Hero Mech Recommandations

18 replies to this topic

#1 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

I'll have to disagree with you entirely regarding the Boar's Head, Jester, Flame, Dragon Slayer and Heavy Metal. From my personal experience each one of these mechs shines DEPENDING ON THE PILOT. I personally haven't tried any of the other mechs, but the ones I've listed I have had great success in, and I ESPECIALLY love my Flame.

#2 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I agree that the Ilya is a solid hero mech. I do think you've missed out on The Protector and Misery though.

I like most of the hero mechs in this game but I think you're right they are not the best for a new player's first and potentially only hero.

#3 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

Funny advice. The DS and the Ember are heavily used in competitions, and you ignored another very deadly hero mech -- the Misery.

#4 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I also take issue with listing the Oxide as horrible. It's a great mech, as long as you understand its role an play it accordingly. The streak Oxide (most common version) does three things really, really well.

1) Light Hunter. The Oxide can go one-on-one with any other light mech and win, given equal pilot skill. Four streaks are a force to be reckoned with when your opponent doesn't have much armor. Also, Oxides are nearly heat-neutral, so there's no need to ever stop firing.

2) Harrasser. Find an opponent who is already engaged with someone else. Run around it and chain fire your streaks until either you or your friendlies kill it.

3) Scavenger. The Oxide is very weak early in a match due to its inability to focus fire, but it can be deadly in late game (similar to machine gun boats like the Huggin). The first several minutes of a match, hang back in the safety of the group and keep an eye out for enemy lights harrassing your group. Otherwise, don't commit yourself until the enemy mechs start showing holes in their armor. Then you can start aggressively engaging and really helping your team secure some kills.

When I pilot an Oxide, the only mechs I truly fear are medium Streakboats like the Shadowhawk, Griffin, and Kintaro (multiple ECM mechs together are also a bad time waiting to happen). Anything else, I'm willing to take one-on-one if needed, assuming I can safely close the distance.

Edited by Crotch RockIt, 22 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 22 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

For you light and med pilots, Deaths Knell.....

First time in a while I have seen that one recommended (especially since the Firestarters came out!)

#6 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

The Death's Knell...really? Considering that the Ember is, literally, a Death's Knell with JJ AND 4 additional ballistic hardpoints you can throw machine guns in, I disagree 100%. The Ember beats out the DK, every time, in every category.

I've also found the X-5 outclassed by nearly every other medium mech out there.

The Ember, Firebrand, Ilya, Dragonslayer and Misery are the heroes I'd call worthwhile.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 22 April 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#7 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Took out an Ember just last night in my Death's Knell, 1 on 1. Mainly cause I got the drop on him, meaning I got to do an alpha at one of his legs before the circling started. Just about took out his buddy Pult too who came along just a bit too late to save the ember. Pult had Streaks which finished me after taking the Pult's CT down to yellowish/amber.

It's fun running around at 171kph...

Edited by BigBadVlad, 22 April 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#8 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Jester? really? jump jetting heavy going 97.4 with dual ams, plus its a cat. Ember? Wich is considered one of the best light.

I dont know bro. Cant talk for the others because i dont own them but im a bit supprised you dont have Golden Boy on your bad heroes list, good for me beacuse i love it, but im not in the majority on that one.

I do agree that ILYA and Firebrand are very good. But Misery is solid too.

Do you really own all the heroes OP? Doesnt sound like you do.

+ Hero hunchie is just a hunchie and huchies are bad imo.

Edited by Turist0AT, 22 April 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

(Directed at the first post.)
I completely disagree with the Heavy Metal. It's the only mech where every match I consistently make 700 to 1,000+ damage and 1 to 8 kills in.

Oxide and Huginn are niche mechs; if played to what they're good at they are great, but suck at everything else.

Ember does NOT deserve to be on that list, at all. It is extremely versatile and actually excels even at slower speeds (unlike every single other mech you listed).

Knell is an okay mech, but like Oxide and Huginn is a niche mech and should be on your list of not so good mechs (not because it's bad but it's only good at a few things).

X-5 is essentially OP compared to every other Cicada (even the ECM one), though compared to other mechs it is fairly balanced.

Muromets is worthy of praise.

Firebrand... is "moderately good." It's also a Glorified Rifleman.

Dragon Slayer is a Highlander in a Victor's body (as Heavy Metal is a Victor in a Highlander's body).

Protector is essentially a Dragon Slayer / Heavy Metal at 75 tons with better speeds when given identical builds, almost equal armor, and equal weapons but without the jumpjets.

Boar's Head is an Atlas, and automatically is screwed because it is an Atlas (it's a good mech but because it is an Atlas people want to kill it first. They have to.)

Edited by Koniving, 22 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#10 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

I like the Dragons! :angry:

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostAH Osprey 02, on 22 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I like the Dragons! :angry:

I like them too, I just don't like that they look like Grand Dragons and not Dragons.
Spoiler

That aside, Dragons are amazing mechs with the right advanced skill set. But without that skill set, players are in over their head. These heroes are essentially Dragon 1C and 1Ns with hardpoints rearranged, so they are "perfectly balanced" with standard variants rather than "superior" with a niche flaw or "flawed" with some superiority like most other newer hero designs.

#12 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 22 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

First off I will start with Hero Mechs that are plain out horrible IMO.

Pretty Baby
Boar's Head
Jester
Ember
Huginn
Oxide
Fang and Flame

For you starters the first one I ever suggest would be Ilya Muromets. It is well rounded, great armor, etc. It is the nicest Hero mech I own.

Next is Firebrand. I like it because it gives a lot of ballistic space, and energy spaces. It has moderately decent armor, but is a slow hulker too.

For you light and med pilots, Deaths Knell and Cicada X5 (or 4 never can remember) are both decent enough. Knell definitely is worth the money.

Others that are moderately good are-
Dragon Slayer
Heavy Metal
Grid Iron

The rest are not worth much IMO. Just some friendly advice.

I quite like the Jester, I have a 5.00 KDR with it (my best) and a 3.00 W/L (also my best). The COM-TDK and CDA-X5 are both excellent, though I find the TDK significantly more fun to pilot - arms + speed means great strike and weave maneuvers.

Generally however, the CTF-IM is generally the "best" hero you can get.

View Postsneeking, on 22 April 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

bit the bullet last night and dropped another jj off the ember to shoehorn in a 295xl , put the 285 back in me 5kc where it belongs :angry:

there are some shortcomings with the ember but the 295 has taken away the sluggish response in torso movement ( which was still slightly evident on a 285 ) but limited lateral arm range is frustrating.

still recomend it though if your a light pilot then get it, I shouldn't of let the backwards hard points put me off so long they don't totaly ruin it like I expected.

I did notice the Ember has arm swing issues when I faced one in my TDK. At first I was worried, but I quickly realized I out paced and has better swing - he was soon lunch.

#13 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostTurist0AT, on 22 April 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I dont know bro. Cant talk for the others because i dont own them but im a bit supprised you dont have Golden Boy on your bad heroes list, good for me beacuse i love it, but im not in the majority on that one.

It's not that the Golden Boy is a bad mech. It's just that the Golden Boy is essentially a gimped KTO-18 that you have to pay real money for.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

For me the Golden Boy's lower speed limit doesn't matter. I don't like obscene speeds anyway, none of my Kintaros go faster (need lots of room for ammo and heavy launchers) and ultimately for me the Golden Boy is great.

It originally was listed to have significantly higher tube counts (Smurfy's extrapolation from game data) than any other Kintaro, which meant it'd be a superior LRM boat compared to any other model. This however changed between the Kintaro's release and PGI's first major hitbox rework since 2012. They became sort of universal in tube counts.

I suspect the tube count thing might have been the original reason for the speed limitation. That and it's got the dual CT doors; which it's impossible to test but in theory would give you 20% CT protection when closed versus 10% on Kintaros with one door.

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 April 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

which it's impossible to test but in theory would give you 20% CT protection when closed versus 10% on Kintaros with one door.

Only until private matches.
(paying the fee for those is going to be irritating though)

#16 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

The Golden Boy has reduced torso twist and arm twist range, too (25 degrees reduction combined compared to the KTO-18). Maybe it doesn't hurt the effectiveness of the mech in practice as much as it appears to on paper. I don't own Kintaros, so I don't know.

It just seems to me that the reduced twist and reduced max engine is a big tradeoff to get only one extra energy hardpoint in exchange.

#17 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

I just bought a Misery last week during the sale, the matches its been in so far have been nothing but a charm. :3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users