General

76 replies to this topic

#1 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Honestly, I'm just curious. Those of you who have alt accounts...why do you? Since nothing is tradeable in this game, you may as well put all your mechs on one account and stock up...sharing modules, weapon caches...etc.

Granted, I CAN see having a 'camera' account for making movies/taking screenshots, or even a 'testing' account to try out crazy stuff if you care about stats, or to test the 'new player' experience.

Do you guys have alt accounts for any other reasons?

#2 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Alt Accounts...why?

1. A not so 'serious bizness' account is good to have.
2. To have an account I don't mind playing solo battles with (since relying on noobish/bad puggies is not kosher on main accts imo).
3. Then ofc there is the Troll factor.
4. To get the FTP experience that some of us do not get on our main/paid accounts.
5. Spy? not so common now but when CW's is introduced and internet mechs becomes serious bizness it will be something many will do as many did in internet tanks.

#3 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think you get a lot of founders trying to pretend that they arent as a form of useless protest

#4 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I do not have alt accounts, btw a guy I know has alt accounts in order to have more than 4 mechbays. When we drop together, he picks the account depending on the mech needed.

#5 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I created one back when PGI was lying about Phase 1 being June/13 and assuming that you would need 12 to launch so if you had 11, you could a have at least an alt to allow you to launch to defend your planet. Of course, that never happened. That account is now a good stat for PGI to see poor new player retention (no log in after cadet bonus).

#6 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I did once in order to try a weird build with cadet bonus $. I didn't want to use my main account's C-bills for it. (for which I'm glad - it kinda sucked)

#7 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

I think my first 10 or so was back when they first came out with cadet bonus. No Elo balancing and all the trials were stock mechs. I would then try to see how much cash and wins and such I could do in 25 games. Then ended up using them to try out mechs didn't own and kind of never really wanted. I would then tie accounts to a single chasis if I liked the mech.

At some point, not sure when, decided not to play main account(that has cash tied to it) till CW comes out. I think I will take it outta the mothballs for the free mech though.

#8 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 21 April 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Honestly, I'm just curious. Those of you who have alt accounts...why do you? Since nothing is tradeable in this game, you may as well put all your mechs on one account and stock up...sharing modules, weapon caches...etc.

Granted, I CAN see having a 'camera' account for making movies/taking screenshots, or even a 'testing' account to try out crazy stuff if you care about stats, or to test the 'new player' experience.

Because I'm a rock star around here and I get tired of being hounded by the masses every time I drop in a match. DUH! :)

#9 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

I did it to group with a friend who wanted to try the game so instead of grouping with him in a higher bracket, I just made a new account to drop with him in the lower brackets.

#10 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

I have one that I use to drop with friends of mine who are new to the game. I don't play it otherwise.

Edited by Adiuvo, 21 April 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#11 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostRobin Wolf, on 21 April 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I do not have alt accounts, btw a guy I know has alt accounts in order to have more than 4 mechbays. When we drop together, he picks the account depending on the mech needed.

http://www.penny-arc.../18/chronomancy

#12 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Personally I made my alt account to get back into the game after a long break, there was some kind of rookie reward for new players (might still exist) so I'd make money to try out mechs quicker.

I keep the account because I'm obnoxious at the best of times so when I'm in a really bad mood I can jump on that and not sully this name any more than I already do.

#13 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Because PGI won't allow accounts to be merged.

I'd gladly pay back the Cadet bonus or pay a small MC fee to merge existing accounts.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

Cuz I'm an old school RPGer.

Bishop Steiner is a tried and true Merc with strong ties to the FedCom, and blood ties to the House of Steiner. I will NOT run Clan Mechs, for instance on this account. Bishop Steiner is NOT a Clanner.

My Alt Account, (which is super secret, so there!) is a Tikonovian ex-pat who had migrated to the FRR, and became a MechWarrior in their Military. Was taken by Clan GhostBear as a bondsman, and eventually became a Warrior Again. That Account I will run Clan Tech with when I am in the mood.

Is it "logical"? Maybe not, but it's a video game, and games are for fun. Role Playing adds to the fun, for me.

View PostTrauglodyte, on 21 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Because I'm a rock star around here and I get tired of being hounded by the masses every time I drop in a match. DUH! :)

actually, I did notice less focus fire on my Alt Account. Too many people like to shoot at the ForumWarrior for his liking......lol.

#15 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Those of you who have alt accounts...why do you?

I've started new accounts to experience major changes from the perspective of a new player. Or if I want to mess with the MM without using my main account. Like afking for 50 games to see what my W/L ratio would be. It was 50/50.

It's interesting to start a fresh account and see veteran players in your first game. : /

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 21 April 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think you get a lot of founders trying to pretend that they aren't as a form of useless protest

You can just turn off the tag in the game. I've tried to turn my on but it never sticks : /

#16 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

We use anonymous alts (Blood Officer 006, Blood Officer 023 etc) to suit up in for various unit based events such Trials of Position and Grand Melees so that players involved in an event as a candidate/competitor do not know who they are facing. Thats a rarer reason but we are not the only unit to use this method.

Plus as others have noted, if you have any notariety at all it can be nice to be an unknown again periodically lol.

#17 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

I like to see how the other side lives, and life is tough without c-bills, XL engines, modules, pilot upgrades, etc. Especially when going up against well established premade teams, and this from a seasoned player. I can't imagine how PGI expects to retain brand new players under those conditions.

Sorry strayed a little off the path, but yeah, I like to test the waters to see if this game is ready to recommend to friends, because you only get one first impression.

#18 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

It's relaxing to play with less stress, and it's the account I use to introduce friends while I help them on my account. Let them experience a variety of mechs, besides the trial mechs. That way their first cadet bonus + free premium day go to their best use.

#19 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Because you can't use Clan gear when you are Inner Sphere! Oh, wait..

#20 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Without card in hand, I started another account just to see what the grind is like. It's brutal to say the least.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users