Kai Allard Liao, Timeline Question

14 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'm looking for some help with Kai Allard Liao and his adventures / timeline and hoping someone can point me in the direction of which canon source covers this question.

In 3050, Kai is with the 10th Lyran Guard and fighting on Alyina. He covers Victors retreat and is then recorded as MIA. This is circa July 3050 (Jade Falcon Source Book)

In September 3050 he partakes in the Twycross counterattack and is noted as being involved in the planning prior to that event so I conclude he was back with the 10th Lyran Guard by August 3050.

Subsequently he attends the Dragoon Conference and wins the trial of the heirs, famously refusing to take the Daishi prize. So he was on Outreach approx Jan 3051.

Kai then appears as defeating (in part) Operation Scorpian with his actions back on Alyina. Operation Scorpian took place around the time of Tukayyid making it circa May 3052.

My question is, what happens to Kai between Outreach and how does he get back to Alyina in time to be part of the Operation Scorpian machinations?

He could not have been looking for his wife still as she was with him on Twycross, so I am confused as to why and how Kai went back to Alyina after Outreach, more so given it was a Jade Falcon occupied planet since July 3050.

Can anyone provide clarity on which part of the puzzle I am missing?

Thanks

#2 AAllard

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Read some of the novels Assumption of Risk and the Kerinsky Trilogy. Some of the dates look off. Just my suggestion. If I remember Twycross happens before Outreach then Alyina and Operation Scorpoin happens at the end of the Battle of Alyina.

#3 Fat Amy

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 12 May 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

In 3050, Kai is with the 10th Lyran Guard and fighting on Alyina. He covers Victors retreat and is then recorded as MIA. This is circa July 3050 (Jade Falcon Source Book

Thanks

This doesnt seem right. Cant say for sure right now but I believe Alyina was at a later time. Must have been after Twycross since Kai had his reputation for that one when he fought Taman Malthus.

Where there not two battles on Alyina, second one being the attempt to win it back?

#4 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostFat Amy, on 12 May 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

This doesnt seem right. Cant say for sure right now but I believe Alyina was at a later time. Must have been after Twycross since Kai had his reputation for that one when he fought Taman Malthus.

Where there not two battles on Alyina, second one being the attempt to win it back?

View PostAAllard, on 12 May 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Read some of the novels Assumption of Risk and the Kerinsky Trilogy. Some of the dates look off. Just my suggestion. If I remember Twycross happens before Outreach then Alyina and Operation Scorpoin happens at the end of the Battle of Alyina.

The Jade Falcon Source book definitly has the Alyina Invasion down as a Wave 4 planet in July 3050?

The only Counter attack planet I know of (excluding the non canon Somerset one) is Twycross in Sept 3050.

Is there a second battle for Alyina? Or is the first one in the Jade Falcon Source Book incorrect?

#5 Valensoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationReady Aim Fire

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

google kai allard liao sarna it should fill in the time gaps for you

Edited by Valensoul, 12 May 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#6 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I've got the Blood of Kerensky trilogy buried in some boxes upstairs, have to see if I can find some time to dig for them and flip through them to see if it hints at connecting the dots.

As I recall it's more of a "those details aren't important, so we'll just kind of skip them" kind of storytelling thing, but it's been awhile since I read it.

#7 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

http://www.sarna.net...Kai_Allard-Liao

3050 Battle of Twycross
3051 Outreach, Clan debriefing
3052 Alyina
3053 Solaris VII
3054 Solaris VII Champion
3055 Solaris VII Champion
3056 Solaris VII Champion
3059 Operation Bulldog with St Yves Lancers
3060 Huntress and Strana Mechty, mop up crew

and so on and so on ;-)

#8 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

I've been reading through the entire battletech collection since I started playing MWO... so many awful(but awesome) books... and I think that timeline is a little off.

Alyina was well after Twycross right?

Edited by Sam Slade, 12 May 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostKain, on 12 May 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...Kai_Allard-Liao

3050 Battle of Twycross
3051 Outreach, Clan debriefing
3052 Alyina
3053 Solaris VII
3054 Solaris VII Champion
3055 Solaris VII Champion
3056 Solaris VII Champion
3059 Operation Bulldog with St Yves Lancers
3060 Huntress and Strana Mechty, mop up crew

and so on and so on ;-)

So the Jade Falcon Source book is superceded by Sarna? That seems a little strange?

Have you a canon source about the Alyina battle you could direct me to?

Thanks

#10 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 12 May 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

So the Jade Falcon Source book is superceded by Sarna? That seems a little strange?

Have you a canon source about the Alyina battle you could direct me to?

Thanks

Yeah it is strange that the source book is mentioning 3050, because after their defeat at twycross, they restarted late 3051 with their invasion, and it was late 3051 till they reached Alyina. in the Inner Sphere.

But this is all from the novels point of view with sarna as backup ;)
You can read it in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy,
In the 3rd book "Lost Destiny" it is about Kai on Alyina.

Here i copied a part:

Mar *****, Alyina
TreUshire, Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
5 January 3052
Gray smoke cloaked the dark ocean, hiding Kai Allard as his head broke the surface of the water. The eerie quiet, marred only by his ragged, air-sucking gasps, surprised him. This is a war zone, but I don't hear anything! He fought down the irrational fear that his 'Mech's collision with a Clan OmniMech might have deafened as well as knocked him out. No, if that were true, I wouldn't hear either my breathing or the waves.
Kai turned in the direction of the cliff from where his 'Mech had plunged into the waters of Mar *****. In answer to Prince Victor Davion's urgent call, Kai and his lance had rushed to Victor's defense. Equipped with experimental myomer muscles, Kai's modified Centurion had swiftly outdistanced his companions. Reaching the battle zone first, he saw Hanse Davion's heir in a damaged BattleMech beset by four of the Clans' finest.

Edited by Kain, 12 May 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#11 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostKain, on 12 May 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yeah it is strange that the source book is mentioning 3050, because after their defeat at twycross, they restarted late 3051 with their invasion, and it was late 3051 till they reached Alyina. in the Inner Sphere.

But this is all from the novels point of view with sarna as backup :D
You can read it in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy,
In the 3rd book "Lost Destiny" it is about Kai on Alyina.

Here i copied a part:

OK, well that excerpt reads as the correct battle / synopsis, but the timeline is out of whack with the Jade Falcon Source Book.

Your source puts Alyina as a Wave 5 attack after the pause and pre Tukayyid, so the story line fits. Novels are canon (Sarna not so much ;)) so I'll just assume a subsequent print date superceded?

Thank you for taking the time to post the canon.

I'll dig up my copy and re read too :wub:

#12 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

Well, Sarna isn't really a "source" per se. More like a, source for sources...many of which are official canon.

In the case of K.A.L. I think the novel probably supersedes the JFSB for accuracy, but I've never seen any sort of official "JFSB Errata Sheet" or anything.

As it stands, Sarna simply represents the best available online compilation/database of canon sources.

#13 grml666

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAruba

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Another curious thing is the japanese sun painted on Yen-Lo-Wang, the chinese god of death ...

#14 Hrunting

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Your time line is off (According to the The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy)

Battle of Alyina is in 3052 AFTER Twycross (3050) and after training and his sorta ToP on Outreach (Several months of 3051)

Alyina is in 3052 and Kai is left behind (and presumed dead) for several weeks or months. He then helps liberate Alyina by working with the clans to fight comstar and Operation Scorpion.

At least that how I remember it going in the books.

#15 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

To utter that name here is blasphemous.

Head over to the Davion forum for better results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users