ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

If you are willing to accept TT. WLF tank better somehow! I have seen a Wolfhound Shrug off a battle lance weapon's fire! It scared the heck out of my team.

and TT has what influence on this game?

#22 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostFupDup, on 21 April 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

On a side note, the Wolfhound might turn out to be somewhat okay-ish because it will share the same engine limit as the Firestarter and Raven 3L, while also being able to carry at least 5 MLas.

The Panther, on the other hand, will probably have a max engine of XL200. This would give it a top speed of 101.8 kph after speed tweak. Its hardpoints seem lackluster but not horrible. Maybe some kind of long-range energy like an ERPPC or w/e, and have SSRMs in the CT missile slots?

They need to give mech perks that increase armor pool

Or distinguish each chassis by having max armor as a multiple of its stock armor.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

and TT has what influence on this game?

In many cases none... Still respect the hound... RESPECT it!
Posted Image

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

On a side note, the Wolfhound might turn out to be somewhat okay-ish because it will share the same engine limit as the Firestarter and Raven 3L, while also being able to carry at least 5 MLas.

The Panther, on the other hand, will probably have a max engine of XL200. This would give it a top speed of 101.8 kph after speed tweak. Its hardpoints seem lackluster but not horrible. Maybe some kind of long-range energy like an ERPPC or w/e, and have SSRMs in the CT missile slots?

How many medium lasers can the FS9 carry? And jump?

#25 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

While all this is true, couldn't you run all those load outs with the 35 tonners we have already? Is putting the SSRM in a side torso much different than CT?

#26 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 21 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

They need to give mech perks that increase armor pool

Or distinguish each chassis by having max armor as a multiple of its stock armor.

My own favored idea for distinguishing durability would be to allow mechs to equip the Modular Armor item if their design was to be abnormally durable for their weight class, i.e. Hunchback, Atlas, Thunderbolt, Urbie, Panther, etc. It's a year 3070 item that weighs 1 ton and grants extra armor to the section it is mounted in (TT was +10 armor, but MWO is double armor so +20). Only 1 MA per section.

http://www.sarna.net...i/Modular_Armor

Of course, this would require a timeline jump...

#27 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

No Zeus on the list?

Into the trash it goes.

#28 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

Not enough reason by itself. A twisty but slow Mech is still gonna be dead. And yeah, this coming from an Urbanmech fan.

It might not be for you but it is for me. The FS9's pitch is atrocious, even elited I refuse to drop in them. WLF ought to have a slimmer build and one HELLUVA better cockpit view that ought to even beat the griffin

Not every mech has to be a worldbeater, even if its only 80% as good as whats considered best someone will be able to be an ace in it.

#29 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

View PostDavers, on 21 April 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

While all this is true, couldn't you run all those load outs with the 35 tonners we have already? Is putting the SSRM in a side torso much different than CT?

I know that. :D

I wasn't saying they'd be truly good mind you, just that their hardpoints might be semi-decent. Sort of like how the Thunderbolt is not even remotely good of a chassis, but also not bad. Middle-of-the-road okay-ish.

#30 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Five.

#31 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostCyner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

No Zeus on the list?

Into the trash it goes.

They haven't given us the entire list. :D

#32 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

No point being 'middle of the road' when the fast lane costs the exact same. :D

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 21 April 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

It might not be for you but it is for me. The FS9's pitch is atrocious, even elited I refuse to drop in them. WLF ought to have a slimmer build and one HELLUVA better cockpit view that ought to even beat the griffin

Not every mech has to be a worldbeater, even if its only 80% as good as whats considered best someone will be able to be an ace in it.

How do you equate the WLF having a better cockpit view?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And pitch is far from enough to compensate for lack of JJs when getting swarmed by Lights.

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 21 April 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Five.

up to 8, actually.

#34 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

In most depictions it features a wide three paneled rectangular viewport. But since you said better shall I assume you don't play with a backed out pov? because the fs9 cockpit sucks. right up there with atlas

And if you're fighting lights with other lights that aren't named oxide you are wasting your abilities.

Edited by Khajja nar Jatargk, 21 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#35 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Oh, and another thing. The Panther reminds me of exactly why the Tabletop engine heatsink rules blow so hard. Right now, sub-250 engines have to place some of their sinks on the outside for some arbitrary and pointless reason, which essentially "taxes" them of critical slots. When you factor in the necessary tech upgrades to compete, such as XL, Endo, and FF, this becomes pretty major.

The Panther's max engine limit, if it follows the same formula as usual (stock engine * 1.4 for lights), will be an XL200. So not only is the Panther slow, but he also can't carry any better weapons than most other lights, AND now he also loses 6 critical slots for building. It's completely stupid to further gimp and already gimped chassis.

What I believe needs to be done to help slow lights (and/or all Locusts/Commandos) is to make all 10 base sinks be located inside of the engine. Note that this change would cause sub-250 engine weights to be increased to accommodate those additional sinks. However, in the end the net weight spent on engine and sinks would be identical. The only difference is that now you'd get more slots to play with (you do not gain or lose any tonnage).

Edited by FupDup, 21 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#36 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Quick, someone ask if the Ymir is a thing they know about.
I don't use twitter.

View PostFaith McCarron, on 21 April 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Wolfhound....do we really need another 35 ton energy boat?

As cool as the Wolfhoud is, I'm inclined to agree. It's a fire starter sans jump jets. This same-'Mech syndrome is what everyone said would happen back in closed beta when PGI refused to differentiate 'Mech hard points. :D

#37 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Id actually be rather enthusiastic about a Ymir :D

#38 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Panther and Wolfhound are sadly just about DOA due to PGIs hardpoint system, or lack there of.

What is one single thing the Jenner or Firestarter can't do better than either? FS9 is as fast or faster than either, the Jenner is markedly so. Both match or vastly exceed the hard points and the FS9s hitboxes really would be difficult to improve on.

Heck, you'd be hard pressed to get the Panther to 100 kph.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT both mechs in. I just don't see the point, currently.

I don't know, buddy. A 35 tonner moving around 90-100kph would have a lot of weaponry on it. Think of it like a smaller sexier Blackjack. Could be pretty sweet and I wouldn't have to pilot anything cheesy and hideous like the Turdstarter.

#39 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

To be honest, I would be surprised if anything actually came from the King Crab, as PGI has already stated that they would not allow the AC/20 to be split among the arms and torsos. No, I think they will leave the Mauler as the only assault that can mount dual AC/20's. Man, just thinking of the tears...

#40 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 21 April 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

I don't know, buddy. A 35 tonner moving around 90-100kph would have a lot of weaponry on it. Think of it like a smaller sexier Blackjack. Could be pretty sweet and I wouldn't have to pilot anything cheesy and hideous like the Turdstarter.

At that point I'd rather drive one of my 55 ton mediums, which go the same speed with more armor and waaaaay more firepower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users