The Jenner - My Feedback As A New Player

64 replies to this topic

#61 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Learn the full mechanics of the game and take some of this advice from the myriad of players who've offered it up and LEARN the game before ya come in here acting like a jackwagon. It will work better for you, promise.

#62 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostLukoi, on 22 April 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Learn the full mechanics of the game and take some of this advice from the myriad of players who've offered it up and LEARN the game before ya come in here acting like a jackwagon. It will work better for you, promise.

Sorry mate, but I hardly think he was acting like a jackwagon. He took the time to post his thread about his concerns/experience and he got some great feedback, there really is no call to be abusive.

#63 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Heh. The mods did a ninja title edit.

#64 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostDrop N F Bombs, on 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash. It does no damage, over heats almost immediately, and cannot take a hit. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to chase new players away from the game with these lies but I'm pretty much on my way out. You win.

As a primarily Jenner player I understand your sentiments. Unfortunately you are doing it wrong. The Jenner is a scout mech, it is not intended to take a heat, or do lots of damage. It is intended to scout, distract the enemy, and sneak attack things.

In a match with a decent team I get about 2 kills and about 500 damage. However, getting to this point has taken lots of practice. You have to learn a lot of things:
-Use terrain to your advantage, never go out in the open where someone can take pop shots at you
-If you MUST go out in the open, do not travel in a straight line, a jenner who zigzags and jerks sideways randomly is much harder to hit
-Never stop moving, except in the rarest of instances. Stopping in a scout mech = death
-Watch your heat, if you're overheating don't shoot anymore until you've cooled down. There are some rare instances where pressing O (override auto-shutdown), may pay off, but usually it doesn't.
-Focus your fire on weak areas, the best place is to attack most enemies are either their legs, center torso or center-rear torso.
-If you're being targeted by lrms, seek cover, and power down to encourage them to lose interest, they'll soon pick an easier target.
-Use your jump jets wisely, using them to travel high in the air is usually a bad idea. Instead use them to jump just barely over the head of enemy mechs, pivot turn, and as a boost to go up hills, or slingshot around corners.
-Avoid enemies with superior numbers. 2 Enemies vs 1 Jenner isn't worth it, evacuate the situation and find back up.
-It is okay to bounce from target to target if it keeps you safe, you'll get lots of assists and lots of damage, but not very many kills.
-Jenners work great as a cleanup special. After your teammates have done some initial long distance pounding on the heavier mechs, swoop in and finish them.
-Harass mechs from behind as often as possible
-Don't be too eager to get ahead of your team, doing so will mean you'll be the first mech targeted and their entire team will be after you.

View PostRouken, on 22 April 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

The Jenner is the third type. When I piloted my Jenner the only thing I was really worried about was running into two enemy Jenners.

I hate that. Jenners are only allowed on my team. :/

Edited by Darth Futuza, 22 April 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#65 D U S T Y

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

A couple of my favorite pug matches in the Jenner. First one we started down 1 and two others had 0 damage. In the second, not only does the red team have zero light mechs, but the map is terra therma.

The Jenner doesn't have a backpack big enough.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by D U S T Y, 22 April 2014 - 10:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users