97 replies to this topic

#41 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

I am too but you know....pretty much everyone thinks that everything is wrong and they just want to complain so...I decided to jump on the band wagon so they realize how childish some can be. I still play and I've purchased all top tier packs and such. I love Mech Games. I like this one. but this is the internet and the forums. we must conform for only the internet is right.
Posted Image

#42 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 May 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

The error in that logic is that it takes a lot of tonnage to fill in the ballistic slots. I'm not saying the Dragon or the hero Quickdraw is bad (well, they are) but it does eat a lot of tonnage to get them where they need to be. Even the tri-AC2 dakka Dragon is hard to field due to the amount of ammo you'd have to carry.

While I understand, and agree, that weapons should be self balancing: they're not. This means we have a straight pecking order of weapons ACs > LRMS > PPCs > Lasers > Gauss > Pulse-lasers > SRMs > MGs with LRMs only recently moving towards the head of the pack (again).

#43 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 07 May 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Unfortunately any of the 55 tonners that have JJ can do everything this hero mech can, but better,

Actually, there is only one 55 ton variant that even comes close to the IV-Four when comparing Jumpjets and Hardpoints. The WVR-6R and it only has 1 energy hardpoint in the head and 1 ballistic in the right arm. I also see about as many Wolverines in matches as I do Quickdraws.

I know you'll play the Shadowhawk card, but that's an apples and oranges comparison. For one thing, the field of view sucks on a Shadowhawk. Those canons sticking out the left side of the cockpit just get in the way. Want to kill a Shadowhawk quickly? Approach from back left side. And none of the variants have ballistic hardpoints anywhere but the left torso.

As I said above though, I totally agree with you as far as the engine cap goes. PGI really gimped the IV-Four with that engine cap.

Jody

#44 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9adb61aa77df6d9

I like it. I WANT IT.

#45 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Uhg. I don't like that the only way to get a ballitic Jumping 60 ton mech is to pay money. With the Misery, you always have the alternative of a battlemaster, but there is no other like this.

Thanks Phil.

#46 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

I hope they are "playing it safe" to see how the hero reacts in gameplay before considering possible buffs- nerfing a cash item is a terrible move, but a poorly performing cash item you can buff is safe.

#47 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostDoomsday, on 06 May 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

its based on stock, not potential. stock is 300 just like the TRO

I also run them and have not found it necessary to max out an engine on a heavy, especially on a fire support mech as was intended for this design; also in the TRO

For balance purposes they have allowed some mechs to go higher than their base stock engine normally would allow, for instance the Raven 2X/4X got an increase a while back, among others That's all I'm saying, a maximum of 290 for a Quickdraw isn't that quick, where perhaps a 325 would be more reasonable.

#48 Henry Buzz Gerber

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(london uk)

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Good choice for the quickdraw hero, ballistics. Going to name mine Clint. lol

#49 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

I stand by my original statements when ballistics on a Quickdraw was proposed: Not appropriate for this 'mech.

The IV-4 as it is put together can function like other Quickdraws, but less effectively thanks to a reduced number of energy hardpoints and slower engine, and it can function somewhat like a Cataphract 3D, but frailer and with less large-ballistic options, as well as a larger (and thus easier to hit) profile. So it's.... well, it's not unusable. But it's not comparable to other Quickdraws.

The main issue here comes from the dual ballistics, which eat scads of tonnage and force a low base engine rating on the thing. Given that the Quickdraw was already given the 'tradeoff' of huge 'mech size and reduced agility to 'compensate' for having a high top speed, reducing the engine rating drastically like this makes basically no sense. Besides that, dual ballistics incline the 'mech towards a different function altogether, as they don't behave in the same fashion as energy weapons (aside from the PPC). It can't even zombie very well because as any Quickdraw pilot will tell you, the legs and center torso will go before the side torsos- something like 90% of the time. Side torsos on QKDs are tiny compared to the rest of the 'mech and once the arms are gone, the center torso will get hit when you're shot in the side, all the time.

Just to cap this off, the only places the default loadout has maximum armor besides the head are the tiny side torsos, which is just bad planning on a 'mech with the Quickdraw's hitbox proportions.

The weapons and armor default loadout is much more appropriate to a 'mech with a different physical shape, and the same goes for the engine rating range. Given that the Cataphract 3D does pretty much everything the IV-Four does aside from mounting missiles (and while only costing C-bills rather than MC), and the rest of it can be done as well if not better by the JM6-A (which also doesn't cost MC), I'm simply not impressed.

I love Quickdraws (as if my pilot name didn't hint that already), but I'm exceedingly unlikely to ever try piloting this thing. And if I do, I'm liable to not use the ballistic hardpoints- or use only one of them. 'Hero Quickdraw' could have been used for something much more interesting. Even mounting a single-ballistic shoulder would have been a more interesting choice (as arms go pretty quickly on Quickdraws).

It has a niche, but it's a niche that didn't need filling.

-QKD-CR0

#50 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 07 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

For those complaining about the engine limit, the devs had to balance the thing somehow. It's got a pair of ballistics and a pair of missiles, this makes it fairly powerful. It were as fast as normal variants, people would be screaming P2W! Gimping as they have, means they've stuck to their never P2W model - and I for appreciate that.

Not really necessary, since ballistic weapons and a fast engine are mutually exclusive in a 60-ton mech. The mech would only be fast if you took machine guns or no ballistics at all, but then you would have no arm-mounted weaponry. So that would be another problem with the design.

Sometimes I think they are so worried about making another Ilya Muromets pay-to-win mech that they end up on the side of pay-to-lose.

#51 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 07 May 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

there isn't enough complaining on this thread. Complain more. Its the only thing we know. Also....I expect this hero mech to disappear

Consider it a "critique".

#52 Rakassan

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

Yes there is a lot of complaining. They build a mech call it "hero" and its the weakes of the quickdraws. Give me a break. No wonder players are quiting and the money is drying up. They are putting out crap. They only way they can ballance things are to take away. UGGG so frustrating. You guys got my money once. Things had better improve soon if you expect to get any more!!!

#53 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

I like it. (2x AC10, 2 M-Lasers)

#54 Smudge504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNewcaslte Upon Tyne

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

View PostRakassan, on 07 May 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Yes there is a lot of complaining. They build a mech call it "hero" and its the weakes of the quickdraws. Give me a break. No wonder players are quiting and the money is drying up. They are putting out crap. They only way they can ballance things are to take away. UGGG so frustrating. You guys got my money once. Things had better improve soon if you expect to get any more!!!

I don't know if you have noticed but all of the 'Hero' mechs are weaker than the standard variants (with the exception of the muro mets) this is because PGI doesn't want MWO to be labeled as a Pay to Win game, yes they give us a unique chassis, one that can do something the rest can't, but then they are obligated to take something away, to stop the majority of cry babies on this forum screaming P2W.

PGI is doing epic things with this game, they have never stopped to astound and please me with the direction they are going. yes there has been hiccups, and yes there has been disappointments, but they are a small company trying to fulfill the wishes of a massive community..

maybe for once give them a break and see they are doing what they can to make MWO work.

Edited by Smudge504, 08 May 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#55 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostSmudge504, on 08 May 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

yes there has been hiccups

Posted Image

Im still holding my breath(wallet), waiting for the hiccups to pass.

#56 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Well, the IV-FOUR appears to be working just fine for me.

I'm currently 1:1 ratio on KDR, right where PGI wants it to be. :D

11 kills, 11 deaths out of 15 matches.

#57 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 07 May 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

I'm liable to not use the ballistic hardpoints- or use only one of them. 'Hero Quickdraw' could have been used for something much more interesting. Even mounting a single-ballistic shoulder would have been a more interesting choice (as arms go pretty quickly on Quickdraws).

-QKD-CR0

I did just as you proposed with mine. I'm only using 1 ballistic point and max engine.

#58 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 09 May 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Well, the IV-FOUR appears to be working just fine for me.

I'm currently 1:1 ratio on KDR, right where PGI wants it to be. :D

11 kills, 11 deaths out of 15 matches.

Please let us know how that KDR looks after about 100 games when you are in a higher ELO bracket with players who can actually aim.

View PostJohn McFianna, on 07 May 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

I like it. (2x AC10, 2 M-Lasers)

This is about the only viable build on this mech.

#59 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostVidarok, on 07 May 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

Of course it has ballistics, otherwise no one would buy it or use it. SRMs are still not working properly (much to my dismay, as the other QKD variants are rare to see)... also, the Quickdraw itself is too large for its tonnage. Glaring issues that are left untouched. If you want to use ballistics, there are far better mechs to use.

In addition, the paintjob is horrible. At least you can change the colors into something that doesn't convey the words "SHOOT THE CRAP OUT OF ME!"

SRMs are actually working great...I decided to take a Catapult A1 and load it with 6 srm4+a, and guess what. Splatcats are back baby!!! Woo!!

I even nailed a firestarter with it and removed the front armor in one salvo from all three of his front torsos. It was glorious.

#60 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

I ***** and moan a lot about stuff in this game I don't like, but I have yet to see PGI use the PTW card in order to sell stuff, and THAT friends, is an admirable thing.

Even if this is the weakest of Qickdraws as some have been saying, I kind of want one in any case. Except for that nasty looking screen they're using for selling the thing. Looks like it got pulled out of a trashcan. Anyone have a better screen of it in game?

Haven't played in a while, mostly been waiting for some changes in Meta, but i think I'll have to drop a few matches this weekend, and I want a new mech to lose in. So...

Edited by verybad, 09 May 2014 - 08:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users