losing my weapons means nothing if my lance has no weapons(follow what i am saying. Of course their are those that dont listen but that generally is a lower amount. Most want to win, and most do their best. Use the commands if you have to and type it at the same time. Some are a lost cause and are just learning but the majority of players are receptive.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 April 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

The simple method is using a newbie as a meat shield.

The optimal method is using a newbie is as BAIT. Predict the newbie's movements. Shadow them. When the inevitable occurs, take advantage. If they are LRMed to death, note the locations and go kill a boat. Sniped? Again, make the sacrifice useful. Chance for an optimal shot while they involuntarily draw fire? Take it, ideally from behind.

If you can't control where they're going to, then don't follow them into suicidal situations and realize they're a suicide probe, treat them accordingly. A player that doesn't listen and has zero situational awareness is shiny bait and nothing more, and if they don't listen to you warn them, don't waste time on trying to "save" or "shield" them so that they deal 80 damage instead of 40, because that will simply mean you're at a disadvantage.

Lead the horses to water, but the ones who choose not to drink are fools and vulture food. A PUG that can't work with the team is useful only as a distraction and little else.

#19 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 20 April 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Don't like how it's written? Don't bother coming to the Liao forums :D

I'm a capellan player and I don't like this thread.

New players should be helped getting into the game, not exploited for your own gains.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Some of us in Marik joke about "pug shield activate" but this? This is EXACTLY why you get solo/casual players who don't want groups in the game. How about you stop treating new/solo/casual players as more than just cannon fodder. It might actually help YOUR match results. This is the exact kind of shit that is giving those who drop in groups a bad reputation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users