#81 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Good mechs are ones that are good all the time especially for new players. IMO Cents do not fit that description.

I usually don't agree with you when it comes your distaste for medium mechs, but I have to agree that the Cent takes more skill to master. It does suffer from a lack of hardpoints and is too easily disarmed.

But it's the exception, not the rule with regard to medium chassis. Mediums with jump jets have become my favorite mechs to pilot. Using JJs as a defensive tool is what makes them deadly to slow moving assaults and heavies. I try to keep my around 90-110 kph.

I still say that some, not all, mediums make a great 1st mech. It teaches the new player to be a smart player and plan their attack.

Jody

#82 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Are mediums an endangered species?

Yes, because there are no chicken-walkers :unsure:

#83 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

800 Damage in my CDAs
700 Damage in my HBK
600+ Damage in my BJ1

It's possible but its way harder than just taking an Assault, looking forward tow 3/3/3/3

#84 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Lots of players put way too much emphasis on meta builds and frankly they're all overrated. Many pilots in the FRR use mediums, myself included. In fact that's about the only class I play other than a few lights and my Jaegers. Blackjacks play like mini Jaegers - more of a support role, Hunchies - great for a brawl. Trebs are great for flanking maneuvers, hit and run, keeping the enemy off balance. Kintaros are GREAT at swatting lights and if you have to go up against heavier mechs then switch your SSRMs to chain fire so you keep their cockpit shaking at all times. Shadowhawks are sort of a jack of all trades, can sport many different loadouts and are thus capable of filling any role - same goes for Wolverines. Griffins are either great light hunters, or mobile fire support - fast moving LRM platform. Cicadas are either good light killers as they can keep pace with most or strikers - sniping, hit and run etc. Cents are best played as SRM brawlers, stick close to the assaults or heavies as they push in and steal their kills!

When you're in the higher elo games and you're in a medium, if you're not going for the guys side torso or cockpit you're probably going for their legs - that's usually what I do anyway. I don't care how much fire power your bigger mech has, when you're legged you're out. A medium or light pilot will close in behind you and finish you off or just leave you there for later :unsure:.
In summary, never underestimate a medium!

Edited by Tabu 73, 26 April 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#85 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Please allow the player in this video to show you doubters how it's done :unsure:.

We're out there...hunting...

Edited by Tabu 73, 23 April 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#86 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

When I came back to the game, I was getting stomped in my 4SP. It was a fantastic 'mech the last time I played in 2012, but it seemed far too weak for the heavy-centric game this has become.

But now that I've learned a fair bit more about the game, I think I'm going to pull the 4SP back out and give her a run tonight. I've been enjoying the hell out of my laser-boated Jug-9S, but I think it's gonna' be a Hunchback night tonight.

#87 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 April 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

QFT....a single VHAC is all you need to ruin some ones day.
but the Hunchback....my dear... the hunchback...don't have the armor to go face to face armor to armor with a fresh heavy mech....or even an Assault...

its also stated in the Lore.... hunchbacks are perfect 2nd line brawler.... great to clean the mess up that is left when two front lines hit each other. (but maybe this is what you meant by "piloting intelligently"

But, you're not meant to go head to head with a fresh Heavy or Assault. In fact, if you do that, you deserve the fiery death you're about the cop.

The vulture role is very, very applicable here. The Hunchback excels at taking out those already damaged, or have wandered too far off from their main group. Obviously don't fight one-on-one with an Assault; that's not what Mediums are for. But you can still out run one of those big buggers, despite the fact my hunchie lumbers around at 70kph.

Though I did recently purchase an Atlas DDC, just to try out an Assault. Whereas as a Medium, you know you're not the biggest ****** on the battlefield and you have to be careful, I suddenly found I was god. I wiped the floor with anybody wanting a one-on-one. And nobody expects that Atlas to rush you; they seem to think I'll stay behind cover.

I think that's the problem; people play Assaults, they have massive amounts of armour and weaponry, then they come to mediums, and wonder where all that armour went. You're not SUPPOSED to be tough and powerful, nor are you meant to fight fresh heavies. Know your role and you shall succeed.

#88 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Well we are getting 3-3-3-3 so there are going to be mediums

and longer queue times as we have to wait for mediums... because theyre endangered.

#89 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 23 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

But, you're not meant to go head to head with a fresh Heavy or Assault. In fact, if you do that, you deserve the fiery death you're about the cop.

The vulture role is very, very applicable here. The Hunchback excels at taking out those already damaged, or have wandered too far off from their main group. Obviously don't fight one-on-one with an Assault; that's not what Mediums are for. But you can still out run one of those big buggers, despite the fact my hunchie lumbers around at 70kph.

Though I did recently purchase an Atlas DDC, just to try out an Assault. Whereas as a Medium, you know you're not the biggest ****** on the battlefield and you have to be careful, I suddenly found I was god. I wiped the floor with anybody wanting a one-on-one. And nobody expects that Atlas to rush you; they seem to think I'll stay behind cover.

I think that's the problem; people play Assaults, they have massive amounts of armour and weaponry, then they come to mediums, and wonder where all that armour went. You're not SUPPOSED to be tough and powerful, nor are you meant to fight fresh heavies. Know your role and you shall succeed.

Amen to that!

For the record, the Hunchback 4P with 9ML will go 97kph with speed tweak. 45pt alpha strike ladies and gents! A lance full of those equals 180pts of focussed fire - nothing survives that.

#90 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 April 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

No, in the grand scheme of things, you can say the Cent isn't a good mech now. Before it was.

Just like the Splatcat was amazing before, and isn't now.

Even Awesome's and Dragon's had their times to shine.

Some of the Awesome's used to put the fear of god into me. I've always mostly piloted mediums and the ones with 3+ srm's and a bunch of lasers were just deadly (Awesome's that is). Splatcat's were also more scary than ac40 Jagers have ever been and I remember when the 3L was so broken I stopped using it because I felt like a terrible person. Hmm what else... Boomcat's then the Gausscat's, Boomcat was a laugh but slow. I think I've played through almost all the Lurmgeddon's as well, at least a match or two :unsure:

Cent's have a very special place in my mechbay but I feel are being replaced by the Wolv and the Griff. Am very interested in seeing how 3/3/3/3 plays out as well as more Srm fixes. Clan mediums are tempting me a lot at the moment but I need more info before I put any money down(again)...

Edited by LittleGrim, 23 April 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#91 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

I barely see any mediums. Maybe one or two a match including myself. Lights are also pretty scarce at least from what I have seen.

It's going to be nice when we get 3/3/3/3.

#92 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 23 April 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

I play my Treb 3C all the time. It's my favorite Medium hands down. XL 360 for a top speed of 128 kph, 4 MLs, 2 Streak 2s, AMS, BAP, 14 DHS and almost max armor. No one expects a Treb to be that fast. And it can take on lights easily. Almost a 2/1 KD ratio in it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5360fa0058d6272

Nice...I ran a 3C like that a long time ago also.

No one expects a Treb at all, really...

#93 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Mediums will come off the endangered list once SRMs have more reliable hit detection.

#94 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 23 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Pretty sure you used the brawling configuration? Including ECM Cover?
Try to make the AS7-D work with brawling configuration - and we can talk :( (oh its possible - but without magical cloak that helps you in the moments where you are exposed while closing - its much much harder.

Most heavys have more firepower - your armor comes at the price of huge hitboxes mixed with the turn rate of a rock - you are as dead as with an Hunchback when you get targeted by focus fire.

There is no class - hardly a specific BattleMech where you can say - take this and everything becomes easy win.

But I admit - I don't stand to wait - my Wolverine is always one of the first that made contact.... and of course this time the enemy has full armor - and your SRMs do so little to damage them currently.

(BTW: i love it to pop ECM Atlas with LRMs.... did become a sport of me - ands always a good feeling to think about the face of that guy when there are LRMs incomming :ph34r:

#95 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostKhobai, on 23 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

and longer queue times as we have to wait for mediums... because theyre endangered.

More incentive to run mediums because of less wait time. Also according to pgi they fixed a bug in the coding and the hit ratio of SRMs will be improving because of it which will improve medium viability because they have so many missile hardpoints.

#96 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

More incentive to run mediums because of less wait time. Also according to pgi they fixed a bug in the coding and the hit ratio of SRMs will be improving because of it which will improve medium viability because they have so many missile hardpoints.

SRMs getting fixed will be the major reason to play mediums again. But it sounds like we have to wait 3 more weeks for ALL the SRM fixes to finally get into the game.

#97 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Oh - the SRMs are not fixed yet?
Explain the terrible difference in battlefield performance (somewhere between good and really really bad) i have encountered yesterday - (i have to look for the ping next time)

although regarding the "good" scores - there will be rivers of tears when SRMs will work again

Edited by Karl Streiger, 23 April 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#98 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Up until the 3/3/3/3 is implemented it may seem that mediums are dead, but that should give them new life. As to the "Instant Coring" that will continue to be an issue until the Devs make grouped weapons spread their damage (Assuming we can convince them to do it). Right now being cored quickly is not only a problem for mediums, but heavies and assaults as well. It might not happen every match, but my Atlas does seem to get cored alot more than it should. I would understand being cored after several salvos by several mechs, but currently one mechwarrior who simply snaps off his shot before we do is nearly always guaranteed to core whatever he shot at due to grouped weapons always hitting their mark.

So don't give up on them, yes, I may pilot an Atlas now, but I also plan to pilot meduims as I am rather fond of the Griffin and a few other mediums. The heavies not so much, but mostly because the heavies I want to pilot are all "Unseen" (Marauder, Warhammer, Crusader, Archer, Rifleman) and I truly lament their loss. And my PC has fits any time I try to pilot a light, it just can't keep up with their speedy movements for me to use them effectively.

#99 L A V A

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 308 posts
  • LocationOn the beach!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

I personally wouldn't worry about mediums once the 3 Rule comes into effect.

In general, the lights, mediums and heavies, which can all move upwards to or better than 100 kph if you make them correctly, are going to rule the battlefield.

Assaults, OTH, moving at 50 kph are going to become the new "mediums." :(

#100 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostWolfways, on 23 April 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Are mediums an endangered species?

Yes, because there are no chicken-walkers :P