Clan Tech On Inner Sphere Mechs?

News

89 replies to this topic

#1 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

I assume these questions have been answered already, but I can not find answers anywhere.

1) Will Clan Tech (Weapons, Engines, and Armor) be usable on Inner Sphere Mechs?

2) If yes, will it be available at the Clan Invasion Launch Date?

3) Will it cost C-Bills or MC?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Razorfish, 23 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

No, mixed tech will not be allowed. See the Command Chair posts regarding teh Clanz.

And this is a good thing, because otherwise IS mechs running Clan gear would be 100% superior to Clan Omnimechs running Clan gear, due to customization. Not to mention, certain mechs would be horribly broken with Clan tech, such as being able to place 2 UAC/10 in a Highlander or Victor's arm.

#3 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Yes, hopefully there will be some reason to being a Clanner in this game. Mixtech invalidates that pretty nicely.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostRazorfish, on 23 April 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I assume these questions have been answered already, but I can not find answers anywhere.

1) Will Clan Tech (Weapons, Engines, and Armor) be usable on Inner Sphere Mechs?

2) If yes, will it be available at the Clan Invasion Launch Date?

3) Will it cost C-Bills or MC?

Thanks for your time.

Mixed tech didn't start really trickling into IS hands till 3056+... so Soon TM

View Post101011, on 23 April 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Yes, hopefully there will be some reason to being a Clanner in this game. Mixtech invalidates that pretty nicely.

And I don't want the Wolf Clan to be able to cry foul when the Lyran military kicks their furry tail!

(Smack talk engaged!)

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

NO.

Thank god, no.

#6 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

1) Nope. IS and Clan technology is not cross compatible. I don't have time to link it, but that was stated in one of the more recent DevBlogs about the Clan mechs.

2) Nope, see point 1.

3) I sure hope that eventually clan stuff is available for C-bills, but idk one way or the other for sure.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

why would you even want to use clan tech. its going to have to be worse than IS tech to be balanced with IS tech. only way you can balance a 5 ton LRM20 is if its half as good as a 10 ton LRM20.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

All I gotta say is if they EVER allow for CrossTech, they better have figured out why MWO needs sized hardpoints.

It would be the ONLY way from totally obsoleting OmniMechs.

#9 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostKhobai, on 23 April 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

why would you even want to use clan tech. its going to have to be worse than IS tech to be balanced with IS tech. only way you can balance a 5 ton LRM20 is if its half as good as a 10 ton LRM20.

That is rather close-minded. There are SO many variables they can play around with. Lock-on time, firing patterns, missile behavior, flight paths...not everything is a damage value.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Well, if they let us have 15 damage Clan ERPPCs, without too much of a heat increase, you could make a 97.2 kph Gausscat of sorts with the Adder.

Posted Image

I can already taste the tears of assault pilots who get killed by one of these sexy beasts.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

perhaps you should actually read and listen to the relevant threads? It's usually better to do BEFORE commenting, bro.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 23 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

That is rather close-minded. There are SO many variables they can play around with. Lock-on time, firing patterns, missile behavior, flight paths...not everything is a damage value.

I never said anything about damage. Regardless of what variables they tweak theyre going to have to be worse because theyre only 5 tons and not 10 tons.

Perhaps you should actually read and listen to the relevant threads? It's usually better to do BEFORE commenting, bro.

What relevant thread? Show me one thread where PGI gives us any factual information about clan weapons and not just a bunch of "this is what we think were going to do but were not really sure" nonsense. Because so far thats all ive seen... which is why I havent bought a clan pack and probably wont. I want to see what the actual stats are going to be on clan weapons before I decide to buy a clan pack or not.

Edited by Khobai, 23 April 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#13 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the answer, but how will they maintain any kind of balance?

Will it be an arms race to clan tech?

Even with the Pod Cast for today.

Clan Mechs with XL engines will have to have two torsos blown out to die. That in and of itself seems game breaking.

LRMS with no minimum range? Huge!

More powerful and longer range lasers?

I guess I just don’t see it, maybe it will make more sense at launch.

Edited by Razorfish, 23 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostRazorfish, on 23 April 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer, but how will they maintain any kind of balance? [/color

Clan Mechs with XL engines will have to have two torsos blown out to die. That in and of itself seems game breaking.

The main downside to the Clans is the Omnimech Construction System. You can't change your engine, or your internal structure, or your armor type (may or may not be able to change armor points allocation, though). Also, there is various hardwired equipment such as the CT Flamer on the Puma or I think it was 4 JJs on the Thor.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

They will nerf the Clans until they are no longer a scary beast worthy of true heroism... or the closest an old overweight Paladin like me can hope to achieve!

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

View Post101011, on 23 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Ultra 20s are going to fire 5 4 round bursts, so it isn't throwing double the damage of an AC20... PGI seems to not understand what the definition of double is... First 1.4 efficiency DOUBLE sinks, now Ultra cannons that are single rate damages! :D

House Marik and Kurita are looking more and more like Boogeymen than the Clans! :unsure:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 April 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#17 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,619 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

There are Clan versions of Inner Sphere `Mechs, aka IIC or C variants. Example: Hunchback IIC or Atlas C. But I doubt we'll get any of those. Cause if we did. Boy, I'll tell you, I'd rock the hell out of Atlas with the Hunchback IIC. Twin Clan Ultra 20s. Sweet.

On other another note: Yes< I'm aware of the fat that we have twin AC 20 gunners running around. Sheesh, I'm not stupid or blind.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostRazorfish, on 23 April 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer, but how will they maintain any kind of balance?

As stated, Paul did cover that in posts and a recent interview.

Do I trust them to get it right? That might be pushing it considering the balance issues we still have with IS weaponry.

Clan ACs will be burst fire weapons. For instance an ac20 pumps out 5 shells for 4 damage each. Thus while powerful, the damage is spreadable.

Clan LRMs and Streaks will be stream fired, making them much more vulnerable to AMS, Cover and ECM protection.

Clan Lasers will have longer beam durations for their damage. Thus beams will have the potential for more damage, but also run hotter and be slower in total DPS.

Also, Clan OmniMech chassis are being used with inherent limitations to engines and armor, structure and minimum heatsinks.

And I am sure there will be cooldown, heat, and other tweaks to keep them somewhat in line. Mind you, they SHOULD have the potential to be more powerful, but have limiting factors that can be exploited. Thus they do not entirely own the Meta, but still have that shock factor when first faced.

Plus, ATM, only a couple of the Clan Mechs have JJs, thus reducing their use in the primary MEta of the moment, Poptarting.

#19 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ultra 20s are going to fire 5 4 round bursts, so it isn't throwing double the damage of an AC20... PGI seems to not understand what the definition of double is... First 1.4 efficiency DOUBLE sinks, now Ultra cannons that are single rate damages! :D

House Marik and Kurita are looking more and more like Boogeymen than the Clans! :unsure:

But the RoF, as far as I know, will be similar to that of the UAC/5.

Edited by 101011, 23 April 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Actually Joseph, you forget what UACs are.

A standard UAC fires once, in MWO, a single 5 pt projectile. That is standard fire. It CAN be used to double shot, which runs attendant risk of jam. Likewise, in standard us, you pull the trigger once, you get a 5 shot stream. Double tap, or hold it down, you will get 10, over a longer period, with chance of jamming.

And I'm thinking if the cooldown and jamrates are at all similar, you are gonna go a long while between shots while waiting to unjam-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users