The Adder

44 replies to this topic

#1 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I, like quite a few were put off by the Timber Wolf, but the current picks of the Adder make me feel hopeful. The Adder is pretty much dead on for its model design. It may be a bit taller proportionately, but considering it is a PPC sniper that will give it clearer shots.

Sure having a really squat mech would be nice, but it seems like a fair trade off. The larger question is what are the clan ER PPCs going to be like. PGI has said they won't be 15 damage, but if they are still 15 heat there will be some major functionality issues considering 17 heatsinks aren't enough to manage 2 IS ER PPCs. The meta will end up being 2 ER Large Lasers with 13 heatsinks. Also, targeting computer, woot!

Anyway, one can only hope that the whole Timber Wolf incident was a one off. Come on Dire Wolf and Nova.

Edited by Gat, 23 April 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

timberwolf wasn't nearly as bad as people think it is, the first few shots made it look really fat legged but the later shots seemed to solve that problem. It's got chunkier legs then we're used to but that can be attributed to both art style and CBT art which was much more leg heavy then the MW3 and MW4 versions most people are probably used to.

#3 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

2 IS erppcs work just fine on a jenner with the same loadout :(

#4 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 23 April 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

timberwolf wasn't nearly as bad as people think it is, the first few shots made it look really fat legged but the later shots seemed to solve that problem. It's got chunkier legs then we're used to but that can be attributed to both art style and CBT art which was much more leg heavy then the MW3 and MW4 versions most people are probably used to.

I agree that the first few photos of the Timber Wolf were poor, and I do think a lot of what they did looks good. The legs are a bit of an issue for me just because they are a bit too beefy which makes the mech look more lumbering. Heck, if the feet were made slightly larger with longer toes that would offset some of the beefy look.

Anyway, the adder at least looks great, but the weapons will be the true test for this mech.

#5 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Where did they mention that CERPPCs were not going to be 15 damage? Also 17 DHS handles ERPPCs fine. I use that many on my Jester and have no issues. I just have to chain fire the ERPPCs and use 2 at a time MLs.

Also the Flamer is locked in. Paul mentioned it in one of his posts that if it came locked in TT then its locked in MWO.

Edited by FireSlade, 23 April 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#6 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Where did they mention that CERPPCs were not going to be 15 damage? Also 17 DHS handles ERPPCs fine. I use that many on my Jester and have no issues. I just have to chain fire the ERPPCs and use 2 at a time MLs.

Also the Flamer is locked in. Paul mentioned it in one of his posts that if it came locked in TT then its locked in MWO.

I thought they mentioned early on that Clan ER PPCs were not going to do 15 damage same as how Clan LRMs will still have a minimum range of 75m. Anyway, I just tend to prefer the better sustained rate of fire of standard PPCs especially on hot maps.

Yeah, I remember them saying that certain weapons will be locked to the mech like in tabletop and it says as much on the preview. But, that could change over testing depending on how the mech plays. It is still too early to tell at the moment on a lot of this.

Edited by Gat, 23 April 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#7 Pihoqahiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 359 posts
  • LocationU.S.A., West Coast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

View PostGat, on 23 April 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

I thought they mentioned early on that Clan ER PPCs were not going to do 15 damage same as how Clan LRMs will still have a minimum range of 75m. Anyway, I just tend to prefer the better sustained rate of fire of standard PPCs especially on hot maps.

Yeah, I remember them saying that certain weapons will be locked to the mech like in tabletop and it says as much on the preview. But, that could change over testing depending on how the mech plays. It is still too early to tell at the moment on a lot of this.

They stated quite some time ago, maybe around 9 months ago, that clan weapons were going to be toned down, including ER PPCs not doing 15 damage. PGI has a reputation for not sticking to what they have stated, ever, so we won't have a truly good view of what they attempt to do with Clan tech until it's put on the test server unfortunately, no matter what they try to tell people ahead of time. Just like we really don't have an idea of how they will implement faction, or Community Warfare, or even how anyone will be able to purchase/use Clan mechs and equipment (other than the Clan preorders for cash at the moment). Will you have one Inner Sphere affiliated pilot and one Clan pilot per account, each with their own separately tracked stats and collections of available mechs and equipment? Will people have to choose if they are Clan or Inner Sphere only? Will mixed technology levels be allowed, will there be penalties if you mix, who really knows?

View PostLucky Moniker, on 23 April 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

2 IS erppcs work just fine on a jenner with the same loadout :(

That's a LOT of time waiting to cool off :ph34r:

Edited by Pihoqahiak, 23 April 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#8 Pihoqahiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 359 posts
  • LocationU.S.A., West Coast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Also 17 DHS handles ERPPCs fine. I use that many on my Jester and have no issues. I just have to chain fire the ERPPCs and use 2 at a time MLs.

17 DHSs aren't even enough to sustain firing of a single ER PPC, let alone 2, although you're much better off than the Jenner example above. The Jester is a jump sniper though, so you can wait and cool off behind cover, it will just be nearly impossible to compete with jump snipers that pair PPCs with ballistics because they can put out so much more sustained damage over the course of a match.

#9 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostGat, on 23 April 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

It is a lot of speculation for the Clan and only 2 months away. It seems that, according to Paul on the NGNG podcast, LRMs will stream out in a ripple fire effect to give AMS a chance to shoot more down. It seem that they want to follow the no minimum range idea but to have missiles ramp up damage from 0-180 meters starting with 0 damage. They are not sure if it will be linear or most of the damage towards the 180 mark. They are really scared of super streaks, which is why it surprises me that they do not just modify the agility of the LRMs. Make them too slow in turning and under a certain range most mechs would be able to dodge them.

View PostPihoqahiak, on 23 April 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

17 DHSs aren't even enough to sustain firing of a single ER PPC, let alone 2, although you're much better off than the Jenner example above. The Jester is a jump sniper though, so you can wait and cool off behind cover, it will just be nearly impossible to compete with jump snipers that pair PPCs with ballistics because they can put out so much more sustained damage over the course of a match.

Sustained fire no, more like 5-7 shots before running too hot. Also the Jester may be a jump sniper to some but to me with the big head and CT hitboxes, it seems like suicide. Then there is the whole 2 JJ on it barely getting it's ass off the ground. I use mine as a long range skirmisher/harasser so it can run hot but at close ranges the medium laser + 1 ERPPC keep the damage high enough to keep me a threat while cool enough that I am not useless. If I was going to jump snipe it would have a much smaller engine more heat sinks and no chain firing.

#10 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

^ adder jenner, yes it runs hot but you can make it work. it takes skill and you actually have to think, but it is not impossible by any means to make it work, i will leave my Prime variant as stock and customize the others.

#11 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostGat, on 23 April 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

I, like quite a few were put off by the Timber Wolf, but the current picks of the Adder make me feel hopeful. The Adder is pretty much dead on for its model design. It may be a bit taller proportionately, but considering it is a PPC sniper that will give it clearer shots.

Sure having a really squat mech would be nice, but it seems like a fair trade off. The larger question is what are the clan ER PPCs going to be like. PGI has said they won't be 15 damage, but if they are still 15 heat there will be some major functionality issues considering 17 heatsinks aren't enough to manage 2 IS ER PPCs. The meta will end up being 2 ER Large Lasers with 13 heatsinks. Also, targeting computer, woot!

Anyway, one can only hope that the whole Timber Wolf incident was a one off. Come on Dire Wolf and Nova.

Actually, PGI fired the only person who said they would not be 15 damage...

So, I would suppose there is a very good chance they will be the 15 damage, perhaps with a longer recharge, or some other means of balance.

#12 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostGyrok, on 24 April 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Actually, PGI fired the only person who said they would not be 15 damage...

So, I would suppose there is a very good chance they will be the 15 damage, perhaps with a longer recharge, or some other means of balance.

True, but mind that they are all IS guys and Paul has Clan tech solidly in his nerf gun's sights :lol:

#13 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

I will say, I wasn't too thrilled with Timberwolf's screenshots. Just the legs were a bit too annoying to handle because of how large they are (though I probably wouldn't mind them being large if they looked a little more like the older leg versions). I can overlook all the other changes made though since they don't bother me much if at all (beefier arms, weird whatever thing is going on with the bottom of the torso, shorter center torso). Though I'm giving a free pass on Timberwolf for 2 Reasons. #1 Everyone makes mistakes #2 Whenever I hear the name "Timber Wolf" I think of something fast and big.... While they miss the whole "fast" part with this redesign, at least they get the big part down.
No matter though, I wasn't planning on using Timber Wolf as a main anyways (, I love the Mad Dog too much. Hopefully the Mad Dog will be at least decent, hopefully it will look at least a little bit like the non-MW4 version (I'm worrying like crazy here, Mad Dog is my favorite Mech in Mechwarrior 2, it could only be better if it was able to use jumpjets). I'm not going to discuss Timber Wolf here though, that's for the Timber Wolf thread. I mentioned this because of the drastic change with the designing with the Adder.

These screenshots of the Adder look very sexy, and is definently my favorite version of the Adder so far. It's quite possible that I could have Adder as one of my new mains, I just need to test drive it first to make sure it feels right (seriously all the little details they put into the cockpit of each mech between visuals and sound is very nice in MWO). Considering it's all energy hardpoints, I probably won't change the default build much, since PPCs are my favorite energy weapons.
Timberwolf started to make me worry that the devs could only do Inner Sphere designs well (I'm not saying Timber Wolf looks bad, just not amazing), but Adder make me lose all those worries and I'm extremely excited to see the other clan mech designs.
Keep it up PGI!

#14 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 24 April 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I will say, I wasn't too thrilled with Timberwolf's screenshots. Just the legs were a bit too annoying to handle because of how large they are (though I probably wouldn't mind them being large if they looked a little more like the older leg versions). I can overlook all the other changes made though since they don't bother me much if at all (beefier arms, weird whatever thing is going on with the bottom of the torso, shorter center torso). Though I'm giving a free pass on Timberwolf for 2 Reasons. #1 Everyone makes mistakes #2 Whenever I hear the name "Timber Wolf" I think of something fast and big.... While they miss the whole "fast" part with this redesign, at least they get the big part down.
No matter though, I wasn't planning on using Timber Wolf as a main anyways (, I love the Mad Dog too much. Hopefully the Mad Dog will be at least decent, hopefully it will look at least a little bit like the non-MW4 version (I'm worrying like crazy here, Mad Dog is my favorite Mech in Mechwarrior 2, it could only be better if it was able to use jumpjets). I'm not going to discuss Timber Wolf here though, that's for the Timber Wolf thread. I mentioned this because of the drastic change with the designing with the Adder.

These screenshots of the Adder look very sexy, and is definently my favorite version of the Adder so far. It's quite possible that I could have Adder as one of my new mains, I just need to test drive it first to make sure it feels right (seriously all the little details they put into the cockpit of each mech between visuals and sound is very nice in MWO). Considering it's all energy hardpoints, I probably won't change the default build much, since PPCs are my favorite energy weapons.
Timberwolf started to make me worry that the devs could only do Inner Sphere designs well (I'm not saying Timber Wolf looks bad, just not amazing), but Adder make me lose all those worries and I'm extremely excited to see the other clan mech designs.
Keep it up PGI!

The new shots of the Timber Wolf look a lot better. The legs are still bulkey but they look a lot more like a Timber Wolf.
Posted Image

#15 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Repost from before, but that is the pre-order texture for the Primes. Just gold plated.

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

The Adder has only 16 tons of pod space, so you're only gonna get a maximum of 4 external DHS for your pair of CERPPCs (assuming you strip out the Targeting Computer that comes stock). Running 2 ERPPCs with 14 DHS, especially when your base 10 aren't all in the engine (small engine on the Puma), is probably gonna be pretty hard...

#17 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostGat, on 24 April 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

The new shots of the Timber Wolf look a lot better. The legs are still bulkey but they look a lot more like a Timber Wolf.
Posted Image

I said I didn't want to discuss Timber Wolf here. Never saw these screenshots anywhere, not even in the other 2 Timberwolf threads I looked through. Looking at it from the front it's good enough, it's just looking at it from the side looks terrible.

With that said, I'll just say once again how sexily awesome the Adder looks. ;)

#18 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 April 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

The Adder has only 16 tons of pod space, so you're only gonna get a maximum of 4 external DHS for your pair of CERPPCs (assuming you strip out the Targeting Computer that comes stock). Running 2 ERPPCs with 14 DHS, especially when your base 10 aren't all in the engine (small engine on the Puma), is probably gonna be pretty hard...

However, running a single ERPPC and two external DHS should be plenty, freeing up 8 tons to do whatever you want to with while retaining a hotgauss. ERPPC, SSRM6, 2 ERMLas, 1 ton of ammo, BAP, 3 external DHS (bringing you to 13 DHS). Virtual equivalent of a Gauss Rifle, One and a half Large Lasers, AND an Oxide Hero Mech duct-taped together.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 April 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#19 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

That gold timber wolf screenshots is from last night.

I, like Lucky Moniker have used Adder based IS lights. They work well. You cannot be a mindless alpha striker, you need to time your shots and properly manage your heat.

I will prefer to run it with LPL vs the Erppc.

#20 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostLucky Moniker, on 23 April 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

2 IS erppcs work just fine on a jenner with the same loadout :)

And jump jets >_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users