Hawken Is Much Better

19 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Ratburger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 200 posts
  • LocationIm in front of my computer

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

I didnt know what category to put this in so I chosethis one and will put it in another as it will be taken down promptly.

I have seen MWO become a joke, its an unprofessional pile of stale gameplay backed up by over the top expensive mech packages that you grind experience over and over again in the same deathmatch style way no matter what mode you choose. Its STALE and thats why I left.

I checked out a very decent mech game callled Hawken, now all you hardcore mechwarrior fans out there who want to flame me you have to understand, I was a hardcore mechwarrior fan too or I would not have spent so much on an overlord phoenix pack... all I'm asking is that you check it out as its free.

Pay special atention to:
1- it has a very good tutorial unlike the half baked one PGI came up with
2- the pricing system is not insane
3- it runs great on max settings
4- destructable envornments (what PGI initially promised)
5-gameplay modes ARE not just one big deathmatch and even with an option against bots!
6-the menu loadout menu does not look like it was made by a 5 year old.

Please check it out on Steam just google it for a free download. I want the MWO developer to make something just as good or sell it to someone who can.

oh just for pricing comparison... a premium mech will cost you $6 not over $250

Edited by Sir Ratburger, 22 April 2014 - 04:18 AM.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

View PostSir Ratburger, on 22 April 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

I didnt know what category to put this in so I chosethis one and will put it in another as it will be taken down promptly.

I have seen MWO become a joke, its an unprofessional pile of stale gameplay backed up by over the top expensive mech packages that you grind experience over and over again in the same deathmatch style way no matter what mode you choose. Its STALE and thats why I left.

I checked out a very decent mech game callled Hawken, now all you hardcore mechwarrior fans out there who want to flame me you have to understand, I was a hardcore mechwarrior fan too or I would not have spent so much on an overlord phoenix pack... all I'm asking is that you check it out as its free.

Pay special atention to:
1- it has a very good tutorial unlike the half baked one PGI came up with
2- the pricing system is not insane
3- it runs great on max settings
4- destructable envornments (what PGI initially promised)
5-gameplay modes ARE not just one big deathmatch and even with an option against bots!
6-the menu loadout menu does not look like it was made by a 5 year old.

Please check it out on Steam just google it for a free download. I want the MWO developer to make something just as good or sell it to someone who can.

oh just for pricing comparison... a premium mech will cost you $6 not over $250

The premium Mech costs $30-$40, the Price of the golden Fleece is $470. Still $30 for a Toon is excessive to my thinking.

#3 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

It doesn't feel like driving a lumbering mech. It feels too much like every other fps out there.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 22 April 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

It doesn't feel like driving a lumbering mech. It feels too much like every other fps out there.

So then every FpS feels Like MechWarrior then... Cause I never felt... Lumbering in any MechWarrior game since MW2.

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

I know I'LL be flamed for this; but I can understand your frustration, and why you left. The game has issues, the developers, while I can sympathise, haven't lived up to their promises... (yet?)

I don't have any intention of leaving personally, not yet, because the game's still fun for me. Stale but fun. Hawken is unique in its own way and, frankly, feels more polished and professional. I still have high hopes for MW:O, and I'll probably stick with it until the day it dies. I'm sad that it couldn't keep true MechWarrior or BattleTech fans longer. :\

[color=#959595]So then every FpS feels Like MechWarrior then... Cause I never felt... Lumbering in any MechWarrior game since MW2. [/color]

Actually, I have to admit MW:O has a certain 'lumbering' feel to it, at least in its larger 'Mechs. The environments kill that sense of scale and force though, for me. Lighter 'Mechs are, in ratio, much faster compared to their larger counterparts compared to other MW games.

MW2 definitely had the most lumbering feel, MW3 still retained some of that and IMO still has the best 'giant 'Mech feel' to it, MW4 lost it completely.

Edited by AUSwarrior24, 22 April 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:28 AM

You won't be flamed by me at least. You have an opinion you are entitled if not expected to give it. :(

#7 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

You want to talk about hawken, you go to off-topic!

On a side note... it took me 10 seconds with the search function to find all of theses:
http://mwomercs.com/...rior-vs-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...rrior-online-p/
http://mwomercs.com/...all-and-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...echwarrior-why/
http://mwomercs.com/...ine-and-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...look-at-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...warrior-online/
http://mwomercs.com/...ons-for-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...ion-miniseries/
http://mwomercs.com/...-mwo-vs-hawken/
http://mwomercs.com/...-hawken-shockn/
http://mwomercs.com/...wken-ascension/
http://mwomercs.com/...-mwo-vs-hawken/

I'm sure your post would have fit fine into one of those.

Also: Do not crosspost! I removed the other identical thread.

Edited by Egomane, 22 April 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#8 Sir Ratburger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostEgomane, on 22 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Havent been on in a very long time Egoman and for good reason, so please excuse me for not knowing the post links or bothering to search... I'm just saying Hawken is much much better and thats all... the fact so many other people say it is too is great.

Edited by Sir Ratburger, 22 April 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#9 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostSir Ratburger, on 22 April 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Havent been on in a very long time Egoman and for good reason, so please excuse me for not knowing the post links or bothering to search... I'm just saying Hawken is much much better and thats all... the fact so many other people say it is too is great.

Hawken is nice I guess, but I don´t think you really can compare it gameplaywise.

#10 Sir Ratburger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostKlappspaten, on 22 April 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Hawken is nice I guess, but I don´t think you really can compare it gameplaywise.

I agree, its controls are better, its not clunky, it has mini games, it has AI bots, it has better performance, it has a great tutorial, its not ridiculously priced, the graphichs are better, the music is better, the garage/loadout screen is better, the rewards are better, the time it took them to develop it is better, the amount of money they used to develop it is better, you dont get randomly bombarded by waves of LRM's, you dont have ridiculous 'get arounds' like ghost heat... oh I could go on and on.

Agreed fully :-)

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostSir Ratburger, on 22 April 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

I agree, its controls are better, its not clunky, it has mini games, it has AI bots, it has better performance, it has a great tutorial, its not ridiculously priced, the graphichs are better, the music is better, the garage/loadout screen is better, the rewards are better, the time it took them to develop it is better, the amount of money they used to develop it is better, you dont get randomly bombarded by waves of LRM's, you dont have ridiculous 'get arounds' like ghost heat... oh I could go on and on.

Well, you can't argue with a compelling narrative like that! Have fun playing Hawken.

#12 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

the time it took them to develop it is better,

I'll interfere at this point!
Hawken had 9 months of development, when it was announced and it took them 17 more months till open beta.
MWO had zero months of real development when it's been announced and went open Beta 11 Months later.

So we have 26 months of development versus 11.

the amount of money they used to develop it is better,

How do you know? Where did you get the numbers? Numbers don't lie! If there was more money in the development of Hawken, it should be obvious that they can afford a bigger team and get results faster. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Really, it's two different games, with completly different game mechanics. If you enjoy Hawken, fine! Have fun there! But please do not try to compare apples to oranges.

#13 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

First: Its funny how I almost never get "randomly bombarded" by LRMs, might have something to do with the fact that I stick to cover.

Second: I do not quite understand how some money can be better then other money. Or did the guys from Hawken gather US Dollar and PGI somehow gathered russian Rubel?

#14 Sir Ratburger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

I think pgi gathered us dollars and spent it on cars, women and anything other than developing the game and the team that developed Hawken decided to do that after creating a full game first. priorities gentlemen, priorities.

#15 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Nobody can understand why MWO is in the state that it is after 3 years of "Development". It would be understandable if you had say 1 guy working on it, but supposedly they have an entire team. Wandering Samurai got more done in 3 years then PGI has, which is even more confusing since PGI is paying their staff and Wandering Samurai was all volunteer. It calls into question just wtf they do all day at PGI, play Hawken?

#16 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hawken looks nice, certainly more polished than MWO. Too bad about the twitchy CoD-style gameplay.

View PostWerewolf486, on 22 April 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

Nobody can understand why MWO is in the state that it is after 3 years of "Development".

Let me sum it up for you: AAA aspirations (certainly player expectations) with a B sized team and indie funding. Either get over it, or move on. There really is no third option.

#17 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 22 April 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

OP... In your dreams is hawken better. HAwken really is not bad but is literally this just more expensive.

I haven't played Hawken, but I've heard that it's a much more polished product unlike MWO. This is what most people mean when they say Hawken is better, it's more polished.

#18 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

I have to say yes Hawken is a fun game and im also a long time TT/BT/MechWarrior player and fan the truth is when I play Hawken I don't get mad at the Developers because I had no expectations of what a Hawken game should be or play like.But with MWO it is different I expected MWO to be a combination of MechWarrior2-MechWarrior4 with great PVE a BattleTech Character I could walk around the base. Great solo/pug only queues with no groups to just relax and have fun and a great multiplayer with lobby's private matches and leagues for competitive game play.

I say this because MechWarrior PC games had all this before MWO and MWO just does not live up to its past titles. Is this because the developers of MWO squandered away the startup money on boats. cars, parties, trips, etc.? Other games instead of MWO development? or is it just the lack of common sense and development skill the Devs lack?

Its hard to say which it is but I know when I play MWO im always mad because of no content like past MechWarrior titles had with Hawken I just don't expect the same things.

#19 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 April 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

So then every FpS feels Like MechWarrior then... Cause I never felt... Lumbering in any MechWarrior game since MW2.

You haven't felt lumbering? Try a Thunderbolt with a stock engine. Or frankly, any assault with a stock engine. You'll definitely lumber.

#20 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wanted to love Hawken, I really did. In fact I knew about it waaaay before MWO, and only discovered Mechwarrior because I was searching for Hawken updates in 2011. I was already itching for an excuse to build a mechpit and spent a lot of time anticipating Hawken as a result. Years in fact. Having built cockpits before (including primary controls), I knew it would be silly to make one before getting to play and seeing exactly how controls are implemented first (*proper controls are very specialized things), but MWO was playable long before and I've been a BT fan since the 80's so I made my mechpit for MWO, with the intention of using it for Hawken as well once it was playable.

Fast forward to 12/12/12 (first day of beta), and nothing could prepare me for the disappoint. A simple fps clone skinned in robots. I'm on my second mechpit now, and Hawken is just as mired in fps mechanics today as it was when it came out so regardless of all the neato things they did it fundamentally has not changed and remains an fps dressed as robots.

x-axis slaved to steering, making it an 'aim to steer' game
strafe
single hitbox damage

The uninspiring mech designs don't do anything for me, but it's the generic fps control scheme and damage model that prevent this game from being a contender. By comparison, MWO comes off like a high fidelity simulator like DCS titles. It's not, but when you compare it to something so much more simplified and less immersing like Hawken it is.

*Controls Demystified(?) (why a flightstick is a boat anchor in a shooter and why my mechstick is a paperweight in a flight sim)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users