Balance

66 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Yes, the charge-up mechanic lowered the DPS of the weapon and made it a little trickier to use.

But sniping is not about DPS, it is about striking with less risk and having a larger sphere of influence on the battlefield.

If 40 damage from dual AC/20 at short range needed ghost heat, I think 30 (or 45) damage from any range needs it, too.

And it needs a lot of ghost heat, or it would simply dissapate before the weapons can be fired again anyway. Remember, it's a sniping weapon. The user could still fire dual gauss rifles and duck behind cover to cool down. But doing so should nearly shut down most mechs. Three should be fatal.

Maybe having a single gauss is a bit underpowered. Or maybe the dual AC/5 (the gauss' chief competitor for a home in your mech) is a bit overpowered. But those problems should not be held as a reason to not address a different problem. There is no reason we can't fix them all.

#2 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

lol i dunno if 4x or even 3x gauss is doable on annihilator/direwolf but if it is it would be sooo broken.

imagine having a ghost heat on gauss. you'd have to put them into 2 groups with the hold down mechanic, it would be so ******* hard to fire that stuff with optimal efficiency

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

lol i dunno if 4x or even 3x gauss is doable on annihilator/direwolf but if it is it would be sooo broken.

Direwolf can easily do x4 Gauss. Although that worries me less than x4 UAC10 or x3 UAC20.

#4 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

ive found that those builds are only really a threat if you leave them alone, or are the only one who goes after them, when a team actually uses teamwork those guys with duel guass are a joke and might be able to do maybe 100 damage, i;ve ran those builds before and i generally got torn apart the moment the enemy saw what i had, there have been a few times when i was ignored and devastated in a match, but then that goes for any build, try calling out the target, it helps, but it is hard sometimes, just remember thoughif any mech isn't being targeted they're dangerous, some just need to be prioritized more than others

#5 Captain Biaxin

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Here is a 3x Gauss Cataphract, but the armor of a light mech armor and 50.6 kph makes it very bad.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7f109e345d616a3

#6 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostStygian Steel, on 21 April 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

ive found that those builds are only really a threat if you leave them alone, or are the only one who goes after them, when a team actually uses teamwork those guys with duel guass are a joke and might be able to do maybe 100 damage

View PostCaptain Biaxin, on 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Here is a 3x Gauss Cataphract, but the armor of a light mech armor and 50.6 kph makes it very bad.

True, they don't have the DPS (or with 3x, the armor) to brawl, and if they miss, it's going to cost them dearly up close. I'm just more concerned about the negative user experience of having your torso cored in an instant by an unseen enemy. How good or bad the build is at other things isn't a factor there.

#7 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostCaptain Biaxin, on 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Whether its "very Bad" or not depends entirely on the pilot im currently running a 3+ KDR on my strictly 3 X gauss illya.
Infact this complaint probably stems from one of many light mechs I 1 hit killed this weekend.

On subject though, I dont see how it would generate as much ghost heat as you are proposing. Not to mention triple gauss is extremely rare, Ive only seen 1 aside from my own this entire month. It really isnt a problem, and light mechs should learn to never stand still even when you think your safe you arent.

BTW you built it wrong, heres how you do it right.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ebe463760c75b3d

Edited by DONTOR, 21 April 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#8 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

There ain't nothing OP about mah Carl Friedrich :)

#9 Captain Biaxin

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 21 April 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Whether its "very Bad" or not depends entirely on the pilot im currently running a 3+ KDR on my strictly 3 X gauss illya.
Infact this complaint probably stems from one of many light mechs I 1 hit killed this weekend.
It was light mech open season.

Well that depends on ELO, the pilots I face hardly expose themselves from that distance. I have never seen it in competitive play because it would not last long and is not efficient.

#10 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

All I'm hearing is "Someone scratched my paint! NEEEEEERF!"

So on top of needing to charge before firing, being the single heaviest weapon in the game, being a slot-hog, and the fact the weapon ******* explodes, the OP wants gauss rifles to have ghost heat (a ******** addition in the first place).

Here's a better idea: Learn to cope! If you see a stupid build like this just type "Glass cannon at (insert location)" and watch as he dies horribly.

#11 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Really?? I would say ok when gausses wouldnt have charge time, but really??? Ghost heat on charge up weapon? lol thats just stupid ...

#12 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

No.

These builds are effective under certain circumstances and totally useless under others thanks to the laughably low DPS of the gauss coupled with the charge up mechanic.

If I start piloting Jagers one will be dual gauss, but it's certainly not OP, not anymore. We've experienced power creep as mechs have been introduced and weapons tweaked. I'd rather have 3xUAC/5 or 4xAC/5 any day of the week.

#13 Avatara

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Personally I think we should ad a x50 (maybe even x100) modifier to the base heat of the Guass rifle.

#14 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Give it 100x ghost heat for all I care.

It's still not going to create any heat! :)

#15 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Does anyone even use it nowadays?

#16 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

This thread is just wrong. No, they don't need ghost heat. To survive, simply mix the following

1. Don't move in straight lines.
2. Don't move at constant (or "predictable") speed.
3. Be erratic.
4. Don't stand around out in the open.

People - this is a game that takes some skill. They can't just keep making it easier because nobody wants to put in the time to get better.

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

#18 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 21 April 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Does anyone even use it nowadays?

Only dual gauss is popular, single is not worth unless its paired with 2ppc :/

#19 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

3x 1 heat is.. what.. 3 heat?

#20 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Something killed me so it needs to be nerfed into the ground.

Nah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users