#41 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Where are the White Knights? The OP is claiming that PGI's statistics are wrong and that he is constantly being matched against 4% of the game's population. Won't they show up and defend PGI's honor and explain what a minority 4 man groups are?

#42 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostDavers, on 23 April 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Where are the White Knights? The OP is claiming that PGI's statistics are wrong and that he is constantly being matched against 4% of the game's population. Won't they show up and defend PGI's honor and explain what a minority 4 man groups are?

I don't know where they got that metric from- I would say there is one pre-made per side in every drop...unless I drop solo, then the MM always seems to put me on the side with no "pre-made" in it, lol.

#43 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

My initial thought was "Because they like Battletech?".

#44 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostDavers, on 23 April 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

They should have at least made the number a little more believable if they wanted to pull a "statistic" out of their butts.I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that only 4% of the players are in premade groups.

Unfortunately,PGI has seen fit not to include an indicator for people in groups.If there was just a little mark by grouped players' names,we could form our own statistics and actually figure out the truth to a reasonable degree.As it stands,it's all just guess work.

I like war thunders group marker,it's just a little number icon beside player names to indicate if they are in a group,and how many people that group has.Why can't mwo do that?

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#45 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

The problems of self-reporting and confirmation bias make us reliant on the stats that the devs throw out. Of course, there is always more to numbers than the numbers themselves, which we are not privy to.

#46 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Actually OP, Clan Large Pulse Lasers only do 10 Damage in the original Table top Game, but generate less heat (10) and have the extended range you mentioned, they were also 1 ton lighter (6 to the IS 7)/ (Clan ER PPC's generated 15 Heat and did 15 Damage also only weighing 6 tons to the IS 7 and had Superior Range than their IS Counterpart). I know my mechs and their weapons and frequently used a Warhawk (Masakari) armed with 4 Clan Large Pulse Lasers (And a few extra heat sinks).

Can't wait to see how all the Clan Weaponry will operate in game, but due to financial limitations it'll only be at the recieving end at first unless they offer a "Freebie for X Victories" sometime along the way.

#47 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 23 April 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

They should have at least made the number a little more believable if they wanted to pull a "statistic" out of their butts.I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that only 4% of the players are in premade groups.

Unfortunately,PGI has seen fit not to include an indicator for people in groups.If there was just a little mark by grouped players' names,we could form our own statistics and actually figure out the truth to a reasonable degree.As it stands,it's all just guess work.

I like war thunders group marker,it's just a little number icon beside player names to indicate if they are in a group,and how many people that group has.Why can't mwo do that?

PGI's inability to program such a feature, most likely.

#48 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Good post. The upcoming launch module will hopefully go a long way to support groups that wish to play against other groups.

#49 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 23 April 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

PGI's inability to program such a feature, most likely.

lol,probably.If they did manage to get that in,the bugs created in doing so would probably cause jenners to run 300kph with rainbows shooting out their arse and make your email start spamming hateful insults at everyone on your contact list.

#50 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

They should temporarily turn off teams completely and when we still see mostly 12v0 matches, we can:
1. turn 2-12 on
2. have an adult conversation on what causes the 12v0 (it is not 4-mans)

#51 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 23 April 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Actually, I just wonder why the community here is so into making teamwork feel like cheating or something.

I mean, what if there was a marker on team players so that you could tell one way or the other in drops? Are you gunna quit the match if you see a pre-made? Are you gunna spend half of the match typing about the unfairness of it all in chat instead of shooting at people? Are you going to bring out some kind of "Righteous Indignation- A Game" and really show those "pre-mades" what for?

I've said it once, and I'll say it a hundred times more- Just join a team instead of being pissed off about not being on a team...the benefits outweigh the downside by so much there practically is no downside.

#52 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Ha! The thing is I have been on both sides of pug matches where its 12-0. Also been on sides where my group was together only to get rolled by pugs. I've played with only one or two friends to win 20 matches in a row or lose the same.It happens. Comms and MM are the biggest reason. But just plain sucking is a good reason too. Also friends not playing anymore is because when they do log into TS to group they are stuck with some Jackhole taking 30 minutes messing with their damn mech. That and the crappy UI. It's not necessarily Pugging against Pre-Mades. All that is PGI's problem along with the silly meta. Hell if they would put in stuff like recoil and force a de-sync on certain weapons that could possibly go away.

I think adding Voip would change that significantly. Why its so hard when a small and less funded company like DAY-Z standalone could do it is beyond me.

#53 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Actually, I just wonder why the community here is so into making teamwork feel like cheating or something.

I mean, what if there was a marker on team players so that you could tell one way or the other in drops? Are you gunna quit the match if you see a pre-made? Are you gunna spend half of the match typing about the unfairness of it all in chat instead of shooting at people? Are you going to bring out some kind of "Righteous Indignation- A Game" and really show those "pre-mades" what for?

I've said it once, and I'll say it a hundred times more- Just join a team instead of being pissed off about not being on a team...the benefits outweigh the downside by so much there practically is no downside.

If i've said it once,i've said it a million times.
I dont care if you want to play in a group.have at it.
What i do find to be bullcrap is coordinated premades on comms in meta mechs being placed against no comms having,trial mech riding pugs.

Groups should face groups and solo's should face solo's.plain and simple.
No one should have to join a clan and get on team speak just to have a chance at fair play.

Open the group q to any size and let groups take their chances against equal opposition instead of steam rolling uncoordinated pugs.

Dont have a 12 man group? Jump in with what you have and get put with another group to fill the slots.

No other online game i play says to me "join A group or gtfo!",why does mwo?

Why is it such a sin to want to hop on mwo for a few rounds without the hassle of a group?

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#54 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

If the MM is putting trial mechs up against high ELO teams, is it the teams or the MM that is broken?

Apparently you are OK with pugs in trial mechs playing against pugs in mastered meta builds? This fixes the problem?

Edited by Chemie, 23 April 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#55 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

And here's another pre-made bogeyman post.
This game is not for the candy crushing git crowd.
I'm gonna start making anti-pug posts.

Edited by Novakaine, 23 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#56 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostChemie, on 23 April 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

If the MM is putting trial mechs up against high ELO teams, is it the teams or the MM that is broken?

Apparently you are OK with pugs in trial mechs playing against pugs in mastered meta builds? This fixes the problem?

MM is definately one sided sometimes, I was in a few matches the other day where my team had 2 Victors (I was in a Trial Victor) 6 Thunderbolts, 2 Mediums (I forget which) and a pair of lights, The other team had 4 Atlases, 2 Battlemasters, a Stalker an Orion a Thunderbolt a Cicada a Jenner and a Spider, we were steamrolled. The match lasted less than 3 minutes. I say a few matches like that as I had 3 similar matches where we were outmatched. Hopefully the new one with the 3/3/3/3 rule will prevent this from happening as it gets very annoying when you're steamrolled.

#57 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostChemie, on 23 April 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Im not sure how this has anything at all to do with the topic of the thread(group vs solo).......
Its a seperate issue entirely.....

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#58 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's not even that hard to go up against premades unless you have some idiots on your team that go and run off by themselves. That's when you get stomps.. I don't know I've had a different experience then the OP and some of you guys.

606 wins vs 467 losses since stat reset, and I almost exclusively PUG. I've dropped with a friend a few times but we have not really been effective together (he is new and likes sniping with 2 gauss rifles, I prefer to be more active). So I don't consider myself being slammed by evil premades all the time.

#59 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

From PGI's standpoint this is at least partially true....but it's also a double edged sword for them, because new players tend to go find something else new in short time- so they have to cater to the veterans too, and I would bet they wring more dollars out of us vets that have sentimental attachment to the game than they do new players that don't know what the differences between one mech and the next are.

And finally, if you are that convinced that LoL and CoD:MW are better games than this one because they are easier for teenagers to figure out, then great, go play those games- myself, I prefer EVE online when not playing MW, and because of my EVE experiences tend to have a "sink or swim nubscrub" mentality. (which is a big reason I didn't really dig the cartoon the OP put up...think you are getting "bullied" in MW:O?- pfft, go try EVE Online.)

Will never forget the first time I stumbled into a gatecamp on the border of highsec... had busted my butt for a week or so straight to buy my first cruiser-class ship (Amarr, IIRC) and literally the first time I undocked while it was totally fitted out I got blown up before I even reached the mission site. They even podded me. Ship, fittings, clone, all gone. There was some blue air in my apartment that day! Of course, playing for keeps meant that every dogfight was pulse-pounding, and winning was completely exhilarating. Eve just takes too much time for me, nowadays.

EDIT: I will say that the Elo algorithm is pretty useless, because I get matched up against people who I've seen streaming, and I know from watching the streams that they are way better than I am in almost every facet of gameplay. They might as well just issue me a penalty to my K:D and let me skip the agony of getting killed.

Edited by Daekar, 23 April 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#60 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostSstaan, on 23 April 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

MM is definately one sided sometimes, I was in a few matches the other day where my team had 2 Victors (I was in a Trial Victor) 6 Thunderbolts, 2 Mediums (I forget which) and a pair of lights, The other team had 4 Atlases, 2 Battlemasters, a Stalker an Orion a Thunderbolt a Cicada a Jenner and a Spider, we were steamrolled. The match lasted less than 3 minutes. I say a few matches like that as I had 3 similar matches where we were outmatched. Hopefully the new one with the 3/3/3/3 rule will prevent this from happening as it gets very annoying when you're steamrolled.

Aaaand I went up against a team of 8 Atlases and some other stuff with a team with 0 atlases, and in general way undertonned (can't remember individual mechs) and we rolled them. That kind of thing doesn't really matter, 3/3/3/3 is not going to prevent steamrolls. Sorry. Teamwork and skill, but mostly teamwork is most important.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users