Am I Just Broken?

12 replies to this topic

#1 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Since stat reset, I haven't had much time to play. I've managed to get in two-dozen matches.

The stats are as follows:
COM-TDK [2 matches, 1.00 win ratio, 1.00 kill ratio, 606 damage (303 per match)]
ON1-P [15 matches, 0.88 win ratio, 0.60 kill ratio, 3,315 damage (222 per match)]
CPLT-J [3 matches, 3.00 win ratio, 5.00 kill ratio, 641 damage (214 per match)]
GRN-1N [4 matches, 0.00 win ratio, 0.75 kill ratio, 628 damage (157 per match)]

The COM-TDK is an old 'mech, but other three are all new. Even with that, how is it that I'm doing 50% more damage on average with a light than heavies; and double mediums? Does this mean I'm a natural light pilot? Anyone got any suggestions on tactics I should be employing as a heavy pilot?

From this list of 'mechs you might quickly be realizing that I prefer lasers and PPCs to ballistics. Something about that recharge sound has me hooked; I love knowing the next shot is "in the barrel".

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

The COM-TDK is harder to hit than any GRN, CPLT, or ON1. It's smaller. It's also (probably) faster. No ammo-dependent weapons means virtually unlimited damage potential, too.

If you play it well AND enjoy it, then I say keep right on with that.

If you don't enjoy it, then put it on the shelf. You can be the very best in the game, but it you're not having fun, then you're not doing yourself any favors. I'd rather have fun being awful, than be awesome and miserable about it.

#3 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Anything under 100 matches in any of the chassis doesn't reflect anything. You need more games to make any conclusions.

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

I discovered I need a certain about of speed to be effective and contribute to my team. Medium mechs suit me the best. Especially ones with jump jets. I have all 3 Quickdraws, but they play like mediums, not heavies. The only other non medium mech I own is the free TDR-9S from this weekends give away.

So, IMHO, play what mech you perform the best in. I've tried Assaults and besides the pre-nerf Victor, I suck in them. I'd love to be an Assault pilot, but I know I'm no good in them so I stick to the mediums. Can I learn to pilot a slow moving behemoth of a mech, probably. But I don't really want to.

Jody

#5 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 21 April 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Anything under 100 matches in any of the chassis doesn't reflect anything. You need more games to make any conclusions.

Given that it has taken me > 6 weeks to get in 12 matches, you sir are going to be waiting a long time. :-)

View PostTheRAbbi, on 21 April 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

The COM-TDK is harder to hit than any GRN, CPLT, or ON1. It's smaller. It's also (probably) faster.

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 21 April 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

I discovered I need a certain about of speed to be effective and contribute to my team.

Yes, it's likely the speed difference. I find that I'm rather good and keeping underfoot and very annoying in matches with lots of assault 'mechs. Kintaros and Jenners scare me away. Do love the impact of a PPC, too bad they don't fit on a TDK.

#6 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 21 April 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Given that it has taken me > 6 weeks to get in 12 matches, you sir are going to be waiting a long time. :-)

Its not a problem of me waiting/nor waiting for a long time, its a question of Elo. It takes quite a few matches (at least 100, better yet 1000) to stabilize your Elo at your average "skill level". As there is no way of knowing your Elo, you can't say if you are dropping in a higher tier than your skill resulting in you performing worse than you should, or visa versa, lower skill tier resulting in you performing better. Plus ... its always better to do as many matches as possible to judge how good you do in a certain mech, low amount of matches can result in abnormally good/bad ones affecting your stats too much.

#7 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 21 April 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Its not a problem of me waiting/nor waiting for a long time, its a question of Elo. It takes quite a few matches (at least 100, better yet 1000) to stabilize your Elo at your average "skill level". As there is no way of knowing your Elo, you can't say if you are dropping in a higher tier than your skill resulting in you performing worse than you should, or visa versa, lower skill tier resulting in you performing better. Plus ... its always better to do as many matches as possible to judge how good you do in a certain mech, low amount of matches can result in abnormally good/bad ones affecting your stats too much.

Was ELO reset when stats were reset? Prior to the reset I had just over 1,000 games played. :-)

#8 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 21 April 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Was ELO reset when stats were reset? Prior to the reset I had just over 1,000 games played. :-)

Elo wasn't reset.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Need more matches to have stats. Need to remember that some builds -- while fun -- can be utterly useless at scoring kills and/or helping you win matches.

#10 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Your Epeen is magnificent sir! I am in awe.

#11 Sagedabluemage

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

it must be the playstyle and how u use the mechs mentioned. I often find i would love to pilot an atlas but i last about 30 secs in them tops since i have no idea how torso twist fast enuff. but if u put me in a catapault however and I frolic around the map so happily and in comfort.

i dun think you are broken maybe u havent found the right set up since u have a jester already and i have mine done up. Try this set up

2 ERLL or LL Arms
4 medium lazers C R L Torso's
engine xl355 4 double heat sinks (inside max) I just used the engine since i had it i think the sweet spot is supposed to be the xl350 one but i cant tell the difference.
2 ams 1 ton ammo head C R Torso
left and right torso 2 Double heatsinks each
2 jump jet in each torso
Max armor on arms
49 on legs
Center torso 70/14
L R torso's 48/12- 50/10 preference really
weapon groups

1 Large lazers
2 left side medium lazers
3 Right side medium lazers

modules- really prefernce i cant say its the best for this mech at all but it helps being able to see i kinda play spotter and poke with this stuff

advanced zoom
advanced sensor range
Improved Gyros

Structure- endo
armor -standard
Heat sink - Double
standard guidance

its a fun build but mind you i have all of my catapaults mastered- so if you are over heating just slow down the rate of fire
also note u want to poke as much as possible set up on a ridge and play cat and mouse
i often find myself getting chased by ecm ravens but the speed usualy catches them off guard when i give chase most lights anyway. if u have trouble turning just tap on the space bar to jumpjet a lil to speed up yer rate of turning.
Sometimes if im getting chased i JJ turn around sweep with lazers and 360 back into running postion.

anyway hope u find wat im saying a lil helpful or at least a little useful for u in yer travels Cheers!

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Some people lack the mentality to play certain builds.
Or to put it in a more positive manor - some people's mentalities make playing certain builds easier than others.

You can be good (or even great) in one build - and still do even better in one perceived as "weaker"

Of course, some of that is luck. :)
(IE: did they shoot at you? Or someone else?)

View PostTheRAbbi, on 21 April 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

If you play it well AND enjoy it, then I say keep right on with that.

If you don't enjoy it, then put it on the shelf. You can be the very best in the game, but it you're not having fun, then you're not doing yourself any favors. I'd rather have fun being awful, than be awesome and miserable about it.

Seconding these.

#13 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 21 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Since stat reset, I haven't had much time to play. I've managed to get in two-dozen matches.

The stats are as follows:
COM-TDK [2 matches, 1.00 win ratio, 1.00 kill ratio, 606 damage (303 per match)]
ON1-P [15 matches, 0.88 win ratio, 0.60 kill ratio, 3,315 damage (222 per match)]
CPLT-J [3 matches, 3.00 win ratio, 5.00 kill ratio, 641 damage (214 per match)]
GRN-1N [4 matches, 0.00 win ratio, 0.75 kill ratio, 628 damage (157 per match)]

The COM-TDK is an old 'mech, but other three are all new. Even with that, how is it that I'm doing 50% more damage on average with a light than heavies; and double mediums? Does this mean I'm a natural light pilot? Anyone got any suggestions on tactics I should be employing as a heavy pilot?

From this list of 'mechs you might quickly be realizing that I prefer lasers and PPCs to ballistics. Something about that recharge sound has me hooked; I love knowing the next shot is "in the barrel".

The Death's Knell is a great mech, in my mind arguably the best anti-light mech among the lights in a good pilot's hands.

Now, if you were in love with the victor post nerf, I would say you were broken...(or rather the chassis is...)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users