The Next Few Clan Mechs...

32 replies to this topic

Poll: The next few clan mechs (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you like to see next?

1. Mad Dog (54 votes [15.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.04%

2. Gargoyle (18 votes [5.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.01%

3. Ice Ferret (17 votes [4.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

4. Stone Rhino (13 votes [3.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

5. Executioner (28 votes [7.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.80%

6. Hellbringer (37 votes [10.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.31%

7. Conjurer (10 votes [2.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

8. Pouncer (6 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

9. Fire Moth (21 votes [5.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.85%

10. Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron Born) (27 votes [7.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.52%

11. Super Nova (15 votes [4.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.18%

12. Piranha (11 votes [3.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

13. Mist Lynx (15 votes [4.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.18%

14. Viper (16 votes [4.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

15. Kingfisher (9 votes [2.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

16. Shadow Cat (48 votes [13.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.37%

17. Linebacker (14 votes [3.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

What Clan mechs would you like to see next?

Edited by Gyrok, 29 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

For heavies I'd like to see the Cauldron Born. It would have a bit more pod space than a Mad Cat, even after you add on more armor to the chassis (it appears, from the command chair, that we may be able to change armor values, just not the armor type).

The Hellbringer would be inferior to the C-Born because it lacks Endo and FF. The Vulture might be okay, although 60 tons is fairly crappy tonnage interval for heavy mechs (the worst interval, in fact).

For assaults, the obvious choice is the Executioner. The Gargoyle would be utter trash due to having an XL400 and shitty pod space. Of course, the Gladiator has pretty crappy pod space as well, but it's not as bad off as the Garg. The Supernova isn't an Omnimech, so it would probably roflstomp all of the Omnis due to not being constricted by limited customization. Stone Rhino is impossible due to Harmony Gold, and it overlaps with the Daishi's tonnage interval anyways.

For mediums, I dunno. The Ice Ferret would give Clans a very fast small mech (which they need), but it has extremely pathetic pod space. The Pouncer, well, nobody's even heard of it. It would basically be another Kit Fox/Adder clone but with less pod space (if you add more armor). The Conjurer isn't even an Omnimech.

For lights, the Piranha is cool but it's 20 tons, which would probably make it suck. Hard. It also isn't even an Omnimech. The Dasher has the same tonnage issue but is an Omnimech.

Edited by FupDup, 29 April 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#3 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

A jump-capable light is missing: Mist Lynx.
And while we are at it, a Cicada with jumpjets: Viper.

And the 90t Kingfisher is missing on your list.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Shadow Cat

#5 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

MadDog and Hellbringer are likely out unless PGI can surpass the Macross license barrier. MadDog (Vulture) shares the upper body of the Archer (Spartan Destroid) while the whole Loki (Hellbringer) is still too much a near clone of the Warhammer (Tomahawk Destroid).

#6 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostDI3T3R, on 29 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

A jump-capable light is missing: Mist Lynx.
And while we are at it, a Cicada with jumpjets: Viper.

And the 90t Kingfisher is missing on your list.

Pouncer = Adder + JJs

Kingfisher I grant you, I missed that one...though the mist lynx and viper I will add for the sake of it, though I was not impressed.

View PostElyam, on 29 April 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

MadDog and Hellbringer are likely out unless PGI can surpass the Macross license barrier. MadDog (Vulture) shares the upper body of the Archer (Spartan Destroid) while the whole Loki (Hellbringer) is still too much a near clone of the Warhammer (Tomahawk Destroid).

They already have the Battlemaster and other reseen mechs in game. Only the HG mechs are the issue. So far as I am aware, neither the Mad Dog or the Hellbringer are on the unseen list currently...

#7 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

No, they have never been on the official list, but they've always been a sticky point since license challenges could still come any time someone uses them. And to your other point, the Unseen presently in MWO are from Dougram and Crusher Joe, but the Macross designs remain unused, and as far as anyone knows, unavailable (we can only pray that hidden negotiations may have occurred and will lead to a happy special Phoenix Christmas...).

Edited by Elyam, 29 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#8 cmdr_scotty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationOutreach Mech hanger B-201, Bay 15A

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

there might not be a huge issue with the mad dog and hellbringer due to them being in mechwarrior 4, seems that those may just need some reimaging (as also seems the case with all the mechs in mwo got).

#9 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostElyam, on 29 April 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Absolute nonsense. Those Mechs have nothing to do with Macross, stop riling.

#10 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

MadDog and Hellbringer arn't on the unseen list so there shouldn't be any problem with them. And the MadDog is the single most wanted clan mech not yet slated by pgi for its arrival. You can be money it will be in. I bet money it shows up in a 'saber reinforcement pack' like style a month before the release of clan mechs. Oh, and I want the Super Nova! 90tons of clan ERLL Jumping Madness! Would name that thing the Wabbajack!

#11 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 29 April 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

For heavies I'd like to see the Cauldron Born. It would have a bit more pod space than a Mad Cat, even after you add on more armor to the chassis (it appears, from the command chair, that we may be able to change armor values, just not the armor type).

The Hellbringer would be inferior to the C-Born because it lacks Endo and FF. The Vulture might be okay, although 60 tons is fairly crappy tonnage interval for heavy mechs (the worst interval, in fact).

For assaults, the obvious choice is the Executioner. The Gargoyle would be utter trash due to having an XL400 and shitty pod space. Of course, the Gladiator has pretty crappy pod space as well, but it's not as bad off as the Garg. The Supernova isn't an Omnimech, so it would probably roflstomp all of the Omnis due to not being constricted by limited customization. Stone Rhino is impossible due to Harmony Gold, and it overlaps with the Daishi's tonnage interval anyways.

For mediums, I dunno. The Ice Ferret would give Clans a very fast small mech (which they need), but it has extremely pathetic pod space. The Pouncer, well, nobody's even heard of it. It would basically be another Kit Fox/Adder clone but with less pod space (if you add more armor). The Conjurer isn't even an Omnimech.

For lights, the Piranha is cool but it's 20 tons, which would probably make it suck. Hard. It also isn't even an Omnimech. The Dasher has the same tonnage issue but is an Omnimech.

One I would really like to see is the Linebacker :lol:

#12 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Not a lot of votes...but a lot of views...?

#13 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

Pretty much any/all found in the TRO 3050 book. After that, they lose my interest (mechs got too "organic" looking).

#14 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

I would imagine that PGI would probably stick to "OmniMechs Only" for a while, to emphasize the difference between the Clans and the IS (and because Clan Standard BattleMechs, having access to Clan Tech while (probably) not sharing the restrictions of the OmniMechs, would render the Omnis largely obsolete from a metagaming perspective).
Moreover, virtually none of the Clan Non-Omni 'Mech have the needed three (3) timeline-appropriate variants until the late 3050s or early-to-mid 3060s.
As such, the Piranha, Hellhound, Hunchback IIC, Supernova, Kodiak, and so on - all Clan non-OmniMechs - are (IMO) unlikely to be included in the near term, if ever.

That being said, PGI would have 22 or so 3051-3052 Clan OmniMechs not included in the initial Clan Package (Dasher, Koshi, Dragonfly, Fenris, Vulture, Loki, Man O' War, Gladiator, Hankyu, Battle Cobra, Pouncer, Shadow Cat, Stooping Hawk, Nobori-nin, Crossbow, Cauldron-Born, Kingfisher, Fire Falcon, Phantom, Black Lanner, Night Gyr, and Turkina) to choose from - easily enough to pair one new Clan OmniMech with one new IS BattleMech (of which there are about 26 or so that would have enough variants & fit the timeline/era) for a monthly release for nearly two years (and, by the time they run out of those, additional Clan Omnis would likely have come into timeline-appropriateness, anyway).

Of those, I might not necessarily mind getting my IS-loyal hands on a Cauldron-Born if they use the correct, largely-symmetrical fuselage design (albeit raised to include a torso-twist joint, like the other not-normally-twisting 'Mechs) and NOT the hideous MW4 design.

Good (symmetric main fuselage) Cauldron-Born :D:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bad (asymmetric main fuselage) Cauldron-Born :excl::
Posted Image

#15 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Mad Dog all the way! :)

#16 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostElyam, on 29 April 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

No, they have never been on the official list, but they've always been a sticky point since license challenges could still come any time someone uses them.

Hasn't stopped the Mad Dog from appearing in, literally, EVERY Mechwarrior game since 2, a buttload of Microsoft gaming advertising in the early 2000's, and even that craptastic Battletech cartoon (Of which, I am so kicking myself for not getting a toy of that when I was a kid).

Edited by Firelizard, 30 April 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#17 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

Greetings all,

PGI has stated that there will only be 8 Clan Mech's within the first design run through. We know of these first 8 from the packs, leaving quite a few chassis available to be fielded.

We have 2 Mech chassis from each weight class in the packs.
- Given the Lore that Clans fielded balanced or supporting Mech elements within their Star of 5 Mech's, there will have to be a overlap or duplicate chassis from what we have now. [if 2 Stars are to be fielded.]
- There can be mix's of Omni-pods fielded for matching chassis so that may do.

The majority of the first wave of Clan mech's consisted of all front line chassis, so any new designs from PGI should also follow that line of introduction. It wasn't until the second wave started arriving that any second line Mech chassis showed up, these were used to mop up, secure, and hold the Planets and locations that had been captured. This allowed the front line elements to be moved on to the next battle, location, or repair and rearm.

- So whatever the next pack of Clan Mechs are, if PGI follows the Lore and depending on the in-game timeline, we should either start to see additional front line chassis (some unique to specific Clan factions) or the introduction of the second line units.
- Timeline wise, only chassis fielded around 3049 to 3051 should be present.
- If PGI issues a "support" pack for the Clans, similar to the Phoenix series, it could consist of 1 of each weight class for 4 new chassis. But they could go any direction, as I'm sure that Alex has nearly all the Clan Mech's sketched up at some point or another.

The standard listing for the Can invasion Mech's in 3050 consisted of 16 chassis. 4 within each weight class.

- Light:
Dasher/Fire Moth - 20T
Koshi/Mist Lynx - 25T
Uller/Kit Fox - 30T (have)
Puma/Adder - 35T (have)

- Medium:
Dragonfly/Viper - 40T
Fenris/Ice Ferret - 45T
Black Hawk/Nova - 50T (have)
Ryoken/Stormcrow - 55T (have)

- Heavy:
Vulture/Mad Dog - 60T
Loki/Hellbringer - 65T
Thor/Summoner - 70T (have)
Mad Cat/Timber Wolf - 75T (have)

- Assaults:
Man O' War/Gargoyle - 80T
Masakari/Warhawk - 85T (have)
Gladiator/Executioner - 95T
Daishi/Dire Wolf - 100T (have)

Now if the art work follows even some of the design of the Mechs, there are similar parts between quite a few chassis. Hence, Omni. Matching legs and arms shared through these 16 Mech's. Here's a sample image of older art work showing this similarity. And the 8 we have now appear to follow this design aspect. So this should cut down on a lot of the new chassis art work.

Posted Image

Note: I know the art team and design have already changed quite a bit of the older styles, but they are still similar profiles.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 01 May 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#18 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 April 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

I would imagine that PGI would probably stick to "OmniMechs Only" for a while, to emphasize the difference between the Clans and the IS (and because Clan Standard BattleMechs, having access to Clan Tech while (probably) not sharing the restrictions of the OmniMechs, would render the Omnis largely obsolete from a metagaming perspective).
Moreover, virtually none of the Clan Non-Omni 'Mech have the needed three (3) timeline-appropriate variants until the late 3050s or early-to-mid 3060s.
As such, the Piranha, Hellhound, Hunchback IIC, Supernova, Kodiak, and so on - all Clan non-OmniMechs - are (IMO) unlikely to be included in the near term, if ever.

That being said, PGI would have 22 or so 3051-3052 Clan OmniMechs not included in the initial Clan Package (Dasher, Koshi, Dragonfly, Fenris, Vulture, Loki, Man O' War, Gladiator, Hankyu, Battle Cobra, Pouncer, Shadow Cat, Stooping Hawk, Nobori-nin, Crossbow, Cauldron-Born, Kingfisher, Fire Falcon, Phantom, Black Lanner, Night Gyr, and Turkina) to choose from - easily enough to pair one new Clan OmniMech with one new IS BattleMech (of which there are about 26 or so that would have enough variants & fit the timeline/era) for a monthly release for nearly two years (and, by the time they run out of those, additional Clan Omnis would likely have come into timeline-appropriateness, anyway).

Of those, I might not necessarily mind getting my IS-loyal hands on a Cauldron-Born if they use the correct, largely-symmetrical fuselage design (albeit raised to include a torso-twist joint, like the other not-normally-twisting 'Mechs) and NOT the hideous MW4 design.

Good (symmetric main fuselage) Cauldron-Born :):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bad (asymmetric main fuselage) Cauldron-Born :angry::
Posted Image

hey, the MW4 version was ok, it certainly lived up to it's reputation of being able to take ridiculous amounts of damage before falling.

#19 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 01 May 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

hey, the MW4 version was ok, it certainly lived up to it's reputation of being able to take ridiculous amounts of damage before falling.

'Twas still hideous, and overly asymmetric when it shouldn't have been so.

MechWarrior 3 got it right; why couldn't MW4?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 May 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

'Twas still hideous, and overly asymmetric when it shouldn't have been so.

MechWarrior 3 got it right; why couldn't MW4?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully MWO can nail it...maybe we shall even get the linebacker too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users