BattleMechs Gameplay General

128 replies to this topic

#21 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

mine got a std 300 engine (82,2 kp/h), 6 med pulses and 2 mgs (1t ammo), and of course dual ams (2t ammo). around 400 armor and the remaining free tonnage in double heat sinks. called it "knife" and use it like that...close and personal. it works (i know there are far better builts) and it´s fun. got my 5 kill/game achievement with it, and it´s my first pure short range mech to brake 1000 dmg in a game. (heat eff. is around 1.25)

Edited by Kutfroat, 22 April 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#22 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostDracol, on 22 April 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

I want to like it, but I have yet to find a build on it that I don't already run on my other T-bolts.

You could just run the same build only with double AMS. (woot!) Especially if the next patch finally fixes SRM HSR.

#23 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 April 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

64.8 is slow for a thunderbolt. my slowest thunderbolt does 80. one of the only advantages to the thunderbolt is that you can put a 300 engine in it.

The T-bolt it's pretty much and updated (on hardpoints at least) catapult made for *brawling* at least on theory.

put a 300 it's pretty much running max engine (akin to stalkers) so in order to get the more juice for weapons you need to pretty much run an XL.

Imho i think it should be better witha bit more of turning speed.

P.S: also worth to notice some mechs seems to handle quite different when mastered and we often forgot that with new variants we still need to master

#24 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

The T-bolt it's pretty much and updated (on hardpoints at least) catapult made for *brawling* at least on theory.

I dunno. Brawling is pretty fail IMO. When everyone else is using ERLL, PPC, and AC5s.

I use ERLLs/PPCs, Streaks, and AC5s/AC10 in mine.

#25 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 22 April 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

You could just run the same build only with double AMS. (woot!) Especially if the next patch finally fixes SRM HSR.

Good point.... My 2xPPC and ER Large laser build could use dual AMS. But I don't really drive that one much since I got double basics unlocked.

I really like my Phoenix T-bolt. Dual LRM 10 with artemis, Large laser, 2x Med Laser, and Tag, Top speed over 70 kph. Since the 9S only has one 10 tube missile rack, I just can't bring myself to run it with a comparable build. The full 20 artemis launch at 250 meters is what really works for me on the Phoenix build.

#26 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

A thing I'd like to point out with the 9S.
It has those two high mounted energy slots in the right torso, about the same height as the cockpit. This makes it quite effective as a ridge humping PPC Sniper. Again, it's a role that the Cataphract can do just as well (better, because of more tonnage), but as far as I can recall of the Thuds, only the 9S has the high mounted weapon slots.

#27 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostThunder Child, on 22 April 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

A thing I'd like to point out with the 9S.
It has those two high mounted energy slots in the right torso, about the same height as the cockpit. This makes it quite effective as a ridge humping PPC Sniper. Again, it's a role that the Cataphract can do just as well (better, because of more tonnage), but as far as I can recall of the Thuds, only the 9S has the high mounted weapon slots.

The 5SS and 9SE do as well. Not sure about the 5S as I didn't get it since it was so similar to the 9S. Here's how I run my 9S currently, but I'll switch to a smaller STD once it's been elited. I agree with Bishop that without a big engine, it feels slow as molasses. Not sure what it is.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba98e07e8665956

I also run it with dual AC/5 and a single LL, but the arm mounts are too low for long range engagement. Better to use the high shoulder mounts for the ranged weapons.

#28 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostDracol, on 22 April 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

I want to like it, but I have yet to find a build on it that I don't already run on my other T-bolts.

And thats where I stand as well. Hardpoints are like a hybrid between a 5S and a 5SS but I already have those mechs and I'm content with their loadouts so it feels like the 9S may be a bit redundant.

#29 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

I run it with:

- Standard 275, endo, DHS
- 2 PPC's in the right torso for sniping
- 2 machine guns in the left arm
- 2 medium lasers in the left torso
- 1 medium laser in the right torso.

Mix as you wish, but you get a good sniping mech with some limited close in abilities. The other main option is to cut down on the PPC's and go big guns in the left arm with lots of lasers. That gives you nice brawling abilities.

The 2 main things to me are: never run an XL engine since your torsos are large and it negates one of the Thud's abilities - it can endure more punishment than similar tonnage mechs because of hitboxes. Also, I tend to ignore the missile launcher since it is rather small to be a real threat and using it makes my hitbox larger.

#30 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

I don't really like the Thunderbolt Chassis. So, the free one was promptly sold.

#31 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I run mine with a STD 280, 5 MLs, 1 ERPPC, 1 ASRM6, 2 AMS, 2 tons ams ammo, 2 tons SRM ammo, 16 DHS and almost max armor.

#32 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Lg laser, 5 md lasers, 2 mg and NARC!

The NARC has been more valuable than an SRM or LRM so far.

#33 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

260 Engine. ER PPC, LL, TAG, 3 MLs 2 MGs, 2 AMS and as much armor and heat sinks as I could squeeze in.
The Thunderbolt continues to prove, anything a Battlemaster does, it does better, and without taking up a precious assault slot once 3/3/3/3 hits.

#34 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

It's perma benched... and many I know sold it straight up for the mechbay...

#35 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

TDRs aren't great. That said, this one has all the advantages of each variant other than jump jets. It's not half bad

#36 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 21 April 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Opinions!

Do you love it? Hate it?
Already have a favorite build?

Just got mine but haven't used it yet and would like to read about your experiences with our newest guest, the TDR-9S :P

5 ton light Summoner

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 21 April 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

I already eleted them and its too similar to one of the others ... i dont like them enough to grind that one

On the other hand free mechbacy and a fist full of cBills was nice from selling it :(

It has 2 really high mount energy slots where the 5SS only has 1. But the rest of it is like the 5S.

#37 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

View Posttayhimself, on 22 April 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

The 5SS and 9SE do as well. Not sure about the 5S as I didn't get it since it was so similar to the 9S. Here's how I run my 9S currently, but I'll switch to a smaller STD once it's been elited. I agree with Bishop that without a big engine, it feels slow as molasses. Not sure what it is.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba98e07e8665956

I also run it with dual AC/5 and a single LL, but the arm mounts are too low for long range engagement. Better to use the high shoulder mounts for the ranged weapons.

The 5SS only has 1 energy slot that goes up at the top if I recall correctly.

#38 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm not a fan of the TBolts but this one is my favorite so far. I've been running this and while I haven't played a ton of matches in it yet I've enjoyed it. (I know I need endo and a Std 300 but I didn't have one available at the time)

Edited by EyeOne, 22 April 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#39 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 22 April 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of the TBolts but this one is my favorite so far. I've been running this and while I haven't played a ton of matches in it yet I've enjoyed it. (I know I need endo and a Std 300 but I didn't have one available at the time)

You didn't put on either endo-steel or the 2nd AMS. Try this - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a9a6b24a5adf306 - same thing except that the endo-steel frees up enough tonnage for a ST300 engine & a 2nd AMS.

#40 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

High shoulder mount is pretty dope...good spot for some long range weaponry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users