BattleMechs

106 replies to this topic

#1 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

A long time ago, in a beta, far far away... The Raven 3L was a dominant force in the galaxy. The 3L took over planet by planet, using it's center torso only targeting SSRM's and Medium lasers along with lag shields and the powerful ECM, it laid waste to light mech after light mech, and could even fight against larger mechs with some success. Seeing the dominance of the Raven 3L, the devs intervened and increased the size of the Raven's leg hitboxes to enormous proportions to balance out the issue.

Much time has passed since then and HSR was introduced, SRM damage was reduced, SSRM's no longer target CT only, and BAP can now do away with the shield of ECM. However the enlarged hitboxes of the Legs and rearCT of the Raven have now crippled it in the competition between light mechs, it's only safe haven is the ECM that the 3L carries with it, but the other Ravens don't even have that. The Raven pilots have started to notice these problems, and it's driven those pilots to the brink of war...

*Scene opens on the desert planet Tourmaline, camera is on the desert floor looking up into the open sky with crystal spires around the periphery of the view. As the view settles a pack of lights dashes over the camera, followed soon by the thunderous steps of much larger mechs. The camera changes to just behind the light mechs as they flee. The lights begin to turn a corner when the Raven is legged by a shot that didn't even seem to hit it at all, the other light pilots lament the fact they can't help, but to go back is certain death, so they leave the Raven to it's fate. A fate that will replay itself over and over again through the course of this movie, until the hope of a fix arrives.*

Seriously though, fix the hitboxes. It's just aggravating to get both legs blown off by LRM's before my torso armor is even orange. I've also watched myself be shot in the front CT, only to get my back blown out instead of taking any damage to the front.

UPDATE: Did some leg hitbox testing on the Raven. Results are posted on page 3, here's the link: http://mwomercs.com/...09#entry3341809

Edited by Cyner, 02 May 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#2 Otterway

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

I agree, and I LOVED the "Mech Wars" story!

#3 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostOtterway, on 22 April 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

I agree, and I LOVED the "Mech Wars" story!

Thanks! It was pretty spontaneous, but I find putting imagination into words comes naturally. So uh... Let's support hitbox fixes on the Raven together! Now where's my protest sign?

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostCyner, on 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Thanks! It was pretty spontaneous, but I find putting imagination into words comes naturally. So uh... Let's support hitbox fixes on the Raven together! Now where's my protest sign?

Apparently dual AC20 stop Ravens cold!

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Quoth the Raven, "Fix my damn hitboxes, bro."

#6 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

#7 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Are you mad the Raven has Catapult leg hitboxes!? :angry:

Posted Image

#8 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostAmsro, on 22 April 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Are you mad the Raven has Catapult leg hitboxes!? :angry:
-snip-

Wow that pic is accurate. To answer your question, yes that is what currently has me perturbed. It was bad before but the LRM buff has really made it stand out during a match. Much frustration.

Edited by Cyner, 22 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#9 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

I thought there was supposed to be a tuning pass for hitboxes on every mech, and a number of them were revised but then it just kind of stopped, seemingly in favor of the new UI which is actually worse than 1.5 which is a pretty impressive feat to manage.

Edited by Pjwned, 22 April 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#10 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Don't fix it too soon, though - I'm still enjoying grudge-******* the things after all the misery caused to the player base by 3Ls in the past.

#11 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Karmic retribution. In ages long past I destroyed Raven pilots at the height of their power my Jenners hunted you down, one of the few to have any success. This too was in the ancient days, before I was declared exommunicate traitoris. Simple chance has brought me here as I decide to peek in on the sorry state of this game, and I have to say it was worth it. I got a smile right now. Welcome to being normal. If I could destroy them at their peak, imagine what I could do now. Still not worth installing this mess.

https://www.youtube....wDfdJZY#t=1m34s

#12 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

View PostGamgee, on 23 April 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:

Still not worth installing this mess.

It is better now then 1 year ago. Not sure when you stopped playing.

#13 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostPjwned, on 22 April 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

I thought there was supposed to be a tuning pass for hitboxes on every mech, and a number of them were revised but then it just kind of stopped, seemingly in favor of the new UI which is actually worse than 1.5 which is a pretty impressive feat to manage.

Yup, they stopped fixing the hitboxes to do... something else I guess.

I bought a Firestarter last night and I feel nearly invincible in the thing compared to my Raven. It lives so much longer, even in close range combat.

Fix the hitboxes, PGI. Do it for the children, and mother earth.

#14 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

They dont give a frak about Raven's Legs. PGI is making another mek pack for $.

#15 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostGamgee, on 23 April 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:

Karmic retribution. In ages long past I destroyed Raven pilots at the height of their power my Jenners hunted you down, one of the few to have any success. This too was in the ancient days, before I was declared exommunicate traitoris. Simple chance has brought me here as I decide to peek in on the sorry state of this game, and I have to say it was worth it. I got a smile right now. Welcome to being normal. If I could destroy them at their peak, imagine what I could do now. Still not worth installing this mess.

https://www.youtube....wDfdJZY#t=1m34s

DUDE!!!!! DUST514! Man, EvE is industry breaking! I gotta pull out my 100mil Skill point Character from the dusts and get back into it!

#16 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

I agree Raven legs should be looked at, BUT, they're not quite as bad as you think:

#17 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 April 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I agree Raven legs should be looked at, BUT, they're not quite as bad as you think:
-snip-

Eh... I could record and put up every time me and my light pack buddies wipe up a pug while I'm piloting my Ravens but it doesn't mean the hitbox issue isn't as big as I know it is. Of course it's not just the Raven that has hitbox problems. However when your survival depends on being small and having small hitboxes as a result of being a small mech, larger hitboxes are a huge problem.

Notice in the video that the Raven pilot avoided at all costs being the center of attention, instead letting his Jenner buddy get fired at most of the time. Very smart Raven pilot, I'm sure he knows that it's easier for the jenner to not get hit or legged by the laser fire.

#18 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostCyner, on 25 April 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Eh... I could record and put up every time me and my light pack buddies wipe up a pug while I'm piloting my Ravens but it doesn't mean the hitbox issue isn't as big as I know it is. Of course it's not just the Raven that has hitbox problems. However when your survival depends on being small and having small hitboxes as a result of being a small mech, larger hitboxes are a huge problem.

Notice in the video that the Raven pilot avoided at all costs being the center of attention, instead letting his Jenner buddy get fired at most of the time. Very smart Raven pilot, I'm sure he knows that it's easier for the jenner to not get hit or legged by the laser fire.
Absolutely, anyone playing this game long enough and with sufficient skill should be able to put up some interesting videos, however, your own comments point to the 'cruxt' of this issue, namely:

Fixing it correctly vs. Fixing it so ANYONE could do well.

Yes, the Raven pilot was very smart, and that's exactly what we should expect of ALL our players, that they'll learn their machines and play them intelligently, not stupidly, trying to face tank or keep to open field, then ***** about bad hit boxes when they die.

I do believe the Raven leg boxes have some 'legacy' size issues, BUT, it's not something that's super critical or makes the Raven unplayable, just that in some situations makes them, occasionally, overly easy to kill.

They need to fix the legs to be the appropriate size, NOT make them so small, or so difficult to hit, we end up with the next Spider...

#19 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 25 April 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Absolutely, anyone playing this game long enough and with sufficient skill should be able to put up some interesting videos, however, your own comments point to the 'cruxt' of this issue, namely:

Fixing it correctly vs. Fixing it so ANYONE could do well.

Yes, the Raven pilot was very smart, and that's exactly what we should expect of ALL our players, that they'll learn their machines and play them intelligently, not stupidly, trying to face tank or keep to open field, then ***** about bad hit boxes when they die.

I do believe the Raven leg boxes have some 'legacy' size issues, BUT, it's not something that's super critical or makes the Raven unplayable, just that in some situations makes them, occasionally, overly easy to kill.

They need to fix the legs to be the appropriate size, NOT make them so small, or so difficult to hit, we end up with the next Spider...

I definitely want the problem to be fixed correctly. Otherwise there's no point to playing lights, the thrill of being very lightly armored and having to survive against much larger foes is pretty great. However there is a difference between a challenge and being offed because of hitbox issues. I think it is super critical. Is the Raven unplayable? Of course not. But in many many situations it makes them overly easy to kill.

No other class is as dependent on it's movement as lights, the Raven is the only light that's completely easy to leg and reduce to 40kph movement speed. Do I want the next spider? NO! But I also don't want to be disadvantaged so highly that when I'm attacking in coordination with other lights I can't draw any enemy fire because I would expect to get legged instantly.

I just started playing Firestarters and honestly it's like god-mode in comparison to the Raven in survivability. The Raven has been my favorite IS light mech since I first saw it in GBL So I play it a heck of a lot. I'm not an amazing pilot but I'd like to say that I at least know when there's a problem and the Raven has a major problem involving it's leg and rearCT hitboxes.

#20 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

I like my Raven pretty well, but had not used them in a long time, so the Hitbox work is not noticeable to me. Mostly, I just run a scout/spotting/ECM package and try to stay out of the way, so that might be part of it too; well, that or all that bad aimers in my bracket :).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users