322 replies to this topic

#301 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

In all seriousness, I would rather (and in fact do) just play something else if the circumstances would require me to drop solo.

The closest I come to solo dropping is sync dropping.

I will not participate in any event that requires me to play solo unless I am sync dropping. If my friends aren't online I may try and find new friends or as i said just play something else.

MWO is, to me, not a game that is supposed to be played solo. It should be a game where you expect and have support. No mech is an island. If that style of play is unavailable to me I will choose not to play, or find ways to work the system to make it happen.

Bottom line there is no circumstance when i play MWO where i am not trying to be in a group whether it's within the mechanics or around them.

#302 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 23 April 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

'Played in a planetary' what?

What is this "planetary" you speak of?

Y'know... like NBT... where you could move mechs and take over factrories and plan battles, all using the MW4 Mechwarrior sim to play out the battles.

http://www.netbattle...map/starmap.php

Lots of stuff to do outside the cockpit, for people that can't stop thinking about it.

#303 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 22 April 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

My point isn't about being right or wrong, never has been.

Its about embracing everyones view, and trying to build something more inclusive.

Easy there fella. Otherwise you might get flagged as being a WhiteKnight. Yo know, those who support or oppose. :)

#304 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 22 April 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

stuff

This is normal everyday MMO stuff.

stuff

Agreed. And when MWO becomes an MMO, it will likely add all those things. :)

I do believe we have reached the 85% barrier. Anything said beyond here is out of the 84% purview. Thanks for playing. LOL!

P.S. I do love when the "girls" fight though. ;)

#305 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 23 April 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

It's called a tangent. Like when the guy you quoted said "I drop solo because I have all this other shit I can do in mah mmo", and you used that comment to make a soap box about freedom of choice. I was just bringing it back to his point. But hey one man's "Inane" is another man's soap box.

Below is the exact quote. He never said anything about crafting, questing, NPCs, in other words things that have no bearing in a discussion about MWO. What he does state is that his grouped time was spent working with others, in groups, doing PvE and PvP. In other words, he had the freedom to pursue whatever he wanted, solo or grouped. PGI took that freedom away from the players in this game.

Stop trying to spin what I say to your ends. Tangent, lol...

View Postdimstog, on 23 April 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

I've played EVE online and World of Warcraft. I was a competitive player in both, being in a 0.0 Alliance in the former and a guild with very decent heroic progress in the latter. Guess what, half my time in both games was spent tooting my own horn and doing my own thing with minimal interaction with my "co-pilots" and "guildmates". The other half of the time was spent in excruciatingly complicated PvP and PvE team efforts. Does that make me a solo player or a team player ? The answer is neither.

As to the above, you know what? Im about the same. I used to spend about 50% of my time doing my thing, and the other 50% playing with the guys in my unit. Now its 95% solo, and 5% grouped in the last 6 months.

#306 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostKaldor, on 23 April 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

As to the above, you know what? Im about the same. I used to spend about 50% of my time doing my thing, and the other 50% playing with the guys in my unit. Now its 95% solo, and 5% grouped in the last 6 months.

Just curious, why only 5% over the last 6 months?

#307 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 April 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Just curious, why only 5% over the last 6 months?

Its been a time thing first and lack of people on the TS server second. Ive been out for so long most of the old guard open beta testers are gone. I have no idea who is good, who is bad, and who I want to avoid like the plague in FWLM anymore because of that.

I took almost a year off other than to check things out after patches because the metagame hasnt changed. I still run the same mech with almost exactly the same build I ran 14 months ago. Phract 3D, once with 4 PPCs (even after ghost heat), now with 2 PPCs and 2 LLs or LPLs.

Just a general lack of interest other than for me to login, and solo troll people at my ELO as I still do everything I did a year ago, in spite of PGIs changes. As they basically stated in the most recent NGNG (edit), "...good players will always find a way..."

Edit: removed something that could potentially get me a nasty gram...

Edited by Kaldor, 23 April 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#308 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostKaldor, on 23 April 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Its been a time thing first and lack of people on the TS server second. Ive been out for so long most of the old guard open beta testers are gone. I have no idea who is good, who is bad, and who I want to avoid like the plague in FWLM anymore because of that.

I mostly solo because I play 20 minutes, pick up a kid and come back, play 30 minutes, pick up a kid and come back, play 20 minutes, eat dinner, and so on. I look for friends, and if I think I can commit to a solid hour or two I will send an invite.

A decent lobby system and I will gladly drop with people I recognize every time, as long as I don't have to screw up everyone else's games.

#309 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

I, Kraven Kor, drop solo (usually, these days...) because:
  • Finding and forming a group without an adequate interface within the game itself is frustrating and time consuming.
  • Losing a player or trying to add a 5th+ causes a lot of down time, forces the splitting of the group, or forces one player to be odd man out.
  • Lack of in-game tools for managing and commanding or coordinating a group.
  • General lack of time spent playing MWO due to various complaints I have with how things have (largely not) developed; no Community Warfare, game modes are boring and uninspired and lack any "lore" so far as it feeling like I'm fighting a war. The game modes seem very game-y and lack any immersion into the setting.

#310 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostAgent of Change, on 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

In all seriousness, I would rather (and in fact do) just play something else if the circumstances would require me to drop solo.

The closest I come to solo dropping is sync dropping.

I will not participate in any event that requires me to play solo unless I am sync dropping. If my friends aren't online I may try and find new friends or as i said just play something else.

MWO is, to me, not a game that is supposed to be played solo. It should be a game where you expect and have support. No mech is an island. If that style of play is unavailable to me I will choose not to play, or find ways to work the system to make it happen.

Bottom line there is no circumstance when i play MWO where i am not trying to be in a group whether it's within the mechanics or around them.

For a guy self-named "Agent of Change" you sure do seem rather stubborn. Just say'n... :-p

#311 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

It's quite simple...

I drop solo because an unexpectedly strong planetary defence system crippled my drop ship, leaving me as my lance's sole survivor, injured, isolated and ill-equipped, well behind enemy lines.

Using my wits alone, but drawing on my father's legacy as a tech, I must not only salvage and jury-rig the parts necessary to repair my damaged Jenner, but also fight a desperate rear guard action as I make my way back through the enemy forces to my Main Battle Group's originally intended rendezvous.

There I hope to be reunited with my commander, the strategically brilliant but emotionally distant cousin who tried to dissuade me from volunteering to risk my life on this perilous mission. It's my secret hope that, when we're reunited, her sense of loss during the period I've been MIA will have triggered in her the sudden realisation that she loves me, leading her to accept my marriage proposal - despite her father's misgivings and the implications it will have for our House's monarchical succession.

Edited by Appogee, 28 April 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#312 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 April 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

There I hope to be reunited with my commander, the strategically brilliant but emotionally distant cousin who tried to dissuade me from volunteering to risk my life on this perilous mission. It's my secret hope that, when we're reunited, her sense of loss during the period I've been MIA will have triggered in her the sudden realisation that she loves me, leading her to accept my marriage proposal - despite her father's misgivings and the implications it will have for our House's monarchical succession.
Dude... Marrying your cousin? Don't come crying to me when all your kids end up with too many toes, and a proclivity to play the banjo...

#313 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

When I drop solo it's because;

- I'm tired and don't want to socialize (quite rare but happens)
- I'm piloting my Locust and don't want to.. erm.. handicap my friends (I really like to pilot Locust)
- I just got off from work and it's very early and none of my friends are online
- 4-man groups are full in my unit and I am forced to drop solo (which sucks btw)

Because of the above reasons, I drop solo less than 50% of the time I spend in MWO. And I spend quite alot of time in MWO.

#314 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

I drop solo because Solitaire is more relaxing and as much fun as logging into MWO these days...

#315 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

i am 100% honest when i say: i rather don´t play at all than dropping solo

that sure was different about 1 year or so ago, but i just can´t play solo random matches anymore

according to PGI i am a

Posted Image

Edited by Alex Warden, 28 April 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#316 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I have no friends~! xD

#317 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

I drop solo because:

1) Without CW it seems like a mute point to join up with an organized group right now (unless you want to save yourself pug stomp frustration due to matchmaking)

2) The one other person i have on my friends list logged in maybe three to four times then went back to BF4 then Titanfall.

3) Did I mention CW already?

<celebrates his first post>

#318 Quarkspace

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

I drop solo because since the 80s when someone introduced me to Battletech I've never met anyone else in RL who's heard of it.

All outfits I've seen require TeamSpeak in their advertisements. Being the antisocial git I am I'd rather get to know people through messaging. I've heard there are some Lone Wolf drops which might be what I'm looking for but am not sure how they work.

Later I could probably be persuaded to move into TeamSpeak later on as it's obviously more efficient.

Some of my favourite gaming moments of the last decade were playing Star Trek EliteForce in a "clan" match and I'd like to be involved in something like that again.

#319 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostAlex Warden, on 28 April 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

i am 100% honest when i say: i rather don´t play at all than dropping solo

that sure was different about 1 year or so ago, but i just can´t play solo random matches anymore

according to PGI i am a

Posted Image

No offense but I believe you meant:

Posted Image

#320 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 29 April 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

No offense but I believe you meant:

Posted Image

no... since i tend to play solely 12vs12 and now private, i am even too "exclusive" for the 16% ... according to pgi´s statistics groups are 16%, while 12vs12 players are just 1%... Outlaw baby :P

Edited by Alex Warden, 30 April 2014 - 03:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users