Finally Got Into The Green

15 replies to this topic

#1 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

We it has taken me 350 matches, but I have finally made it to 1.0.... :)

I would not say I have mastered most of my mechs, indeed I doubt if more than 30% of the 26 I own have gotten that far on the mech skills tree.

I will say this I have learned my craft from playing with and being killed by masters who have put hours into this game, I hope that I do my Clan proud in the coming months.

Long live Clan Ghost bear and I for one am thankful for the support and friendships this clan continues to give.

I will not single out any one member of our clan for special praise as you have all contributed to my enjoyment of this online experience.

Bulvar......mechwarrior 1st BG

#2 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

NICE! Increasing your KDR is a good measure of skill, no matter what all the haters say.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 June 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

NICE! Increasing your KDR is a good measure of skill, no matter what all the haters say.

not sure, som of the guys who constantly wait to get the kill but did nothing much to do damage are rarely "skillers". So k/d alone is not an indicator of skill.

#4 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Ya, but no... It is.

#5 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

Ohh wait ahh yip that is my K/D ratio, I think I have the luck of my Forebears on that one.

I was talking about my W/L ratio, it is finally sitting at 542/512, though I see PGI does not seem to keep that as a stat

With an average XP per match only sitting at 972.88 Xp.

Probably not the highest, but I for one am happy with it.

Clan mechs are now 2 weeks away, I am so looking forward to proving the clan mech doubters wrong.

#6 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 June 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

not sure, som of the guys who constantly wait to get the kill but did nothing much to do damage are rarely "skillers". So k/d alone is not an indicator of skill.

Well yes. It is not an indicator of skill, but it does often give a good reflection. I think the actual figure of kills /deaths is also warranted as 6/2 I'd a lot different than 60/20 or 600/20. As well the win /loss ratio.

If you were comparing. Bulvar here is just congratulating himself. I am at 0.94 myself. But since reset and December I have been waiting and having fun, not worried on ratios.
Mostly, I am killing time until June.
As well, congrats Bulvar.

Edited by CoffiNail, 07 June 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#7 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Good job. On the upswing myself.

#8 Omaximus Tseng

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOn route to conquer Terra, With my Ghost Bear brethren.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

A good k/d ratio in most cases is one of the best ways to see how much skill a pilot has. My stats 984 kills 432 deaths in 796 games since the stat reset for a 2.28 K/D ratio with 1538.83 xp per drop. If k/d is not a good gauge to tell skill then what is.

#9 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostJoJo Breeze, on 22 July 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

A good k/d ratio in most cases is one of the best ways to see how much skill a pilot has. My stats 984 kills 432 deaths in 796 games since the stat reset for a 2.28 K/D ratio with 1538.83 xp per drop. If k/d is not a good gauge to tell skill then what is.

It is not. A perfect scout will have very few kills, but many ECM, spotting, tagging, narcing etc. assists. Sure, a perfect scout should not die easily, but if he does his job but the rest of the team fails, he will have his K/D ratio lowered.

There is just no perfect gauge to tell the skill of a player, except the battlefield itself.

#10 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Agreed. Not only what CyclonerM said, but also a k/d means little towards skill as you could hang back and let your team grind the opposition and then go through to mop up, getting killing blows but not doing most of the skilled damaged.

#11 Omaximus Tseng

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOn route to conquer Terra, With my Ghost Bear brethren.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

That's true about scouts in most cases. Im not much of a scout myself mostly medium and heavy but I do have a cicada 3m I use when I do scout and still its 3.25 k/d in 34 drops 39 kills 12 deaths almost 350 dmg a match. As for laying back not my style..
More of a ballistic and laser guy myself. Id rather slug it out then sit back and let my team get murdered. The 2 main things I learned about being a good pilot is shot placement, you can do between 100-150 dmg to a mech and take it out, depending on the size of the mech, the other is teamwork, even if you drop solo a lot, try to work with your teammates. So, I suppose when you put it that way, I can understand how a good k/d could be deceiving and I fully agree that the only real test of skill is on the battlefield.

#12 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

KDR although not quite perfect is still the best measure of skill in this game, and when coupled with damage per match is even more accurate a measure of a players skill.

#13 Ghozzt

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Damage is by far the best indicator. K/D ratio could just mean you happened to be at the right place at the right time to finish off someone elses hard work. While KDR is fun and cool, I personally just play to have fun regardless if my KDR is 10:1, 5:1 or 3:1.

On the forums, who cares. lol?

Edited by Ghozzt, 14 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#14 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

Damage is more an indicator of how inaccurate your shots are, in most cases. It doesn't take 500 damage to leg a Spider, or pop the only good shoulder on a Hunchback.

From what I see in spectator, the secret technique of aiming and leading was lost, eons ago, in the times of mist and chaos...

#15 Tactically-Insane

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

As a team player, I really do not concern myself with KDR. I'd rather sacrifice myself for the team and see them win than get 5 kills and the team lose. Yes, having a bad KDR can make you feel like you are doing badly but you have to take all things into consideration.

#16 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

K/D ratio is somewhat a measure of skill, yet kinda nope.

Sure, if you're playing the same game as the next guy, then K/D can mean you're better, but often times players end up as "finishers" and score very high in the KD department, but don't deliver a whole lot of damage.

I'd say the relationship between pure damage and K/D scores aren't well understood. If your K/D drops but your damage is high each game, then you're probably helping your team deliver on a win greatly.

This is why I don't believe that K/D is a good measurement of skill. I really do appreciate it, but in MWO it excludes so many useful players that I really don't think it's reliable enough to measure a player's overall utility on a team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users