536 replies to this topic

#21 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 23 April 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Its cool if you want to play by yourself, and it is something I do pretty much all of the time myself as well. The problem is you, the OP, and others like you that have done a great deal of damage to this game by demonizing the group players and unjustly putting the blame of your own failings at their feet. If this game is striving for nothing more than being your basic FPS then there are plenty of better alternatives to this one, but if the devs want a robust community with factions(inherently a group thing) fighting for control of the galaxy they need to embrace the groups or they are doomed to fail.

WTF are you talking about? The issue is that the player base isnt big enough to support groups and PUGs. The Dev SHOULD be striving for a basic FPS. That is what brings in the player base which also brings in money. Look at the direction Modern Warfare took. Its designed directly for casual and lower skilled players.

#22 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

WTF are you talking about? The issue is that the player base isnt big enough to support groups and PUGs. The Dev SHOULD be striving for a basic FPS. That is what brings in the player base which also brings in money. Look at the direction Modern Warfare took. Its designed directly for casual and lower skilled players.

You might think it's designed that way...but really the "upper tier" players are playing on teams, and belong to guilds that were started for a totally different FPS over 15 years ago.

I'm not saying the option to drop solo shouldn't exist- I do it myself if I can't find a group quickly or if I am testing out builds that I am worried will drag a team down....I just get testy hearing people complain about "pre-mades", the benefits of being on a team far outweigh the downsides, and furthermore it's fun.

Edited by Pygar, 23 April 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#23 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 23 April 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Its cool if you want to play by yourself, and it is something I do pretty much all of the time myself as well. The problem is you, the OP, and others like you that have done a great deal of damage to this game by demonizing the group players and unjustly putting the blame of your own failings at their feet. If this game is striving for nothing more than being your basic FPS then there are plenty of better alternatives to this one, but if the devs want a robust community with factions(inherently a group thing) fighting for control of the galaxy they need to embrace the groups or they are doomed to fail.

Really?
Seems to to me like it was the vet premades in coordinated meta mechs stomping my newbie friends in trial/barely customized mechs into the the dirt when they tried this game out.

We didn't actually get to play together much due to work/schedules...and the fact that they decided the game was garbage in less than a week or two.

Besides that,how would it harm to groups if there was a solo drop only queue? if you want to group,join the group queue and fight other premades.

Just have a random wait interval(a few seconds or so) in the matchmaker algorithm to botch sync drop attempts (because you know that's the first thing the tryhards will do) and it would be fine.

They could even kill 2 birds with one stone.The group queue could be opened up to allow groups of any size,so people would stop complaining about not being to play with more than 4 of their friend....and solo's could have a place to not get pugstomped by vet premades in meta mechs.

please,tell me how this hurts the game in any way?

The argument basically boils down to "But then we (the premades) wouldn't have enough pug cannon fodder to stomp on and our epeens would deflate!!! =( =( =("

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#24 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 23 April 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Besides that,how would it harm to groups if there was a solo drop only queue? if you want to group,join the group queue and fight other premades.

They could even kill 2 birds with one stone.The group queue could be opened up to allow groups of any size,so people would stop complaining about not being to play with more than 4 of their friend....and solo's could have a place to not get pugstomped by vet premades in meta mechs.

Congratulations. You've stumbled upon the solution that teams have been asking for for about 2 years now.

#25 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

You might think it's designed that way...but really the "upper tier" players are playing on teams, and belong to guilds that were started for a totally different FPS over 15 years ago.

So what! The game is failing, the population is too small! If you want this game to survivie, it needs to follow Modern Warfare since is the biggest FPS.

#26 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

So what! The game is failing, the population is too small! If you want this game to survivie, it needs to follow Modern Warfare since is the biggest FPS.

You sound a lot like the MWO design team...and are part of the reason people are getting dissatisfied with simplified stale gameplay.

#27 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 April 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Congratulations. You've stumbled upon the solution that teams have been asking for for about 2 years now.

Stumbled on? hardly,I've been saying the same thing since closed beta.

*also,just to add.I'm not in any way against people playing a game with their friends.I don't have anything against anyone wanting to play with friends.I also agree that community and team orgs are what keeps a game alive way past it's normal expiration date.I just don't think premades with metamechs should ever be put in the same game as uncoordinated pugs in trial mechs.*

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#28 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 23 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Sumbled on? hardly,I've been saying the same thing since closed beta.

Sorry, whole lotta sardonic in my head right now, reading the latest NGNG transcript. Either way, it's a good idea.

#29 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 April 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

You sound a lot like the MWO design team...and are part of the reason people are getting dissatisfied with simplified stale gameplay.

So you would rather have a game fail than have it become popular? That makes total sense.....

Its actually better for the game as a whole if purists leave.

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#30 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

So you would rather have a game fail than have it become popular? That makes total sense.....

Its actually better for the game as a whole if purists leave.

Hey, according to PGI business is booming. If you love modern warfare so much, go play that instead.

#31 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

If their goal is to go for a Modern Warfare clone then why play this instead of Modern Warfare? They should be going for the MMO money from guilds/clans/factions/houses that are fighting for control.

Really?
Seems to to me like it was the vet premades in coordinated meta mechs stomping my newbie friends in trial/barely customized mechs into the the dirt when they tried this game out.

The premade boogieman is mostly just a myth. I'm sorry but you and your friends were looking for someone to blame. Either way I have had friends leave as well, and you know why? It was because of the lack of support for group options, and a lack of content beyond a mindless series of slow paced FPS matches with few options for even interacting with the players on your team.

We didn't actually get to play together much due to work/schedules...and the fact that they decided the game was garbage in less than a week or two.

That is unfortunate, but it isn't the fault of the group players who are also just trying to play together. It comes off as you saying your friends aren't sticking around so people that actually get to play with their friends shouldn't be allowed to.

That's fine and something that they should probably add, but perhaps ask for that without all of the nonsense about how evil groups are. Separate queues are something the groups have asked for, but the devs have been reluctant to do it so if anyone deserves your ire it is the devs not the group players.

Just have a random wait interval(a few seconds or so) in the matchmaker algorithm to botch sync drop attempts (because you know that's the first thing the tryhards will do) and it would be fine.

Sync dropping happens because people want to play together, but are limited to four players because of people whining that groups are evil and the devs can't bother to add separate queues.

Again, this has been asked for and the devs have said no so stop bitching about groups and start joining them in their frustration with the devs.

please,tell me how this hurts the game in any way?
Separate queues would only hurt the game if the community is too small to support it, and given all of the devs poor choices in that regard it probably is too small.

#32 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

The comic alone is plenty good of an explaination, but it leaves out that even the group players get bored of the stagnant gameplay when they're winning ridiculous amounts of the time.

Solo only pug queue + free form group queue with opt in/opt out for pug players who want to play in that environment. There you go, easiest fix you can do.

Edited by Monky, 23 April 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#33 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Actually, if you know your mechwarrior history...the game carried on for a decade after Microsoft stopped publishing MW4- the open source community got a hold of the MW4 platform and made the "MekTek" bundles (I still had MW4/MekTek installed on my rig up until about a year ago), and then in more recent history the "Living Legends" version built off of Cryengine carried the torch until MW:O was made- this is the wrong game to tell the fanbase "the sky is falling!" to....we'll believe it when we see it.

Edited by Pygar, 23 April 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#34 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Actually, if you know your mechwarrior history...the game carried on for a decade after Microsoft stopped publishing MW4- the open source community got a hold of the MW4 platform and made the "MekTek" bundles, and then in more recent history the "Legends" version built off of Cryengine carried the torch until MW:O was made- this is the wrong game to tell the fanbase "the sky is falling!" to....we'll believe it when we see it.

I started playing the table top when I was a kid and MW on my Packard Hell PC.... Lore and purist have no place when it comes to online play. This is a F2P FPS, not a standard MMO or standard FPS that requires upfront money. F2P games thrive on new players with new money. Just look at LoL.

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 April 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hey, according to PGI business is booming. If you love modern warfare so much, go play that instead.

Perfect example of someone part of the problem and not the solution. If you want to play a game based on Lore and out dated ideas, go play the table top....

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 April 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#35 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

I started playing the table top when I was a kid and MW on my Packard Hell PC.... Lore and purist have no place when it comes to online play. This is a F2P FPS, not a standard MMO or standard FPS that requires upfront money. F2P games thrive on new players with new money. Just look at LoL.

Perfect example of someone part of the problem and not the solution. If you want to play a game based on Lore and out dated ideas, go play the table top....

Pure unadulterated nonsense.

#36 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Believe it or not, the world doesn't need another shite CoD clone...plus Hawken already has that covered as far as Modern Warfare with mech skins...and they do it better than MWO could. It's even prettier.

#37 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Greetings,

While I have invited two people to the game, only one continues to play. The older one, a peer friend at work, simply couldn't get use to the driving mechanics (sad for him, but that was all motor skills). The second person, my 7 year old son, who simple sucks at the game, will not quit because he loves the action even when he scores no points and dies early (he likes to watch me or others play - probably soaking in knowledge).

As for me, I am a solo player through and through (my son and I will group, but yelling down the stairs at him is no real team work - I basically just let him do his own thing; most of the time is asking if he can shoot me in the back).

Anyways. I have been playing for some time now, and while I can appreciate the post, I cannot help but think lack of patience on your friends part.

While I do find stomps happen more times than not, it is not without its challenges.

While I do sometimes hit the wall of being able to get in higher ELO brackets and fail a few times before rising again, that is just where I am supposed to be without teaming and using comms. I have accepted it.

Sometimes I have phenominal games against the masses; I have even known of the premade on the other side and managed to turn the tide by addressing it; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

What I have found though, from a pug perspective, is that I have averaged out. When I look at the long term statistics, I am in the middle. Lose some, win some.

While there are problems with this or that, another two years down the road will exchange those this' and thats with another set of issues.

You have to love the genre; it may not be for everyone; simple as that.

#38 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

From PGI's standpoint this is at least partially true....but it's also a double edged sword for them, because new players tend to go find something else new in short time- so they have to cater to the veterans too, and I would bet they wring more dollars out of us vets that have sentimental attachment to the game than they do new players that don't know what the differences between one mech and the next are.

And finally, if you are that convinced that LoL and CoD:MW are better games than this one because they are easier for teenagers to figure out, then great, go play those games- myself, I prefer EVE online when not playing MW, and because of my EVE experiences tend to have a "sink or swim nubscrub" mentality. (which is a big reason I didn't really dig the cartoon the OP put up...think you are getting "bullied" in MW:O?- pfft, go try EVE Online.)

Edited by Pygar, 23 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#39 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

From PGI's standpoint this is at least partially true....but it's also a double edged sword for them, because new players tend to go find something else new in short time- so they have to cater to the veterans too, and I would bet they wring more dollars out of us vets that have sentimental attachment to the game than they do new players that don't know what the differences between one mech and the next are.

And finally, if you are that convinced that LoL and CoD:MW are better games than this one because they are easier for teenagers to figure out, then great, go play those games- myself, I prefer EVE online when not playing MW, and tend to have a "sink or swim nubscrub" mentality because of my experiences in EVE.

Long time EvE player here....so true.

#40 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostAphoticus, on 23 April 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Greetings,

While I have invited two people to the game, only one continues to play. The older one, a peer friend at work, simply couldn't get use to the driving mechanics (sad for him, but that was all motor skills). The second person, my 7 year old son, who simple sucks at the game, will not quit because he loves the action even when he scores no points and dies early (he likes to watch me or others play - probably soaking in knowledge).

As for me, I am a solo player through and through (my son and I will group, but yelling down the stairs at him is no real team work - I basically just let him do his own thing; most of the time is asking if he can shoot me in the back).

Anyways. I have been playing for some time now, and while I can appreciate the post, I cannot help but think lack of patience on your friends part.

While I do find stomps happen more times than not, it is not without its challenges.

While I do sometimes hit the wall of being able to get in higher ELO brackets and fail a few times before rising again, that is just where I am supposed to be without teaming and using comms. I have accepted it.

Sometimes I have phenominal games against the masses; I have even known of the premade on the other side and managed to turn the tide by addressing it; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

What I have found though, from a pug perspective, is that I have averaged out. When I look at the long term statistics, I am in the middle. Lose some, win some.

While there are problems with this or that, another two years down the road will exchange those this' and thats with another set of issues.

You have to love the genre; it may not be for everyone; simple as that.

Kudos to you good sir. My experience as a solo player is much the same.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users