- - - - -

Mech Lab

15 replies to this topic

#1 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm ready to buy my first mech but the layout of the lab is different than what u see on YouTube videos. How do u per view mech and look at stats and where is the add mech slot?

#2 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Sorry, that's pretty much what you've got to go by until UI 2.0 gets a pass.
What are you looking for in a 'Mech?

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 24 April 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Mechlab > Filter: Purchasable > select mech > Mech Details

Note that builds used in player videos are most likely upgraded, personalized loadouts. Most mechs cost quite a bit to fully upgrade.

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

At mechlab, select "purchasable", top left of mech selection box. You can mouse over the mechs to learn their details (i think you might be able to select mech details if you select one. It might appear at the lower right side of your screen.

#5 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm thinking a heavy cat. I love the LRMs but can u keep the LRMS and have some good close range weapons on it to?

#6 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostDashia, on 24 April 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

I'm thinking a heavy cat. I love the LRMs but can u keep the LRMS and have some good close range weapons on it to?

Catapults are alright. They're mostly missiles with some some lasers and jump capability. Big targets though.
The Jaggermech JM6-A is a very flexible go-to in the heavy 'Mech range. Missiles, energy, ballistics but no jump.
The Shadowhawk is a good high-end medium with missiles and a mix of other firepower with jump-jets.

What do you think of the trial 'Mechs.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 24 April 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#7 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I like the heavy mech do to armor and weapon power the LRMS lock on I love.what do u think of the orin or the thunderbolt?

#8 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostDashia, on 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I like the heavy mech do to armor and weapon power the LRMS lock on I love.what do u think of the orin or the thunderbolt?

I've not personally tried the Orion but once on the test server. It has variants with good hard-points but slightly sub-optimal hardpoint layout. It may be a bit slower than you're used to since it's 75 tons. It's fairly large. It's good for LRMS, great for SRMs (arm mounted launchers. SRMs are still a bit suck though.)

The Thunderbolt is okay, it's better for lasers / worse for missiles in general than the Orion. It has large side torsos, which is a liability if you want to run XL engines. If you got the promo TDR-9S variant it has high mounted energy hard-points that are good for hill sniping. If not, the TDR-5S has a large launcher, though it is somewhat of a target. Not the most agile 'Mech for it's weight class but good enough.

Both spread significant firepower between their right and left torsos, which is good for experienced players using standard engine builds.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 24 April 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

The Orion is a pretty solid mech, though not as strong as a Cataphract 3D or a Victor because it lacks jump jets. It works like a turret -- the legs move slowly, but the torso and arms provide a wide movement range. Most Orions can pack a lot of firepower, including major missile volleys. The VA variant would make a good LRM boat with many other setups also viable.

The test servers for the next patch will go up in about an hour. Whatever you buy there will not cost you on your actual account, so perhaps try an Orion there. As a bonus, finishing 5 matches on the test servers will score you a free day of premium time.

Edited by Modo44, 24 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#10 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Thanks guys this really helps if u ever want to help a noob out join me or add or whatever idk how to do all that stuff yet

#11 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostDashia, on 24 April 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

join me or add or whatever idk how to do all that stuff yet

It's that tiny lumpy-people icon between 'PURCHASE MC' and 'settings'

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Also, here is the official ui 2.0 quick guide

#13 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

If you like to lock on with missiles, you can try the catapult a1. It comes with 6 missile hardpoints, so you can use 2 for lrms and 4 for ssrm (streak). Add artemis to improve the missiles' performance. Since both require lock, it would be easier for you to use until you get used to direct fire weapons (they're good too). They also have a "sweet spot" of 180-270m where you can fire both for max dmg.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

The K2 was my first Heavy mech. Catapults may not be the most powerful mechs, but they are still solid and perfectly useful. They are somewhat more agile than most heavies with good torso twist.

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostDashia, on 24 April 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

As a vet, can I give you some advice on that?

Don't overdo the LRM part of your loadout. LRMs always seem attractive to new players. You get to hang at the back, spam missiles at remote targets, and you don't need to aim.

However, that comes at a price. First, you'll get average scores at best. Second, you won't be learning/enjoying the broader MW experience of situational awareness, aiming autocannons, holding lasers on target, learning how to lag-shoot with PPCs etc. Ie its a very limited version of being a MechWarrior.

So I recommend you take a more diverse loadout. Buy something which can take a 15 or 20 rack of LRMs BUT ALSO has ballistic and energy slots. You'll overall enjoy the game more.

Catapults have a large CT and go down quickly if you're not experienced. A Cataphract with a standard engine is probably a better choice. Or Jagers, even though they have less armor. Personally I like Victors which, even though they are Assaults, are closer to Heavies in terms of speed.

Edited by Appogee, 26 April 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#16 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Basically, follow the Billy Mays approach:

Here are my LRMs that are raining down on you right now, BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! I also have an AC20 for you good sir, right in the face, and you ma'm are about to get 2 Large Lasers right in the torso. More to come if you stick with us for the next 5 minutes, with discounts on death destruction, and a special bonus of MAYHEM!

A well rounded mech will not excel at any one role, but it will do ALL of them, and is a terrifying monster to behold.

The Orions are one of the mechs I always recommend simply for the sheer firepower they can bring. Even though it's a heavy, it has firepower equal to, if not more than some Assault mechs.

As someone who has played and designed builds for every variant in the game, I can say that LRMs, are fun, but that's one role. There's nothing wrong with sticking to that one role, but you should try to experiment with other roles. Especially since you're still new to the game.

Here are some builds you might like:

Note1: Consult my guide on mech building, it has several tips that can help you in the long run. I would also appreciate some feedback to help make it more new-player friendly.

Note2:I only posted builds for standard mechs, not the hero mechs, if you want hero mech builds, just ask, and I will post those as well. I'm also pretty sure we've got plenty of people here with designs for hero mechs, some bordering on insanity.

Catapults
Spoiler

Orions
Spoiler

The Cataphract chassis is the more Dakka-oriented of the heavies (along with the Jagermech, the poster child of dakka) Carries tons of ballistics with some energy weapons in there too.

The Ilya, and the Protector, are the hero mechs of the Cataphract and the Orion chassis respectively. Both are considered two of the best hero mechs out there.

The Jester is the hero mech of the Catapult line and it is a pure energy boat with devastating firepower, however, you want to know how to manage your heat when piloting that one, because it will always run hot. (with 6 energy hardpoints, you bet it will) It's a good hero mech as well, but requires you to have good fire control and heat management.

EDIT: Hope this helps.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 26 April 2014 - 06:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users