General Balance Gameplay

536 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

First a little story in picture format. (click for full size)

Posted Image

A little explanation for those not familiar with the tabletop game. Clan Large Pulse Lasers are widely considered to be the most OP weapon in the tabletop. It's got more range than a IS PPC (unlike IS pulse lasers, which is what we have now) and has the same heat/damage as IS PPCs...except with a -2 modifier to hit, which makes it super accurate. It basically has no drawbacks whatsoever, and someone showing up to a game with tons of clan large pulse lasers generally has people packing up to leave and refusing to play with him in the future.

A common tactic for people looking to win at all costs on the tabletop is to take as many clan large pulse lasers as they can (or PPCs/ER PPCs if playing with IS tech), a fast, jumpy mech, and if possible, pick a map with lots of woods and small hills, enough to hinder movement, but not enough to block LOS.

Then they spend several hours jumping from woods to woods, which makes their mechs extremely hard to hit, at maximum range. This usually means that they don't have very good odds of hitting the enemy either, but that's ok, because you will (eventually) win if your opponent cant hit you at all and you can hit him with a 3% chance. It doesn't matter at all how long the game takes, because people who use this tactic only care about winning, they don't care about "fun" or the fact that it's taking up so much time they could be using for their life. Since their mechs are fast and can jump, they can basically kite most mechs forever. The only way to beat such a force (without extreme luck) is to build a very fast force that can catch up to him and hit him at same or better odds, but this generally requires you to know in advance what he is bringing. The main point of this tactic is not to win by destroying your mechs, or by completing any objectives, but by forcing you to forfeit out of boredom or lack of time.

Now, this is not commonly seen in game stores, because most people won't bother playing with you the moment they see what you are bringing, and everyone will quickly recognize you on sight (and not for good reasons). The system is really simple, you either play in an acceptable manner, or people choose not to play with you and you are left out in the cold.

However this, and a lot of other shenaningans, is extremely common on Mekwars servers, basically servers where you can play a computerized versions of the board game. They typically have some form of community warfare, where you fight for control over planets with points. More importantly, they have rules to govern gameplay, since the community warfare part becomes pointless if players are throwing games repeatedly to allow another faction to grab territory with ease, or if veterans keep challenging newbies that have no hope of winning while refusing to play against similarly skilled players that might cause them to lose.

Typically you are not allowed to choose the players you fight, it's ELO dependant, and anyone within your ELO range can attack you or vice-versa. Once an attack is confirmed, you HAVE to play the match, you can't refuse to play without your opponent's consent. If you refuse to play, you forfeit, and people get pissed that you lost points without a fight, plus repeatedly forfeiting is likely to earn you a ban.

So you can see how this appeals to the "win at all costs" type, because the rules ensure that they get to play and their opponent gets no say in it. There are usually combat rules as well, such as not being allowed to hide your whole force behind LOS and making your opponent search for you, but these are vauge and it's easy to stay within the rules by doing the bare minimum. Oh and the "jump around and bore your opponent to death" tactic? Perfectly valid because you are technically "engaging the enemy". Usually. And people like these are why a lot of people don't like to play on these servers.

Some of you may have noticed a parallel with MWO. You don't get to choose who your opponents are, and i'm not sure if you are allowed to quit a match if it's being ruined by certain types of behaviour. Even better you can take up to 3 people in a group with you...and play against randoms. You can make any perfect lance setup you want, while your opponents are most likely going up to end up with quite a few trial mechs, stock configs, or otherwise, mechs that are just there as canon fodder. And the people who you are bringing with you likely know how to play...(no such guarantee exists for your opponents), and they probably have elite efficiencies and enough cash for whatever optimized loadout they want. Even better you can sync drop to DOUBLE your advantage. Which is totally allowed by PGI btw. Kind of funny because you are usually not allowed to rig matches in your favor (go ask Blizzard if they will let you sync drop in ranked matches).

In an ideal game, this isnt a problem at all because you would be facing opponents who are equal to you...equal skill, equal mechs, equal efficiencies, etc. The reality is that the matchmaker is going to see 4-8 veterans on one team, ignore their mechs and loadout, ignore their efficiencies, stretch the ELO bracket to find suitable opponents....and you end up with the typical 12-0 stomp where one team is made up of mostly of newbies who have no idea what they are doing, who don't have their mechs setup before hand to work in sync with each other, who have no or next to no ECM, who are in trial mechs, who are in stock configs (i am seeing a lot of stock HBK-4Ps for some reason...)...and you get a slaughter.

The odds of another group of veterans, with equally good lance setups, launching at the same time as your group, and ending up on the opposing team, is pretty low. Unless you co-ordinate before hand. So the matchmaker just dumps as many randoms as it can grab, with a large ELO gap if necessary, into the opposing team. With predictable results.

In the past few days ive lost count of how many times i've been with most of our team, who then proceeds to get rushed by a few players with the most OP configs in the game, and we get totally wiped out in the blink of an eye. 4 mechs boating ballistics with elite efficiencies and focusing fire can easily take on 8 random mechs....or more. Hell i've taken out most of a team by myself....it's not hard to get 8 kills, 3 assists when you are boating ballistics and the enemy team just keeps standing in the middle of the river of river city, looking around in confusion as you gun them down (although i'm sure some players here think they are amazing because they can beat some newbies).

Oh and since most random teams end up with maybe 1 ECM at best, they get eaten alive by the LRM boat spam that is so popular these days. Assaults dying in 5 seconds while they try to kill a ECM spotter running around at long range is pretty sad to watch. And there's nothing much they can do because the game was decided before it even begun.

So, what does this all mean? Well i'm kind of reminded of a famous penny arcade comic. Normal guy + Internet = (you should be able to guess this). In MWO what do you have?

Player who wants to win at all costs + Ingame incentives for doing so (c-bills, xp) + Ego boosts (K:D ratio, scores) + System prevents people from refusing to play against you + Broken matchmaker + Broken game balance = Small groups of people who ruin the game for everyone else.

And that's why i can't get anyone to play MWO for long. They keep joining games, only to get stomped into the ground. On the occasions they win, their team stomps some other newbies into the ground. Only a tiny portion of games are actually somewhat even and they get to have a good fight. They keep running up against some ridiculous build that shreds their mech before they can do anything, because weapon balance has been terrible since closed beta started 2 years ago. Where one mech, can just take out multiple mechs with ease, not because he is so much better, but because he is abusing the easiest, most OP loadout in the current meta that he can find. Where a 2014 game still has no working lag compensation, so light mechs can tank more firepower than an Atlas and are incredibly frustrating to kill without streaks.

So people usually ask me "Okay this game is just really badly broken. When are they fixing it?" and then i tell them that everything, matchmaking, balance, etc, has been broken for 2 years...they just look at me in disbelief or start laughing. Or both. And they all moved on to other games. Which is great for them, not so great for PGI hoping to make money. I'm sure a lot of people had similar experiences....there's probaly lots of similar stories around the net "I tried MWO but every game was like a curb stomp, don't waste your time".

Well PGI is partly to blame here obviously, if the matchmaker was working, newbies wouldnt be getting stomped by teams of veterans. If weapon balance was decent, boating ballistics or LRMs wouldnt be able to decide a game. Anyone else here remember the complete fiasco that was the MWO release? When thousands of new players signed up then proceeded to quit and badmouth MWO because they kept curbed stomped into oblivion by vets teaming up? All because PGI refused to make a randoms only queue (and to this date, wont actually say why)?

Aside from that however, there's one group of people who's to blame for making the game terrible and for making so many people quit. It's the same people who keep abusing the most OP configs. It's the same people who sync drop against randoms instead of using the 12 man queue. It's the same people who do everything possible to make the gameplay experience terrible for everyone else. All so that they can brag about their high K:D and win ratios, while telling each other how amazing they are.

Quite literally one of the cancers killing this game. The worst part is that we are stuck with these people. We have to play with them. We can't avoid them if we want to play MWO. We can't make use of the lovely self regulating mechanicsm where you are free to do whatever you want, just don't complain if people stop wanting to play with you and you are left standing there alone.

Too bad they can't get banned either, usually companies don't appreciate it when you are responsible for making tons of people quit and are actively out to ruin the game for everyone else.

Well i guess the only thing we can do is hope everything gets fixed so we dont have to deal with the nonsense of 8 man sync drops vs team of newbies, half in fodder mechs, and we can actually get people to play MWO again. Maybe another year or two for it to happen?

Oh and if anyone has tried to get people into the game, i would love to hear if they had a similar experience to my friends. When playing solo of course (getting carried by 3 other players in OP configs doesn't prove anything).

Edited by Egomane, 23 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.
please remember to use "Use first tag as prefix" when creating a new thread

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

TL:DR but the comic was the best (read that). +1 Like (and I am in a unit, but we rail against the poptart meta).

#3 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Yeep, some things hitting intresting Points.

Edit: Ps: i like the Comic. :) +1

Edited by Revorn, 23 April 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Reminds me... Asia prime time nobody plays even 8 man back in the day.. rare to have 24 man willing to drop against each other...

so they come into my ts chan asking for help to fill in slots..

So gentlemen agreement of any drop Dec...

So to keep things friendly I drop in something like a dragon.... opfor is in numerous atlai and assaults... They have their fun for 1 drop and I quit after... Of course without my lance they are up shit's Creek trying to keep the matches going...

#5 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Didn't read the book after but the comic was humorous, despite it's slanted view of organized play.

Most syncdropping takes place just because we want to play with our friends, all of them that are online (up to 12) not just 3 of them while we wait for 11 more.

If you could provide a Cliffs Condensed Version of your novella to give those of us at work a chance to comment on your point after the cartoon, that would be awesomesauce.

#6 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

The problem occurs when you try bringing people in using words like balanced, coordinated, skill based, tactical and various others along that line.
It can be some of those (exclude balanced..never was, never will be) but it rarely is and definitely isn't if you pug.

I find people are more receptive if you're straight up about it..it's a big stompy mech game, you'll start off at the bottom of the food chain but if you stick around for a bit you'll get a couple of teeth and graze on plankton occasionally.

It's a casual pickup game, just leave it installed because it's free to play, doesn't take up a huge amount of space and it's fun in short bursts when you're not alpha cored from across the map.

#7 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Stomping pugs has never made anyone "good" it's just what sells the tickets. If you are in an organized team trying to say that the pug players just aren't good enough? you are f'ing kidding yourself child.

#8 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

The comic is basically the condensed version of my post.

Basically everyone i tried to introduce to MWO just kept running into a wall of curb stomping. Sometimes they won, but it was almost always because they just lucked out and got on the team that did the curb stomping. Only a small % of matches turn out to be fairly even. And it's not a problem if you lose because you don't have the stats or whatever, but it's really frustrating if the cause is people grouping up and abusing the most OP stuff in the game. Because that means you have no counter except to do the exact same thing, which does not appeal to everyone. So they quit.

Of course they watched me to play to see if it was any different. The result was, not really. Most matches involved one side being curb stomped because they had no right to be there...the matchmaker just insists on matching vets against newbies for some reason. A couple of ballistic boats running in and shredded double their number with ease is a pretty clear indicator that something is seriously wrong. When i hop into a match and see that theres this 4 man group there, all with top tier configs, and they obviously know what they are doing...i don't expect to see in the same match, trial mechs, stock configs, people in HBK-4Ps sniping at 800 meters range with med lasers, someone using thermal vision on caustic valley....

I played dozens of matches in the last couple of days, same deal. I did a experiment several months ago (10 games a day for a week), and well, it was pretty much the same, minus the LRM boats. The LRMs actually made it easier for premades to curb stomp newbies. ECM spotter + 3 LRM boats vs randoms with no ECM and pubs who are standing out in the open. It makes it even easier to achieve the coveted 12-0 win.

LRMs by themselves are totally fine if you are not boating them, its just that its so easy to focus fire something into dust with them that they seem ridiculously OP when premades do it. Atlas with AMS literally dissapears in under 10 seconds.

P.S. What is with Cicadas? I keep seeing newbies in super slow Cicadas, they walk around at like 60 kph then die the moment someone spots them. Is someone trolling newbies by telling them to buy Cicadas and then use a small engine?

Edited by Jun Watarase, 23 April 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#9 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 23 April 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Well PGI is partly to blame here obviously, if the matchmaker was working, newbies wouldnt be getting stomped by teams of veterans. If weapon balance was decent, boating ballistics or LRMs wouldnt be able to decide a game. Anyone else here remember the complete fiasco that was the MWO release? When thousands of new players signed up then proceeded to quit and badmouth MWO because they kept curbed stomped into oblivion by vets teaming up? All because PGI refused to make a randoms only queue (and to this date, wont actually say why)?

Aside from that however, there's one group of people who's to blame for making the game terrible and for making so many people quit. It's the same people who keep abusing the most OP configs. It's the same people who sync drop against randoms instead of using the 12 man queue. It's the same people who do everything possible to make the gameplay experience terrible for everyone else. All so that they can brag about their high K:D and win ratios, while telling each other how amazing they are.

Quite literally one of the cancers killing this game. The worst part is that we are stuck with these people. We have to play with them. We can't avoid them if we want to play MWO. We can't make use of the lovely self regulating mechanicsm where you are free to do whatever you want, just don't complain if people stop wanting to play with you and you are left standing there alone.

This is the absolute truth and has been so for 2 years. This is why I've been asking PGI for a premade-free, PUG-only queue for all these years.

#10 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Read and liked the post. Here is the tl;dr:

Match maker is completely broken and excels at putting 12 new players on one side and 2 elite premades on the other. Most matches end as roflstomps. New players leave MWO.

#11 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

It would be kinda of nice to see other players ELO's and # of matches played honestly, If I saw someone with 2 matches played shooting a PPC from point blank I would let them know the error in their ways.

Not like some jack hole that decided to try and beak me because I did a PPC ML AC alpha from 89M away

#12 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Even folks from established teams favor having a premade-free, PUG-only queue. Why won't PGI implement it?

#13 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 23 April 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Even folks from established teams favor having a premade-free, PUG-only queue. Why won't PGI implement it?

Because there are times of the day when online traffic dips down enough that there aren't enough players for multiple queues.
--------------------------------------------------------

Back to the OP: I dunno, the comic was kind of funny, but kind of not- I would say that the real reason you can't get your buddies to stay is because you are trying to introduce them to a game that some of us have been playing in some form or another for two and a half decades...and instead of getting them to join a guild/house/clan that can help teach them (like a lot of us "veteran" players belong to), you are blaming PGI and making players who are good at the game sound like bullies for being good at the game. (myself, I am probably a mid tier player at best, and I tend to stay away from cheese builds...but I'd still betchya five bucks me and my buddies will make you and your buddies cry on the battlefield, because your post just doesn't make it sound very hard to accomplish.)

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Because there are times of the day when online traffic dips down enough that there aren't enough players for multiple queues.
--------------------------------------------------------

Back to the OP: I dunno, the comic was kind of funny, but kind of not- I would say that the real reason you can't get your buddies to stay is because you are trying to introduce them to a game that some of us have been playing in some form or another for two and a half decades...and instead of getting them to join a guild/house/clan that can help teach them (like a lot of us "veteran" players belong to), you are blaming PGI and making players who are good at the game sound like bullies for being good at the game. (myself, I am probably a mid tier player at best, and I tend to stay away from cheese builds...but I'd still betchya five bucks me and my buddies will make you and your buddies cry on the battlefield, because your post just doesn't make it sound very hard to accomplish.)

What a load of BS this post is.

This is an online FPS game, the core of these games are PUG's. End of discussion. If PGI cant support PUG's then the game will fail,,,which it feels like it is.

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#15 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

This is an online FPS game, the core of these games are PUG's. End of discussion. If PGI cant support PUG's then the game will fail,,,which it feels like it is.

Teamwork is OP bro- you can take any combinations of mechs you want in this game, give the other side the exact same mechs...if one side is using voice comms and teamwork, the other side w/out teamwork is pretty much always going to lose, and worse, probably going to get facerolled. If you want to make excuses for why you only play PUGs, fine... but don't expect me to buy them- because it totally is not hard to download and use Teamspeak, and it is equally not hard to join a house/guild/clan either...not even for a newbie- shoot, my house has weekly classes they run for newbies to help them learn different aspects of the game.

Remind me again, what are the benefits to being a "Lone Wolf"? I get to listen to music instead of communicating effectively on voice comms, and get to rant with righteous indignation about losing to "pre-mades" on the forums?

Edited by Pygar, 23 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#16 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I've had 5 or 6 people try MWO at my behest over the past year or so.Only 1 still plays with me,and that's only because she lives with me and i make her play sometimes :)

The others all quit in less than 2 weeks with basically the same reason "this shit is lame" ... more or less.in reference to various things like the constant premade/poptart/pugstomp/meta etc.

I still log in a few times every few months to see if anything has improved over the years....and obviously..not really.

I decided to play a game last night.I said hey,it's late as hell (like 2-3 am easternish),surely premade prime time is over by now.I grabbed a battlemaster because I've always wanted to try them out.

first game...i saunter in...what's the first thing I see? a premade with 2 poptarts (victor/ctf3d)....12-0 pugstomp,game ends in less than 3 minutes,with the poptart premades trollololol'ing in chat.So,I turned MWO off and went to play titanfall instead.

gg close

View PostPygar, on 23 April 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Teamwork is OP bro- you can take any combinations of mechs you want in this game, give the other side the exact same mechs...if one side is using voice comms and teamwork, the other side w/out teamwork is pretty much always going to lose, and worse, probably going to get facerolled. If you want to make excuses for why you only play PUGs, fine... but don't expect me to buy them- because it totally is not hard to download and use Teamspeak, and it is equally not hard to join a house/guild/clan either...not even for a newbie- shoot, my house has weekly classes they run for newbies to help them learn different aspects of the game.

So everyone should have to join a clan and get on teamspeak to have a few fun games in mwo then?

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 April 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#17 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I'm a pug and I agree with Pygar, and get the distinct impression that you and the OP are both full of crap.

#18 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostAlexandrix, on 23 April 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

So everyone should have to join a clan and get on teamspeak to have a few fun games in mwo then?

Exactly! I dont have time for that BS and I dont want to wake up my wife talking into the mic.

View PostWarHippy, on 23 April 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

I'm a pug and I agree with Pygar, and get the distinct impression that you and the OP are both full of crap.

Yet another player in this community that is part of the problem and not the solution..

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#19 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Exactly! I dont have time for that BS and I dont want to wake up my wife talking into the mic.

Yet another player in this community that is part of the problem and not the solution..

Its cool if you want to play by yourself, and it is something I do pretty much all of the time myself as well. The problem is you, the OP, and others like you that have done a great deal of damage to this game by demonizing the group players and unjustly putting the blame of your own failings at their feet. If this game is striving for nothing more than being your basic FPS then there are plenty of better alternatives to this one, but if the devs want a robust community with factions(inherently a group thing) fighting for control of the galaxy they need to embrace the groups or they are doomed to fail.

Edited by WarHippy, 23 April 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#20 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Not having much time to play is an even better reason to play with groups... it takes virtually no time to log onto teamspeak for a group, so if I only have an hour to play, I'll get the same amount of matches in regardless of whether I drop solo, or if with a team- but if I play on a team I know I will probably get more wins.

And listening to voice comms is more important than talking for most players, so you can get by w/out a mic unless you are the lance leader.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users