3 replies to this topic

#1 GoCanes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but what I would like to see is pre-drop preparations somewhat similar to Dust514 - where you can change your role/loadout prior to drop. The pre-drop preparations in MWO would consist of you choosing a set of 4 mechs (one of each weight class) to be loaded in your bay on the dropship. If you do not own mechs in one of the weight classes, the trial mech for that weight class would automatically be loaded into your bay. You would then queue up and hopefully be able to choose the mode(s) you prefer for mission requests. Once you are in the drop screen (where we currently set commanders and hit the ready button), you would see the planet assigned for your mission. This would allow pilots to choose a mech that has great heat dissipation on higher temperature planets, or have some comfort knowing that a mech that runs hot will be more effective on a cold temperature planet.

The Rule of Threes could be implemented by having each lance contain a slot for each weight class. If a 4 man group queues up, the group leader would choose a lance and the individual group members would then choose their role within the lance. Solo and 2 or 3 man groups would be put into put in order of ELO (similar to the drafting in Smite and League of Legends ranked games). Highest ELO would choose a slot within an open lance to match the weight class of mech they want to pilot, then the next highest ELO would choose, and so on until all slots are filled. You might even give founders first preference as a benefit (but it's likely they would have higher ELO than non-founders anyways).

Another possibility for lance composition would be to have a weight limit per lance (275 tons per lance for example). This would allow a lance to have two assault mechs and two light mechs, or one assault mech and 3 medium mechs, or two heavy mechs and two medium mechs, or end up following the Rule of Threes and have one of each weight class. The ELO based drafting I discussed above could still be used which would allow high ELO players (or possibly founders) to have several options available.

I feel that a pre-drop preparation system would allow much faster matchmaking because the algorithm would only have to consider game mode choices and ELO. All the team composition choices would be done through the draft system. Based on this design, instead of waiting to search/join/ready with current matchmaking system, we would have a very fast search/join step and a more involved drafting process which will be reduce the "well, i definitely chose the wrong mech for this map" moments and allow high ELO players the ability to choose mechs that they can pilot well and prefer for certain planets/modes.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Or, people could stop designing one-trick ponies. Adaptability is not a sin.

#3 GoCanes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 29 April 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

Or, people could stop designing one-trick ponies. Adaptability is not a sin.

That's actually my point. Instead of always using a Raven 3L or a Jenner 7F or Atlas DDC, those one trick ponies might be forced to use a different mech because the slots for their favorite is already filled. If the high ELO players want to run one trick ponies, that's the benefit of being high ELO.

#4 CEOAnexor

Rookie

• The God
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but what I would like to see is pre-drop preparations somewhat similar to Dust514 - where you can change your role/loadout prior to drop. The pre-drop preparations in MWO would consist of you choosing a set of 4 mechs (one of each weight class) to be loaded in your bay on the dropship. If you do not own mechs in one of the weight classes, the trial mech for that weight class would automatically be loaded into your bay. You would then queue up and hopefully be able to choose the mode(s) you prefer for mission requests. Once you are in the drop screen (where we currently set commanders and hit the ready button), you would see the planet assigned for your mission. This would allow pilots to choose a mech that has great heat dissipation on higher temperature planets, or have some comfort knowing that a mech that runs hot will be more effective on a cold temperature planet.

I agree. Basically you need to be able to pick from a few mechs that you have ready to launch, so you can deal with heat and maybe even choose one with the right camo.

Cold maps are generally white, so you have your mech that runs hot, with white camo and you pick it when alpine shows up etc...

However, I dont agree with the elo stuff simply because I want to play the mech I want to play and don't want to be forced to run a light mech just because someone took the heavy.

So instead of grouping up all 24 players, the game should group 12 players, put them together, and allow them to choose mechs from their bay for heat, camo, and most importantly team composition. None has ecm? Ok ill take out my Atlas and give coverage.

Once your group of 12 has picked their mechs your group is put into the search for another group of 12 with comparable stats for matchmaking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users