• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 22 April 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'm assuming the OP is trolling? The easiest way to counter a 3 Gauss Phract is to locate it on your HUD, sneeze in it's general direction, and watch it explode, then move on to the next mech.

Wait... You have to sneeze as well! The OP is right about 3 Gauss being OP in the OP!

/sarcasm.

#42 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

Sure. sounds like a great idea. How about no ghost heat for 2 Gauss and the 3rd Gauss has a Ghost heat penalty of 50%
so this means 3 Gauss shooting whould be 3,5 heat instead of 3.... still way less than SHS can easily manage... ok. Do it so.

#43 Av4tar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOcean 12

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostFelio, on 21 April 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes, the charge-up mechanic lowered the DPS of the weapon and made it a little trickier to use.

But sniping is not about DPS, it is about striking with less risk and having a larger sphere of influence on the battlefield.

If 40 damage from dual AC/20 at short range needed ghost heat, I think 30 (or 45) damage from any range needs it, too.

And it needs a lot of ghost heat, or it would simply dissapate before the weapons can be fired again anyway. Remember, it's a sniping weapon. The user could still fire dual gauss rifles and duck behind cover to cool down. But doing so should nearly shut down most mechs. Three should be fatal.

Maybe having a single gauss is a bit underpowered. Or maybe the dual AC/5 (the gauss' chief competitor for a home in your mech) is a bit overpowered. But those problems should not be held as a reason to not address a different problem. There is no reason we can't fix them all.

I totaly agree, gauss need ghost heat.
And the we need all the other weapons have the attribute "exploding when crit" too. They also need to get charge before firing :P

#44 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

Before people put up suggestions for changes to the game like this, I wish they'd actually test out the idea first. Adding ghost heat to gauss is a stupid idea. The gauss rifle is already Nerfed enough from the charge mechanic that it's a rarity on the battlefield. To date, I've never seen a triple gauss fielded, and if I did see such a gimmick build, it wouldn't last minute. If you think the build is broken, then play it and provide some screen shots or video of the OP awesomeness. I'll bet if you try hard enough, you might eventually have a good game... Of course, we'll also post our videos and screen shots of you dead mech and crappy damage. Otherwise, I'm putting this on the pile with the rest of the bad ideas that come from people with no real knowledge of what they speak.

#45 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

Pretty good example of a typical 3-gauss game from another player

Notice how his armor gets stripped extremely fast? If more mechs had looked his way, he would have been neutralized quickly. Ignoring this build will be your death, but as Faith said "sneeze in it's general direction, and watch it explode" couldn't be more true.

#46 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

After that video. I am in love with Ian and Satchmo rules!

#47 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Right now dual Gauss is fine, and trip Gauss is pretty stupid to run.

What I'm about to say goes for pretty much every weapon set-up.

If you leave them alone, they can mess you up.

If you have a guy with Dual LBX10's running around, and no one bothers to shoot him, he's going to hurt you.

Dual Gauss is the same, if you leave it alone, it will hurt you

Also...we cannot nerf items based on the Clans, PGI has not released any concrete info (because I'm guessing they have none) on how the Clan versions are going to work.

We'll deal with that cluster-f when it arrives.

#48 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostFelio, on 21 April 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes, the charge-up mechanic lowered the DPS of the weapon and made it a little trickier to use.

But sniping is not about DPS, it is about striking with less risk and having a larger sphere of influence on the battlefield.

If 40 damage from dual AC/20 at short range needed ghost heat, I think 30 (or 45) damage from any range needs it, too.

And it needs a lot of ghost heat, or it would simply dissapate before the weapons can be fired again anyway. Remember, it's a sniping weapon. The user could still fire dual gauss rifles and duck behind cover to cool down. But doing so should nearly shut down most mechs. Three should be fatal.

Maybe having a single gauss is a bit underpowered. Or maybe the dual AC/5 (the gauss' chief competitor for a home in your mech) is a bit overpowered. But those problems should not be held as a reason to not address a different problem. There is no reason we can't fix them all.
HA! I remember you! I should have guessed you'd have come here asking for more nerfs.

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I've always stated I'd do my best to get good enough with the gauss to make people call for even MORE nerfs.

Here's some facts from the other side of the fence (no I didn't bother reading this entire thread so if I'm going over old material, sorry):

1. Gauss has the 2nd slowest reload in game. Only the LRM20 is slower.
2. While gauss ammo isn't explosive, so far, no matter the state of your gauss rifle, it's ALWAYS explosive, with a >>>90%<<< chance of exploding when crit'd. Weapon not charged? Doesn't matter, it splodes anyway. You've shot EVERY round of ammo and have ZERO ammo? Doesn't matter, it splodes anyway. NO OTHER WEAPON IN GAME HAS A CHANCE OF EXPLODING WHEN IT IS COMPLETELY OUT OF AMMO.
3. It's the most fragile weapon in the game.
4. Instant pin-point convergence? That's a myth. It's FAST, but NOT instant.
5. Instant damage? Another myth, it's FAST, NOT instant.
6. Like lasers, PPC's and other ballistics requires direct LOS, however, you have that pesky .75 second charge time and ONLY a .25 second firing window before you have to recharge. You have to be REALLY good at predicting where the enemy is going to be, or, they have to be 'moderately' stationary, OR, better yet, have to be out in the open with no cover.
7. With the charge mechanic it is NOT a great 'in-fighting' weapon. If the enemy closes on you, you may have issues. If they're fast moving lights, you DEFINITELY have issues. Don't get me wrong a couple of well timed shots will end most lights (if you're not being screwed by the hit detection/hit box issues lights still seem to be enjoying), however when they're humping your leg, and you only have a .25 second shot window once charge... Well... It's REALLY hard!

BUT, go ahead, nerf away... I will STILL blow the crap out of you with the additionally nerfed gauss rifle because you will STILL be making the SAME mistakes match after match.

Seriously... Calling for a nerf on the 'Boom'phract?!?!

LOLs... Try piloting one, you'll understand the 'weaknesses' of that particular design REAL quick.

#49 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I knew this OP complaint was going to happen as soon as people switched from ACs... to you OP complainers who just go from one weapon to the next as soon as its been nerfed ..I..

I even made a troll thread about gauss being OP and told people this would happen. You people are so predictable its stupid.

#50 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

I don't remember the last time I saw someone run one of these builds in a battle. That could be my elo or because I don't play that much. But it doesn't seem like that much of a threat. I think at best, if it really became strong, you could maybe up the charge time for each additional Gauss you add to a mech. That makes more sense.

#51 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostTezcatli, on 23 April 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

I don't remember the last time I saw someone run one of these builds in a battle. That could be my elo or because I don't play that much. But it doesn't seem like that much of a threat. I think at best, if it really became strong, you could maybe up the charge time for each additional Gauss you add to a mech. That makes more sense.
Last night I had one or two drops with people in 'Boom'phracts.

They were on my side, but I still out performed with them my dual gauss Jaeger.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostSolahma, on 23 April 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

Pretty good example of a typical 3-gauss game from another player

Notice how his armor gets stripped extremely fast? If more mechs had looked his way, he would have been neutralized quickly. Ignoring this build will be your death, but as Faith said "sneeze in it's general direction, and watch it explode" couldn't be more true.

I will ask this, " Why should a player feel bad or be penalized for bringing a platform that does the job it is intended for? We are here to kill each other... Why must it be with kindness and not efficiency?

Anyone that has dropped with me has read no complaints about my dying to any combination of weapons... and can confirm I am quite light hearted about it.

#53 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Anyone that has dropped with me has read no complaints about my dying to any combination of weapons... and can confirm I am quite light hearted about it.
I hate dying. I'm the worst loser.

But that comes from my point of view:

Being a "good loser" is like being a "good masturbator": It's not something you should really be proud of.

#54 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 23 April 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

I hate dying. I'm the worst loser.

But that comes from my point of view:

Being a "good loser" is like being a "good masturbator": It's not something you should really be proud of.

Good Sportsmanship is something thing we shouldn't be proud of? :)

#55 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Good Sportsmanship is something thing we shouldn't be proud of? :)
I play to win. Winning is fun. Losing is not.

My "good sportsmanship" is as follows:

1. I lose, fair and square: I walk away and not say anything, and get ready for the next game.
2. I win, fair and square: I walk away and not say anything, and get ready for the next game.

This BS, "gg close", crap is annoying at best, and extremely BAD taste at worst. So many idiots on the winning side, on a 12v0 ending posting "gg close" (you jerks know who you are) ARE NOT being good sports.

#56 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 23 April 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

I play to win. Winning is fun. Losing is not.

My "good sportsmanship" is as follows:

1. I lose, fair and square: I walk away and not say anything, and get ready for the next game.
2. I win, fair and square: I walk away and not say anything, and get ready for the next game.

This BS, "gg close", crap is annoying at best, and extremely BAD taste at worst. So many idiots on the winning side, on a 12v0 ending posting "gg close" (you jerks know who you are) ARE NOT being good sports.

I play to Win
Winning is funner than losing.Losing when on Comms can be fun if your friends are nutz/drunk enough!

I type slow, so at the end of the game most players are off before I can type good game.

I agree GG/Close when a game isn't... does not FEEL truly sporting.

So we are similar but not quite on the same page. :) ;)

#57 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Losing when on Comms can be fun if your friends are nutz/drunk enough!
Ok, you got me on that one. When drunk, losing can be fun...

#58 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Honestly, I like to win just like anyone, but I don't mind loosing so much if the game was a good one.

The only time I get upset is when I do something stupid and get taken out right away, or we get steamrolled fast. Worse yet, there is always that guy on your team that blames the rest of his team in general chat for being crappy.

Whether we play well or not, I never take it out in chat on my team. I keep it to myself when I curse their performance :)

#59 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 23 April 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Honestly, I like to win just like anyone, but I don't mind loosing so much if the game was a good one.

The only time I get upset is when I do something stupid and get taken out right away, or we get steamrolled fast. Worse yet, there is always that guy on your team that blames the rest of his team in general chat for being crappy.

Whether we play well or not, I never take it out in chat on my team. I keep it to myself when I curse their performance :)
I mind it less when the team was making an obvious effort and were working as a team.

I get quite irate when you have the 'Nuvo-Napoleon' raging against everyone who wasn't functioning as his personal meat shield, or, the Rambozos who rush off to try and kill 12 'mechs all by themselves, regardless of what it does to the rest of the team, or the DERPS who somehow can't seem to avoid shooting team members every other shot, or the slow learners who don't understand that some weapons have a minimum ranges, or that ALL weapons have an absolute MAX range, or the people who absolutely REFUSE to press "R" to target the 'mech they're aiming at, OR, the people who apparently lack the ability to aim at the great big RED spots on the enemy but instead "spray and pray", or the chronic disco's from the "I don't wanna play this map" crowd...

Yeah I know that's a long list, trust me, it's even longer... So yeah, nearly every losing match (and even most winning matches) I get to experience some irritation at the PUGs.

That's why I enjoy grouping so much more than pugging, there's a potential 3 less idiots when you drop with a pre-made.

#60 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

What's a Guass Rifle?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users