A Noobs Problems, Help Plz

Help Me

15 replies to this topic

#1 LordKutter

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Locationalaska

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

i resently found MWO and was in awe over it, im a veteran played from back in the days of mechwarrior for the super nintendo, when i installed it and tryed running it i never seem to have a problen until i try to change my settings, the screen itself is a window and its slightly larger then my monitor, but when i try to make it fit it, it eather zooms in so much i cant reset it and have to reinstall it, or it becomes small so i cant even see anything, i can deal with it not being able to chage to a full screen but i cant change the brightness eather, when i tryed it made the window size about 2' by 3' its irratateing cause if i cant see it i cant play it and i want to so much, what worse is i cant reset the settings with my keybord so i have to reinstall and repatch all over again just to play, so far i was only able to play a single match... this makes me sad, im sure this isnt the right form to put this but i am a newb to MWO might not be to MW but still i am a newb to it and i need help plz

#2 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Wait... why can't you go full screen? If you select settings and go to video options, you can select between windowed, full window, and full screen, right next to where you set the resolution.

#3 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

check the resolution of your monitor and try to match that as close to possible in the video options, then like qki said try running it in windowed, full window, or full screen.

#4 LordKutter

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Locationalaska

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

my monitor is an old hewlett packard pavilion m50, my resalotion can only be set as one of two 1024 x 768, or 800x 600... when ever i do anything what so ever to my settings in game it makes the window of it very small and i cant undo it, so i have to reinstall and update, atm im haveing to proform that for the fith time. i cant play with a low brightness like this and i cant shage the settings, without it makeing the play window so small or so zoomed in its like only haveing a few inchs to play with as it cuts off most of the screen, i have widows 7, and my monitor though is small seems to work well with any other program so i cant figure out why its a problem

#5 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

It sounds like your resolution is below the minimal resolution of the MWO client. Try asking support if it is even available. Be prepared for the possibility that it will not be -- the values seem hardcoded. You may need a higher-res monitor or a relatively modern TV to play.

Edited by Modo44, 23 April 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#6 LordKutter

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Locationalaska

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

this makes me sad, but i thank you all, all but mailin. Mailin wasnt helpful unlike the rest of you... the funny thing is i can play it if i dont touch any of the settings, but its odd that i can, i think it shouldnt work at all if that was the cause..

#7 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostLordKutter, on 23 April 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

this makes me sad, but i thank you all, all but mailin. Mailin wasnt helpful unlike the rest of you... the funny thing is i can play it if i dont touch any of the settings, but its odd that i can, i think it shouldnt work at all if that was the cause..

Posting in the tech support forum would likely help...with your current specs, so a tech dev can advise you. You can find said forum here.

#8 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

you can try to head to the dir in which the game is installed, and make a user.cfg file (using notepad).

put in the following:

VievMode = 2
r_Brightness = 0.700000
r_Height = 768
r_Width = 1024

save the file and start the game. See if it helps.

the file should be in the game's main dir, where omicron.log is located, and the value for brightness should be a number between 0 and 1, written with a 6th decimal

Edited by qki, 23 April 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Mailin wasn't helpful because I didn't want to spend the time deciphering your post. If you used punctuation and capital letters, I would have been more forgiving about the spelling errors, and actually, very, very helpful.

#10 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

I can't offer too much help with getting your setting correct. But I can tell you that instead of reinstalling the game you go into the game's folder and delete the settings. It will go back to the default settings.

I believe it is in a folder name "users" in the piranha games folder. Just delete the one with your user name on it and leave the rest alone.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostRouken, on 23 April 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I can't offer too much help with getting your setting correct. But I can tell you that instead of reinstalling the game you go into the game's folder and delete the settings. It will go back to the default settings.

I believe it is in a folder name "users" in the piranha games folder. Just delete the one with your user name on it and leave the rest alone.

Yes, this.

#12 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

View Postmailin, on 23 April 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Mailin wasn't helpful because I didn't want to spend the time deciphering your post. If you used punctuation and capital letters, I would have been more forgiving about the spelling errors, and actually, very, very helpful.

As others have dealt with the OP's issue, I would like to address this.

Don't post. See? No need to even comment if you don't want to "decipher" the post.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostLordKutter, on 23 April 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

my monitor is an old hewlett packard pavilion m50, my resalotion can only be set as one of two 1024 x 768, or 800x 600... when ever i do anything what so ever to my settings in game it makes the window of it very small and i cant undo it, so i have to reinstall and update, atm im haveing to proform that for the fith time. i cant play with a low brightness like this and i cant shage the settings, without it makeing the play window so small or so zoomed in its like only haveing a few inchs to play with as it cuts off most of the screen, i have widows 7, and my monitor though is small seems to work well with any other program so i cant figure out why its a problem

By any chance are you having trouble typing in the "Internet Explorer" window when you go to write on the forum here? If so I might suggest Chrome or Firefox (generally more secure, and much more compatible with MWO's forums too).

That said it sounds like a new monitor is in order whenever it's feasibly possible. The lowest resolution the game can get is "1024x768."

But without being able reach the settings window that is hard to do.

View Postqki, on 23 April 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

make a user.cfg file (using notepad) in MWO's folder
put in the following:

VievMode = 2
r_Brightness = 0.700000
r_Height = 768
r_Width = 1024

save the file and start the game. See if it helps.
the file should be in the game's main dir, where omicron.log is located, and the value for brightness should be a number between 0 and 1, written with a 6th decimal

I copy/pasted what Qki here said into mine and got a 1024x768 window. So this should work for you, too.

Once you do that, you can hit "ALT + Enter" to get it full screen and fix the options as you like.

#14 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

You'd probably get a full screen right away if I hadn't made a typo in there.

Should be ViewMode = 2
not VievMode

#15 LordKutter

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Locationalaska

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thank you all for you help. I have been able to play because of one simple thing, and i think who said it. Alt + enter i wont go back and reread who said it but i think you from the bottem of my cold heart. Mailin i hope this one meets with your apoveal that is if you see this my final post for this topic...

Lord Kutter out...

#16 Munin Ravensong

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

Alt enter (windows command to fullscreen active window) works too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users