283 replies to this topic

#41 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 05 May 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

I dropped a few with him and it's nice to see a beginner who is eager to learn, we had some fun games, a couple a bit chaotic but good:)
Sorry to be all Miyagi Sensei on you fella-but tactics are important too:P
Did you get to watch that light video?

Yup...watched the video, and was already doing much of those tactics...but not very well yet.

I'll drop with you anytime and try to pick up any tip and trick you want to offer sensei

#42 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

I tried the ER LL builds on my 3L and 5D, but didn't like them. The 3L has missile hard points, so it can mount streaks. Why the heck would you NOT put streaks on this mech? I have streaks, mlas and a tag on mine, and I regularly do 600+ damage with this mech. On my 5D in order to mount dual LL I felt I had to make too many compromises for too little benefit. I run 3 mplas on mine, I will not switch them out for nearly anything. (Maybe I will if a new better weapon comes out, but not very likely.)

Probably the biggest challenges for lights are knowing when to engage, who to engage and when to disengage. Once the decision is made to engage, knowing how to effectively use your JJ and ECM if equipped comes in to play.

As far as disengaging, the most important consideration is which way are you going to move to get yourself out of a bad situation. Never, never, never move in a straight line, and if you have jump jets, try to keep your jumps short.

Edited by mailin, 05 May 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#43 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

View Postmailin, on 05 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

I tried the ER LL builds on my 3L and 5D, but didn't like them. The 3L has missile hard points, so it can mount streaks. Why the heck would you NOT put streaks on this mech?

Honestly? Because its lack of jumpjets means that once you've maneuvered to USE those streaks, you are less capable of exiting the situation if it turns bad...and with 2xERLL you can rack up 1000+ games pretty easily from 600m-800m out, never taking a hit.

I'm not saying streaks on a 3L can't be effective...there's a reason they were TERRIFYING when nothing would ever register on a 3L...just that meta-Ravens offer a better dmg done/dmg taken ratio pretty often.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 05 May 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#44 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

For the Raven 3-L, I put Streaks and flamers on mine.
Posted Image
Shot by Lordred. Check out more here.

Nothing stands a chance. Especially lights.

Today's the last day of my college finals! I'll have some freedom soon™!

When I do (probably around 9 PM Eastern) I'll be doing plenty of drops.

Perhaps someone'll see or drop with me?
This was last night after watching some Ghost in the Shell: Arise. (Good show; don't like changing the major prothestics origins ["never had a body" versus "first full body prothestic at a young age"] or the redesign for Saito. Am enjoying the 501st background, though).
Pretty hard fight. One leg, center cored, bad shape and way too much brawling.
Posted Image

(If you're wondering. 3 ML, 1 LB, 1 AC/2, 2 streaks.)

#45 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

I'd love to run with you sometime Koniving

But 9pm is a little late with the family and work early the next day.....

I tried the ER LL builds on my 3L and 5D, but didn't like them. The 3L has missile hard points, so it can mount streaks. Why the heck would you NOT put streaks on this mech? I have streaks, mlas and a tag on mine, and I regularly do 600+ damage with this mech. On my 5D in order to mount dual LL I felt I had to make too many compromises for too little benefit. I run 3 mplas on mine, I will not switch them out for nearly anything. (Maybe I will if a new better weapon comes out, but not very likely.)

Probably the biggest challenges for lights are knowing when to engage, who to engage and when to disengage. Once the decision is made to engage, knowing how to effectively use your JJ and ECM if equipped comes in to play.

As far as disengaging, the most important consideration is which way are you going to move to get yourself out of a bad situation. Never, never, never move in a straight line, and if you have jump jets, try to keep your jumps short.

I'm with you...didn't like the compromises I had to make to mount ERLLs on the raven...

#46 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Kon, 3 flamers + streaks and 400 damage?
Good man!
I run my Grid Iron with 2 mgs+flamer on right arm for close in-surprising how effective it can be......
I put SRM6+A, 1 Large pulse and medium pulse in the head. All the major weapons are on the LEFT side of the mech-peeps always go for right hunch......then get a nasty shock:)

Edited by kamiko kross, 05 May 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#47 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

bulletsponge,

Like you, I learned the hardway when it comes to what works for me too. Fast mediums are my specialty. 90 - 120 kph is the sweet spot for me.

If you like going fast and carrying a little more fire power, I really like the Quickdraw. It plays more like a medium than a heavy, especially with a 300-360 size engine. I have all 3 mastered and they are my favorite chassis. 106 kph with the 360 engine, jumpjets and nearly 40 alpha strikes. They do have a reputation for loosing their legs, so never skimp on the leg armor.

Jody

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 05 May 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Kon, 3 flamers + streaks and 400 damage?
Good man!
I run my Grid Iron with 2 mgs+flamer on right arm for close in-surprising how effective it can be......
I put SRM6+A, 1 Large pulse and medium pulse in the head. All the major weapons are on the LEFT side of the mech-peeps always go for right hunch......then get a nasty shock:)

Thank you. Yay @ someone seeing this quote just beyond the image link:

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

In the one match, I had 4 kills with the flamer 3-L, and 400 or so damage.

I run a flamer on my banshee for fun at times too. Not so much on Hunchbacks these days (but I have a flaming Dragon),.

My Grid Iron will still need some getting used to. Still not happy with it. Got an LRM + AC combination going for now.

Squeezed in some more firestarter matches. Here's the results. I screen capped all three matches.
Spoiler

It's still using 2 SL, 4 MGs, 1 MPL. The speed is good practice for an Adder (Puma), as Clan mechs are locked to their engines.

View PostBulletsponge0, on 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

I'd love to run with you sometime Koniving But 9pm is a little late with the family and work early the next day..... I'm with you...didn't like the compromises I had to make to mount ERLLs on the raven...

Truth be told, I did this to a Raven 2X. I love it to be honest. But it can be difficult at times.
Playful language but language warning nonetheless.

Twin PPCs + a tag (makes sure I can hit before I waste the shot). Takes even more sacrifice to make it work, but the results are pretty instant. Mind you the vid is old, it's an interesting premise (and elited it runs so much better than it did there; that was also before the Raven buffs).

Edited by Koniving, 05 May 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#49 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

just had a match..4 kills...5 assists....465 damage....

died because I made a tactical mistake...ran right into the two remaining enemy (no ecm, but they didn't show on my sensors for some reason)

good news...another Raven finished the job :)

one match...2 ravens...6 kills for the team

FEAR THE RAVEN! lol

#50 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

follow up match to that one...

got rolled 12-1

0 kills 0 assists...63 damage :)

#51 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

ok...since the patch today I've noticed 2 things...

the matchmaker seems to hate me....had 4 0-12 roflstomps against me in a row

my armor is now made of wet toilet paper....I swear I got cored by a tag laser......

#52 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 06 May 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

my armor is now made of wet toilet paper....I swear I got cored by a tag laser......

As a heavy pilot, music to my ears, brother :)

#53 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 06 May 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

As a heavy pilot, music to my ears, brother :)

happened when I was in my VTR-DS too....not just the raven

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 06 May 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

The matchmaker seems to hate me....had 4 0-12 roflstomps against me in a row

I mentioned how bad 3/3/3/3 would be. :) But no one believed me.

So what mech? I can help you reallocate the armor.

Also, I bring two tags. You got double-cored!
Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 06 May 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#55 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 May 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

I mentioned how bad 3/3/3/3 would be. :) But no one believed me.

So what mech? I can help you reallocate the armor.

Raven... Dragon Slayer....some nights it seems like I'm invincible, others, like tonight, it seems like baby farts core my CT...

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 06 May 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Raven... Dragon Slayer....some nights it seems like I'm invincible, others, like tonight, it seems like baby farts core my CT...

Weapons and speed? Don't need the full details.

#57 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Try these allocations next time you head into the field. Forget whether or not the variant matches.

Raven. If you're using a ranged build, allocate the higher rear CT armor to the front instead, as they can still hit front CT if they hit the nose.

For the Dragon Slayer, try this. If you brawl excessively, channel 10 more points to rear CT, but nowhere else. If you fight at range, channel all but 3 points rear STs to the front. You'd be amazed at the difference. The rear STs are tiny but the rear CT is pretty big. On the other hand the front STs are huge but the front CT is so tiny you could fit it inside a laser beam. Thanks PGI! It's bigger than it used to be, and any hits aiming for your head will always hit CT, so you still have to have it up high.

Edited by Koniving, 06 May 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#58 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 May 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Try these allocations next time you head into the field. Forget whether or not the variant matches.

Raven. If you're using a ranged build, allocate the higher rear CT armor to the front instead, as they can still hit front CT if they hit the nose.

For the Dragon Slayer, try this. If you brawl excessively, channel 10 more points to rear CT, but nowhere else. If you fight at range, channel all but 3 points rear STs to the front. You'd be amazed at the difference. The rear STs are tiny but the rear CT is pretty big. On the other hand the front STs are huge but the front CT is so tiny you could fit it inside a laser beam. Thanks PGI! It's bigger than it used to be, and any hits aiming for your head will always hit CT, so you still have to have it up high.
raven is a 3 ml 2 ssrm RVN-3L...and I brawl with my DS

#59 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

I remember my first 8 kills, it is a match you never forget,
Posted Image

Edited by William Conrad, 07 May 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#60 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

My favorite build on the SDR-5D was ERPPC+1 or 2 MLs. With max armor, almost max JJs, and I think XL 255.

EDIT: NVM, rummaged through my mech designs database and found the actual build:

SDR-5D Thorn in the side

Edited by IraqiWalker, 07 May 2014 - 01:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users