64 replies to this topic

#21 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostDrop N F Bombs, on 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash.

The Jenner is a great mech if -and only if :

- You put an XL engine (XL280 is enough imo) and DHS all over
- Max out the armor : especially the legs and the front CT (you can leave the back CT to 6 or 7 only)
- You unlock all basic peeks
- You target primarily fat heavies & Assaults (avoid medium & light mechs as much as possible)
- You like very dynamic play-style (you are not supposed to stop often)
- You keep an eye on the mini map, looking for mechs on their own

It even become an really awesome mech when you have all the elite peeks.

With this, you can have 1 to 3 kills almost every game, and be one of the top 5 damage dealers of your team. Just a J O Y to ride !

Now again if you like slow mechs, big guns or sniping, then the Jenner is not for you.

I can show you how to play it, add me as a friend and shoot me a message when I am on. I will show you.

#22 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

The Jenner is beastly. It's fast, tough, and with a whole bunch of firepower, with JJs and a low profile to boot. If you don't know how to handle heat on an overgunned light such as the Jenner, try running multiple trigger groups (one per arm and one for the missiles for the D and K, or one per arm for the F). Firestarters suffer from the same set of problems and have many of the same advantages, but between the two light platforms there is one major difference: hitboxes.

Jenner's have a huge front CT and rarely take hits elsewhere, though like all lights people tend to aim for the legs. Firestarters have great hitboxes with shield arms, but tend to lose firepower as they shed their arms. They also tend to lose their legs a bit faster than Jenners do. Either way you need to learn how to twist to spread damage as much as possible. You also need to learn to fire while maneuvering at full throttle. While doing all that, pay attention to your heat. If you're too hot, disengage and cool off before rejoining the fight.

#23 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Try this. It made my time in it tolerable, and somewhat functional.

2 LRM5s 3 tons ammo
3 ML
1 TAG
4 JJ

I think it's the XL295 that will get you up and over 128/140kph which is a grand thing.

You can spot, have a variety of ranges to engage with for irritant level LRMs, so save them for targets isolated and without AMS, or late game. Stay out of sight as much as possible save to spot, cap or just do 'drive by' attacks.

In any case, it's a fun loadout to play with.

Edited by Kjudoon, 21 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#24 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash. It does no damage, over heats almost immediately, and cannot take a hit. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to chase new players away from the game with these lies but I'm pretty much on my way out. You win.

Nice vent, OP.

Yes, the Jenner sucks in its default configuration ... JUST LIKE ALL 'MECHS DO.

When fully customized, it is quite deadly for a light. There are only a few builds that a good Jenner pilot need fear. The rest are valid targets.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 21 April 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#25 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Looking at the OP's pilot name I'm not really surprised about his attitude....

#26 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash. It does no damage, over heats almost immediately, and cannot take a hit. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to chase new players away from the game with these lies but I'm pretty much on my way out. You win.

If you could only see how much facepalm I am facepalming at this very moment... refer to Mech Tier list by MavRCK: http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/
You should ask "why?" a bit more and you might get somewhere...

#27 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

If it's the trial Jenner you're talking about, that build is good even if it's not what I consider optimised. If you're overheating in that, you need to learn heat management. It has very good heat efficiency for a mech that runs pure energy. The only weakness is too little armor front CT. It has to pick its fights more carefully.

If you're talking about your own Jenner, post your build including armor distribution. And we'll see what the issue is

Edited by knightsljx, 22 April 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#28 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

as an Atlas Pilot, I've been torn apart by Pro Jenner Pilots since they pick the best time where i can't focus fire on them and when I do they've torn my back armor down to the point that I'm panicking to get a shot in and fail to do so...

Any mech in this game can do what it's designed to do if the Pilot is able to make it happen.

#29 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

OP needs to understand that stock 'Mechs suck.

Pretty much universally. They need mods, starting with double heat sinks and working up from there. That being said, it's one of the best light chassis to build up from, along with the Firestarter- one's got missiles and is Streak-friendly, the other can pack MG's or other ballistics (if you're feeling silly). So, wherever he is...you have a gem in the rough, it just takes practice and upgrades...like every other 'Mech you'll buy in the game.

If they'd been trolling you, we'd be consoling you for buying a Locust.

#30 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

The jenner is considered the top nonecm light in the game by most top players. I recommend ecm lights to beginners.

#31 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Sorry you feel that way Drop. The Jenner doesn't suck. It's just not the right Mech for you (or me). :(

#32 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hmm, well I would like to help you out if possible.

How many Jenners do you have?
Have you unlocked basic skills for all 3?
Have you elited them?
All your mechs should have Double Heat Sinks before you even try to play the mech! (this is important!)

You see, while mechs in this game give a potential "advantage" in the end most mechs are all good/bad. The build is a huge factor, they playstyle as well. If you are the first mech to battle and you stand still even for a bit you will be blasted apart in seconds. Light mechs are a double edged sword no matter what anyone tells you about being OP.

If you can last all match in a light you are improving, collecting 8-12 assists is also great for the team. Kills will come once you learn to pilot like a light mech. Use the speed/agility/jumpjets to your advantage.

Last but not least don't expect to be great at this game instantly, some of the people you are playing against have 10,000 or more matches of experience (I'm around 6000). It will take you 300 matches just to master your Jenners, at that point you will start to notice your skills have improved.

Around 1000 matches in you will likely be having 5-6 kill matches and be really enjoying ANY mech you play.

All good things in life are worth waiting for, be patient and remember that NO ONE wins every match in this game. 50/50 is normal for most players.

Edit; One thing about Jenners is they suffer from giant center torso (like the catapult). So generally you don't want your approach to the enemy to be head on, that is just asking to be cored. Be a ninja!

Edited by Amsro, 22 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#33 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Sounds like OP needs to learn to play.

No, seriously - playing light mechs takes a very different approach, than playing mediums or heavies. Ask yourself a few questions here:

1. what loadout were you using? The two loadouts that make Jenny a top dog is a 6laser Jenner F (a mix of medium/small lasers, typically 3/3 or some such), and JennyD with 2 streak2s, BAP and lasers (usually 4ML, though i use 3ML1SL myself). We don't talk about the JR7-K. Endo steel (1.5 tons of extra space) and double heatsinks (40% better dissipation right off the bat) go without saying. An XL engine, though expensive, is also good, since a Jenny is more likely to get cored than lose a side torso, and the times when you might have limped away with half your mech missing if you didn't have an XL engine are few and far between.

2. How did you play it? Trying to go in a circle jerk with a heavy, and relying only on your speed and his bad aim to keep you alive is not a good plan. Boom&Zoom - a dogfighting tactic nearly 100 years old (developed during WW1) is a much better plan.

That said, the Jenny IS one of the best, if not THE best light mech currently in the game, and one of the better mechs overall - no one lied to you. Either they weren't overly specific on how you should configure your mech, or you were expecting a total blowout for having a "best mech".

#34 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

It is a evil, evil, evil little machine that has killed me waaaaaaay to often.

It's profile is frustratingly low and tiny, and the constant quad burn is painful.

#35 Djinnetic

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

I tend to have success with my Jenner. It's definitely not the easiest thing to pilot but once you figure out your role, it's much easier to get kills and do good damage.

Also having an expensive xl engine and all the elite skills makes a huge difference.

Here some friends and I drop in lights. Me and Sasquatch are running the same 6xSPLas build.

#36 CG Chicken Kn

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image

Yes Jenners are not exactly new player friendly. Perhaps he confused "good first mech" with "great first light".

Because Jenners rock. Just not the unstoppable beasts they were before host state rewind etc.

Full on stock Jenner tho without upgrades is.. not so great.. ;)

Edited by CG Chicken Kn, 22 April 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#37 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostKaptain, on 21 April 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

I LOVE my founders jenner with 2xSSRM2 and 4xML + 300XL, FF, ES, DHS. I think I have an extra 200,000 experience on it above master + a 1.58 kill to death ratio.

Simply put, not trash.

OP:

This is the typical JR7-D loadout. Takes some C-Bills to get there, obviously. Like strikes/modules? Lose a missile slot in the JR7-K and gain a module slot. Don't like missiles? Go JR7-F/F(C) for two extra laser hard points.

Wanna do something different? Go a little slower and toss in an ERLL. Or get the Oxide hero mech, and go missile boating.

JR7 is a great LIGHT chassis. There are very few heat-neutral light mech builds that are worthwhile, so you're gonna have to live with that.

#38 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hmmmm, Drop N F Bombs join date March 17th, 2012. Posts to date, 5. Number of posts available, only the one posted here starting this as OP. All others, removed/moderated. Troll? I leave you to decide.

#39 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

It's not a lie - the Jenner is a very good light mech.

However, light mechs are hard to play for new players. Most should probably stick to Mediums or Heavies, IMHO.

#40 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

The Jenner may not be the best but it is one of the best. There are about 3 types of light mechs commonly seen. You have your scavengers with machine guns that look for weakened enemies to abuse. You have ECM lights with ER weapons. And then you have the predators that hunt the other two types.

The Jenner is the third type. When I piloted my Jenner the only thing I was really worried about was running into two enemy Jenners.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users