Kdr Protecting And Running Out Of Bounds

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Suicide / Running out of Bounds (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Should mechs receive more stern punishment for suicide / running out of bounds?

1. Yes, serverely (29 votes [29.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.00%

2. Yes, somewhat (19 votes [19.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.00%

3. No (52 votes [52.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

Take me down to the Necro City
Where the threads are old and the Mechs are pretty
Oh won't you please take me home, yeah yeah.

View PostTarogato, on 27 July 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

or streak yourself...

You take off your clothes and then...... :ph34r:

#42 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

I say no.
When repair costs are put back into the game, and they will be, staying alive and not losing your mech will be very important.
Some maps you can hide on, others you can not.
Should PGI see fit to give us the ability to know the map we are playing on before we select our mech - as they damn well should! Then we can get into some really interesting tactics!

#43 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostFiaura The Tank Girl, on 21 April 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

... Furthermore, you are punishing the entirety of your team by making them wait up to 10 minutes on average for their mechs to be unlocked so they can continue to use them in another match. This is clearly bad sportmanship and should be shown to be such as much as possible.

I agree with a lot you had said in your post, however the quoted part is where I disagree. There are times it is necessary to be defensive and disengage such as 3v1 on Conquest with four friendly caps. The Lone mech needs to hide to possibly ensure the win by Objective on points. So it is NOTclearly at all poor sportsmanship, rather a lack of maturity and a lot of impatience on your part and others like you. You see, you had your mech and you died. You got to play the way you wanted. Let those still alive play the way they want. Stop trying to control others simply because you do not want to exit the match and grab another mech.

I buy mechs in triplets, it is easy if I become impatient to grab one of the other three mechs I am skilling up to start a new match if I become impatient. I am sure this is an option for you to pursue should you decide to control your own behavior rather than seeking to control others' behavior.

#44 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

@AT
So you are saying if they put the cost of repair back into game it would be better if we just hide?

how crazy does one have to be to see that is a bad idea?

I barely make 80k a match, yes I am not a good player but to do that garbage you are going to punish me and others like me.

this will hardly affect players who have been playing for years and or really fast learners.

if they ever put it back into the game it damn well be only for cw or there will be a crap storm far worse than what we seen over the TW's heavy handed nerfing(Which clearly got removed).

as I and many others have stated before there are so many reasons for things like this happen that you cannot just paint with a wide brush.

(Edited to clean up spelling errors and changed a word)

Edited by VinJade, 29 July 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#45 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

A death is a death it doesn't help their KDR at all. Doesn't matter how they die.

So no.

What you are complaining about is someone doing their best to kill you, failing, and not giving you the satisfaction of a kill.

TRY HARDER SHOOT FASTER and all that jazz. Cause obviously you aren't as PRO as the guy willing to overheat to get a kill.
/sarcasm off.

#46 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Many times I have not had the warning show up as I was skirting the edge, or even wildly out of bounds on one of my first runs on the Borg stage.

And there's no way currently for the game to tell the difference between that and intentional death by being out of bounds.

--
Overheat death is just a risk players take and 99% of the time it isn't a suicide move but either a last ditch or accidental crit death.

--
Hiding. On one hand its a good tactic that generally throws impatient players off and I've seen people hide and kill most of if not all of the opposing team when they decide to afk. On the other hand it is boring, but still not worth any sort of penalties.

#47 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNorth America West

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostFiaura The Tank Girl, on 21 April 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Running out of Bounds:
50,000 C-Bill Penalty
500 XP Point Penalty
No Kills earned this match count towards your kills
This counts as a deaths on your part

Hiding at the End of Match:
If you are disengaged from the enemy for more than 1:30 minutes and do not reengage the enemy and the match counts as a loss, the following penalty should be applied:

0 C-Bills gained for the Match
0 XP gained for the match
No Kills Earned Count towards your Kills
This counts as a death on your part

These two for maybe. If you die from overheating 'cuz you're going to lose anyhow you're not wasting anyone's time, and if you do by accident then that's punishment enough, so no penalty from overheating.

Running out of bounds because you've been afk for half the round and come back with your team losing 9-3 is a **** move.

Hiding at the end of the round (I've also seen at the beginning people hide until we start winning, then swoop in and try to steal kills) should also be punishable, but it's hard to automatically screen for that sort of thing. I've played games where the tactic was to sneak around and ambush (which only works about 20% of the time) <- But when it work, it really does

Edited by Arle Vox, 30 July 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#48 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

@Vox
No, none of those should ever be put into place EVER.

only reason any one would EVER want this is because they are just pissed because they are deprived of a 'kill' they feel that they 'earned'.

You do also realize there are other reasons to not shut down from over heating, let me give you a couple in case you can't understand why some feel it is alright,

1: to many enemies around and don't want to be left unable to defend yourself because that you are disabled due to heat

2: they are trying to deal as much damage as they can before going down, ether by over heat or by the enemy

3: people with those annoying horns and kill themselves to prevent that horn from blowing as a sort of middle finger to the owners of War Horns(Which I wouldn't do but I won't condemn them for it ether and those with those horns have none to blame but themselves for it).

4: one or all of the above.

now to the running off the map thing

1: by mistake while trying to shake their tail

2: not even know they have done it until they go boom*

*this happened to me in the past as well.

Edited by VinJade, 01 August 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#49 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

There are maps (HPG riding the wall) that you can go off the fighting area but cant get back...

#50 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hitlering is just weak ass lame crap.
You have to face the consequences of beeing a mechwarrior and fight till death without
any suicidal bullcrap.I just laugh about the people that willingly suicide in their mechs and give away the chance
to raise the credits and xp income some more.
So dont be a Adolf! When you start a war big shame on you when you end it through suicide :D

Edited by shr84, 27 November 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#51 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

I´ve read through this discussion trying to remember if I have encountered situations like this during the matches. It was an fairly easy task, since I am noob and dinßt have that many. I can only recall 2 matches where we were watching the remaing teammember running for the boundries. The funny thing regarding this discussion is, that in both cases (that´s why I remeber them) both pilots have been encouraged massively over VOIP to do exactly that and he was cheered upon for not giving the other team a kill. Running for the border doen´t feel right to me, in any case. Although it is mildly understandable in a last man standing situation it is a absolute no-go during a match just because you don´t like the macht choice. All in all it feels like a lot of people are stating to be actually forced to dc/suicide because they are forced to unloved modes and maps by the vote or the matchmaker. And there I a quite annoyed about dc mechs just standing around at spawn until the end and I have no issues ratting them out when they are last man standing and we have lost anyway. But then again, not everybody loves his ISP don´t we? So how to judge automatically who to punish because he´s whimping out or who not to punish, because it was not his fault.

Any automatic penalty system has to be foolproof, transparent, fair. And that might be quite difficult. And it won´t be able to satisfy all. It ends up in us reporting them, although it feels snitching a bit. But if it anounced over VOIP and chat that "This is a $§"-map and this is &%&$-mode is §§"§!" and soon afterwards heßs disconnected it doesn´t feel ratting out someone at all. If you don´t like the heat, go out of the kitchen.

As long as wer are talking heat: I think overheating should not be generally penalized. The problem is how do you determine if a pilot is killing himself to remove himself from the game or if he would fight until he and his Mech (or she and her Mech, goes for all my posts actually) would reach the limits. The latter I can live with, the first one not. War would throw us in many situations we would not be able to choose.
If we stick to the lore, Clan pilots would be praised if they would fight to a glorious death. Remember Aidan Pryde anyone? Sometimes, I give you that, it is by dumb noob stubborness (needs one to know one) when you just won´t retrat (or your heavy a$$ Mech just would not be fast enough to get away anyway). And I prefer the possibility to have one last kill to get shot in the back anyday. Oh, if we are talking lore actually, couldn´t PGI make self-inflicted overheat explosions not create collateral damage in close proximity a real deal? The bigger the reactor, the bigger the damage.

As long as there are pilots who can snobbishly walk away from a match we will have this discussion as no automated system will determine the intention of the player precisely enough. Mind reading is not (yet) part of the game ;-).

Sorry for the long post. Have a great weekend everybody!

Edited by Thomster, 28 November 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#52 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:33 AM

Currently have over 250 million Cbills stashed and 100k gxp. These changes would be trivial! :D

Edited by W A R K H A N, 28 November 2015 - 05:33 AM.

#53 DailyFrankPeter

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

I'd like to see the (dead) team able to vote on the last survivor.

Sometimes the whole team encourages it or it is in fact needed to win by caps, other times it's just the lone surviving light getting passive aggressive and powering down on a roof somewhere (because he's furious he lost) and in the meantime his team are stuck with their mechs blocked. Yet another time it may be a disconnect (you can argue if that's a "free but fair kill" or "cheap spawn kill").

And option to vote on surrender would be good I think.

Edited by DailyFrankPeter, 01 December 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#54 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

What bothers me isn't the suiciding, it's the actual "LOL no kill 4 u" taunt they put in gspeak afterwards.

#55 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

I think whenever a Mech runs out of bounds the game should drop artillery on them for entering a free-fire area, rather than giving a countdown and a self-destruct.

I think whenever a Mech runs out of bounds the game should drop artillery on them for entering a free-fire area, rather than giving a countdown and a self-destruct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users