Salvage Collection - Post Game Minigame

3 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

I believe almost everyone will agree that after 10 matches on each map, the game becomes repetitive, monotonous, grindy, etc. There's still no promised CW, which would add meaning to matches, role warfare is non existent, meta ruins any attempt at sporting a "fun new build".

The game "kinda" aches for something new and different, and by "kinda" I mean seriously.
Therefore, I've got a simple implementation proposition; a post game minigame for collecting salvage.

Concept:
  • After the round ends, a timer is given.
  • After the timer ends, functional enemy mechs are removed from the field.
  • Remaining players are given a 2-3min window to collect all the salvage they can from destroyed mechs.
  • Those who chose to leave, if on wining team, get a small compensation. Anyone who stays, shares the salvage, even dead players.
  • When aimed at, parts of mech wrecks light up if they've anything salvageable.
  • Simple left click will select the mech part for salvage, place a small marker on the map and a beacon on the wreck, to notify other players that they don't have to search it.
  • For the mech part to light up, player needs to be within 100m of the wreck.
  • "Round" ends when the timer ends. Anyone who leaves in the mean time, or doesn't commit an action(keypress) for a certain time - is afk, is denied his share.
  • All collected salvage; armor, weapons, ammo, heatsinks, engines, extra equipment, is divided among the remaining players in the form of cbills.

What we're supposed to get out of this?
Take a break between matches, discover shiny treasures, fluff.

#2 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

would indeed offer incentive to stay around during a match. I saw in another thread someone offered a suggestion for salvage. The suggestion was that during the match, the components you destroy you can salvage (but only if you win, losers would obviously leave the battle without salvage rights.) These parts might not just be component parts, they may be like an arm or a leg to a hunchback. Once you have acquired all parts through the salvage system, say for the hunchback, then you could go to the mech store and buy that mech for very cheap (simulating just hiring someone to put it together.) So essentially the salvage system gives the benefit in the end of purchasing a mech for much cheaper.

#3 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Greetings all,

Once CW has arrived, Front and Planetary warfare is here, and ownership of planets, battlefields, bases is incorporated into the game we may see something similar to this.

Salvage rights were normally part of the contract system, but greatly depended on the outcome of the battle and who "owned the field". Additionally, if those that could gather any salvage had the means to actually get it off planet. Did they have a dropship, did they have a weight restriction that did not allow for taking extra or additional "stuff" with them. Are they in a location that is "sanctioned" by there Faction or deep into enemy territory, with little resources.

Fluff wise, salvage by House Factions was not a really big deal, but Merc's relied on this process quite a bit and was embedded in all contracts. (and some depended on this element to keep the up the supply of parts for there stable.)
- currently everything in-game is melted down and converted to a cash value to balance it out for the players.
- Damage done is the prime method for this conversion.

Your suggestion could lead to early deaths just sticking around to farm salvage. And not really where I would like to see this process go.
- Keep in mind that as we progress to Launch Module, the team you drop with for a match stays together till either you leave or the group is broken up.
- Having pilots run around collecting parts/salvage would delay any attempt to get another match started.
~ additionally, there's this little thing with Clan vs IS battles where if a pilot does not own any Clan Mech's he can't even pick up Clan salvage.
** Keep in mind that the longer the players are "on the Battlefield", the longer the Game Server has to stay active for those players. Very costly as it could be used to start another match for different players. **

Just some thoughts,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 23 April 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#4 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I think I'd rather see a salvage mini-game in the mechlab. You put up X CBills, you get X CBill value in random equipment. Maybe make it so you only have one "spin of the wheel" per match, like a token. 10 matches, 10 tokens to save or use. Give the game ~20 seconds to think, then a popup with your acquired loot (and any leftover CBills not allocated to loot).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users