- - - - -

One Of The Most Important Traits You Need.

32 replies to this topic

#1 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Well, there is one Trait you NEED if you are New, its a very special Gift, most people Lack today,

but you CAN get it, if you work on it!

Is it a perfect Aim?

No. That will help, but its not as important.

Is it a perfect knowledge of every Mech, and all the maps?

Neither, those might help too, but its not what i mean,

what i am Talking about is a single virtue:

Patience.

Patience is KEY in this game.

Storytime :(

I had a Match yesterday on Caustic, we did start in the Southern Spawn, Assault mode.

Two guys on our Team, tried to direct our Forces into Solid Positions, but it did not help much,

as we took Positions, we faced an enemy, which was entrenchted and in pretty Solid cover, you couldnt take a shot without

eating return fire of at least two machines.

So, our two Leaders did Call out to return to our Base and dig in.

As usual only half of our Team did listen.

So i took on Command, and issued Defense Orders for our 3 Lances arround the Base perimeter, next to cover and

did repeat to "Fall back, dig in, grit your teeth and Let em come for us"

we had been down 4 Mechs allready, vs. 1 death Mech on the enemy Team, and to add insult to injury,

two of my Lances Mechs, our last two Assaults (Victor and Atlas) did plain and simple REFUSE to listen to the Orders.

Our Atlas Pilot even did go as far as Insult us, calling us names for retreating, charging alongside the Victor uphill against 11 Enemys while he told us "OMG im doing 900+ Damage EACH game! im so Pro at this!"

He went down rather fast, is was underwhelming to watch it...

So there we sat, in our Base, behind some Rocks...

just 6 Pilots in Their machines in rather Bad conditions, facing still 10 Enemy Pilots...

and we did wait, patiently...

as the time hit 2:30 left, the enemys did descend upon our little rag tag band, in a perfect long drawn battle line,

from the maps Center to the eastern part of the map, they moved down the Mountain....

So, in one last act of defiance, we threw our Mechs into the Fray, starting out at their Flank from the west,
i was leading the charge, in my trusted Grid Iron, just not caring about anything,
taking a stroll along their lines, giving them all i had left, and damn, sometimes that Lady dies hard,
took them a Solid 40 seconds to take my Grid Iron out, while my Team just CRUSHED them,

we threw them in a complet dissaray, turning the kill counts from 6:2 for them into 7:8 for us,
pressing onward, the remaining members of my Team, managed, to end the match, with 20 seconds remaining on the clock, with a solid 9:12 for us.

Thats what Patience is worth in this Game,
Dont try to force something, WAIT for the enemy to make ONE single mistake and capitalize on it.

As Sun Tzu said:

Those who look to fight first, and look for victory second, are doomed to fail,
thus, you need to look for victory First and go to fight, second.

Edited by Androas, 21 April 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#2 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostAndroas, on 21 April 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

Our Atlas Pilot even did go as far as Insult us, calling us names for retreating, charging alongside the Victor uphill against 11 Enemys while he told us "OMG im doing 900+ Damage EACH game! im so Pro at this!"

He went down rather fast, is was underwhelming to watch it...

Best part of this story.

Never think you can go it alone - even if you consider yourself a 'pro'!

Loved the tale and you are spot on, patience is a virtue in this game and a perfect quality for any mechwarrior!!

#3 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

what i am Talking about is a single virtue:

Patience.

Patience is KEY in this game.

That's what i was thinking when i saw the thread title

#4 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 21 April 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

Best part of this story.

Never think you can go it alone - even if you consider yourself a 'pro'!

Loved the tale and you are spot on, patience is a virtue in this game and a perfect quality for any mechwarrior!!

i got a few more of those ingame examples where patience won the day, but i dont want to make it to much of a read.
The Atlas pilot did keep on spamming his "wisdom" even after his demise, and did Quit the match literaly seconds before we moved out to grab the win ^^

#5 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

If I had a dollar for every time I've tried to stress this... And been ignored.

"Don't rush XYZ location, they'll cut us up. Form up and wait for them to come through!"

"Nah {scrap} that, I'm going in on boost! Follow me!"

Que half the team wiping as they charge into said choke point, followed on by the hopeless battle for survival fought by the rest of us.

/headdesk

#6 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

The one trait you need in this game is patience and communication.
Wait, the TWO traits you need in this game are patience, communication, and situational awareness.
Let's try that again. The THREE traits you need in this game are patience, communication, situational awareness, and fanatical devotion to the pope.
Damn.

#7 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

View PostErtur, on 21 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Wait, the TWO traits you need in this game are patience, communication, and situational awareness.
Let's try that again. The THREE traits you need in this game are patience, communication, situational awareness, and fanatical devotion to the pope.
Damn.

Thats why i stated one of the most important traitS, that allready includes, that there are multiple, and this is only one of them :(

#8 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

Great job, mate!
But if the enemy had been patient aswell they would just fall back and wait for your team since they would win on numbers alone...
So patience would get victories on each side of the story you told :(

#9 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

NOBODY expects the Steiner Inquisition!

View PostErtur, on 21 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Damn.

#10 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

View Postflipover, on 22 April 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

Great job, mate!
But if the enemy had been patient aswell they would just fall back and wait for your team since they would win on numbers alone...
So patience would get victories on each side of the story you told ;)

I know, which emphasizes the point even more :ph34r:

#11 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

sitting and waiting is the thing an assault should always do..

whenever I rush into gameplay and want to be active, I usually find myself in a shitty situation and am gunned down usually pretty quick...

When I lay back and relax though, I can do some serious Damage, Get in lots of Kills, and generally have a fun match.

Problem is the gung ho attitude is common when you think you're piloting a huge Mech and can kick serious ass because it's a video game... Doesn't occur to you that this is extremely realistic.... and that if you know nothing of miltary tactics and warfare methods, you will die an embarrasing death.

#12 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

This is a great post !!!!

#13 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

had one of these types of rounds this morning on river city night on assault mode.

my whole play style for the most part is sit and wait and then react, sit and wait.

#14 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostSmittiferous, on 21 April 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

If I had a dollar for every time I've tried to stress this... And been ignored.

"Don't rush XYZ location, they'll cut us up. Form up and wait for them to come through!"

"Nah {scrap} that, I'm going in on boost! Follow me!"

Que half the team wiping as they charge into said choke point, followed on by the hopeless battle for survival fought by the rest of us.

/headdesk

Classic example of this today.

Terra Derpa. The second post out of my fingers was "Please don't go near the PUG Zapper. Victory is never found in the Volcano". This is especially true with PUGs.

So what'd 9 people do (everyone but me and my lancmates)? Marched right up there with a 'hah! we'll prove you wrong confidence... and stood in the doorway.

I pushed on beyond towards D4... a lone LRM boat and found... the remaining 6 enemy mech looking to flank THEIR push handing us our heads in the PUG Zapper because the team as usual stood in the doorway staring into the lava of Mt. Derp. I open fire on the flank, and then suddenly the guys in the doorway go... "whu? Fight behind us??! How dare someone else get into it before me... while I was losing over here?!?" So they come tumbling down into the D line. I coordinate my lance to go loop around the C line and counter push and we start to roll back the enemy pincher while 5 of our team chewed up from the PUG Zapper they wouldn't ignore got mauled further by a DDC backed push from both sides. Then a few others joined my lance mates and we pushed into them harder from the C line, getting them stuck between us, the PUG Zapper and the tattered remnants of our previously surrounded team.

Long story short, I ended up last man alive in the Pain Train (Orion VA LRMboat) and the DDC Atlas who was now slightly chewed up. That pilot was good, and one of my lancemates saw him and pointed him out just in the nick of time for me to get volleys off with TAG and artemis to win the game before he reduced me to rubble.

Patience is rule #1. Not going to the obvious failure points is rule #2.

Great post OP.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

It's funny when I saw the title and before I even opened it the first thought that came to mind was "patience."

Then I read through the little teasing build up and damn, there it was.

#16 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Oh I have one that just happened last night!

Me and some friends from a merc group I just joined decided to run an all Assault lance for the lolz. Well we end up getting Forest Colony, to our frustration.

Whatever we put it behind us. See half our team go for the tunnel which is immediately to the left of our spawn, we say screw that and go right. I think a Shadowhawk and a Blackjack follow us. So its those 2 plus 2 Atlas' and 2 Misery (Im in a Misery). Lance leader makes a call to wait around a corner as our team TRIES to pour out of the tunnel. The enemy is holding them albeit getting chewed up in the process, Im eyeing a very damaged cataphract. After a solid minute or two lance leader calls for an attack. The 2 mediums follow us and we all go in guns blazing. The moment I turn the corner I start wailing on the cataphract. One of our atlas' died while trying to tank damage as the 5 of us focus on everything else. The moment he falls I knock the cataphract in the teeth with an AC10 and 4 large lasers, he dies pretty quickly. The other Misery and the Atlas proceed to bitchslap Jagermech and a Shadowhawk, a catapult literally runs for the hills. This is all happening as our teammates in the tunnel are like: WHATS GOING ON!?

We steamroll them back into their spawn as me and the other Misery leg some scouts and the rest of our team does clean up. Our victory was glorious and violent. Needless to say if we had not have waited until the enemy was soft, we probably would have stalled and been pushed back.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 22 April 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#17 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

Ah, truer words have never been spoken. Patience is definitely the key when one is in a heavyweight chassis.

Now, I've got something to share with you as well:

Today, while I was leveling my Orions, the one time I dropped into a Skirmish at Crimson Straight, I went over to the area below the platform. A Jenner was heading towards the tunnel while I watched from behind him. Sure enough, the Jenner took a licking, & thus, I called out to the team that there are some at the tunnel. I was trying to get some shots over at them, but I was taking heavy fire, & thus I fell back to one of the sides & waited for them. Thankfully, the others that are with me had the same idea, & they all hid & waited, with me & a few on one side, & a few on the other, while one or two of them stood in front & draw them in. Thinking that we were on the ropes, they've decided to push out of the tunnel.

BIG MISTAKE!!

As soon as they got out, they've walked into a concave, & thus got hammered at all angles. I, myself was focusing on the DDC that was in their ranks as best I could. Once that Atlas fell, the rest of them started falling apart from our trap.

Thus, their overextending has cost them dearly, but still, that was a very hairy engagement. Had we not gone trough with that plan, the result of this fight would've been much different.

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

+1 for encouraging patience, and +1 again for reminding me that I'm not always as patient as I should be.

#19 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 22 April 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

+1 for encouraging patience, and +1 again for reminding me that I'm not always as patient as I should be.

Thanks a lot, but who is? Especially in my griffin i tend to overextend and gt in Bad positions a lot, hes just so agile :P

#20 D U S T Y

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

So, in one last act of defiance, we threw our Mechs into the Fray, starting out at their Flank from the west,
i was leading the charge, in my trusted Grid Iron, just not caring about anything,

Dont try to force something, WAIT for the enemy to make ONE single mistake and capitalize on it.

Sounds like you contradicted yourself charging wildly into the enemy and got lucky with the outcome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users