49 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I had three games last night with three different users who were in an Atlas using 3PV throughout the entire match, even combat. Near the beginning of each match I told them to hit f4 to toggle the view and I suggested they use the FPV for combat. None of them took my suggestions and remained in 3PV the entire time. Normally I attribute this to noobs not knowing much about the game, but one of these pilots was a Founder in his Founder's Atlas. He later got huffy because I suggested he could do better in FPV, but never elaborated as to why.

So, I've created this topic to help me understand this perspective. I genuinely want to know if there's 3PV users out there who also post on this forum. If so, why do you use 3PV? I'm not talking about scouting or breifly turning it on for a peak over a hill. I'm talking about all the time, shooting pew pew and dakka, in 3PV. Why do you find it preferable to FPV?

To non-3PV users; PLEASE don't be jerkfaces to 3PV users. I'm asking them to be honest and explain something to me so I can understand their reason for using it. Bashing them or trolling them won't help get real answers. So please, keep it civilized, alright?

Edited by Egomane, 23 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.
please remember to use "Use first tag as prefix" when creating a new thread

#2 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have used it to peek and avoid cockpit affects.

#3 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

I don't. 3rd Person is terrible because it messes with your aim so badly that it is NOT worth using.

#4 Relic1701

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

I don't use it, I have even removed my ability to use it by unbinding the key for it.

It's the principal of it. :)

#5 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I love the idea that I'm causing the hardcore BT fans to die a little inside whenever I use it. Such power.

#6 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

I use it to look at my smexy camo patter and colors, Mechs running extremely fast is badass looking to me.

#7 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

I use it to look over and around stuff I cant see through from the in cockpit view...
Then proceed back to FPV to kill the idiots that stay in 3PV for the entire match... :unsure:

#8 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I use it to figure out what bloody friggen pebble my mech is stuck on, so I can walk around it and get moving.

#9 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I think a lot of people these days don't bother reading the in game chat.

#10 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostBhelogan, on 23 April 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

I use it to figure out what bloody friggen pebble my mech is stuck on, so I can walk around it and get moving.

Super Glue Geo™

#11 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Unfortunately, the best use of 3PV (navigating terrain) is negated by the camera position that obscures your legs. Lowering the camera so that at the very least hip-level is visible would not only reduce its use for its most-hated application (hill/corner peeking) and improve its utility for its stated purpose (navigation and torso twist management and training.)

#12 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

There's 3rd person view?

#13 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 23 April 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Super Glue Geo™

roflmao, Good answer Admin.

And to the rest of you.. I'll have to use that "3PV to see whats hanging my mech up" thing. That gets so annoying in my Atlas, its a 100 Ton walking Death Machine and yet a small rock/boulder will hang me up, lol.

#14 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Never used it, never plan to.

It does seem to be slowly increasing..time was you'd never see it, now I don't look twice if I see a few mechs with their little drone things buzzing around.

#15 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I use it every once in a while to see the awesome 'mech animations while I'm running from point-A to point-B, but most of my gameplay is definitely done in cockpit view.

View PostShatterpoint, on 23 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Never used it, never plan to.

It does seem to be slowly increasing..time was you'd never see it, now I don't look twice if I see a few mechs with their little drone things buzzing around.

Probably because it's defaulted and new players might not know better. When I reinstalled the game, "Always Start in 3rd Person View" was the default checked option. New players might think that's how it's supposed to be.

I quickly learned why cockpit view was superior. That and I've never once spectated another player using 3rd person in combat..

Edited by ramp4ge, 23 April 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#16 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

I don't use it, the benefits are too small to make up for the flashing red beacon that your enemies can see from across the map.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I don't.

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Since you got yourself stuck here with that same

View PostBryan Ekman, on 23 April 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Super Glue Geo™

can PGI implement my suggestions here, please, pretty please?

<shameless plug :unsure:>

#19 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

This is what I expected to hear from most people, but there has to be at least a few people out there who actually use 3PV for combat. Like I said, there was a Founders in his Founder Atlas in my game using it. I want someone out there to step forward and tell me WHY they use it.

Is it just aesthetics? You love seeing the mech stomp around while blowing stuff up? If so, that's cool. I really just want to know why you continue to use it, even after someone points out how to switch back to cockpit view.

On a side note, it would be really wonderful if this game required every player to go through the tutorial as a non-optional training mission as their very first round. This would only happen once per account, but it could help noobs see that there are alternatives out there. As it is, the tutorial is easily overlooked, especially if you are a new player.

#20 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostShadowVFX, on 23 April 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

This is what I expected to hear from most people, but there has to be at least a few people out there who actually use 3PV for combat. Like I said, there was a Founders in his Founder Atlas in my game using it. I want someone out there to step forward and tell me WHY they use it.

Is it just aesthetics? You love seeing the mech stomp around while blowing stuff up? If so, that's cool. I really just want to know why you continue to use it, even after someone points out how to switch back to cockpit view.

On a side note, it would be really wonderful if this game required every player to go through the tutorial as a non-optional training mission as their very first round. This would only happen once per account, but it could help noobs see that there are alternatives out there. As it is, the tutorial is easily overlooked, especially if you are a new player.

IDK, the guy probably just didn't know any better... being that he was in a founder's Atlas doesn't really tell me that the pilot was good, rather it just tells me he probably hasn't logged in and played since last year.

For all the freakout people made about it being an unfair advantage over first person mode, I don't really see any advantage to it other than being able to see your paint job.

And yeah, a tutorial might help.... also, not making weirdo settings like "3PV" and "Throttle Decay" defaults would help too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users