#21 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 24 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Because you are afraid to touch the sun!

My heart weeps at seeing the majority of posts here turned into an argument on the definition of 'tactic' vs. 'strategy.' If you Google them as one person suggested, you'll see them listed as synonyms, both with similar and dissimilar definitions depending on where you look. LIKE IT MATTERS.

Koniving illustrated a how-to for you and gave it a name. How about we discuss the success of using said tactic/strategy in game?

For one, I like it, and have found that having a Stalker or two be the tip of the spear is incredibly effective as long as no one stops moving. Those frontal hitboxes are FANTASTIC. If the 3rd or 4th mech behind said Stalker has ECM then it's even more effective...it's a tactic my 4-mans use a lot, and we try to get the PuG's to fall in line when we do so.

I need you on that list too my friend! :lol:

#22 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Great post as usual, Koniving! I tip my hat to you! It's great that someone is willing to spend as much time on these forums as you do to help new and old players alike!

(And it's an added bonus that you really know what you're talking about as well! :lol:)

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Spoiler

Now as Ghost Badger said, it'd be great if the discussions are about successes (and failures) of said strategies. Bring some experience in! :lol: (Psst., no need to like this post as it makes it unclear if the like is for what is said here or in the off topic spoiler).

(Clearly that didn't work. :lol: )

Edited by Koniving, 24 April 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#24 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 April 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Removal of Missile Flight Patterns.

They seem to be at least part-way back in, playing the other day and they were kinda helix-ing in on me. :ph34r:

But PGI moved away from the simulator direction, it'll never go back that way again. It makes me sad.

The simulator may come back, but it is very low odds, as those games are not overly cost-effective. :unsure:

psst - I liked it because I read all of it and really liked it. :lol:

#25 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Spoiler

Now as Ghost Badger said, it'd be great if the discussions are about successes (and failures) of said strategies. Bring some experience in! :lol: (Psst., no need to like this post as it makes it unclear if the like is for what is said here or in the off topic spoiler).

God... those are some painful things to be reminded of... I do miss R&R and the non-instant convergence, the ammo blow-outs from overheating.

#26 DDDs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Tip 1 is good but too many players are timid. At the first sight of snipers and LRMs, they back up instead of pushing. I run a "poptart" but I'm usually the tip of that push to find that only my lancemate pushed with me. Hindsight is 20/20 but I often feel if the rest of the team had followed, we could have run the other team over.

#27 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Pure spite :lol:

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostDDDs, on 24 April 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Tip 1 is good but too many players are timid. At the first sight of snipers and LRMs, they back up instead of pushing. I run a "poptart" but I'm usually the tip of that push to find that only my lancemate pushed with me. Hindsight is 20/20 but I often feel if the rest of the team had followed, we could have run the other team over.

Hence why this is here. The sooner players learn it the better. It is also why I presented the issues of it as well, and in the defense against it as the main target of it, buying time is the only chance you have. (A 'Lightning War' rush as we used the term wouldn't target you first if you could easily avoid it; they targeted you because you're too slow or easy to hit or because your weapons are too dangerous).

That last part is why certain meta mechs die very quickly. Allowing them to live isn't an option and the sooner they die the better the chances of winning.

Edited by Koniving, 24 April 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#29 DDDs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, just posting my experiences with Tip 1.

View PostKoniving, on 24 April 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

That last part is why certain meta mechs die very quickly. Allowing them to live isn't an option and the sooner they die the better the chances of winning.

Which is why I go after them first since most carry XLs. Unfortunately when it's only 2 people pushing against a coordinated lance of them, I always go down in a blazing explosion.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

The Third Tip: A Light Plight.

"When you're being pursued by multiple vehicles you are at a disadvantage. They can outmaneuver you, flank you, or box you in. It helps if you have a team of your own. With all their attention on you, your team can easily wipe them out."

If you feel you don't have a team, you're playing the wrong game.

That said when you're chasing a light mech that is drawing a lot of attention to it, chances are it has a team ready to do you in. It is smarter to let the light go than to compromise your front line.

The situation takes a whole new turn when it's light versus light combat. It becomes closer compared to dogfighting in helicopters than tanks on the field. As with any dogfight, your goal is to remain behind your enemy for as long as possible. Remember that their goal is exactly the same as yours with the roles reversed. Keep them off your back, stay hot on their tail, line your shots carefully and disable their means of propulsion (mainly legs).

It is important to always be ready to break off and resume at a moment's notice. A moment's notice in this case being the sight of an Atlas becoming a 29 meter tall roadblock with streaks and your name on its warheads.

Light combat; chasing a superior enemy light for 6 minutes on and off; (pre-HSR / lag compensation).

Edited by Koniving, 24 April 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#31 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

(Clearly that didn't work. :huh: )

Welcome to MW:O forums XD.

Sadly I have no video examples as I do not record videos on my machine (remember the potato I told you about? System just crashed so hard I can't even run safe mode, and am using Ubuntu until my copy of Windows arrives, since no one ships laptops with backup DVDs anymore :) )

However, I will share my experience with lance deployments (I'm usually the nutter in the COM-2D)

Spoiler

#32 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 April 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Welcome to MW:O forums XD.

Sadly I have no video examples as I do not record videos on my machine (remember the potato I told you about? System just crashed so hard I can't even run safe mode, and am using Ubuntu until my copy of Windows arrives, since no one ships laptops with backup DVDs anymore :) )

However, I will share my experience with lance deployments (I'm usually the nutter in the COM-2D)

Spoiler

I'll have to troll through the videos...I capture most with Nvidia Shadowplay, but my upload connection is so poor out in the backwoods that I rarely put any up online. I'll see if I can find a couple gems to relate this these tips, though.

#33 WayBadMojo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Great post, Kon..

You've long been a great supporter of the MWO community and your willingness to help out new players (just don't share your wacky mech designs with them! :) ) is a great example of how a gaming community should work.

-WayBad

#34 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

From the Art of War
  • After that, comes tactical maneuvering, than which there is nothing more difficult. The difficulty of tactical maneuvering consists in turning the devious into the direct, and misfortune into gain.
  • Thus, to take a long and circuitous route, after enticing the enemy out of the way, and though starting after him, to contrive to reach the goal before him, shows knowledge of the artifice of DEVIATION.
  • Maneuvering with an army is advantageous; with an undisciplined multitude, most dangerous.
If you stop moving chances are you are dead already and you don't know it yet

Edited by Wayreth, 25 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#35 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

OP

Wow, someone else actually uses the LRM + AC/2 combo? I thought I was the only one. Snipers hate fighting those builds, plugging them with that AC makes it hard for them to shoot accurately while your own accuracy is mostly unaffected by what they can throw back at you. The AC/2 is also decent for defense, and it's downright humiliating to the enemy if you manage to win a brawl with one AC/2 and nothing else.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 26 April 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 26 April 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Wow, someone else actually uses the LRM + AC/2 combo?

I use it pretty often. I originally created it to combat the 6 PPC Stalkers. The devastating halo of LRMs combined with the AC/2 makes them virtually blind. Three vids just for you. 1. 2. 3 (begins with a tactical retreat toward enemy territory).

#37 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Choke Points:
"And from there, we will funnel them into the mountain pass we call the Hot Gates. Now, in that narrow corridor, their numbers will count for nothing." - Leonidas, 300.

choke points are locations on a map where an enemy will pass, but which is too narrow for more than a fraction of their numbers to engage effectively. Choke points abound on the MWO maps. the entryways to the Caldera on Terra Therma. the saddle pass and tunnel in Crimson Strait. the Cave and narrow passages of Forest Colony. every map has several major choke points that restrict the ability of a force to employ their numbers effectively. i have lost track of how many times i have seen even highly skilled players get bottled up in the Saddle or stuck in the doors of the Caldera, where most of one side can focus their fire, but the other side is stuck uselessly behind one or two mechs in the front. it is a recipe for disaster.. especially if those that are in the choke point get fixated on fighting there. choke points let a much smaller force stop a large force. they become 'conga lines of death' because the forces at the front in the choke point take damage from the concentrated fire far faster than they can dish it out. and then the ones behind them take their place. they can be real meat grinders.

by now, you should be asking. "so what can i do the avoid this problem?" Sun Tzu, in his Art of War, called choke point's "hemmed in ground." and his advice still holds today. "On hemmed-in ground, resort to stratagem." that is, if you have to pass thru a choke point, be smart about it and try to exploit the situation in ways beyond just marching thru and getting stuck. the simplest stratagem for them is to employ what the modern military calls a thunder run.. just put the pedal to the metal and rush on thru until you are out of the choke point and have more room to maneuver. while this is likely to result in a fair amount of damage to your forward units, and will put you in the midst of the enemy, it will be far less damage than if you get bottled up in the choke point trying to clear the enemy away first. another useful stratagem is flanking. leave a few of your own to keep the enemy focused on the choke point, then send most of the rest around another route to hit the enemy somewhere unexpected. that said, be wary of the enemy, because often they are doing something similar. and never be afraid to turn the table on the enemy. often if you employ a stratagem of pulling back out of the choke point, an enemy will try to follow you, and then you can catch them in the choke point and pound them with concentrated fire.

the main thing to remember is not to get stuck. if there are people in front of you and no room of either side, don't just mill around behind them looking for a clear shot, pull back and look for another route. and if your in the front, keep in mind where you are and how many of your side are there and how many you are facing. don't let yourself be caught in the choke point just because you got in a fight.

Edited by mithril coyote, 28 April 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

On Mithril's chokepoints, I have a perfect little video for that too. River City Night Garage Battle. Funneling enemies in. Butchering them.

#39 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

The Fourth Tip: Uniforms; paint is a weapon.

"There is a reason armies wear uniforms even though they make them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear."

People say that painting your mech is a good way to draw attention. It is known that at some point a pilot's confidence in his mech will be high enough to start giving it some colorful love. It is a declaration, "I am not new. I know what I am doing," or at least that is what they want you to believe. After listening to this, you may catch yourself being more cautious around an enemy with paint just as you always have been. If that same enemy was basic green you wouldn't have even hesitated. Be honest. Now imagine this pause of caution times two, times four...or even times twelve. By then without your own numbers, your mech's legs will be painted brown. Except that's not paint.

Posted Image

There's a quirk in Battletech called Distracting. It's a psychological effect and it does work even in Mechwarrior Online. A group of enemies with the same faction tag alone will make some nervous pilots abandon their mechs; even if those faction members have nothing to do with each other.

A group of battlemechs with the same paint scheme who act with precision will cause panic and confusion in everything they face. This is what they want. The sooner you begin to think you will lose, the sooner you seal your fate.

The greatest way to match an organized force is to organize your own forces. You may not have the visual flash to instil fear, but sometimes the surprise of an unruly bunch of pugs being united in greater numbers can overwhelm even the most disciplined of soldiers.

------------

Share your experiences. What have you done when you see an enemy with paint? What have you done when you see several enemies with the same paint?
Do you think you'd do anything differently now?

Edited by Koniving, 28 April 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

The Fifth Tip: Who do I shoot?
"Target selection is one of the least glamorous but most important elements in any strategy. You want to take out the people your opponent depends on, the ones his organization can’t function without."

In conquest, that would be the light mechs. In any other fight, that is NOT the light mechs. Don't chase them, don't let them break the front line. Just shoot them when it is opportune and do not let them bait you.

Instead for Assault and Skirmish Focus on the real threats; you'd be surprised that they are usually not the enemies on the front line but that team of 2 to 4 heavies and mediums coming in from the corner of your eye.

Of course, this is unless your enemy isn't much brighter than the common ant. In that case, take out the ones that shoot the most. If it has PPCs and ACs or LRMs it has to die someway or another. And kick the enemy when they are down to quickly dispatch those enemies who would otherwise shoot you in the back the moment you spare them. The sooner they drop, the better your chances for victory.

(Two matches last night I really wish I was recording epic conclusions with 3 lights and 1 medium up against a lot of foes.)
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users