• 308 posts
  • LocationOn the beach!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

I have a baseline for speed, that keeps my "in the game."

Lights - 150
Mediums - 100
Heavies - 80
Assaults - 60

Mediums are quite viable, but they need the speed to be able to move quickly to where they can influence the battle. Medium weapon boats are light and LRM fodder.

#42 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 April 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

How about we lynch the mech designer for making many of the Mediums so big in size?

LRM Mediums are my preference right now. 2D2 has been my to go mech but Griffin-3M is equally good. Pretend you are piloting the Trenchbucket.

XL engine all the way, baby!

I still get very frustrated about scaling in this game. Mediums could be right in the mix with proper scaling.

View PostxLAVAx, on 23 April 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

I have a baseline for speed, that keeps my "in the game."

Lights - 150
Mediums - 100
Heavies - 80
Assaults - 60

Mediums are quite viable, but they need the speed to be able to move quickly to where they can influence the battle. Medium weapon boats are light and LRM fodder.

Problem is, once you are getting to 100kph, you are starting to give up something load out wise.

90kph (with speed tweak) seems to be the sweet spot.

#43 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

Mediums will rise and fall with SRMs. Right now they are bad, so most mediums are bad.

This is a blackjack I have been running lately. Not a mech that is ever going to drop a G, but it can do some work.

#44 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 23 April 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

Mediums will rise and fall with SRMs. Right now they are bad, so most mediums are bad.

This is a blackjack I have been running lately. Not a mech that is ever going to drop a G, but it can do some work.

Even with HSR fixed, SRM's need a bump in damage.

They are like using an LBX right now, damage spreads out way too much.

#45 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 April 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

I still get very frustrated about scaling in this game. Mediums could be right in the mix with proper scaling.

Instead of fixing old mechs, PGI's mech designers are busy making new mechs for $$$. Sad, really.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 April 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#46 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

You must be at the upper ELO. That range is filled with tryhards who capitalize on every perceived advantage in an attempt to win at any cost, even if their precious 2AC5/2PPC Victor would merely be one of the "pretty good" builds at the medium level. (And didn't the recent AC5 slowdown take care of that?)

At lower ELOs, you see almost every chassis and weapon there is. The game is a lot more fun, and a lot more balanced, at those ranges.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 23 April 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#47 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 23 April 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

You must be at the upper ELO. That range is filled with tryhards who capitalize on every perceived advantage in an attempt to win at any cost, even if their precious 2AC5/2PPC Victor would merely be one of the "pretty good" builds at the medium level. (And didn't the recent AC5 slowdown take care of that?)

At lower ELOs, you see almost every chassis and weapon there is. The game is a lot more fun, and a lot more balanced, at those ranges.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

#48 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 April 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Problem is, once you are getting to 100kph, you are starting to give up something load out wise.
90kph (with speed tweak) seems to be the sweet spot.

That is because the game developers focus too much on lore garbage and need to make adjustments according to in game play. Mediums simply arent fast enough in game.

#49 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

That is because the game developers focus too much on lore garbage and need to make adjustments according to in game play. Mediums simply arent fast enough in game.

I feel like in the end...you either need to make Medium's smaller or make Medium's faster (without hurting their loadout's).

Otherwise they are always going to be under represented.

#50 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

There lack of speed will still be their biggest downfall since lights can run circles around them.

However, this time the team will have its own guarantee of lights to counter, or similarly harass slower 'Mechs on the other side. Plus, circling isn't nearly as effective when there's a wingman for each target, especially if there's a hard limit on lights. Personally, I like my mediums fast, but other players may find playstyle niches that aren't possible with 1,100-ton teams.

We could see some very interesting questions being asked about "What are your teams's lights mediums/heavies/assaults doing?"

#51 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 April 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

I feel like in the end...you either need to make Medium's smaller or make Medium's faster (without hurting their loadout's).
Otherwise they are always going to be under represented.

They need both to be smaller and faster. I was in the 9s bolt and had a Treb look right into my cockpit on level ground....

#52 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

A bit smaller would be enough, imho.

#53 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

They need both to be smaller and faster. I was in the 9s bolt and had a Treb look right into my cockpit on level ground....

Like I said...the scaling is terrible.

I had someone mention it to me this weekend when I was in my Shadow Hawk, he couldn't believe the view from his Awesome.

But the Art Director or whoever he is has been pretty adament that they have no plans to fix it. At least that was my take from his recent posts.

The worst part...isn't that they choose not to fix it...but they continue to release them with the same scaling issues.

#54 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

I also thin the number of mediums you see depends on elo and time of day yesterday when i was dropping in my griff i went 12 games in a row where there were less than three assaults per team it was all mediums and t bolts

#55 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Not as endangered as I'd like, I run into way too many cicadas and hunches for my liking..they're not that big but they hit hard.
Trebuchet and Blackjack are the only ones I don't see several of on a daily basis.

#56 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

They will be needed in order to get matches to start. Soon PGI will provide bonuses to pilots in mediums in order to bribe the needed numbers to get the matches going.

#57 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 23 April 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Not as endangered as I'd like, I run into way too many cicadas and hunches for my liking..they're not that big but they hit hard.
Trebuchet and Blackjack are the only ones I don't see several of on a daily basis.

I'd say for me, I tend to see Hawks and Griff's most. Followed by Wolverines. Which makes sense, since they are 55 tonners that can jump.

Then it's Kintaro's and Cicada's, which are common.

After that it's Blackjack, Hunch's and Cent's which are more infrequent.

And Treb is by far the rarest of the group.

View PostScreech, on 23 April 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

They will be needed in order to get matches to start. Soon PGI will provide bonuses to pilots in mediums in order to bribe the needed numbers to get the matches going.

I am curious how that's going to go. I keep hearing a lot of the Premades are going to be running Assaults/Heavies to make sure that the top end of their force is competant.

So that'll leave solo's to fill the medium slots.

#58 Octantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Wow this thing blew up over night. Historically I have a W/L of 2:1 with my mediums so I guess that puts me in a higher ELO? I never considered myself elite; figured just a bit above average. I'm glad to see they are still being played.

Yeah 3/3/3/3 will bring them back and that makes me happy.

Another problem I see with mediums but can't really be fixed is that you have no clue what map you are dropping in until you get there. Because of that you bring your brawler to Alpine or your LRM boat to River City. Now this is an issue for just about every mech on the field but for mediums you don't have the luxury of having a multitude of weapons to chose from. Typically it's one primary weapon and 2 secondary with both of them having roughly the same range (and I love this). If you are out of your range profile you are screwed. With assaults and some heavies you have at least one option at any range.

Thanks for making me fell better.

#59 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostOctantis, on 23 April 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Wow this thing blew up over night. Historically I have a W/L of 2:1 with my mediums so I guess that puts me in a higher ELO? I never considered myself elite; figured just a bit above average. I'm glad to see they are still being played.

Yeah 3/3/3/3 will bring them back and that makes me happy.

Another problem I see with mediums but can't really be fixed is that you have no clue what map you are dropping in until you get there. Because of that you bring your brawler to Alpine or your LRM boat to River City. Now this is an issue for just about every mech on the field but for mediums you don't have the luxury of having a multitude of weapons to chose from. Typically it's one primary weapon and 2 secondary with both of them having roughly the same range (and I love this). If you are out of your range profile you are screwed. With assaults and some heavies you have at least one option at any range.

Thanks for making me fell better.

My best mech is my Shadow Hawk, for sure. I seem to average about 600 damage and a few kills, barring a major mess up.

But I'm not sure that I'm in a high ELO. I might be preying on bads.

#60 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

True - but the Treb is only 23% lighter - but a lot skinnier. Frankly - if you look at the cubed to square ratio - the mediums aren't too small in comparison to heavies/assaults - it's lights that are too small in comparison to everything else.

(though of note - I actually think that every mech in this game is oversized - to compare to a real life thing - an Abrams tank is just over 66 tons - and it's nowhere near as big as a heavy mech even taking into account it's long instead of tall)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users