Kdr Protecting And Running Out Of Bounds

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Suicide / Running out of Bounds (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Should mechs receive more stern punishment for suicide / running out of bounds?

1. Yes, serverely (29 votes [29.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.00%

2. Yes, somewhat (19 votes [19.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.00%

3. No (52 votes [52.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

Personally, I think overheating in combat should be incentivized instead of punished.

Under the following conditions, you should get a 'Berserker' bonus of 20,000 C-bills and 150 XP:

More than T+ 3 minutes elapsed time
More enemy combatants alive than friendly combatants
Heat level above 70%
Auto-Shutdown Override engaged
Engaged in combat
Damaging an enemy target

Furthermore, when all of these conditions are true, you should receive a "Frenzy" bonus, quadrupling the C-bills and XP gained from kills, kill assists, damage, and destroyed components, as well as quadruple rewards from Hit-and-Run bonuses.

If you die while all of these conditions are also true, either from self-inflicted overheat damage or enemy fire, you should receive an additional "Blaze of Glory" bonus, of 5,000 C-bills.

Fighting viciously against all odds should be heavily incentivized, and enemy combatants should be VERY much afraid of a combatant with nothing left to lose.

#22 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 10 November 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

As someone who has been the last guy alive in a mach, grossly out gunned and nearly crippled, I wish there was a surrender mechanic. However, the kill-hungry would probably just grief kill you anyway. There is little honor with the current rewards where kills are king.

I can attest to this situation and admittedly made a poor decision (poor sportsmanship) in my Cent where I wasn't cored, out of ammo and was the last man standing. I powered down in a corner and waited the time to expire. I wish there was a surrender button but next time it comes to that I'll just power down and let them kill me since there isn't a "I surrender" / retreat option.

Edited by GenAce2010, 14 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#23 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

No.... No, no, no, no.

As previous people have stated, I get into overwhelming odds, I'm slapping that override button to deal as much damage as possible before my imminent death. Some mechs I ride the heat scale a little close, and cookoff ammo and die... This should absolutely NOT be punished.

Out of bounds? Also no. There are a number of maps, most notoriously Grim Portico, where the boundaries are ill defined, and it is incredibly easy durring a firefight to wind up out of bounds, and dead.

A surrender option, or specific retreat zones sound like a good idea, however.

#24 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

Dying from overheating in battle is on of the most honorable ways to die, why it should be punished?

#25 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostDuctus Hase, on 11 November 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Vote NO! Leaving the map: Denying the enemy salvage and preserving resources to fight another day is valid roleplay. Overheating: Suicide - Denying the enemy salvage in this way might be desperate - but permanent. Battle - Driving your mech to the limit has risks. Damage and Death are punishment enough. Last Stand - The one who has nothing to lose can go REALLY hot... see below. Hiding: There might be the opportunity for an ambush - valid. Go figure. I say, if you haven´t got the brains to press "o" when you stand and fight and take it like a man, then you need to learn playing this game. Overheating while making your last stand is for the greatest of noobies. :P

I'm referring to running out of bounds or running away to hide and overheat in a corner where there is no fighting. Overheating during combat is fine, but simply taking the coward's way out and not even trying is pathetic. I have zero respect for someone who runs out of bounds; he stunts his team's chances of winning and, during Challenges, costs his teammates much needed points for prizes. I've seen players who could have won a match or at least earned another Challenge point for themselves and their teammates run out of bounds and kill themselves simply because they wanted to take a shortcut and not make the effort.

If you're not going to play the game, you need to get out of it, and running out of bounds definitely does not qualify as playing in my book. I would rather see someone string out a match for five extra minutes by fighting guerrilla style and giving it his all, rather than see him throw away the efforts of everyone on the team by running out of bounds inside of ten seconds.

Edit: For everyone freaking out about overheating in combat, the OP is targeting intentional suicides where pilots do not even attempt to fight.

Edited by Nightmare1, 15 April 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#26 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostBulvar Jorgensson, on 11 November 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Solve the problem Get rid o the statistic, make it just a damage done to damage sustained ratio......then all those KDR protectors have to actually do damage in a game to get a positive score...
Actualy the problem orginate not from K/D or other stats

THE REAL PROBLEM IS THAT YOU GET BACK YOUR MECH EARLIER IF THE GAME IS FINISHED EARLIER !

Just reintroduce a R&R time with a total of at least 45 minutes after a battle has started and NOONE has any reason anymore to complain about anyone playing until time is running out !

Edited by M E X, 15 April 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#27 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostM E X, on 15 April 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Actualy the problem orginate not from K/D or other stats

THE REAL PROBLEM IS THAT YOU GET BACK YOUR MECH EARLIER IF THE GAME IS FINISHED EARLIER !

Just reintroduce a R&R time with a total of at least 45 minutes after a battle has started and NOONE has any reason anymore to complain about anyone playing until time is running out !

so you solve the problem by making it worse ...

seriously - if the last member of the enemie team decides to overheat until he/she blows up or runs out of bounds - I don't really care.

What I do care is trolls which can't admit defeat and thus want to punish everyone else by forcing them to stay in the match altough it allready over - those people should be punished severly - buy cutting exp/cbills down by 50% for every minute they survive after becoming the last surviving player without doing damage to the enemie. If its more than 2 minutes it should automatically end the match by blowing up the last survivor.

Exceptions should only be made in assault/conquest or in case that both teams have taken heavy losses (if its 2 vs, 1 in the end that last player might still have a chance to win and has the right to take that chance of course, its its 12 vs. 1 not so much)

#28 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

Just remove stats for K/D, they dont say much about you as a player anyways...
Having a high K/D, perhaps you're the one with decent alphas hiding behind orhers just popping out to claim the kill, walking between making your friendlies unable to shoot...

#29 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

Running out of bounds I can agree with but I alike many others, when death is knocking, will hit that override key and go for gold. I've also had one or two mishaps with my Summoner and jump jets.

#30 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

Yes, for the simple reason that it will strongly discourage these people from ruining matches.

I'd prefer to have it conditionally, or maybe to allow more time out of bounds in case it is an accident though.

#31 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Need an option to pull the core.

If you have to die take off and nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

#32 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I don't know, only time I ever overheat to the point that I go "BOOM" is when I am outnumbered and going to die I want to try and deal as much damage as I can before I go.

though that is really rare for me as all of my mechs are extremely cool running.

as to others I have talked to new players or others that are just flat out annoyed to the point of getting angry because they are getting torn apart by enemies clearly outside of visual range of both player and machine that they just lose their 'cool' and fire everything at the point they think they are getting attacked from to the point they explode.

so to me I think it is a tough call as every time is a different reason or another as you cannot just paint the whole thing with a large brush.

as to the running off the map thing, I have run off the map a few times, however that was because I was ether A: being chased by a faster machine and looking for a place to turn around and face the pest or wasn't really watching the map.

as to others whom knows, just cannot think everyone is doing it just to annoy you or others.

#33 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 17 April 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

so you solve the problem by making it worse ...

seriously - if the last member of the enemie team decides to overheat until he/she blows up or runs out of bounds - I don't really care.

What I do care is trolls which can't admit defeat and thus want to punish everyone else by forcing them to stay in the match altough it allready over - those people should be punished severly - buy cutting exp/cbills down by 50% for every minute they survive after becoming the last surviving player without doing damage to the enemie. If its more than 2 minutes it should automatically end the match by blowing up the last survivor.

Exceptions should only be made in assault/conquest or in case that both teams have taken heavy losses (if its 2 vs, 1 in the end that last player might still have a chance to win and has the right to take that chance of course, its its 12 vs. 1 not so much)

I have been the last one alive vs three several times and four once and pulled out the win... Raven 3l, running and sniping...

So what you are suggesting is as bad as the players that say "Go fight" or "Go die"....

I have also been the last alive (a lot) when there are five or more and there is simply no chance, so if near a map edge, good bye! if not I'll hit over ride and try to take one with me.

So this TROLL will continue to fight while you apparently continue to call for me to go die...

p.s. the red lines under the words means check the spelling.

#34 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

View PostVixNix, on 26 July 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

So this TROLL will continue to fight while you apparently continue to call for me to go die...

you are jumping on a false conclusion ...

I never said I have a problem with people who kill themself if they are the last one alive and don't stand any chance of winning. Also, I would not have a problem if the last one alive keeps on fighting. However - I consider people who don't shot the enemie and just run and hide trolls (guess why I suggested to cut down Cbills/exp if they don't do damage within a minute, seriously thats a long time in a match). Therefore - yes if you just run and hide - I would consider you beeing a troll - happy now?

#35 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 26 July 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

you are jumping on a false conclusion ...

I never said I have a problem with people who kill themself if they are the last one alive and don't stand any chance of winning. Also, I would not have a problem if the last one alive keeps on fighting. However - I consider people who don't shot the enemie and just run and hide trolls (guess why I suggested to cut down Cbills/exp if they don't do damage within a minute, seriously thats a long time in a match). Therefore - yes if you just run and hide - I would consider you beeing a troll - happy now?

No I don't think so.

if there are two or more mechs and you are in a light you have to be careful or you will die, so a minute may seem like a long time but getting to range and moving constantly is needed to be able to pull off the win.

Thank you for trying to clarify though.

#36 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

why do you even bump this crap? the original poster doesn't even know that suicide counts as death anyway and it's he who is the one caring of his kda which those deniers refuse to pump for him

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 July 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#37 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

In my opinion, strictly no. But I do think an alternative would be acceptable.

If your self-kill rate exceeds a certain amount, you get a temporary in-game title placed under your name that reflects your propensity to suicide and you forfeit a percentage of your match earnings equal to your suicide rate per match whenever you do suicide.

For instance, if you suicide 4 in 10 matches, your suicide rate is 0.4, and whenever you suicide you forfeit 40% of your earnings. If you only suicide 1 in 25 matches, your suicide rate is too low and you never receive any penalties.

#38 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostVixNix, on 22 September 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

I say no.

I have seen mechs with Jump jets suicide
I have seen them run out of bounds
I have seen them hide and shut down

All of these have robbed me of kills but I still say no.

The reason is that while some people are doing it on purpose, there is no way to 100% tell that is the case, did they make a mistake or not... so no.

There is a way..... Public Name and shame stats.

We can have a weekly top 50.
  • Top Out of Bounds Death ! - Title 'Top Coward? #1-10'
  • Top Overheat Death ! - Title 'Very Well Done #1-10'
  • Top Fall Damage Death ! - Title 'Fall Guy #1-10'
  • Top Collision Damage Death ! - Title 'Worst Driver #1-10'
  • Top MASC Death ! - Title 'Weak Myomers #1-10'
  • Top ARTY/STRIKE Death ! - Title 'STRIKE! #1-10'

Is there other ways to kill yourself ?
Anyway... Do it too often from the average and that means you are doing on purpose.
Stats won't lie...

Edit:

They can be awarded special prizes too... Like automatically Title changes (They can no longer change it on their own) for the week or month to their highest earned self killed title.

Edit: Updated with input and more flair.

Edited by ShinVector, 27 July 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#39 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostShinVector, on 27 July 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Is there other ways to kill yourself ?

MASC. Self-arty/airstrike.

... I wonder if it's possible to LRM or streak yourself...

#40 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostTarogato, on 27 July 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

MASC. Self-arty/airstrike.

... I wonder if it's possible to LRM or streak yourself...

I think self missile kill is no longer possible when they took out splash damage totally.
It the past when you faced hugged mechs and walls, you damaged yourself with the splash... Doesn't happen now...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users