- - - - -

The Jenner - My Feedback As A New Player

64 replies to this topic

#1 Drop N F Bombs

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash. It does no damage, over heats almost immediately, and cannot take a hit. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to chase new players away from the game with these lies but I'm pretty much on my way out. You win.

Edited by miSs, 22 April 2014 - 05:12 PM.
title edit

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

I am hardly a fan of that mech, but it is, in a one-on-one fight, with equal pilots, easily a match for any of the other lights except maybe a Firestarter.

Having said that, they are not easy to play, but that is more the fact that light mechs are not easy to play for most people...

#3 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Perhaps lights aren't for you. They do take a lot of skill. Cooperating with other lights can cause a lot of chaos in an enemy formation. More than once I have seen a pack of Jenners come around a corner and think "Oh s*** Jenners from hell," and I promptly ran in the opposite direction.

Speed is life with lights. Keep in mind that you can't pull a Leeroy Jenkins with them, as you can't with most mechs (maybe with ECM you can). A Jenner can probably 1v1 an assault and win if you never stop moving. 2 is a problem. 3 is a suicide run.

Spectate other lights mechs to see how they do it, too.

Also, are you speaking about the trial Jenner? It looks pretty close to optimal to me.

Edited by ThatBum42, 21 April 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#4 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

It is 35 tons so it has the highest health and armour of any light mech, it has hardpoints second only to the Firestarter but has variants that can carry streaks, it has jumpjets for mobility and can run along at 150kmph...

The Firestarter suffers space issues, has hot loadouts and reduced acceleration, the spider has no firepower, the commando while fast is so light it doesn't have much health or firepower and the locust is the lolcust.

If people were trolling you they would suggest any light that isn't the Jenner.

Edited by CheeseThief, 21 April 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#5 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

View PostDrop N F Bombs, on 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

When I was looking for a good first mech the Jenner was mentioned over and over. It is pure trash. It does no damage, over heats almost immediately, and cannot take a hit. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to chase new players away from the game with these lies but I'm pretty much on my way out. You win.

No one lied to you. They become extremely good 'Mechs with a bit of skill and, significantly, upgrades.
You need to -

1 - up armor them.
2 - drop in double heat-sinks.
3 - equip a large XL-engine so they're mobile. 300 XL is your norm.
4 - Upgrade with endo and ferro.
5 - master them. Skills are really far more of a thing then they probably should be in MWO. Getting skills to elite will double your cool run skill.

addendum : Understand that a Jenner is not a brawler. It's a slasher. You run in, dump lasers on an enemy's back and then run out. Preferably with a pack of other light 'Mechs.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 21 April 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#6 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

I personally wouldn't call it trash, just not exactly the best starting point for a beginner. As already mentioned, lights take some skill to pilot due to their weak armor, and their higher-than-normal speed is their biggest defensive asset.
Of course, I can't speak from personal experience when vouching for this Jenner's capabilities, but it is definitely not useless. :)

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

You just sound like you need a bigger mech.

Try picking up a Cataphract 3D or a Jager.

The jenner is far from trash, but it may not be the best mech for you to learn the game in. You sound like you want something with more punch.

Edited by Roughneck45, 21 April 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#8 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Maybe try something else? I've got a jenner..can't pilot it to save my life (50dmg-0kills probably average) but I've seen other people butcher stuff with them.

Takes time to be any good with lights, they're twitchy as hell compared to bigger mechs.

#9 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I started with Jenners and good grief, it was a long hard slog to get just past the basics. After playing all this time, my opinion is that the 2 worse classes for a new player to start in are lights and assaults. The first requires good reflexes, really good reflexes and the latter needs a chess player's mindset (i.e. plans 2 steps ahead with all likely permutations).

However, like most things in life, YMMV. My son loves playing the Firestarter right off the bat without any loadout modifications or any of the basics and didn't do so well with the Trebuchet & free Cent.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 21 April 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostDrop N F Bombs, on 21 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

Taking hits and dealing damage.
1) Jenner <-typical build.
2) Jenner <-Slower than dirt, XL engine, sharp-shooter version.

What you have is probably a standard engine Jenner with single heatsinks. One of the many reasons I don't personally recommend light mechs is the requirement of XL engines and DHS and Endo Steel (easily making it more expensive than most medium mechs) and the fact that many new players lack knowledge of game mechanics necessary to make lights worth something.

Here's a strategy that'll work with any light mech. Demonstrated in video. Yes he starts against a disconnect/afk, but then he goes on to single handedly take down Atlases, and then more Atlases while dodging fire from Victors.

Now, as for not doing damage... it doesn't matter what mech you have, all weapons do the same damage. This leaves the question of how you are using the weapons.

Example: If you are using lasers, they are NOT effective if you just 'graze' the enemy. Think of them as a magnifying glass and your targets are ants. Really...freaking...large...ants. Will just shining sunlight on them kill the ants? No. You need to focus the beam and give it some time to simmer.

If you are using missiles, what kind? For example LRMs work best after you press R (to target) and then hover the crosshair onto them. You'll hear some noises, a big red circle will appear, and now your LRMs when fired will chase them so long as you maintain that lock.

On the topic of LRMs, this video is of an old design that worked fairly well back then. It works a LOT better now as they fire faster, fly faster, and it'll be even better for you generally as a newer player your enemies won't really know how to protect themselves. Though only use small pulse lasers if your luck with medium lasers is terrible (I like them because it's like click, blink, damage dealt. No 'omagerd I gotta focus the beams' stuff there. Just gotta be up close).

Also, are the weapons on the bottom right green, yellow, or black when you shoot? When green, you do a LOT more damage than when yellow. At black your weapons will do Zero damage.

A minor tip as well. On this link is a non-existent build. Forget about the fact that nothing is on it, look at the armor placement. Replicate that and you'll live a LOT longer. Just don't hold still in front of enemies (but that's a given, right?).

Edited by Koniving, 21 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#11 Cybersniper Vickers

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I've seen many light pilots in Jenners, Spiders, etc. do insane amounts of damage.
Win games for their team, drop the biggest mechs, and all of that.
The only trash was the trail of dead mechs they left behind. :)

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Anyway... There was this video in a trial Cataphract 4X. In it, with the help of some others I take on things like a 6 PPC Stalker and a Jenner that 5 or 6 against 1 takes out 2 or 3 guys.

Quite a pilot.

However that requires an XL 300 engine which is about 3 times more expensive than the mech itself, double heatsinks, endo-steel structure, ferro armor, a lot of heatsinks, good heat management, and good fire control and velocity variability.

Now, had I seen the OP's request for a starting mech I would've said Orion. More armor than a Cataphract, good speed, runs great on a standard engine, carries an Atlas-style assortment of weapons and damn cheap.

#13 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

I LOVE my founders jenner with 2xSSRM2 and 4xML + 300XL, FF, ES, DHS. I think I have an extra 200,000 experience on it above master + a 1.58 kill to death ratio.

Simply put, not trash.

#14 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

He logged out right after his tantrum post. Chances are he's not interested in help and was just venting.

If there was a tutorial in the game explaining things like this he might not have taken the proverbial pratfall over every newbie trap in MWO. Then again, someone who has this kind of reaction to a challenge is likely better off playing a less difficult game. There are people who don't enjoy challenging things, so there's no reason for them to stick it out in a challenging game. If it's not fun for them, they won't make it fun for others who play with them and they won't make it challenging for people who play against them.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 21 April 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

I certainly would not call it lying.. But that said, Every light to me is a great mech in the right hands.. the question is, is that mech in your hands right?

I know that 6ML jenner i run into all the time is a beast to fight with, no mater what mech i am in. If you add in a partner, like a damn spider.. and you can count yourself toast..

Personally i am trying out ravens as my first light mech.. and let's just say, i am not the best light pilot for the time being.. then again, more than a few mechs i have issues with. But odd think, i do very well in an HBK, which is suppose to be a harder mech to play

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostOsric Lancaster, on 21 April 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

He logged out right after his tantrum post. Chances are he's not interested in help and was just venting.

If there was a tutorial in the game explaining things like this he might not have taken the proverbial pratfall over every newbie trap in MWO. Then again, someone who has this kind of reaction to a challenge is likely better off playing a less difficult game. There are people who don't enjoy challenging things, so there's no reason for them to stick it out in a challenging game. If it's not fun for them, they won't make it fun for others who play with them and they won't make it challenging for people who play against them.

I certainly don't envy the moderators over at IGP come the end of the holiday. :)

While I agree with you that the game needs more tutorials, I have yet to play one that covered even half the "newbie traps" that any of the MW games have had (because even the tutorials in the other games fell well short of covering all of them)

Add to that the fact that a lot of the traps are, at best, temporary (IE buy this mech, not that one)....
And I rather doubt M$oft would let IGP or PGI make an even semi-decent tutorial....

#17 Rahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBlaine Washington

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Jenners do fine just need time in them, and you can do great damage with them and have fun

#18 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

The internet hates me nevermind.

Edited by Skye Storm, 21 April 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostSkye Storm, on 21 April 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

The internet hates me nevermind.

The internet hates everybody - don't let it get to ya. :)

#20 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

As lights go the Jenner is a fantastic knife fighter. If you are struggling with heat management or its light mech fragility I would posit you are ot ready for the combination of speed, mobility and risk that comes with it.

As for your general piss poor attitude as you come to this forums ranting about someone sold you some snake oil when undoubtedly its you that have failed to master the nuances of a mech fairly well regarded by most players who understand the game (seriously you are complaining it overheats??? Thats 100% YOU - not the mech design), I happily invite you to fuckoff and indeed leave the game.

While I hate to see the game lose players I would definitely prefer someone with your attitude and finger pointing stance gone as that type of player is typically a cancer to a gaming community.

The Jenner is an effective mech, arguably just as capable in the close fight as the FS9 (who will also overheat if played poorly on most variants). You are apparently just not cut out for it. Dont blame the build for your lack of understanding or willingess to learn how it works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users